Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Bose Lifestyle® 28 Series III DVD home entertainment system delivers impressive home theater performance in a sleek, décor-friendly design. The system's built-in DVD player gives you a clear, crisp picture, and its four tiny dual-cube speakers, horizontal center channel speaker, and hideaway Acoustimass® module fill your room with deep, rich Bose sound.
Built-in home theater processing lets you enjoy exciting audio effects with DVD movie soundtracks, and Bose's proprietary Videostage® 5 circuitry creates engaging surround sound from CDs, videotapes, and even TV broadcasts. You can control the system plus your TV, VCR, and cable box or satellite receiver from anywhere in your home using the universal RF remote. And to maximize your entertainment options, this system includes a "Bose link" connection for hooking up the Lifestyle® 28 system to a compatible Bose system in another room.
The included ADAPTiQ® auto calibration system tailors the sound to the size and shape of your specific room. It's a one-time setup process that's incredibly easy — just put on the supplied headset equipped with built-in microphones, sit in five of your favorite spots, and the ADAPTiQ® system does the rest. The included Bose® software analyzes a series of test tones, allowing your Lifestyle® 28 system to adjust itself for optimal performance. Now you're ready to experience your movie and music library with wraparound sound.
- video-shielded horizontal center channel speaker
- swiveling dual-cube design satellite speakers (front left/right, surround left/right), video shielded
- Acoustimass® module
- plays DVD-Video discs, DVD-Rs & DVD-RWs, CDs, audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- built-in Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding for surround sound from DVDs
- Bose Videostage® 5 steering circuitry for surround sound from VHS, stereo, and mono sources
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- ADAPTiQ® audio calibration system
- Bose® link output allows music playback in other rooms using compatible Bose gear
- 25 AM/25 FM presets
- 1 video input/output (composite, S-video, and component component video output requires included adapter)
- inputs and switching for 4 audio sources (4 analog, 4 coaxial digital, 1 optical digital)
- stereo analog output
- digital outputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- universal RF remote operates video components from other brands
- media center: 15-3/4"W x 3-3/4"H x 11-1/2"D
- center channel: 6-1/4"W x 3-1/8"H x 4-1/8"D
- satellite speakers: 3"W x 6-1/4"H x 4"D
- Acoustimass® module: 8"W x 13"H x 21-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Transform your TV experience
Enjoy rich, robust sound that puts you right in the middle of your favorite movies, TV shows, and video games. Powered home theater systems come with speakers and a subwoofer plus the amplification to drive them. Many of these systems feature low-profile consoles and ultra-compact speakers for minimal visual clutter. Some include a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player for enjoying movie and concert discs.
Bose® Lifestyle® 28 system Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Bose Lifestyle 28 system
This system is great. In 5-years and two moves not a single problem. The sound is very good the ease of set up is a dream especially compared to my old system (which would be the same challenge for most systems); the look is simple, clean and modern. The controls are easy to use, very intuitive and functional.
We replaced a tube TV and a bunch of audio pieces and speakers with the Bose system and a plasma TV and are exceptionally glad we did. The single box is your AM/FM tuner, CD player, DVD player. I also have a multi disk CD player hooked up as well (hidden in a cabinet). We eliminated a bulky entertainment center by simply attaching the TV to the wall and putting a small buffet below it which has the cable box and Bose box on it. Very, Very clean looking.
Bose got it right with a trifecta combination of quality sound, easy set up, very functional and intuitive controls and the bonus of being compact.
the only improvement I would like to see is the ability to add speaker zones. We wanted to hook up some auxiliary outside speakers but there is no connection for this.
We highly recommend the Bose System
Two systems on the yacht I run
We fitted two systems on the yacht, a 28 and a 38 which we linked together. Everything about the whole system was brilliant, including the additional amps for external speakers. If I could think of any critism it would be that it is a little too complicated that most guests have no clue how to operate them. Definately worth the extra $ over the cheaper, Sony or Toshiba systems.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
There is no shortage of people complaining on the Internet. This is not one of them. I got the lifestyle 28 a few months ago - it's been flawless. Example: I was watching TV when I heard a cricket cheep by the front door. I just hung my head and thought "Oh, no". There was no cricket. It was the surround sound. I was watching "The Desert Speaks" in HD. Get it? The DVD player - WOW - if you think surround sound is good from TV, wait until you hear it from DVD.
What's in the box?
- White Acoustimass module
- 4 White Cube speakers
- White horizontal center channel speaker
- Silver and black Media Center
- Setup Disc 1
- Setup Disc 2
- Headset with attached 30' cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors)
- White RC18T1-27 wireless remote control
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- DCS91 Media Center power supply with attached 6' cord (Output: 33V/1.1A Max)
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 1 AM antenna base
- 1 FM wire antenna
- 7.8' AC power cord (for use with Media Center power supply)
- 6.25' Acoustimass module AC power cord
- 5.75' S-video cable (has an S-video connector on each end)
- 6' Composite video cable (has an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- 6' Stereo audio cable (has left and right RCA audio connectors on each end)
- 29.5' Audio input cable ( 9-pin male connector on each end)
- Three 19.5' front white speaker cables (each cable has a single RCA connector on one end and tinned wire on the other end)
- Two 49.75' surround white speaker cables (each cable has a single RCA connector on one end and tinned wire on the other end)
- 2 Component video adapters (has S-video and RCA composite video connectors on one end and 3 RCA jacks on the other end)
- TV on/off sensor with attached 6' cord (cord is terminated with a minijack mono connector)
- 2 Self-adhesive Velcro mounting strips (for mounting TV on/off sensor)
- IR emitter with attached 6' cord (cord is terminated with a minijack mono connector)
- 1 Self-adhesive foam pad (for mounting IR emitter)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet (for the Acoustimass module)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet (for one Jewel Cube speaker)
- Operating Guide (English/Spanish/French)
- Installation Guide (English/Spanish/French)
- Important Safety Instructions
- Bose Product Registration and Warranty Information
- AM antenna instructions
- Quick set up guide
- "Our Commitment To You" letter
- List of worldwide Bose corporate contacts
Integrated System Design: The Bose Lifestyle 28 III system is designed so every element including the media center, speakers and Acoustimass module work in harmony, enhancing performance and ease of operation.
Media Center: The media center includes an integrated DVD player and AM/FM tuner and provides access to more of today's most popular audio and video content, including CDs, CD-R/RWs, DVDs, DVD-R/RWs, Video CDs and MP3 CDs. The media center incorporates advanced radio frequency (RF), infrared (IR) and TV power sensing, and works with the universal radio frequency remote for control integration.
- Audio CDs (including those with DTS)
- CD-R, CD-RW, or CD-ROM
- MP3 CDS (all tracks burned in a single/closed session, use of ISO9660 disc format, each file named with an".mp3" extension and no other periods, file tags no higher than ID3 (ID3v2)
- SACD (if content is CD-compatible)
- Video CDs
- DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW
- Video DVDs (including those with DTS and those with Dolby Digital
Acoustimass Module: Innovative technology within the improved Acoustimass module in the Lifestyle 28 III system combines to deliver the clarity of pure bass reproduction down to the lowest frequencies, even at the loudest levels. The design allows prodigious airflow at the lowest bass frequencies, working to recreate bass so natural and pure, its source is almost impossible to localize.
Cube Array Speakers: These cube speakers feature revolutionary Direct/Reflecting speaker technology to create an exceptionally wide soundstage in the listening area. The speakers swivel left to right allowing you to reflect sound off your room's walls, as well as project it directly into the room. You will be immersed in a surround sound experience similar to what you'd get in a movie theater.
Horizontal center channel speaker: The horizontal center channel speaker enables acoustic and aesthetic synchronization with your TV. The speaker keeps dialogue focused on the screen, and complements the dimensions of today's flat-panel televisions.
Direct/Reflecting Speaker Technology: This technology allows you to experience lifelike spaciousness from a natural balance of reflected and direct sound; similar to a live performance.
Surround Sound Decoding: The Media Center has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. For analog sources, Bose's Videostage 5 decoding circuitry (see below) is included.
Videostage 5 Decoding Circuitry: While digital 5.1 decoding takes the home theater experience to a new level, you can enjoy it only from properly encoded materials like DVDs, digital satellite broadcasts, and HDTV. Unlike conventional digital systems, the Bose Videostage 5 decoding circuitry gives you a five-channel surround sound experience from everything you listen to, including VHS tapes, stereo CDs, even mono TV programs.
Bose Link: Using optional Bose components, you can enjoy the same source at the same time in 14 different rooms, or two different sources at the same time in 14 different rooms. The optional Bose link A cable is used to connect the system to a Bose SA-2 or SA-3 amplifier. The optional Bose link B cable allows you to connect a Bose 3-2-1 Series II system or a Bose Wave radio/CD II. This technology can also be enabled without any room-to-room wiring with the purchase of the Bose link AL8 homewide wireless audio link.
On-Screen Settings Menu: The on-screen settings menu allows for simple and efficient system control.
Audio Settings: You can adjust the following audio settings:
- Movie EQ: automatically sets bass and treble compensation for the proper playback of movie sound tracks
- Range Compression: range compression automatically adjusts the volume to allow you to hear soft sounds and to prevent you from being overwhelmed by a loud special effect, such as an explosion
- Mono Decoding: automatically engages Bose Videostage decoding when a Dolby Digital bitstream indicates that it contains a mono program
- Center Channel: focuses or softens the presentation of center-channel sound
- Surround: allows you to adjust the level of the surround speakers
2-3-5 Speakers: This feature allows you determine the number of speakers you want playing along with the Acoustimas module.
- 2 speakers: front left and right speakers
- 3 speakers: front left and right along with center channel speaker
- 5 speaker: all speakers playing along with Acoustimas module
Bass/Treble Control: The system allows you to independently adjust the bass and treble from -14 to +14 or -9 to +6 (following ADAPTiQ calibration).
Signal Loudness: This functions decreases or increased the signal level to match the levels of other components. You can choose from Normal, -6, -3, +3, or +6.
Video Black Level: This function adjusts the screen black level depending on your television. You can select between Normal or Extended.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles.
Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Station Presets: The built-in tuner allows you to store up to 20 AM and 20 FM stations. Once a station is stored in memory, you can select it using the remote control or the on-screen settings menu.
Tuner Output Mode: You can select the radio signal transmission from Auto, Mono, to Stereo.
Parental Control: This system allows you to set playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a Parental Control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer turns the system off after a set period of time. You can adjust the sleep timer from 10 to 90 minutes in 10-minute increments.
Display Brightness: The display on the Media Center can be adjusted to one of seven brightness levels.
Selectable Video Format: The system can output video in NTSC or PAL format.
Changing the Video Output for Component Video Connections: If your TV or video monitor is capable of component video input signals, and you have connected your TV to your system using the component video adapter (included), you must change the video output setting in the video menu. This will enable the media center to output a component video signal through the S-video and composite video jacks. You can select between either Standard component connection or Progressive Scan component connection.
Notes: You must use the supplied Component and Composite/S-video adaptors to support a component video connection. The integrated receiver does not have actual component video inputs or outputs on the unit. You must plug the above mentioned adaptors into the Video In/Video Out Composite/S-video connections to supply a component video signal.
TV Aspect Ratio: You can select the screen size between Normal (4:3) or Widescreen (16:9) depending on your TV's aspect ratio.
16:9 Reformat: This feature reformats Widescreen DVD videos to fit a 4:3 TV screen automatically when the function is set to "Modified".
TV On/Off Sensor: The TV on/off sensor works with the system to automatically turn on the TV, as needed, when another video source is selected. The TV sensor plugs into the back of the media center and then mounts to the back of your TV with the supplied velcro strips.
Note: Front Projectors with a separate screen may not work with the sensor.
Headphone: For private listening, you can connect headphones to the jack, which is located on the right side of the media center.
Note: Connecting headphone mutes all main room speakers.
Product Overview: The Bose ADAPTiQ Audio Calibration System customizes the Lifestyle system to the size and shape of the room and the position of the listeners/viewers in the room. It contains a special headset that contains microphones instead of speakers and two audio calibration discs. Once the Lifestyle system has been properly connected, it will take about 20 minutes to complete the process. The calibration process consists of generating and analyzing sounds through the Lifestyle system, then allowing the software to self-adjust the system's parameters to give you optimum performance for your room and approximate seating positions.
Headset: The special headset supplied with the ADAPTiQ system has no speakers, but special microphones designed to be worn above the ears. It enables you to take acoustic measurements in your room during the custom equalization process. The headset has an adjustable headband (7.5"-9.5") and a 30' cord terminating in a pair of stereo male RCA plugs. These plug into the left and right AUX input on the rear panel of the Lifestyle system.
Setup Discs: The ADAPTiQ system contains two setup discs. Disc 1 verifies that your system's speakers are connected correctly and ensures complete performance from your Lifestyle system. Disc 2 leads you through the audio calibration process, which tailors the sound of your Lifestyle system for the acoustics of your listening area.
Future Applications: Moving your Lifestyle 28 III system to another room, or significantly changing the arrangement of the existing room (relocate seating, furniture, speakers or the Acoustimass module) will change the acoustic environment of the listening area. When that occurs, you can repeat the process to customize the system for the new environment.
Multibrand RF Remote: The remote is pre-programmed to control this system and certain functions on other brands of TVs, VCRs, and cable/satellite receivers. In addition, the remote emits a powerful RF (radio frequency) signal, allowing you to operate your system from another room.
Control Integration: The Media Center and universal radio frequency (RF) remote combine to provide complete system control. A radio frequency receiver is built into the Media Center for exclusive communication with the Bose remote. The infrared (IR) control system includes an infrared receiver and an infrared transmitter, allowing the Media Center to retransmit operating commands from the radio frequency Bose remote to the infrared-based video components, such as a TV or cable box.
IR Emitter Cable: If a component does not respond to the Lifestyle system remote control commands, the IR signals may not be reaching it. Connect the supplied IR emitter to establish a solid, stronger response.
Media Center Rear Panel:
- AM Antenna: female mono sub-mini
- FM Antenna: threaded F-connection
- RC: female mono sub-mini for use with an optional antenna extender
- DC Power: DC jack for use with Media Center power supply
- TV Sensor: minijack for use with supplied TV on/off sensor
- IR Emitter: minijack for use with supplied IR emitter
- Serial Data: minijack
- Main: 8-pin jack that connects to the Acoustimass module using the supplied audio input cable
- Bose Link: 8-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Bose component
- Optical Input: standard Toslink digital input with a plastic cover
- Optical Output: standard Toslink digital output with a plastic cover
- Audio Output: left and right RCA audio jacks and a standard coaxial digital jack
- Aux Input: left and right RCA audio jacks and a standard coaxial digital jack
- CBL/SAT Input: left and right RCA audio jacks and a standard coaxial digital jack
- VCR Input: left and right RCA audio jacks and a standard coaxial digital jack
- TV Input: left and right RCA audio jacks and a standard coaxial digital jack
- Video Inputs: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video Outputs: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Ethernet: data port for future use
Media Center Right Side:
- Phones: stereo minijack headphone output
Acoustimass Module Rear Panel:
- Audio Input: 9-pin jack that connects to the Media Center using the supplied audio input cable
- Outputs to Cube Speakers: 5 RCA jacks (front left, front right, center, surround left, and surround right)
- AC Power Jack: for use with supplied Acoustimass module AC power cord
Cube Array Speaker Inputs: The 4 satellite cube array speakers have a 2-prong input that is spring loaded for use with the supplied speaker wire (tinned wire end), the center channel cube array speaker uses standard spring clip connections for the supplied speaker wire (tinned wire end).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.