Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Built for boating
If you're serious about sound quality on land and sea, you need a high-performance marine-rated receiver – like Clarion's CMD8. This CD receiver is engineered to meet or exceed the toughest industry standards for salt/fog exposure and UV resistance, so it's ready to withstand the rigors of life on the water. With this receiver, you can take your entertainment offshore with confidence.
Smart, integrated design
Clarion invests thousands of hours of testing into making their marine receivers tough enough to withstand salt water, heavy fog, blistering sunlight, and lashing rain. All that research gives you features like a coated, sealed circuit board and a front panel that provides water resistance and durability. With a simple press of a button, the panel flips down to reveal the CD slot. You can play your favorite store-bought CDs, or enjoy discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files.
Get connected and take control
Sure, you use your boat to get away from it all – but not all that far, and certainly not all the time. The CMD8 gives you direct control over your iPhone® or iPod® via USB, and you can also use your iPhone to enjoy the same great Pandora® Internet radio stations you enjoy back on shore. Give a new song the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" while you're enjoying old favorites (or those about to be).
The CMD8 is built to last, but it's also ready to rock. With a built-in MOSFET amplifier, a 3-band equalizer, and high and low pass filters, you'll get great sound, no matter what source you're listening to. When it's time to expand your system, you'll be thankful for the 4-channel preamp outputs, complete with subwoofer controls. It's also compatible with Clarion's wired and wireless remotes.
If you're a SiriusXM satellite radio subscriber (or plan to be), the CMD8 works with the SXV200 tuner (sold separately). You'll enjoy a vast selection of music, news, entertainment and sports programming, as far as 100 miles offshore. You can even tag your favorite songs and purchase them on iTunes later.
Installation Note: This marine receiver's chassis will fit in a standard DIN (2" x 7") opening, but its oversize face can cause problems in certain applications. Please check the receiver's dimensions in Details to make sure it'll work in your boat.
- marine CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amp (18 watts x 4 RMS CEA-2006 / 45 peak x 4 channels)
- Pandora® control via USB iPod/iPhone app
- iPod/iPhone direct control via USB
- watertight flip-down face
- sealed, coated circuit board
- meets or exceeds ASTM D4329 (UV exposure)
- meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (salt/fog exposure)
- 3-band parametric equalizer
- built-in high- and low-pass filters
- Magna Bass EX sound enhancement
- long memory retention for presets
- low power consumption mode when powered off
- compatible with SiriusXM SXV200 tuner (not included)
- inputs: rear USB with water resistant cap; 2-channel RCA audio auxiliary inputs (rear)
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/sub)
- works with a variety of wired and wireless Clarion remotes
- CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Clarion CMD8 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
used this same model to replace what was in boat. all existing wiring and remote just plugged in 10 minutes to install. very happy with the quick install.
Pros: great sounding unit
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This marine radio/CD/receiver replaced an old clarion and was easy to install. The wiring instructions were easy to follow. Also got the portable remote, had everything up and running in under an hour. The Crutchfield tech said it would be an easy install and it was!
Cons: did not have a usb port, had to install one, but it had wiring to accept the added usb.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Awesome quality and value. Paired with JL speakers on my 22' Bay Boat sounds are great. Easy to read display and controls.
Pros: Quality, sounds and value. Water proof. Ease of hooking up wiring harness.
Cons: Channel programming. Had to add an adaptor plate because unit was smaller then previous Clarion radio this was replacing.
Clarion CMD8 a good boat stereo
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I had a Clarion XMD1 so we replaced it in my older 2004 TIGe boat, one reason I replaced it with the Clarion CMD8 is it was close to the size of hole left in my boat by my old Clarion XMD1 and the wiring harness plugged right in and the Amp plugged in much to my surprise also the newer TIGe boat comes with the Clarion CMD8 stereo that I've heard and it rocks, it has the capability so you can have one amp for tower speakers and one amp for a subwoofer. I also got the wireless Clarion remote and from the boats driver seat you can tune it. A great boat stereo.
Pros: Waterproof, Ipod compatible, expanable for two Amps, speakers and subwoofer.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I wanted a marine stereo that was simple to use by having Large easy to see push buttons, and this unit was exactly what I was looking for, plus it's watertight, and that's another feature I wanted with out having to buy a protective cover for it to keep out rain, fog, or any other moisture that may come it's way. I also had to Fabricate a overlay plate for it out of Aluminum sheet, then I glued a nice grey marine carpet over that, and it looks very sharp and custom in my fishing boat. It plays my CD's and Ipod player great, but the Clarion CMD8 does lack the power to help the Clarion Speakers punch out the great sound. I knew this before I purchased the unit, but that was okay with me, because I was going to purchase a Clarion amplifier to go with the Unit to boost the sound/power and now the speakers sound great! Most people purchase a power amplifier with there higher power receivers anyways, so it made no difference to me. I installed the player next to the passengers seat so they could easily put CD's in the player or play the radio etc....and I added the Clarion Remote Control in front of me while I drive the boat, so I could have control from there also. All together I'm happy with the performance of all the Clarion products I purchased
Pros: Large easy to see buttons, ease of use, watertight
Cons: Lacks power
Just what I expected
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Purchased this to replace an older Clarion with a similar footprint, still needed to fabricate an overlay plate. Nice unit, all the features I needed.
What's in the box?
- Marine AM/FM CD receiver (with rubber gasket and two transport screws installed)
- Wiring harness (with in-line 15A and 1A fuses installed)
- Six 1-1/8" self-tapping screws
- Hex nut
- 2 Flat washers
- Rear support strap
- Self-adhesive pad
- Owner's/Installation Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet
- Installation template
- Caution note
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output||18 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Marine Tested: The Clarion CMD8 Marine CD receiver has been engineered and tested for use in the harsh marine environment. The receiver meets or exceeds ASTM B117 Salt/Fog Exposure and ASTM D4329 UV Exposure standards. The CMD8 offers full IPX5 tested and certified Water Intrusion protection. The faceplate features a unique rubber gasket and door assembly offering the internal components complete water protection. The unit features a sealed stainless steel chassis, a front panel rubber gasket and drip shield over the wire connections to keep water from dripping onto the internal circuits, behind the faceplate and wire connections. The receiver also features a HumiSeal coated PCB to protect against corrosion. This means the main circuit boards feature a silicone coating to help resist the effects of humidity.
Oversized Fold-Down Face: The CMD8 features an oversized fold-down face with a rubber surround so your CD-disc stays protected behind the unit's marine rated face-plate. The front panel mechanically folds down to load and eject CDs. The unit's face features a high visibility 2-line display. The face-plate is not detachable. The fold-down face requires 3.5" of space to open.
Contrast: You can set the contrast level between 1 and 10 for best display visibility.
Illumination Dimmer: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the boats lights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the boats light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate.
Screen Saver: This unit is provided with a Screen Saver function which allows you to show various kinds of patterns and characters in the operation status indication area of the display in a random order. You can turn this function on or off. If the button operation is performed with the screen saver function "On", the operation display corresponding to the button operation is shown for about 30 seconds and then the display returns to the screen saver display.
Compatible Discs: The Clarion CMD8 marine CD receiver supports playback of CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and CD-Text discs. The unit will play back MP3/WMA audio files recorded on CD-R/RW discs.
USB Port: The Clarion CMD8 is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port attached to the chassis by a 39" pigtail that which allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3/WMA audio files stored on compatible USB mass-storage class devices. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (0.5A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
MP3/WMA Playback: The Clarion CMD8 supports the following types of MP3/WMA files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB Storage Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Apple ISO||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
WMA: bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||3,000 total files/999 files per folder||510 total files/255 files per folder|
|Tags||ID3 tags, WMA tags|
Top Function: The Top Function resets the CD player to the first track of a CD-audio disc. In the case of an MP3/WMA disc, the first track of a folder being played will be reset.
Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 10 seconds of all the tracks recorded on a CD or the first 10 seconds of the first track of all the folders on an MP3/WMA disc or USB device.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 15 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Backup Eject: The Backup Eject feature allows you to eject a disc even if the power to the unit is turned off.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Clarion CMD8 allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone to the head unit 's rear-panel USB port using your iPod's dock- or lightning-to-USB cable for audio playback, control, metadata display, and charging of your iPod/iPhone.
- iPod DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit 's 1-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 80dB.
- Audio Playback: The Clarion head unit supports audio playback of music files stored on your iPod or iPhone. iPod Video can be viewed by connecting the CMD8 to an external universal monitor with RCA video input and connecting a compatible iPod/iPhone via the optional Clarion CCA748 cable (020CCA748, sold separately).
- Music Navigation: You can choose to control the
iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or
- Head Unit Control: The Clarion head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can search these categories alphabetically (A-Z). You can also control the following playback functions of your iPod/iPhone - Skip Tracks, Fast-forward/backward, Pause, Repeat, and Random.
- Simple Control Mode: In Simple Control mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You can also listen to your favorite music apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker) from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Clarion head unit and your vehicle's speakers. Basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next) can be controlled from the head unit. However, you will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen for advance navigation of your music apps. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode.
- Information Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, and Artist/Artist name. The head unit will also display song/artist information from the Pandora App. It will not display metadata from other streamed apps or when in Simple Control mode. Simple Control mode only displays "iPod" across the screen.
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Clarion CMD8 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/9/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||Pandora app||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: This unit features a rear mounted, stereo RCA auxiliary input on a 6" pigtail so you can connect an external audio source. The sensitivity of the inputs can be set (low, mid, or high) to match the output of the auxiliary source to the other sources.
AM/FM Tuner: The CMD8 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with U.S. and European tuning. The built-in tuner offer 3 tuning modes - Seek, Manual, and Preset. The CMD8 provides 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. Each AM/FM bank can hold up to 6 station presets, proving you with 18 FM station presets and 6 AM station presets. Stations can be stored manually or automatically. Preset scan receives the stations stored in the head unit 's preset memory in order. This function is useful when searching for a desired station in memory.
Pandora App Control: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion CMD8 using your connected Apple iPhone, via the dock- or lightning-to-USB cable supplied with your iPhone. The Clarion CMD8 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). Or, you can create a new station from the current playing artist or song. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Clarion CMD8 comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM & Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options & channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets w/ Preset Scan
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on the XM Network. However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion CMD8 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the CMD8 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the CMD8 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 45 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
BeatEQ: BeatEQ lets you tune the sound to your liking, depending on the category of music, for a more fulfilling listening experience. The Clarion CD receiver provides 4 preset EQ curves (Bass Boost, Impact, Excite, Off) and 1 custom EQ curve. Bass Boost emphasizes the bass portion of your music; Impact emphasizes the bass & treble portions of your music; Excite emphasizes bass, midrange & treble portions of your music; while Flat sets the bass, midrange, & treble to 0. The Custom EQ lets you freely customize the frequency, Q-factor, and level of the bass, midrange, & treble. BeatEQ settings are applied to all sources.
|BeatEQ (Custom Mode)||Frequency||Q-Factor||Level|
|Bass||50Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz||0.7, 1, 1.4, 2.0||-7 to + 7 dB|
|Midrange||500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz|
|Treble||5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz|
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
4ch/2V Preamp Output: The Clarion CMD8 features 4ch/2V RCA line level outputs (Front, Rear/SW). The unit's rear preamp outputs can be configured as a dedicated non-fading RCA subwoofer output with a low-pass filter and level control (+/-6).
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion CMD8 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer preamp output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The CMD8 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or preamp-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
Beep: The head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Optional Wireless Remotes: The CMD8 is compatible with Clarion's RCB-176 IR remote control (020RCB176, sold separately) for wireless operation of the marine receiver. Its also compatible with Clarion's wireless RF remote control kit (020MF1, sold separately).
Wired & Wireless Remotes (Optional): The unit is equipped with a rear mounted 8-pin DIN connector to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls.
- Wired Remote: The MW1 (020MW1; sold separately) is a hardwired remote control with an LCD display,
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (020MF1, sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (020MF2, sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control your 2009-up Clarion marine receiver via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (iOS 6.0+).
Note: When two remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's Y-adapter (020MWRYC, sold separately) is required.
Mounting: The CMD8 requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Six screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A clear, self-adhesive template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes. You can install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
Note: The receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard I-, J-, or E-sized automotive installation.
Dimensions: The receiver has the following dimensions:
- Chassis Width: 7.125"
- Chassis Height: 2.015"
- Chassis Depth: 7.125"
- Nose Width: 7.705"
- Nose Height: 3.505"
- Nose Depth: 1.8125"
Screw Hole Pattern: The faceplate has four mounting holes across the top, above the chassis, and two holes below the chassis for securing the unit to the bulkhead. The screw hole spacing is as follows:
- Top Row:
- Total Width: 7.0625"
- Width Between Two Center Holes: 2.375"
- Width Between End Holes and Adjacent Center Holes: 2.375"
- Bottom Row Width: 7.25"
- Height (Between Top and Bottom Rows): 2.9375"
- Screw Mounting Depth: 0.875"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
4 questions already asked
Yes you can [ David May 12, 2015 ]
Yes you can. I installed a 1200 watt amp to mine. If I remember correctly you can hook up to two amps to it [ ROBERT May 11, 2015 ]
Yes, you can install an amplifier to it. I have. [ CHRIS L May 11, 2015 ]
Yes - I am using a 5 channel JL Audio Marine amp. Super easy hook up [ DANIEL May 11, 2015 ]
It is very unlikely that the pin-outs on the receivers will be the same, so you will need to at least replace the wiring harness. The rest may be re-useable, but you will want to contact an Advisor to be sure. You can reach by phone or click on Contact Us at the top of the page to chat. [ Jeff May 04, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: At this time the Clarion CMD8 Marine CD Receiver is the current model. We do not carry a unit exactly like this Clarion with Bluetooth. Here is a link to the Bluetooth Marine stereos: http://www.crutchfield.com/g_215950/Marine-Receivers.html?tp=61742#?nvpair=FFBluetooth_Audio_Streaming|Built-in&avf=N If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jun 21, 2014 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone or online chat to discuss the dimensions and connections between the two units. They will be able to pull up your current gear and see if this will match up. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Jeff Dec 27, 2013 ] Staff