Our take on the Yamaha A-S3000
Yamaha still builds ‘em like they used to
Remember those big ol' amplifiers with the level meters on the front? They were, and still are, the envy of many audiophiles, conjuring the glory days of overbuilt audio gear when sound quality trumped features and connectivity. But you don't have to scour specialty shops for the remaining few vintage amps out there. Yamaha has created a modern version, with all the benefits of those classic amps — even the level meters — alongside the latest audio technology. The A-S3000 integrated amplifier is a seriously sophisticated machine with an important mission: to get the best performance from your speakers while keeping every detail of your music intact.
Brute force and finesse in equal measure
The A-S3000's interior features high-quality components such as a large toroidal power transformer.
Beneath the A-S3000's thick aluminum top plate, Yamaha has carefully laid out this heavyweight amplifier for uncompromised sonic performance. There's a massive toroidal power transformer, delivering a heavy dose of clean current to satisfy even demanding 4-ohm speakers. But superior sound is about more than just brute force. That's where Yamaha's exclusive Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier comes in. It employs a symmetrical layout with isolated circuitry, ensuring a very high signal-to-noise ratio and a large, well-defined soundstage. This design also separates the power amp circuit from the "ground," so even tiny voltage fluctuations don't adversely affect sound quality. And the fully balanced signal path ensures an ultra-low-noise signal — all the way from your XLR-compatible sources to just before the output stage.
No (musical) detail is too small
Sophisticated circuitry is just one aspect of this amp's high-quality construction. Yamaha has paid particular attention to how those circuits interact. Crucial internal connections are made with screws rather than solder, and short cable runs are employed wherever possible — all to eliminate signal loss. The interior copper-plated frame reinforces the chassis's rigid construction, to minimize distortion-inducing vibrations while offering a sturdy mount for the power supply. Every circuit has been deliberately placed to prevent internal interference, preserving the integrity of each channel's output to your left and right speakers. It all represents Yamaha's dedication to preserving even the faintest musical details while offering sound marked by superior warmth and spaciousness.
The A-S3000 features front-panel level meters for each channel, just like those cool vintage amps of yesteryear.
A sight to behold
Those of us who cherish our audio gear don't like to hide it in cabinets. We want our signature pieces on display for others to admire. The gorgeous A-S3000 will attract plenty of attention. The size alone is bound to elicit the occasional gasp, as this 50-pound amp clearly means business. And, of course, those front-panel level meters always catch the eye of audiophiles and gadget-lovers alike. Turn this baby on, cue up your favorite reference track, and watch those dials dance and your guests' jaws drop as this amp powers your speakers to thrilling new heights.
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD (minimum RMS power)
- 150 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- signal-to-noise ratio: 103 dB (CD, etc.), 93 dB (phono MM), 85 dB (phono MC)
- large illuminated level meters (VU or peak) for left and right channels
- securely mounted large toroidal power transformer for high current delivery with low noise
- full-stage balanced signal transmission for exceptionally clean, transparent sound
- Floating Balanced Power Amplifier design reduces distortion and noise
- symmetrical amp layout separates left and right channel circuits for improved signal-to-noise ratio
- copper-plated frame and 1/4" non-magnetic aluminum top panel minimize vibration and interference
- crucial circuit wiring uses screw connectors rather than solder for minimal signal loss and low impedance
- discrete phono amplifier
- rotary bass and treble controls
- front-panel switching for 2 pairs of speakers
- binding-post speaker connectors with oversized screw-tops
- remote control
Connections and Dimensions:
- 2 sets of balanced 3-pin XLR inputs
- 5 RCA audio inputs, including MM (moving magnet)/MC (moving coil) phono input
- 1 stereo RCA record output
- preamp out/main in jacks
- full-size headphone jack
- 12-volt trigger and remote in/out for use with external controllers
- detachable power cord
- weight: 54.2 lbs.
- 17-1/8"W x 7-1/8"H x 18-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee