Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Looking for a receiver that can deliver dynamic home theater thrills and breathtaking musical accuracy? Yamaha's HTR-5550 scores big on both counts! A 32-bit processor supplies pristine Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Dolby Pro Logic II processing. And Yamaha's exclusive Cinema DSP circuitry can combine any of these decoding formats with DSP soundfields for an enhanced home theater experience. Yamaha's Hi Fi DSP modes perform a similar task for your music sources, adding three-dimensional ambience to your favorite albums.
75 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 5 channels of power delivers spectacular multichannel sound just add a DVD player and your living room becomes a home cinema! Or, for late night listening that doesn't disturb your housemates, there's Silent Cinema mode virtual surround technology to give you multichannel effects using ordinary stereo headphones.
The HTR-5550 also gives you all the inputs and outputs you need to build a great audio/video system. You get component video switching for two sources, complete with enough bandwidth to pass on HDTV signals. You also get 4 digital inputs, plus an optical digital output that lets you make direct digital recordings to CD-R/W or MiniDisc. A 5.1-channel analog input lets you add a DVD-Audio or SACD player. 2 audio inputs and 4 A/V (including 3 S-video) inputs ensure that you'll have plenty of connectivity for the rest of your A/V source components.
- 32-bit processing for Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II, Quad-Field Cinema DSP, and Hi Fi DSP
- 75 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 30MHz bandwidth)
- 96kHz/24-bit DACs
- digital inputs: 3 optical, 1 coaxial
- digital outputs: 1 optical
- 2 audio, 4 A/V (including 3 S-video and one 5.1-channel) inputs
- wide range frequency response (10-100,000 Hz)
- Silent Cinema mode
- Virtual Cinema DSP
- multibrand remote
- preamp-level subwoofer output
- no phono input
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- banana plug-compatible speaker outputs
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 17-3/16"W x 6"H x 15"D
- warranty: 2 years
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Yamaha HTR-5550 Reviews
What's in the box?
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver
- RAV242-V829520US Wireless remote
- One 36" A/V cable
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 1 FM wire antenna
- Owner's Manual (English/French)
- Owners manual
- Warranty card
- Owner registration card
- Yamaha speaker selector box promotion post card
Features and Specs
5.1 Channel Input: This receiver is equipped with a 5.1 channel input for compatibility with future 5.1 channel decoders.
Surround Modes: In addition to straight Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, and DTS playback, you can choose from the following decoding modes:
- Dolby Pro Logic II: allows you to enjoy 2-channel stereo recordings in stunning 5.1-channel surround playback
- Dolby Digital + Matrix 6.1: In addition to performing standard Dolby Digital decoding, this mode creates a virtual rear center speaker by applying matrix decoding to the surround channel signals.
- DTS + Matrix 6.1: In addition to performing standard DTS decoding, this mode creates a virtual rear center speaker by applying matrix decoding to the surround channel signals.
- Cinema-DSP Movie Modes:
An upgraded version of Yamaha's DSP, which is specifically designed for
- Dolby Pro Logic/Dolby Digital/DTS Enhanced: simulates a 35mm film theater
- Movie Theater 1 (Spectacle): simulates the extremely wide sound field of a 70-mm movie theater; this mode can be used with 2-channel analog, PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and DTS sources
- Movie Theater 1 (Sci-Fi): clearly reproduces dialogue and sound effects in the latest sound form of science fiction films; this mode can be used with 2-channel analog, PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and DTS sources
- Movie Theater 2 (Adventure): precisely reproduces the sound of the newest multi-track films, so the three-dimensional feeling of the sound is emphasized and dialogue is precisely oriented on the screen; this mode can be used with 2-channel analog, PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and DTS sources
- Movie Theater 2 (General): reproduces a soft and extensive sound field
- Cinema-DSP Audio-Video
Modes: An upgraded version of
Yamaha's DSP, which is specifically designed for audio-video source
- Entertainment (Game): this mode adds a deep and spatial feeling to video game sounds
- Entertainment (Concert Video): this mode adds a deep and spatial feeling to concert video sounds
- TV Sports: most suitable for sports programs
- Mono Movie: gives a sense of stereo to old movies recorded in mono
- Hi-Fi DSP Modes:
Yamaha's DSP, which are precise digital recreations of actual acoustic
- Concert Hall: best suited for orchestra and opera music
- Jazz Club: this recreates the sound field at the stage front in "The Bottom Line", a famous New York jazz club
- Rock Concert: ideally suited for Rock Music
- Entertainment (Disco): recreates the acoustic environment of a lively disco
- Entertainment (5ch Stereo): puts music through all speakers in the system and maintains stereo imaging; this mode is great for casual listening and parties
Bass Management: The channels set to SMALL are filtered with a 90Hz high-pass crossover. The bass from the SMALL channels is directed to the front speakers (left and right) and/or the subwoofer preamp output according to the "Bass Out" setting. The available settings for each channel are as follows:
- Center Speaker Settings: LARGE, SMALL, and NONE
- Main (front) Speaker Settings: LARGE and SMALL
- Rear Speaker Settings: LARGE, SMALL, and NONE
- Bass Out: you may select SWFR (subwoofer), MAIN or BOTH
- D.D. LFE: you can adjust the output level of the LFE channel from -20 to 0 dB in 1 dB steps
- DTS LFE: you can adjust the output level of the LFE channel from -10 to +10 dB in 1 dB steps
Main Level Control: The level of the center, left and right surround, and subwoofer channels can be set to match the level of the front left and right speakers. The level of the front speakers may be set to Normal or -10dB with the "Main Level" function; the -10dB setting should be chosen if the sound output from the main speakers is too loud.
Component Video Input/Output: In addition to composite video and S-video switching, this unit can switch between two component video sources. The two component video inputs and one component video output offer 30MHz wideband (HDTV ready) switching.
Test Tone: A test tone feature is available to help with the process of matching the output level of the center, left and right surround, and subwoofer channels to the front left and right channel level.
Virtual Cinema DSP: When the rear speaker setting is set to "none", the sound field processing is altered to provide a surround sound experience without having any rear speakers.
Silent Cinema DSP: The Silent Cinema DSP feature creates a realistic surround movie effect using standard, two-channel headphones (headphones not included).
Headphone Tone Control: The bass and treble level for the headphone output can be set from -6dB to +3dB.
96kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Conversion: This unit will accept and play 96kHz/24-bit linear PCM digital audio.
Memory Guard: This feature prevents accidental changes to the DSP program parameter settings, the set menu settings, the level settings and the on-screen display mode setting. The Memory Guard feature may be turned on or off.
1 Week Memory Back-up: This unit will retain the tuner presets and menu settings for up to 1 week without being connected to power.
Background Video (BGV) Function: The BGV function allows you to combine a video image from a video source with the audio from an audio source.
Automatic Preset Tuning: This feature will put up to 40 FM stations into preset memory automatically.
Preset Groups: Preset stations are stored in "pages" (A, B, C, D, E) of 8 stations each, making it possible to group presets, and easier to find a specific preset. There is an edit key that allows you to exchange the places of any 2 preset stations with each other.
Sleep Timer: This unit is equipped with a sleep timer that will automatically turn the unit off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Multibrand A/V Remote: The included remote is pre-coded to control most brands of TVs, cable boxes, DBS receivers, VCRs, DVD players, LD players, CD players, MD recorders, CD recorders and tape decks (both A/B wells). The remote is set up so it may be programmed for the following devices:
- Cassette (both A/B wells) or MD, not both
- CD Player
- DVD or LaserDisc Player, not both
- Cable box or DBS receiver, not both
Power Rating: In addition to the 75 watts x 5 RMS at 20-20kHz, 0.06% THD and 8 ohms power rating, Yamaha also provides the following bandwidth limited power rating: 110 watts x 5 RMS at 1kHz, 0.7% THD and 4 ohms.
- Headphones: standard headphone jack
- AM Input: spring clips
- FM Input: threaded F-Type connector
- 6 Channel Input: 6 RCA inputs (Right & Left Main, Right & Left Surround, Center and Subwoofer) that allow for connection of a 5.1 channel decoder. Note that switching to this input disables the built in processor and adjustment of delay time from this unit
- Aux Input: RCA stereo audio
- CD Input: RCA stereo audio and standard coax digital input
- MD/CD-R Input/Output: RCA stereo audio input, RCA stereo output, standard Toslink input with cover and standard Toslink output with cover
- DVD Input: stereo RCA audio, composite video, S-video, component video (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/CB" and "PR/CR") and standard Toslink input with cover
- D-TV/CBL Input: stereo RCA audio, composite video, S-video, component video (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/CB" and "PR/CR") and standard Toslink input with cover
- VCR Input/Output: stereo RCA audio, composite video and S-video
- Subwoofer Output: mono RCA preamp output
- Monitor Out: Composite video, S-video and component video (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/CB" and "PR/CR") outputs to connect to a TV/monitor
- Main, Center and Surround Speaker Outputs: binding post outputs (not 5-way, because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs). This unit has no B speaker outputs.
- AC Outlets: 2 switched AC outlets
- Impedance Selector Switch
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.