Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Hard-hitting home theater excitement with a gentle learning curve
Sometimes using a state-of-the-art home theater receiver can feel like running through a maze. With Yamaha's RX-A800, you can avoid the confusion and get straight to the fun destination. Four "SCENE" buttons on this receiver's front panel give you easy one-touch access to common activities like watching a Blu-ray disc or listening to a CD. Just hit a button and the receiver switches to the correct input and settings.
Six HDMI inputs, including one on the front, let you connect your 3D-ready Blu-ray player, game console, high-def cable box, and more. With not one but two HDMI outputs, you can send video to a second TV. The 'A800 is fully loaded with the latest HD audio formats so you'll hear every whoosh, vroom and boom from your favorite films. HDMI pass-through lets you send audio/video signals from connected sources to your TV, even when the receiver's not turned on great for quiet late-night viewing.
Yamaha AVENTAGE® premium design and performance
Yamaha designed their AVENTAGE series of receivers from the ground up with sound quality as the ultimate goal. They paid attention to the little details that add up to better performance from a solidly built double-bottomed chassis, to separate power supplies for digital and analog circuitry. Yamaha's GUI can be used without interrupting your viewing so this receiver works as smooth as it looks and sounds. Plus, AVENTAGE receivers are backed by a three-year warranty.
Seven channels for a more flexible system
The RX-A800 has seven channels of amplification. What will you do with seven channels? Sure, you can use all that power to drive seven home theater speakers in the traditional arrangement: three front speakers, a pair to the sides, and a pair in the back. But there are options. If your front left and right speakers are biampable, you could drive them with two channels each for better clarity and more authoritative bass. Or you could use two channels for stereo music outside or in another room of your home. Plenty of muscle. Plenty of possibilities.
Open up to a world of digital music choices
The RX-A800 has a built-in HD Radio® tuner. Hear favorite HD stations in digital quality with multicasts offering more station choices than ever. The RX-A800 lets you add more entertainment options like an iPod® dock, Bluetooth® audio receiver, or SIRIUS satellite radio tuner. Yamaha's Compressed Music Enhancer restores lost frequencies to your digital music files to make them sound their best.
Quick, accurate setup at the touch of a button
Yamaha's auto-calibration system provides easy, precise home theater setup. Plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite seat. The receiver analyzes the size, volume level, relative distance, and frequency response of every speaker in your home theater system, adjusting the settings for each one individually. In minutes, your receiver configures itself for optimum performance with your specific speakers and their placement within your room.
Power and Processing:
- 95 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20k Hz) at 0.08% THD
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p)
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) for easy automatic speaker setup and more precise surround sound (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes add richness and presence to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control keeps a lid on explosive sound effects for more discreet late-night listening
- Silent Cinema for simulated surround sound via standard stereo headphones
- Compressed Music Enhancer for better sounding MP3s and other digital music files
Digital Music Options:
- iPod/iPhone integration (requires optional Yamaha control dock)
- built-in HD Radio tuner with multi-casting reception and iTunes® tagging
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- plays music wirelessly from compatible Bluetooth® devices (requires optional YBA-10 adapter)
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- only analog sources can be played in the 2nd room
Audio Performance Features:
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping compatible front left and right speakers
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display, tone controls, and DSP circuitry for cleaner sound with analog audio sources
- 1080p-compatible HDMI switching: 6 in, 2 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- HDMI standby pass-through allows signals to go to your TV without turning on your the receiver
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 5 audio/video inputs (including 1 front-panel) with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 7.2-channel preamp output for connecting optional external amplifiers and up to 2 (mono) powered subwoofers
- 2 pairs of main speaker outputs
- four SCENE presets for easier source switching
- multi-language Graphic User Interface (GUI) for greater ease of use
- 40 AM/FM presets
- multibrand remote
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3.4"H x 14-5/8"D
- weight: 25 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Yamaha RX-A800 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Everything but the Kitchen Sink
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
My old receiver bit the dust after years of great service. Guess nothing lasts forever. During my research I decided that the new receiver should be wife friendly, have great surround sound, reduce the number of cables to operate the system, have an Ipod docking station, have at least 2 zones and a multifunction remote that is capable of operating multiple manufactures components and ease of set up and use.
Spoke with J.P. at Crutchfield and told him what was important to me. I was already looking at this unit and after spending about 20 minutes with JP on the phone we both decided that this was probably the best fit for my purpose.
The wiring stickers provided by Crutchfield made the transition from old unit to new very easy. Amazingly I was able to eliminate about 50% of the old cables due to the well thought out design with multiple HDMI inputs and outputs that Yamaha uses including a pass through for the TV if you just want to watch TV without everything else running which makes the wife very happy. The surround sound set up was very simple. Plug in a microphone supplied with the unit and place it in the different areas of the room and follow the onscreen directions displayed on your TV. No more on your hands and knees looking at the receiver. The sound and functionality was SUPER. Thanks Yamaha and Crutchfield, somebody finally listened and made it easy to use with less cables to fight and great sound. THANKS.
What's in the box?
- Black Surround Sound receiver
- Wireless remote control (RAV341)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone with attached 19.75' cable (has 3.5mm miniplug on the end)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Front panel input cover
- Owner's manual CD-ROM
- Quick reference guide
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- Safety brochure
Features and Specs
Wide-range Frequency Response: The receiver's wide-range frequency response, 10Hz to 100kHz, allows you to enjoy the full fidelity of DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players.
YPAO Technology: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer), which automatically adjusts the output of the speakers based on placement, performance, and the room's acoustic characteristics. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone YPAO measures the speakers' response (from up to eight positions) and performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Wiring: checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each
- Speaker Distance: checks the distance of each speaker from the listening positions and adjusts the delay of each channel
- Speaker Size: checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate low-frequency crossover for each channel
- EQ: each channel has a parametric equalizer;
choose one of three target settings before running the setup:
- Natural: adjusts all speakers to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright
- Flat: use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics
- Front: EQs the center and surround speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system
- Volume Level: checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker
Next Generation Surround Sound: The RX-A800 offers the latest high definition surround sound formats supported by Blu-ray Disc players:
- Dolby TrueHD: a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs; the reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit
- Dolby Digital Plus: developed as an extension to Dolby Digital, the coding technology supports 7.1 discrete channels
- DTS-HD Master Audio: an advanced lossless technology that delivers sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, offering a high-definition home theater experience
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: high resolution audio, virtually indistinguishable from the original audio track
DTS Express: DTS Express is an audio technology used with an optional feature on some Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs. It offers high-quality low bit rate audio optimized for network streaming and Internet applications. The Secondary Audio of Blu-ray Disc or the Sub Audio of HD DVD from the Internet is mixed with the main audio stream.
Surround Modes: The RX-A800 offers the following Surround Modes for movies and music:
- Decoding Formats: Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-Express, DTS Digital Surround, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II (Music, Movie, and Game), Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Music, Movie, and Game), DSD (SACD), DTS Neo:6 (Music and Cinema)
- Hi-Fi DSP Modes: Hall in Munich, Hall in Vienna, Chamber, Cellar Club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, 7-Channel stereo
- Cinema DSP Modes: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Sports, Action Game, Role-playing Game, Music Video
Pro Logic II/x Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II and Pro Logic IIx Music modes:
- Panorama: sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect
- Dimension: adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room
- Center Width: moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers
Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Dialogue Lift: When Presence speakers are in use you can activate the Dialogue Lift feature, which assigns some of the front and center channel elements to the Presence speakers to lift the dialog to a higher position; the effect of the Dialog Lift is set between 0 (no lift) and 5 (maximum lift).
Soundfield Parameter Adjustments: You can adjust the value of certain digital soundfield parameters so that the soundfields are recreated accurately in your listening room. The following is a list and description of the soundfield adjustments:
- DSP Levels: adjusts the level of all the DSP effect sounds within a narrow range depending on the acoustics of your listening area; adjust between -6dB to +3dB
- DSP 3D: turns Cinema DSP 3D on/off (Presence speakers recommended)
- Initial Delay: changes the apparent distance from the speaker to the reflecting surface (wall) by adjusting the delay between the direct sound and the first reflection heard by the listener
- Room Size: adjust the apparent size of the surround soundfield, make adjustments for the Presence, Surround, and Surround Back room size
- Liveness: adjusts the reflectivity of the virtual walls in the hall by changing the rate at which the early reflections decay
- Reverberation Time: adjusts the amount of time taken for the dense, subsequent reverberation sound to decay by 60 dB at 1 kHz
- Reverberation Delay: adjusts the time difference between the beginning of the direct sound and the beginning of the reverberation sound
- Reverberation Level: adjusts the volume of the reverberation sound
Speaker Setup: This feature allows you to manually adjust the following speaker settings (without YPAO):
- Configuration: specify what
speakers are used and their sizes:
- Front: Large or Small
- Center: Large, Small, or None
- Surround: Large, Small, or None
- Surround Back: Large x 1, Large x 2, Small x 1, Small x 2, or None
- Front Presence: Use or None
- Subwoofer: Use normal polarity, Use reverse polarity, or None
- Extra Bass: on/off; when using a subwoofer and large front speakers, both can be set to reproduce front speaker bass frequencies
- Bass Crossover: select the crossover frequency of all the speakers set to Small; choose between 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, and 200Hz
- Level Adjustment: adjust the output level of each channel from -10 dB to +10 dB in 0.5 dB steps (relative to the main volume)
- Speaker Distance: adjust the distance from the listener to each speaker (and subsequently the delay applied to the respective channel); select from 1 to 80 feet in 0.2 foot steps
- Equalizer: each of the full range channels is adjusted individually using the seven band parametric equalizer (-20 dB to +6 dB in 0.5 dB steps with adjustable Q)
Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post speaker terminals for the front, center, surround, and surround back channels. There are also Extra Speaker terminals for use with Presence or Zone2 speakers. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs and the collar surrounding the posts prevents the use of spade connectors.
Presence Speakers: The Extra Speaker terminals can be used for Presence Speakers. The Presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by Cinema DSP. These effects include sounds that the filmmakers intended to locate a little farther back behind the screen in order to create more theater-like ambience. The Presence speakers should be placed at the front of the room 1-3 feet outside of the front speakers and at least 6 feet off the floor.
Note: You must select in the menu whether the speaker terminals are being used for Presence or Zone2 speakers.
Bi-Amp Speaker Connections: The RX-A800 allows you to reassign the surround back amplifier channels to bi-amp the front speakers. Bi-amping uses two amplifiers to power one speaker; one connected to the woofer section and the other to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a restricted frequency range, making its job easier. When bi-amping the front speakers only five speakers can be powered (neither surround back nor presence speakers are used and Zone2 speakers must be powered by a different amplifier).
Dual Zone Capability: The Zone2 output allows you to play different sources in two zones. The receiver has dedicated stereo preamp outputs for Zone2, or the built-in amplifier can power speakers in the second zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. Only sources connected via analog audio inputs can be output to Zone2. If you're using the Zone2 preamp jacks the output volume is fixed. When the receiver is powering speakers in Zone2, the surround back speakers in the main room are turned off.
Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to Dolby Digital and DTS bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Adaptive Dynamic Range Control (Adaptive DRC): During low-volume listening, such as late as night, dynamic range suffers and some sounds are missed. The effect of Adaptive DRC varies with volume, at lower volume the dynamic range is narrowed.
Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system.
Straight Decoding Mode: When the unit is in the Straight mode, 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional effect processing.
Pure Direct: The Pure Direct mode turns off the surround circuitry, bypasses the tone controls, and turns off the front panel display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound.
Impedance Selection: You can select 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application; when set to 6 ohms, 4 ohm speakers are compatible only on the front left and front right outputs.
Lipsync: You can manually delay the sound output up to 250ms to synchronize it with the video image. When connected to a compatible TV using an HDMI cable, auto lipsync can be engaged.
Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the maximum volume level (separate settings in the main zone and Zone2); useful for avoiding turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to specify the volume level when the power is turned on (separate settings in the main zone and Zone2); choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between sources. The range is from -6 dB to +6 dB in 0.5 dB increments.
Silent Cinema: The Silent Cinema mode allows private listening of multi-channel music or movies, with an accurate simulation of surround sound, through ordinary stereo headphones. Silent Cinema activates automatically whenever you connect headphones while surround sound is engaged.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Compressed formats such as MP3, WMA, and AAC generally remove high and low frequency harmonic information, resulting in a loss of fidelity. The Compressed Music Enhancer works in two-channel and multi-channel modes and regenerates the missing harmonics in compression artifacts and compensates for the loss of low- and high-frequencies to provide improved performance.
Multi-channel Analog Input: This unit has a discrete 7.1-channel analog input for connecting DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players or an external decoder.
Line Level Outputs: There are 11 pre-amp outputs for easy connection to external power amplifiers; 7.2-channel surround sound (including two subwoofer outputs) and Zone2 stereo.
HD Radio Tuner: The RX-A800 is equipped with an HD Radio tuner; HD Radio offers digital transmission with CD-quality sound from FM stations and analog FM quality from AM stations. Additionally it provides program-associated data and the ability to tune to multiple programs at the same dial position. The HD radio information is displayed on the front panel of the receiver and on the TV monitor.
iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature allows you to mark songs as they're played on an HD Radio station and transfer the artist/song data to your iPod when it's docked using the YDS-12 iPod dock (item number 022YDS12, sold separately). Then when you sync the iPod with your iTunes account you're given an option to purchase the songs; up to 50 can be saved. The following iPods support iTunes Tagging:
- iPod video (5th gen)
- iPod nano (3rd/4th/5th gen)
- iPod classic (80/120/160GB)
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
1080p HDMI Inputs/Outputs: On the back panel there are five HDMI version 1.4a inputs and two outputs, plus a sixth input on the front panel. Both outputs can be used simultaneously and either output is compatible with HDMI Control (but not both outputs at the same time). These HDMI jacks can be used for 2-channel and multi-channel PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc) digital audio formats as well as digital video signals up to 1080p resolution (including 1080/24p). They also support 3D signal transfer, Deep Color (30 bit and 36 bit), x.v.Color, and auto Lip-Sync compensation, and both outputs support ARC (Audio Return Channel).
3D-Compatible: The HDMI connections will accept 3D video from your 3D Blu-ray player and output the video signal in 3D to your 3D-ready HDTV.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. The ARC function is available through both HDMI monitor outputs.
Standby Through: When the RX-A800 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be selected even with the unit turned off.
Video Conversion: Video conversion allows analog video signals from composite and component video sources to be output as digital video signals through the HDMI outputs. In addition, component video signals are converted to composite and composite video signals are converted to component video. You cannot convert HDMI input signals to any other type of signal.
Video Scaling: 480i and 480p video signals (analog and digital) can be scaled to a higher resolution; up to 1080p, for output via HDMI. 720p and 1080i input signals are not scaled.
Component Video: The RX-A800 offers two component video inputs and a component video monitor output with a frequency response of 5 Hz to 60 MHz; they will pass High Definition video sources up to 1080i. Composite video sources can be converted to component video and 480i component video sources can be converted to composite video. Signals output as component video are not scaled.
Front Panel AV Input: In addition to the HDMI input, the front panel's Video Aux input features analog stereo and composite video RCA jacks.
GUI: The RX-A800 features a Graphic User Interface with easy to use on-screen display menus that allow you to optimize this unit to suit your A/V system.
Rename: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source, up to nine characters.
Remote Control: The receiver comes with a multi-brand wireless remote control (RAV341). In addition to the receiver, the remote can control multiple brands of TVs, Blu-ray Disc players, DVD players/recorders, cable boxes, satellite receivers, DVRs, VCRs, etc.
Scene: The RX-A800 features four Scene buttons on the front panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. These buttons are initially set to default settings for Blu-ray/DVD viewing, TV viewing, CD listening, and Radio listening but each can be reprogrammed to any input and any soundfield.
Remote Jacks: The receiver has remote input and remote output mini-jack terminals for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
12V Trigger Output: The RX-A800 has a programmable mini-jack output to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifier or motorized projection screen. The trigger is programmed either to work with a specific zone (main room or Zone2) or a specific source.
RS-232 Port: The RS-232c port allows connection to external control systems from companies such as AMX or Crestron.
Bluetooth: An optional YBA-10 Bluetooth adapter (item number 022YBA10, sold separately) can be connected to the dock port on the RX-A800 to allow you to stream audio wirelessly from your compatible Bluetooth device.
Note: Either the iPod dock or Bluetooth dock can be connected to the receiver, but not both.
iPod Universal Dock: With the optional YDS-12 iPod Dock (item number 022YDS12, sold separately), you can connect your compatible iPod or iPhone to the RX-A800 and control audio/video playback using the remote control. Most fourth generation and later iPods (Click Wheel) are compatible. Video from your iPod and album art can be displayed on a connected TV monitor (via composite video).
Note: The RX-A800 will not also up-convert iPod/iPhone video to component or HDMI.
SIRIUS Satellite Ready: You can listen to SIRIUS Satellite Radio by connecting the SiriusConnect tuner (item number 607SCH1 or 220SCH2P, sold separately) to the RX-A800's proprietary plug. SIRIUS Satellite Radio offers over 130 channels of music, news, sports, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality.
Note: A subscription is required in order to receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.