Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Enjoy dynamic surround sound with the Yamaha YSP-4000 Digital Sound Projector. This one-piece home theater solution delivers room-filling wraparound audio for movies, music, TV shows, and video games, and its innovative one-piece design won't clutter up your living space, and it makes a great match for today's popular flat-panel TVs.
Home theater simplified
The Digital Sound Projector includes built-in amplification and processing, so you won't need a receiver or amp. Just connect your DVD player, cable box, or other audio/video components directly to the '4000 for enveloping sound. You can even hook up two of your sources using state-of-the-art HDMI connections. Plus, the '4000 can upconvert analog sources to a video resolution that better matches your HDTV and send those upconverted signals to your set via its HDMI output.
XM and iPod® compatibility
The Digital Sound Projector is also XM Ready and adds advanced decoding that lets you listen to XM's HD surround music channels. (Separate XM Mini-Tuner package and an XM subscription required.) And if you own an iPod, Yamaha's optional YDS-11 dock gives you a quick, easy way to connect your player and control it using the system's remote.
Breakthrough surround sound technology
The YSP-4000 creates three-dimensional surround sound without the need for rear speakers. Versatile Yamaha processing and built-in amplification team up with a sophisticated driver array 42 speakers, in all to beam the sound exactly where it needs to go. The result? Room-filling home theater audio from a single sleek component.
A user-friendly calibration system ensures hassle-free setup. All you need to do is plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite listening spot. In less than three minutes, the Digital Sound Projector automatically optimizes itself to give you the best, most convincing sound for your specific room. You can wall-mount the '4000 below a flat-panel TV using the optional bracket, or set it on a shelf or table. For richer bass, we recommend adding a Yamaha powered subwoofer.
- acoustic suspension speaker design
- CINEMA DSP technology delivers 360º wraparound sound from just one speaker
- 7 CINEMA DSP programs
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, Pro Logic® II, and DTS Neo:6 processing
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- iPod integration (requires optional Yamaha YDS-11 dock)
- 40 1-9/16" drivers, two 4-5/16" woofers
- 120-watt peak system power (2 watts x 40, 20 watts x 2)
- HDMI video switching (2 in/1 out)
- component video switching (2 in/1 out)
- composite video switching (3 in/1 out)
- analog-to-digital video upconversion (720p/1080i) via HDMI output
- 6 audio inputs: 2 analog, 2 optical digital, and 2 coaxial digital
- front-panel minijack for connecting a portable player
- subwoofer output
- IR port for remote repeater systems
- RS-232C port for third-party controllers
- remote control
- 40-9/16"W x 7-13/16"H x 5-5/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sound bar speakers: room-filling sound with less clutter
Add big sound to your TV without a roomful of speakers. Sound bars require minimal space and wiring, and their sleek designs complement today's flat-panel TVs. Most sound bars have their own built-in amplification, so you won't need to use a home theater receiver. Some models use advanced surround processing and carefully aimed speaker drivers to simulate the effects of a full home theater audio system.
Yamaha YSP-4000 Digital Sound Projector Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Yamaha YSP-4000 Digital Sound Projector
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Sounds very good. Easy to use. Make sure you get a powered subwoofer. My room set up might not be the best. Hard to get the 5.1 simulation without turning it up very loud.
What's in the box?
- Black YSP-4000
- Wireless remote (WJ55340)
- 2 "AA" Batteries
- Acoustic Optimizer microphone with attached 19.5' cable (has 2.5mm mini-plug on the end)
- Cardboard microphone stand
- FM wire antenna
- 59" Stereo RCA patch cord
- 59" RCA composite video cable
- 59" RCA coaxial digital cable
- 58" Optical digital cable
- Adhesive backed cable clamp
- 4 Sets of 1" x 2" Adhesive backed hook and loop fasteners
- Digital Sound Projector demo DVD
- Owner's manual
- Quick reference guide
- Reference guide for iPod/XM Radio
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Tweeter||1.5625" Cone (x40)|
|Woofer||4.3125" Cone (x2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Optional|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||55-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||2W x 40 + 20W x 2|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||---|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Subwoofer Output||Mono RCA|
|Sound Bar (inches)||7-13/16H x 40-1/2W x 5-5/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||34.625 lbs|
|Subwoofer Weight||Not Given|
Overview: The Yamaha YSP-4000 challenges the idea that complicated speaker set up and wiring are necessary to enjoy multi-channel surround sound. The 42 speakers, each separately amplified, use re-enforcement (in phase), cancellation (out of phase), and delay to project five distinct sound beams. The beams, analogous to the five speakers in the surround sound system, are then reflected off the walls to envelope you with sound. There is also a line level subwoofer output for adding a powered sub.
Beam Modes: The five beams (channels) offer several settings to best suit the environment:
- 5 Beam: typical surround with five full range channels
- Stereo+3 Beam: left and right stereo, plus center channel and left and right surround channels, ideal for live concert DVDs to narrow the stage but keep the depth and reflections of the venue
- 3 Beam: outputs only the left, right, and center channels, widens the ideal listening area
- My Surround: utilizes direct beams (not reflected), useful when you're sitting close the the YSP-4000 and don't want sound reflected off the walls
- Stereo: 2-channel and 5-channel stereo without surround processing
- My Beam: outputs only one beam, targeting a single listening position, the beam angle is adjustable and is directed to whatever position you like, surround processors and the subwoofer output are disabled, the beam angle can be adjusted either manually, or automatically using a microphone in the remote control
Surround Formats: The YSP-4000 offers the following Surround Modes for movies and music:
- Dolby Digital: standard DVD format, digital input only
- DTS Digital Surround: also used on DVDs, digital input only
- Dolby Pro Logic: matrix decoding, 2-channel source
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie, Music, and Game): update of Pro Logic, better simulation of discrete 5.1
- DTS Neo:6 (5-channel version Music and Cinema): 5 full range channels with significant separation, 2-channel sources
- Music Enhancer: regenerate the harmonics missing from compressed music (MP3, WMA, AAC, etc)
- Neural Surround: XM HD Surround provides content with six discrete channels of digital full fidelity audio powered by Neural Audio technology
Cinema DSP Digital: Yamaha's proprietary Cinema DSP (Digital Soundfield Processing) chip contains precise digital recreations of actual acoustic environments. There are DSP options designed for music, movies, and sports:
- Music DSP Modes:
- Music Video: reproduces a vibrant environment
- Concert Hall: rich effect of a large round concert hall with a lot of presence, placing you near the center of the stage
- Jazz Club: recreates "The Bottom Line", a famous jazz club in New York city, places you right in front of the stage
- Movie DSP Modes:
- Sci-Fi: clearly reproduces dialog and special effects, mimics a large space
- Spectacle: reproduces a wide and grand environment
- Adventure: reproduces the dynamics and excitement of fast moving action movies
- Sports: converges the commentator's voice on the center and broadens the overall atmosphere of the stadium
Euphony: Euphony is a revolutionary sound field reproduction system implemented with state-of-the-art sound technologies developed under the basic concept of enjoying beautiful sound. It can reproduce surround sound optimized without depending on the number of input channels, the number of speakers (two or more speakers) or the speaker's dimensions. Additionally it features steady center localization.
Automatic Setup: This unit employs IntelliBeam, a combination of beam optimization and sound optimization. These two processes help you automatically achieve very accurate sound adjustments. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, IntelliBeam performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Beam Optimization: tests and optimizes the beam direction based on direct and reflected paths from the speaker to the microphone for all five channels
- Speaker Distance: checks the distance of each beam and adjusts the delay of each channel so each sound beam reaches the listening position at the correct time
- Quality: equalizes the sound to reduce coloration across the channels and create a cohesive sound field
- Volume Level: checks and adjusts the volume level of each beam
Manual Beam Setup: In addition to the auto setup, you can manually fine tune the beam outputs:
- Placement Parameters
- Position: flat to wall or angled
- Room Dimensions: enter length and width of room, distance from YSP-4000 to left wall, and distance from speaker to listening position
- Beam Adjustment:
- Horizontal Angle: set the the horizontal angle of the listening position relative to the center of the speaker, this adjusts the angle of each beam to best match your listening position
- Vertical Angle: set the the vertical angle to best match your listening height, relative to the speaker
- Beam Travel Length: total travel distance from speaker to reflecting surface to ear for each beam
- Focal Length: distance from the speaker to the focal point of each beam (where the speaker would be if you had five separate speakers)
- Treble Gain: adjust treble output of each beam to compensate for sound absorbing surfaces (curtains, etc)
- Image Location: adjust the direction from which the front left and right speakers are heard if they sound unnatural
Manual Sound Setup: In addition to the auto setup, sound adjustments can be made manually:
- Tone: adjust bass and treble +/-12 dB
- Bass Out: with outboard subwoofer or without
- Crossover: set crossover point to 80, 100, or 120 Hz, all frequencies below this point are directed to the sub
- LFE Level: adjust the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) output volume
- Distance: distance from the sub to the listening position
- Mute Level: attenuate 20 dB or mute completely when you press the mute button
- Audio Delay: delay the sound output up to 160 ms to synchronize it with the video image
- Room EQ:
- Mount: wall mount or shelf mount
- Reflecting: normal or hi-echo
- DD/DTS Dynamic Range:
- Minimum: for low volume listening
- Standard: for typical use
- Maximum: for feature films
- TruBass: turn the bass enhancer off/mid/deep
Memory: The YSP-4000 has three memory registers to save the beam and sound settings for easy recall. This is useful for saving settings under varying conditions (curtains open, curtains closed, etc).
Turn On Volume: You can program the volume setting at which the unit plays when it is first turned on.
Night Listening: During low-volume listening, such as late as night, use one of the night listening modes to improve audibility, particularly of dialog. Night listening offers three modes, Cinema, Music, and TV, each with three levels of effect, to ensure you don't miss movie dialog or quiet passages, or lose overall surround spaciousness.
OSD: The on screen display (OSD) is output only through the composite video jack (not through the HDMI output). It is designed to help during the initial setup of your system.
SRS TruBass: TruBass produces the perception of improved low frequency performance, with or without a subwoofer. TruBass can be turned off if you prefer.
XM Satellite Ready: You can listen to XM Satellite Radio by connecting the XM Mini Tuner (item number 220CNP2000) and Mini Tuner Home Kit (item number 220CNP2H) to the proprietary plug on the rear panel. A 50' extension cable (item number 209XMEXT50) is available if the Home Kit's 25' cable is not long enough. XM Satellite Radio offers over 150 commercial-free channels of music, news, sports, comedy, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During XM playback, you can display the channel number and name, category, or artist name and song title on the front panel. A subscription is required in order to receive XM Satellite Radio.
XM HD Surround Sound: XM HD Surround provides content on select stations with six discrete channels of digital full fidelity audio powered by Neural Audio technology. XM broadcasts a variety of special shows and live music performances at the XM studios in XM HD Surround.
Neural Surround: Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements.
FM Tuner: You can tune stations either manually or automatically. You are able to preset a total 40 stations in 5 preset station groups (A to E); each group contains 8 station presets. You can preset stations using the auto tuning as well as the manual tuning function.
iPod Compatible: The optional YDS-11 Universal Dock (item number 022YDS11) lets you connect your iPod to the dock port on the rear panel. You can listen to your iPod music, operate your iPod via the YSP-4000's remote, and charge your iPod. Works with iPod nano, iPod mini and iPod (Click and Wheel).
Installation: The YSP-4000 has four threaded mounting holes on the back for an optional wall-mount bracket (item number 022SPMK30). It can also be placed on a shelf or a stand. Positioning can be parallel to a wall or in a corner. The only major requirement is the room must have side and rear walls for beam reflection to create the surround effect. Note: Although the unit is shielded, Yamaha recommends not placing it directly on top of a CRT tube TV.
HDMI: There are two HDMI inputs and an HDMI monitor output on the rear panel. The YSP-4000 supports resolutions up to 1080p via HDMI and HDMI-control when connected to a compatible TV. Analog video inputs (composite or component video) can be scaled and output as 720p or 1080i from the HDMI output.
Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3 and WMA. With the Compressed Music Enhancer highs, and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible. You can select between Low and High, or turn the enhancer off.
Multi-brand Remote Control: The receiver comes with a multi-brand wireless remote control. In addition to this unit, the remote can control multiple brands of cable boxes, satellite receivers, TVs, VCRs, and DVD players. The remote also has a programmable macro function to play each of the four main inputs.
Input Trim: The level of each input can be adjusted so the volume remains the same when switching from one input to another.
Input Label: Each input can be renamed to match the actual source component, up to 8 characters.
Dimmer: The display can be dimmed manually or set to dim automatically if no operation is performed for a specified period.
Unit Set: For all the adjustments requiring a measurement of distance, the units can be set to meters or feet.
Maximum Volume Level: You can set a maximum volume so the unit can not be turned up beyond that point.
Sleep Timer: You can set the sleep timer to turn the unit off in 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Input: toggle between inputs; TV/STB, DVD, Aux1, Aux2, Aux3, XM, and FM
- Volume: up/down
- Standby/On: power button
- DVD: HDMI, component video, composite video and coaxial digital audio
- TV/STB: component video, composite video, optical digital, and analog stereo RCA audio
- Aux1: HDMI, composite video, optical digital, and analog stereo RCA audio
- Aux2: component video, composite video, coaxial digital audio
- XM: input for the optional XM Mini Tuner
- Dock: input for the optional YDS-11 universal iPod dock
- IR in/out: 3.5mm mini-jack control expansion terminals for commercial use only
- System Connector: connects to compatible Yamaha subwoofer
- RS-232C: for compatible system control
- Aux3: 3.5mm mini-jack
- Microphone: 2.5mm Optimizer microphone jack (front panel)
- Video: HDMI, component video, and composite video
- Subwoofer: Single RCA line level
- 40 x 1-9/16" speakers
- 2 x 4-5/16" speakers
- 2 watts x 40 (1-9/16" speakers)
- 20 watts x 2 (4-5/16" speakers)
Weight: 34 pounds 10 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.