Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Denon AVR-1802 does movies and music right! It's got plenty of power 80 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 5 channels of high-current amplification to fill your room with clear, dynamic Denon sound. On-board Dolby Digital and DTS processing handle the 5.1 soundtracks for digital home theater sources like DVD, HDTV, and select satellite TV broadcasts. You also get Dolby Pro Logic II processing, which creates a realistic 5.1-channel experience from Dolby Surround-encoded sources, and even stereo music!
Cinema EQ optimizes movie soundtracks for home theater-sized rooms. Seven DSP modes let you the pick the ambience of your choice to enhance music, movies, TV audio, and even video games! A generous supply of digital and analog inputs and outputs including front-panel A/V and optical digital inputs let you build a killer system, and 40 AM/FM presets give you easy access to all your favorite radio stations. And thanks to the easy-to-use multibrand remote, controlling this receiver is a cinch!Details:
- Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic II processing
- 80 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20k Hz) at 0.08% THD
- DSP modes: 5-channel stereo, Virtual Surround, Jazz Club, Rock Arena, Video Game, Matrix, Mono Movie
- digital inputs: 3 optical (one front-panel), 1 coax
- digital output: 1 optical
- 5.1-channel input
- 3 audio (including phono), 5 A/V (including 1 front-panel and 4 S-video) inputs
- 4 preamp outputs (front left/center/right and subwoofer)
- subwoofer output
- multibrand A/V remote
- banana plug-compatible speaker binding posts for all channels
- 96kHz/24-bit D/A converters
- high-current, low-impedance amp design
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-15/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Denon AVR-1802 Reviews
What's in the box?
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RC-897 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 1 FM Antenna adapter
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 1 FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Warranty sheet
- "Denon Service Network" sheet
- Warranty Registration card
Features and Specs
Dolby Pro Logic II: Enjoy 2-channel stereo recordings in stunning 5.1-channel surround playback. The Dolby Pro Logic II decoder reproduces dynamic 5.1-channel surround sound not only from normal 5.1-channel DVD but from 2-channel sources as well. Dolby Pro Logic II uses matrix decoding technology that has been dramatically improved over Pro Logic. With Pro Logic II, for instance, the Surround (Rear) channels are in stereo (only mono with Pro Logic) and playback covers the full frequency range (only up to 7 kHz with Pro Logic). These improvements let you enjoy a wide variety of 2-channel sources with the exciting effects of 5.1-channel surround sound. In Dolby Pro Logic II, there is a Movie mode that creates a sound space suitable for movies, a Music mode that does the same for music, and a Pro Logic emulation feature that reproduces sound effects in the way that conventional Pro Logic does.
24-bit, 96 kHz D/A Converters: The AVR-1802 uses highly accurate 24-bit, 96 kHz D/A converters to handle digital to analog conversion, giving you superior sound quality.
5.1 Multi-Channel Input: The AVR-1802 is equipped with a 5.1-channel input to accommodate outboard decoders.
Surround Modes: In addition to straight Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, and DTS playback, you can choose from the following modes:
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Enjoy 2-channel stereo recordings in stunning 5.1-channel surround playback. In Dolby Pro Logic II, there is a Movie mode that creates a sound space suitable for movies, a Music mode that does the same for music, and a Pro Logic emulation feature that reproduces sound effects in the way that conventional Pro Logic does.
- 5Ch Stereo: In this mode, the front left channel signals are output from the left surround channel, the front right channel signals are output from the right surround channel, and the in-phase component of the left and right channels is output from the center channel. This mode provides all-speaker surround sound, but without directional steering effects, and works with any stereo program source.
- Mono Movie: Select this when watching monaural movies for a greater sense of expansion
- Rock Arena: Use this mode to achieve the feeling of a live concert in an arena with reflected sounds coming from all directions
- Jazz Club: This mode creates the sound field of a live house with a low ceiling and hard walls. This mode gives jazz a very vivid realism.
- Video Game: Use this mode to enjoy video game sources
- Matrix: Select this to emphasize the sense of expansion for music sources recorded in stereo
- Virtual: Select this mode to enjoy a virtual sound field, produced from the front 2-channel speakers.
Panorama Mode (Dolby Pro Logic II): This mode extends the front stereo image to include the surround speakers for an exciting "wraparound" effect with side wall imaging. You can select "Off" or "On".
Dimension Control (Dolby Pro Logic II): This control gradually adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear. The control can be set in 7 steps from 0 to 6.
Center Width Control (Dolby Pro Logic II): This control adjusts the center image so it may be heard only from the center speaker, only from the left/right speakers as a phantom image, or from all three front speakers to varying degrees. The control can be set in 8 steps from 0 to 7.
Personal Memory Plus: The Personal Memory Plus function automatically memorizes the surround mode, channel volume, surround parameters, and other settings for each of the separate input sources.
Bass Management and Speaker Setup: Various speaker size settings are available to ensure that small speakers do not receive full-range signals and to tell the receiver where to send signals.
- Front Speakers: The front speaker size may be set to "Large" or "Small"
- Center Speaker: If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the center speaker may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the center speaker may be set to "Small" or "None".
- Surround Speakers: If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers may be set to "Small" or "None".
- Subwoofer: You may select "Yes" or "No"
- Test Tone: The test tone feature allows you to independently adjust the volume level of each channel
CINEMA EQ. (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, and DTS surround modes.
D.COMP. (Dynamic Range Compression): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, the Dynamic Range Compression allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack (but with reduced dynamic range). This only works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS. You can select one of the four settings: "OFF", "LOW", "MID" (middle), or "HI" (high).
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Room Size: This sets the size of the sound field. There are five settings: "Small", "Med.S" (medium-small), "Medium", "Med.L" (medium-large) and "Large".
- Effect Level: This sets the strength of the surround effect. The level can be set in 15 steps from 1 to 15.
- Delay Time: In the matrix mode only, the delay time can be set within the range of 0 to 110 ms
Last Function Memory: This unit is equipped with a last function memory, which stores the input and output setting conditions as they were immediately before the power was switched off.
Back-Up Memory: The unit is also equipped with a back-up memory. This function provides approximately one week of memory storage when the main unit's power switch is off and with the power cord disconnected.
Multibrand Remote: In addition to controlling the AVR-1802, the supplied remote is pre-programmed to control many brands of audio/video components, including DVD players, laserdisc players, VCRs, and televisions.
- Phones: Standard headphone jack
- V. Aux Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and optical digital jack with a plastic protective cover
- FM Antenna input: Slip-on F-connection
- AM Antenna inputs: Spring clips
- Phono Input: Stereo RCA jacks with ground screw
- CD Input: Stereo RCA jacks
- CD-R/Tape Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks
- DVD/VDP Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- TV/DBS Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- VCR 1 Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- VCR 2 Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- Monitor Output: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- EXT. Input: 6 RCA jacks that may be used for 5.1 multi-channel input from an outboard decoder (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, and subwoofer)
- Preamp Outputs: 4 RCA jacks (front left, front right, center, and subwoofer)
- Coaxial Digital Input: Standard coaxial digital input (this digital connection may be assigned to any input, except the Phono input)
- 2 Optical Digital Inputs: 2 Toslink digital inputs, each with a plastic protective cover (these digital connections may be assigned to any input, except the Phono input)
- Optical Digital Output 2: Toslink optical digital output with a plastic protective plug (outputs the signal coming into the optical digital 2 input)
- Speakers: Binding post outputs for front A, front B, center, and surround speakers (not 5-way, because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are positioned too far apart to be used with dual banana plugs)
- AC Outlets: 2 switched AC outlets, maximum total 120W 1Amp
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.