Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Denon's S-302 packs exceptionally clear DVD playback and room-filling sound into a smart, user-friendly design. This stylish system uses Dolby® Virtual Speaker technology to produce surround-like audio effects with just two speakers and a subwoofer. You get remarkably simple setup and operation, along with some special conveniences like a USB connection that enables the '302 to play and control your compatible MP3 player.
Clean looks and easy setup
This streamlined, three-speaker system is simple to hook up. Since there are no rear speakers, you don't have to run wire to the back of your room. Color-coded speaker jacks make for goof-proof connections. Set the speakers on your entertainment stand, or wall-mount them next to your flat-panel TV for an elegant look.
HDMI output for great picture quality and convenient switching
To get the best possible picture, hook up the DVD player/receiver to your HDTV using a digital HDMI connection. This system upconverts DVD video signals to more closely match your TV's high-resolution display. Analog-to-HDMI video conversion adds to the convenience, letting you pass the video signals from all your components to your TV via one convenient cable (not included). This simplifies hookup and maintains the best picture quality possible for every source in your system. If you don't have an HDTV yet, don't worry a variety of analog video outputs let you choose the best connection for just about any TV.
Play music from your PC and your iPod®
The S-302 connects wirelessly to your home network, so you can access digital music files and JPEG photos stored on your PC. And you can tap into Internet radio stations via a broadband connection, and select songs and stations from a simple on-screen menu. You can also connect your iPod using Denon's optional ASD-1R dock to keep your favorite songs and playlists at your fingertips. Control your iPod using the S-302's remote and view your song titles, photos, and video clips on your TV.
- DVD player/receiver, 2 speakers, and a powered subwoofer
- digital video upconversion
- selectable 480p/720p/1080i/1080p output via HDMI digital interface (separate adapter available for TVs with DVI input)
- 3-channel amplifier built into subwoofer (50 watts x 2 for front speakers, 100 watts for sub)
- built-in Wi-Fi networking capability play music and photos from your PC
- iPod integration (with optional Denon ASD-1R dock)
- front-panel USB input for connecting portable MP3 players
- 1 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio inputs
- 1 optical digital audio output
- 2 audio/video inputs (composite and S-video)
- video output for TV (composite, S-video, component video, HDMI)
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- analog-to-HDMI conversion
- built-in Dolby® Virtual Speaker processing
- built-in AM/FM tuner
- dual 216MHz/12-bit video DACs
- DVD player/receiver: 15"W x 3-13/16"H x 12-7/8"D
- dual 3-1/8" midrange drivers and 1" tweeter
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- 5-1/4"W x 13-1/8"H x 3-1/16"D
- 6-5/16" driver
- built-in amplifier
- 8-7/16"W x 14-7/8"H x 15-15/16"D
- dual-sided remote with standard and simplified button panels
- speaker, subwoofer, and composite video cables included
- warranty: 1 year for DVD player/receiver and front speakers; 2 years for subwoofer
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Transform your TV experience
Enjoy rich, robust sound that puts you right in the middle of your favorite movies, TV shows, and video games. Powered home theater systems come with speakers and a subwoofer plus the amplification to drive them. Many of these systems feature low-profile consoles and ultra-compact speakers for minimal visual clutter. Some include a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player for enjoying movie and concert discs.
Denon S-302 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Oustanding Micro System
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The Denon S-302 was purchased to be a secondary system for low-level music and video game surround sound in a game room. The main draw to the Denon was it's high-end and well refined looks, ease of use, multi-platform functionality (DVD, DVD-A, SACD, CD), and one stop approach to high end performance from a one box solution.
I had vehemently opposed to "home theater in a box" solutions for several years as I appreciate high end sound and quality reproductions of music and movie soundtracks. With this system, all of my sterotypes were dispelled. While not cheap by any means, this system will not dissappoint even the most discerning listener. Do not expect the sound of a $29k system, but for a second/ bedroom home theater solution, anyone would be hard pressed to find a better alternative at 3 times the cost.
If you are either new to home theater or need a space saving alternative to large theater packages, take a listen...you will like what you hear!
What's in the box?
- ADV-S302 integrated DVD/Receiver
- Two SC-S302 speakers
- DSW-S302 Powered subwoofer
- Wireless remote control (RC-1072)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- WLAN antenna
- 5' Composite video cable
- 10' D-Sub25 System cable
- Pad of self-adhesive foam cushions
- 4 Machine screws
- Two 16' lengths of speaker wire with gold-plated proprietary connectors on each end
- Hex wrench
- 2 Metal speaker stands (easel type)
- 2 Metal wall brackets
- Operating Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
- Denon Service Network
- System setup diagram
System Components: The Denon S-302 DVD Home Entertainment System consists of three main components: the ADV-S302 DVD Player/Receiver, the DSW-S302 Powered Subwoofer, and two SC-S302 Speakers. The system comes supplied with two 16' lengths of speaker wire with proprietary gold-plated connectors on each end.
Noise Shaped Video (NSV): The NSV precision video feature works in the digital domain to reduce noise in the video signal frequency band in order to enhance video signal linearity, provide accurate signal representations, and enhance the picture quality. Noise shaping techniques can be combined with dynamic element matching techniques in order to reduce the matching requirements of DAC elements by converting the analog mismatch into and out of band noise. This approach of dynamic element matching and noise shaping has been shown to allow the use of sigma delta modulation at video data rates. NSV can achieve ultimate precision with 12-bit fidelity in both digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital domains.
DVD Upconversion: The integrated DVD player will upconvert standard 480i DVD signals to 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p via its HDMI monitor output in order to match the resolution of your television.
Video Conversion: This function automatically converts various formats of video signals input to the S-320 into the format used to output the video signals from the S-320 to your TV. The S-320's video input/output circuitry is compatible with the following types of video signals.
- Composite: can be converted to S-video, component and HDMI
- S-Video: can be converted to composite, component and HDMI
- Component: can be converted to composite, S-video and HDMI
- HDMI: must be output as HDMI
Note: 1080p component video input signals cannot be converted into other formats. 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i component video input signals cannot be converted into S-video or composite video format.
Progressive Mode: The Denon S302 is equipped with a high precision Progressive Scan circuit "DCDi" allowing it to reproduce movies and other images on DVD with a quality near that of the original. The integrated DVD/Receiver features the following Progressive Modes via its component video monitor output.
- Auto1: suitable for film material playback
- Auto2: suitable for 30-fram film material playback
- Video1: suitable for video playback
- Video2: suitable for video sources with little motion
- Video3: suitable for motion-intensive video sources
Aspect Ratio Selection: You can select the aspect ratio of the DVD video output according to the type of TV being connected: Wide (16:9), 4:3LB (Letterbox), and 4:3PS (Pan & Scan).
Squeeze Mode: This feature allows a 4:3 video or image to be shown in the center of a 16:9 TV screen.
TV Type: The integrated DVD/Receiver is compatible with both NTSC and Pal video signal formats.
DVD Playback: The built-in DVD player is compatible with DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs (NTSC/PAL); Audio CDs, CD-R and CD-RW; MP3, WMA and JPEG files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs; Kodak and Fujifilm picture discs. Some playback functions include:
- Repeat: Chapter, Title (DVD); Track, Disc (CD)
- Program: Up to 20 tracks (CD) can be programmed to play in a desired order.
- Random: Disc (CD)
- Frame-By-Frame: The picture moves forward one frame at a time during DVD playback.
- Slow Playback: Slow motion playback of DVD disc.
- Zoom: 1.5x, 2x, 4x (DVD)
- Resume Play: Memorizes where disc left off when you pressed stop - DVD only
- Direct Track Access: Search tracks directly using the number key on the supplied remote control
MP3/WMA/JPEG Playback: The ADV-S302 can play MP3, WMA, and JPEG files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs in ISO 9660 level 1 format. MP3 files should be recorded between 32 and 320 kbps (128 kbps recommended), and WMA files at 64 to 160 kbps. The unit supports ID3-Tag (Ver.1 or 2) information. Discs with up to 99 files per folder or up to 999 total files and folders can be played. JPEG files up to 2048 x 1536 can be displayed.
JPEG Playback Functions: During JPEG playback you can invert the image vertically or horizontally as well as rotate the image 90-degrees clockwise or counterclockwise. You can also zoom in and out while you pan through a recorded image. In addition, JPEG images can be played back in a slide show fashion.
AL24: Like most of Denon's home theater receivers, the ADV-S302 uses AL24 Processing to further reduce quantization distortion and senses the nature of the digital data being input and interpolates the data to faithfully replicate the original analog waveform. AL24 operates when PCM, MP3 or WMA data is input.
HDCD Decoder: This unit is equipped with an HDCD (High Definition Compatible Digital) decoder which allows 20-bit data to be converted into the 16-bit data of current CDs with no loss of sound quality. HDCD-compatible discs are automatically recognized, and playback is optimized by Denon's digital technology to provide a superior high-definition, low distortion sound quality.
Audyssey Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ is a technology that automatically corrects the tonal balance of an audio system when the volume is changed. It is based on psychoacoustic research that better matches to human perception than other loudness compensation that was used before. The tonal balance is adjusted continuously with variation in both program material and volume setting.
Personal Memory Plus: The receiver has a personal memorization function that automatically memorizes the surround modes and input modes selected for the different input sources. When the input source is switched, the modes set for that source last time it was used are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback level balance for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Audio Modes: The Denon S-302 system offers the following audio modes.
- Dolby Virtual Speaker: The ADV-S302 integrated DVD/Receiver uses Dolby Virtual Speaker technology to create a virtual surround sound field using only two speakers for the front channels, allowing you to experience sound as if surround speakers were actually being used. The virtual surround speakers are accurately positioned at 105° to the left and right of the listener. Dolby Digital and DTS multi-channel programs are played according to the producer's intentions with sound from the center, rear left, and rear right channels directed to the center, left, and right "virtual" speakers. Two listening modes are available: Reference and Wide.
- Dolby Headphone: Dolby
Headphone is a 3D sound technology for achieving surround sound using regular
headphones. Dolby Headphone simulates speaker playback in a room and positions
the sound sources to the front or the sides, outside of the head, achieving a
sound similar to that of a movie theater or home theater. The Dolby Headphone
mode can be used with multi-channel sources (Dolby Digital and DTS), as well as
stereo programs. You can select Dolby Headphone or Dolby Headphone Bypass for a
normal stereo playback.
- Cinema: When the Dolby Headphone mode is selected, analog , PCM or other 20-channel sources are decoded in the Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema mode and transformed into multiple channels for playback.
- Music: When the Dolby Headphone mode is selected, analog, PCM or other 2-channel sources are decoded in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode and transformed into multiple channels for playback.
- Rock Arena: This mode achieves the atmosphere of a live concert in an arena with reverberations circling in from the sides.
- Jazz Club: This mode achieves the atmosphere of a live convert hall with a low ceiling surrounded by hard walls, as if the artist were playing very close to you.
- Stereo/Direct Mode: The receiver has a Direct Mode which plays back analog input signals without DSP processing. When turned off, the analog input signals are converted to digital to undergo DSP processing.
D.COMP: The Dynamic Range Compression features optimizes the system's audio settings for late-night listening of your Dolby Digital or DTS content.
Tone Controls: The unit has +/-10dB bass and treble adjustments (in increments of 2dB) at 100Hz and 10kHz.
LFE: The Low Frequency Effect function sets the level of the subwoofer which reproduces the low bass signals. You can set the unit from -12dB to 0dB.
Channel Level: You can adjust the channel level for the left and right speaker as well as the subwoofer from -12dB to +12dB
Speaker Distance: To provide you with a better sound-stage, you can set the distance of your listening position to the right speaker, left speaker and subwoofer.
AM/FM Tuner: This system's AM/FM tuner allows you store up to 60 AM or FM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them manually each time. A name of up to 8 characters can be entered for each preset station.
iPod Compatibility: Using the optional Denon ASD-1R iPod dock (033ASD1RBK or 033ASD1RWT), you can connect your iPod to the Denon S-202 system. Folder and file names appear on the unit's display panel. The iPod can be controlled using the buttons on the integrated DVD/Receiver and the supplied remote control. You can also use the optional Denon AK-P100 iPod cable to allow you to connect your iPod to this unit. Once connected, the iPod can be controlled using the buttons on the unit or remote control. You have access to the following features: track search, repeat play, and shuffle play. You can also view still pictures on your iPod. Artist and title information will appear on the unit's display.
USB Input: A mass storage device can be connected to the front panel USB input to play JPEG, MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG-4 AAC and FLAC files. The S-302 is compatible with mass storage devices in the FAT16 and FAT32 formats. When an MP3 music file includes album art data, the album art can be displayed while playing the file. Still picture (JPEG) files stored on USB memory devices can be played as slide shows. The time for which each picture is displayed can be set.
Portable Aux Input: If you don't own an iPod, you can use the front panel portable auxiliary input to play music from your portable audio player. An optional stereo mini cable is required to connect your portable unit to the DVD Player/Receiver.
Home Network Function: The Denon S-302 is equipped with an Ethernet port and WiFi (WLAN) antenna that lets you build a network environment (either hardwire or wireless). This unit offers the following PC network functions.
- Music Server: This function lets you play music files and playlists (MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, and FLAC) stored on your computer (music server) connected to the S-302 via a network. With the S-302's network audio playback function, connection to the server is possible using on of the following technologies - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10.
- Internet Radio: Internet
radio refers to radio broadcast distributed over the Internet. Internet
radio stations from around the world can be tuned in. The S-302's Internet
radio station list is created using a radio station database service
(vTuner). This database service provides a list edited and created for the
Denon S-302 system. The Denon S-302 is equipped with the following Internet
- Internet radio stations in MP3 and WMA format can be listened to.
- Stations can be selected by genre and region.
- Your favorite radio stations can be registered by accessing an exclusive Denon Internet radio URL from a Web browser on your computer. This function is managed for individual users, so you must provide your MAC or e-mail address. Exclusive URL: http://www.radiodenon.com.
Note: A computer with the following specifications is required to use the Network feature: Operating Systems include Windows XP Service Pack2 or Windows Vista, Installed Software includes .Net Framework 1.1 and Windows Media Connect (Windows XP)/Windows Media Player ver. Internet Browser needs to be Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later, a LAN port is needed along with 300 MB or more free disk space.
Timer Section: The units has a built-in clock with three separate timer functions:
- Everyday: The Everyday timer can be set to turn the power on and off at the same time every day.
- Once: The Once timer allows you to turn the power on and off one time.
- Sleep: The Sleep timer can be set to turn the power off after a preset amount of time. You can set the sleep timer to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Last Function Memory: This unit is equipped with a last function memory, which stores the input and output setting conditions as they were immediately before the power was switched off.
Back-Up Memory: The unit is also equipped with a back-up memory. This function provides approximately one week of memory storage when the main unit's power switch is off and the power cord is disconnected.
Auto Power On: When the power is off and you press the play button, the power turns on the disc plays.
Auto Power Off: This features allows the system to power-off after 30 minutes of DVD playback stoppage.
Parental Lock: You can prevent the playback of certain DVD content by using the system's 8-level rating system along with a custom 4-digit password.
Display Sensor/Dimmer: When activated, the illumination sensor can detect the amount of brightness in the room and automatically adjust the brightness of the display. When deactivated, you can change the brightness of the display manually from the remote control to one of three brightness settings, or turn the display off.
Wall Paper: You can choose between four wall papers for the unit's on-screen display - Picture, Blue, Gray, or Black.
Remote Control: The system is controlled by the supplied RC-1072 IR wireless remote control. In addition, the remote can control multiple brands of TVs, DBS satellite receivers, and cable boxes. The remote has a unique design with a streamlined top panel with frequently used buttons such as power, play, and volume controls. Additional buttons are located on the back of the remote behind a flip-open panel. Dimensions: L = 9.565", W = 2.045", H = 0.815".
Satellite Speakers: The video-shielded SC-S302 satellite speakers feature two 3.15" (8 cm) cone mid-bass driver and a 0.787" (2 cm) tweeter in an acoustic suspension enclosure. Each speaker includes a wall-mount bracket and an easel-type table-top stand. The wall-mount bracket has two "keyhole" slots, and mounts the speakers approximately 5/16" from the wall. With the table-top stand attached the speakers have the following dimensions: Width = 5.245", Height = 12.9375", Depth = 7.555". If you prefer, the satellites can be wall or ceiling mounted using aftermarket brackets. There are three threaded inserts (M5) on the back of the speaker in a horizontal line, one in the center and one 1-3/16" (30mm) to each side.
Speaker Terminals: The supplied speaker wires have proprietary gold-plated terminals on each end. The terminals can be removed and placed on other speaker wires if desired. A hex wrench is provided for loosening and tightening the set screws on the terminals.
Subwoofer: The DSW-S302 subwoofer has a side-firing 6.3" (16 cm) cone driver in a bass reflex enclosure with a down-firing port, powered by a 100 watt amplifier. The subwoofer provides the power for the entire system, including 50 watts to each of the satellite speakers, and AC power to the DVD player/receiver via the supplied system cable.
Audyssey BassXT: Audyssey BassXT is a solution to extend bass performance to lower frequencies without increasing cabinet size, driver size or weight. BassXT actively monitors the incoming low frequency signal and drives subwoofers to their maximum capability at all volumes, thereby producing deep bass at all volume levels. This allows the subwoofer to play low bass content when it can and protects it only for the few time when it can't. It is not like simple bass boost or tone control as the system is fully customized for each speaker design by DSP processing and works in real time.
ADV-S302 DVD Player/Receiver:
- Headphone Jack: There is a 3.5mm stereo mini headphone jack on the front of this unit. When headphones are plugged in, there is no output from the speakers..
- USB: The USB port on the front panel enables you to connect a mass storage device and play digital files.
- Auxiliary Inputs: There
are four auxiliary inputs for connecting external source units:
- Auxiliary 1: This can be used to connect an A/V device, such as a VCR, DVD player, or game console. It includes stereo RCA audio jacks, plus composite, S-Video and component video inputs.
- Auxiliary 2: This can also be used to connect an A/V device, such as a VCR, DVD player, or game console. It includes stereo RCA audio jacks, plus composite, S-Video inputs.
- Auxiliary 3: This is an audio-only stereo RCA auxiliary input.
- Portable: This front-panel 3.5mm mini jack allows you to connect a portable audio player.
- Digital Inputs/Outputs: The receiver has one coaxial digital inputs (Aux 2) and one Toslink optical digital input (Aux 1) for connecting external digital audio devices (satellite receiver, MD player, DVD or CD changer, etc). There is also a Toslink optical digital output for connecting the unit to a CD or MD recorder or an external surround decoder. This Toslink jack can output Dolby Digital or DTS bitstreams or PCM (for non-copy-protected material).
- System Connector: A D-Sub25 connector is provided to connect the DVD Player/Receiver to the subwoofer. (The subwoofer provides power to the receiver along the system cable)
- Video Outputs (Monitor): For connecting a TV, the unit provides a composite video, S-Video, component video and HDMI jack. The component video jacks can output interlaced and progressive signals. The HDMI jack will output both video and audio signals. Multi-channel audio signals will be downmixed to two channels for output to your television. The HDMI jack is compatible with an optional DVI adapter but there will be sound output to your television.
- Dock Control: You can connect and play an iPod that has Apple's Dock connector using the optional Denon ASD-1R iPod dock (033ASD1RBK or 033ASD1RWT).
- iPod Connecter: You can also connect your iPod to this unit via the optional Denon AK-P100 iPod cable (sold separately).
- AM/FM Antenna: Connect the included antennas to the AM (spring clip) and FM (threaded coax) terminals.
- WLAN Antenna: WLAN Antenna input for use with supplied WLAN antenna for wireless connection to your PC.
- Ethernet: Ethernet port that lets you build various types of network environments.
- RS232: External home automation controllers (such as Crestron) can be interfaced through the RS-232C port.
- Room-to-Room Remote Jacks: The integrated DVD/Receiver has a mini-jack input for use with an optional Denon RC-616, 617, or 618 IR re-transmitter. The adjacent room-to-room output is for future use.
DSW-S302 Powered Subwoofer:
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.