Our take on the Escort SmartRadar
Out-of-sight protection that works with your smartphone
Escort's SmartRadar radar detector does more than just give you rapid updates on threats it also lets you keep your detector out of your field of view by hiding it behind your rear-view mirror. And it works with Escort's exclusive Escort Live! smartphone app to let you get real-time updates on enforcement areas and other danger zones from other users on the road. You'll also see radar alerts and other helpful information on your iPhone's screen.
The SmartRadar's compact control module fits behind your rear-view mirror, out of your line of sight for safer driving — it connects directly to your vehicle's fuse box for power. The system's display controller mounts on the front of your rear-view mirror, giving you alerts, signal strength readings, and text messages for programming user preferences. Finally, the Escort Live! app (available free from the Apple® App Store) allows your iPhone to display a wealth of real-time information right on your phone, including instant updates from other drivers on the road.
The display controller gives you a 280-character alphanumeric LED display, with on/off capabilities and adjustments for mute, brightness, and sensitivity. You can choose from three different types of meter displays to help you keep track of threats, including up to eight radar signals at the same time.
Full Escort protection
The SmartRadar gives you the trademark Escort protection you're used to, including long-distance warnings for X, K, and Ka bands. Multiple laser sensors offer additional security. The detector's SmartShield VG-2 immunity makes it invisible to most radar detector detectors.
Escort's proprietary Traffic Signal Rejection software goes even further to reduce false alerts. It weeds out strong K-band signals emitted by common highway traffic flow sensors, eliminating meaningless alarms so you can stay focused on the real threats.
Plenty of features
The SmartRadar offers seven programmable features and three sensitivity modes, including AutoSensitivity that lowers sensitivity as your speed decreases. You can also adjust mute and brightness settings, voice and audio alert tones, and go into fully dark mode when the need arises.
Using the Escort Live! app
The Escort Live! app lets your iPhone communicate with the SmartRadar detector. You must pair your phone with the SmartRadar through your phone's Bluetooth® connection. Once they're paired and you're running the app, you'll be able to see important radar warnings on your phone in the map mode. Or view it in dashboard mode to check your speed, the speed limit, radar sensitivity, and compass heading. You can even customize the app to complement your driving style.
The Escort Live! app lets you mark potential radar locations for future reference, as well as lock out spots that consistently generate false alerts. You can get traffic information for your current location to help you avoid potential delays. The app also adds several features to SmartRadar, including multiple user displays, elimination of false alerts, and notifications for speed limit changes.
You'll have to pay a subscription fee for Escort Live! services to work within the app after the included free 12-month subscription ends rates are $4.99/month or $49.99/year, and are subject to change without warning.
See more info on this item
- radar/laser detector with Bluetooth connectivity
- compact mirror-mounted display controller with 280 LED alphanumeric display
- suction-cup windshield mounting bracket and self-adhesive velcro mounts
- direct-wire kits for detector and display controller
- 7 programmable features
- detects 3 radar bands and laser
- Traffic Sensor Rejection software eliminates false alerts from roadside traffic flow sensors
- digital voice and audio tone alerts for radar, laser, and POP
- 3 sensitivity modes, including AutoSensitivity
- SmartShield VG-2 immunity (invisible to radar detector detectors)
- Mute, AutoMute, and SmartMute modes
- display includes band and signal strength meter or actual radar frequency
Escort Live! app available free through Apple App Store
- 1 year free subscription to Escort Live! service with detector purchase (subscription fees apply after end of free trial)
- connects to SmartRadar via Bluetooth
- dashboard mode or map view on iPhone touch display
- provides GPS warnings for speed and red-light cameras and reported radar hotspots
Sorry, but we cannot ship radar detectors to Virginia or the District of Columbia.