Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Keep a roomful of your family and friends entertained with the Toshiba 55ZV650U. Its big screen delivers a gorgeous high-definition picture. This HDTV also gives you a wealth of smart, user-friendly features, and the Deep Lagoon design adds a distinctive three-dimensional look to the edges of cabinet's gloss black frame.
High-definition images remain clean and smooth even during fast-paced action
Most 1080p HDTVs look good when displaying slow-moving images, but things can get a little fuzzy when the action speeds up. That's not a problem for the 55ZV650U, thanks to Toshiba's ClearScan 240 technology. It combines a 120Hz refresh rate (double the standard LCD refresh rate) with an advanced backlight scanning system to create a 240Hz effect. You'll enjoy an astonishingly clean, smooth picture, making this TV a must-see if you're a sports fan, gamer, or action movie aficionado.
Impressive standard-def performance, too
When you watch standard-definition video sources, such as DVDs, you'll appreciate Toshiba's state-of-the-art Resolution+ technology. It upconverts standard-def video and further improves picture quality by enhancing sharpness, brightness, and color. You can adjust the level of enhancement to suit your personal tastes, ensuring that all your movies, TV shows, and video games look their best.
Automatic picture adjustments optimize picture quality and reduce energy costs
With Toshiba's smart AutoView system, you won't need to worry about manually changing picture settings when you switch from midday viewing to nighttime movie-watching. AutoView continuously monitors the amount of ambient room light, and automatically adjusts the picture accordingly. Volume adjustment is automatic, too Dolby Volume keeps the sound level steady so you're not blasted out of your chair by commercials.
A variety of inputs for your audio/video gear
The 55ZV650U's "jack pack" includes four HDMI inputs and two component video inputs, giving you plenty of options for hooking up your Blu-ray player, HD satellite or cable box, and high-def video game console. A handy SD Card slot on the side of the TV makes it easy to share your digital photos. You can even plug a thumb drive or hard drive into this set's USB port to enjoy your downloaded movie clips, photos, and MP3 music files.
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- Deep Lagoon high-gloss black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- CineSpeed LCD panel (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- ClearScan 240 anti-blur technology (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Resolution+ upconversion improves the look of 480i/480p/720p resolution sources
- AutoView continuously monitors and adjusts the picture based on ambient room light
- DynaLight dynamic backlight control for improved contrast and black level
- PixelPure 5G 14-bit digital video processing
- ColorMaster color adjustment
- Deep Color support
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- multibrand remote control
- REGZA LINK simplifies control of compatible Toshiba components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 8 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 composite video (1 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080i)
- 4 HDMI v1.3 (3 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- side USB port for digital video/photo/MP3 playback
- side SD Card slot for displaying digital still photos (JPEG)
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 29-1/4"W x 15-1/2"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 53-5/8"W x 33"H x 4-1/4"D (35-1/2"H x 15-1/2"D on stand)
- weight: 79.4 lbs. with stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Toshiba 55ZV650U Reviews
What's in the box?
- 55" Widescreen LCD TV with attached pedestal stand
- Wireless remote control (CT-90276)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Cable clamp
- Screen cleaning cloth
- Owner's Manual (Eng/Fre)
- HDTV Quick Set-Up Guide" Product Registration Card
- "How To Clean Your Cabinet" note
- "STOP Need Help?" note
Features and Specs
Cinespeed 10-Bit LCD Panel: Toshiba's 10-bit LCD panel provides 64 times more colors than a standard 8-bit panel, offering smoother transitions between color changes and during subtle shade transitions. Toshiba's REGZA Premium LCD Hi-Speed Cinespeed panels offer a refresh rate of 60 Hz and fast response times of 8ms or faster for an ultra sharp picture, especially when displaying fast-moving action scenes, and demanding video games. A wide 176-degree viewing angle ensures that you can enjoy this TV from any seat in your room.
PixelPure 5G 14-Bit Digital Video Processing: Toshiba's 5th generation PixelPure video processing system uses a 14-bit video DAC and constantly monitors changes in signal quality, content, and movement to enhance sharpness, contrast, and color reproduction. This advanced third-generation digital video processing system runs at a fast 333Mhz and is capable of producing 4,096 levels of gradation (16 times greater than a standard 8-bit processor) for a smooth, natural-looking picture without image banding.
ClearScan 240: ClearScan 240 combines 120 frames per second with a new advanced Backlight Scanning System to create a 240 Hz effect for a new level of picture clarity with motion video.
SRT (Super Resolution Technology): SRT (Super Resolution Technology) upconverts and enhances 480i/p and 720p input signals for a more detailed picture, allowing all of your DVDs and TV channels to be displayed in near High Definition picture quality. The Toshiba LCD TV displays all inputs at a resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080). The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p (24Hz/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA and SXGA signals while the component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. The SRT features offers five settings - Auto, Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3, or Off.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
4 HDMI Inputs: Three of the four HDMI inputs are found on the rear-panel of the television, while one HDMI input is located on the right-side panel of the TV. The four HDMI inputs consists of a single type-A connector HDMI jack. The HDMI jacks can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) from other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The HDMI jacks are compliant with the E-EDID (Enhanced-Extended Display Identification) standards. If you want to connect a DVI-compatible device, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. Since DVI does not carry audio signals, a stereo audio 3.5mm input is provided for the HDMI 1 input. In addition to the HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable, you will also need a stereo audio 3.5mm cable. The HDMI 1 input can also be used to connect the TV to your PC along with the shared PC stereo audio minijack input.
Note: The HDMI jack will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
HDMI Version 1.3 Capabilities: The Toshiba LCD television offers the following HDMI version 1.3 capabilities through its HDMI inputs.
- HDMI INSTAPORT: This technology reduces lag of switching time when switching HDMI sources.
- Lip-Sync Latency: This feature activates and auto audio/video display timing adjustment function that allows HDMI source devices to accurately perform synchronization automatically.
- Deep Color: This HDMI feature allows the HDMI source to increase the available color bits within the boundaries defined by the RGB or YCbCr color space system.
- 24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Toshiba wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
- REGZA-LINK: You can control the basic functions of connected audio/video devices using the TV's remote control if you connect a REGZA-LINK compatible audio receiver or playback device. Available basic functions include - Play, Stop, Pause, Skip, Fast Forward, Rewind and Menu navigation (These function depend on the devices connected). REGZA-LINK also allows for the ability of automatic input switching and power on/off for connected components.
Component Video Inputs: The two ColorStream HD Component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
DynaLight Dynamic Back-Light Control: Toshiba's DynaLight Back-Light Control utilizes advanced image and histogram processing to monitor the brightness of each video frame, and adjust the backlight intensity accordingly. This precision creates seamless transitions with deep blacks for increased detail and depth analysis. This precise signal analysis allows for 256 levels of backlight control and can create a Dynamic Contrast that is 7 to 10 times that of the original panel contrast.
CrystalCoat Contrast Enhancer: CrystalCoat stops ambient room light reflections from washing out the picture, creating up to 30% better contrast in bright rooms and allowing you to enjoy the deep high contrast REGZA picture in all room lighting conditions.
CableClear DNR: Designed to optimize poor NTSC signals from antenna or cable, this noise reduction system eliminates video noise ("snow") for a clean crisp image. This system detects the quality of the incoming video signal, and automatically applies the needed amount of video optimization.
Picture Size: When viewing a source, you can choose one of the following picture sizes:
- Natural: image is displayed close to its originally formatted proportion
- Theater Wide 1: the picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the center of the picture remains close to its true proportion, but the left and right edges are stretched wider to fill the screen, used primarily with a 4:3 source
- Theater Wide 2: entire picture is uniformly enlarged, used primarily with a widescreen source
- Theater Wide 3: picture is non-uniformly enlarged; the picture is stretched wider to fill the width of the screen and stretched slightly taller
- Full: mainly designed for receiving a squeezed 4:3 signal (a 16:9 [480i, 480p] programs squeezed into a 4:3 transmission), the picture is stretched wider to fill the screen, but not taller, none of the picture is hidden
- 4:3 HD: provides a 4:3 aspect ratio of a 720p, 1080i or 1080p signal; sidebars fill the empty vertical spaces while not distorting the picture from its original size
- 4:3 Stretch: the size switching system changes 4:3 programs into full screen pictures
- Native: when receiving a 720p, 1080i or 1080p signal program, Native Mode restores the size of the picture by the 3-5% that is generally lost during the normal over-scanning that occurs on traditional sets. It also avoids unnecessary scaling of HD signals that can reduce overall image resolution and picture quality.
- Dot-by-Dot: non-scaling display for VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA and SXGA sources only
TheaterWide Scrolling: You can set separate scroll settings for the Theater Wide 2 and TheaterWide 3 modes for each input. You can adjust the scroll of the picture up and down as needed form -5 to +10.
Auto Aspect Ratio: The Auto Aspect Ratio feature will automatically select the picture size when one of the following inputs sources is received - a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080 signal from the ANT/Cable input; a 480i signal from the Video 1 or 2 inputs; a 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i signal for the Component Video 1 or 2 inputs; and a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or VGA (60/72/75Hz) signal from any of the HDMI inputs. When the auto aspect feature is turned on and the TV receives a 480i signal, the picture size is automatically selected; a 4:3 signal is set to Natural, a 16:9 signal is set to Full, a 4:3 letterbox signal is set to Theater Wide 2. If the signal's aspect is not defined, the Picture Size defaults to the last manually chosen setting.
Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes for each input:
- AutoView: AutoView uses an external light sensor to automatically adjust various picture quality settings based on the amount of ambient room lighting and the type of video content you are watching for an improved viewing experience. AutoView monitors and adjusts brightness, sharpness, contrast, color, and SRT settings to improve picture quality.
- Sports: Bright and dynamic picture.
- Standard: Standard picture setting.
- Movie: Lower contrast for a darkened room.
- PC: Designed for viewing of tables/documents from a PC.
- Preference: Allows you to adjust and store contrast, backlight, DynaLight, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness.
TheaterLock: The TheaterLock feature allows you to lock all items that affect the picture mode setting.
Color Temperature: You can change the quality of the picture by selecting from three preset color temperatures - Cool (bluish), Medium (neutral), or Warm (reddish). You can also adjust the levels of greens and blues in each preset temperature.
ColorMaster: The ColorMaster feature adjusts hue, saturation, and color brightness of six different colors (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Magenta, Cyan) to create picture quality your way. This provides deep, natural colors for increased depth and realism.
Base Color Adjustment: When the ColorMaster feature is selected, a list of base colors will be displayed. You can then select the base colors you want to adjust and fine tune the Hue, Saturation and Brightness of those colors.
Expert Mode: This feature individually enables/disables the Red, green, and Blue components of the picture to allow for more accurate adjustment of each color.
Dynamic Contrast: When dynamic contrast is set to Low, Middle or High, the TV will detect when changes in picture quality that affect the appearance of your contrast settings and adjust the video automatically.
Auto Brightness Sensor: When this feature is activated, the TV will automatically optimize the backlighting levels to suit ambient light conditions.
Backlight Adjustment Pro: This feature adjust the backlight so that it can change to match the ambient light conditions. The adjustment range is from 0 to 100.
MPEG Noise Reduction: The MPEG noise reduction feature allows you to reduce visible interference caused by MPEG compression. You can choose High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Static Gamma Adjustment: The Static Gamma feature allows you to adjust the levels of black in the picture. The adjustment range is with +/-5 from center.
Film Stabilization: This feature helps to eliminate video shaking that can occur during Cinema Mode processing.
Dolby Volume: Dolby Volume uses advanced algorithms to monitor the audio during programs, when commercials start, and when changing channels. Louder programming is brought down, while lower programming is brought up. This ensures a consistent volume level with full dynamic range at all times.
Bass And Treble: You can adjust the audio quality by adjusting the TV's bass, treble and balance.
Advanced Audio Settings: The Toshiba LCD TV offer three advanced audio settings to provide a fuller, richer and wider sound effect. You can select from the following.
- Surround: activates a surround sound effect which allows for a wider sound-stage (choose from Spatial or Cinema)
- Voice Enhancement: emphasizes the vocals of the program
- Dynamic Bass Boost: provides a deeper, richer bass
Dolby Digital Dynamic Range Control: This dynamic range control feature causes the ATSC dynamic range to be further compressed, allowing you to switch from ATSC to analog broadcast at the same dynamic range.
Two-level Mute: The TV mutes the volume half-way when the Mute button is pressed once on the remote; when pressed a second time the TV will mute the volume completely and when pressed a third time the volume will resume as normal.
Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The format can be set to Dolby Digital or PCM.
Media Player: The Toshiba REGZA TV allows you to enjoy photos (JPEG), movies (DivX), or music (MP3) contents store on a USB device or SD memory card (photos only) using the television's side-panel USB port and SD-card slot. The television supports USB mass storage devices with JPEG still images (10,000,000 pixels; 9MB), DivX movies ( 720 x 480; 30 fps), and MP3 music files (8-320 kbps) formatted in FAT 12, FAT 16, or FAT 32. The television supports SD memory cards (SD) up to 2GB and SD High-Capacity memory cards (SDHC) from 4 to 32GB for JPEG still image( 10,000,000 pixels; 9MB) playback only. The TV can recognize up to 500 DivX movie files per folder, 500 MP3 audio files per folder, or 2000 JPEG image files per folder. The TV offers basic playback functions (Play, Pause, Stop, Rew, FF, Skip) for movie and audio files; as well as Single, Index, and Slide Show playback for still images.
RGB/PC Input: This connection allows you to view the image of a personal computer on the TV screen. When connecting the PC to the TV, you will need a 15-pin D-sub RGB computer cable and a PC audio cable. The PC input shares the stereo audio 3.5mm input with the television's HDMI 1 input.
Channel Browser: The Channel Browser allows you to browse and view channels/inputs by storing your recently viewed channels/inputs in channel/input history. You can surf back to channels/inputs you viewed prior to your current channel/input, and surf forward from previous channels/inputs up to your current channel. Up to 32 previously viewed channels/inputs can be stored in history.
Favorite Browser: Within the Channel Browser you can preview preset Favorite Channels via thumbnails along the bottom of the screen.
Channel Return: The Channel Return feature allows you to switch between two channels without entering an actual channel number each time
SurfLock: The SurfLock feature temporarily memorizes one channel under the Channel Return button, so you can return to that channel quickly from any other channel.
Input Label: You can label each input according to its connected source. You can create up to an eight character name for each video input.
Closed Captions: The TVs closed caption mode has two options.
- Captions: an on-screen display of the dialog, narration, and sound effects of TV programs and video that are closed captioned
- Text: an on-screen display of information not related tot the current program, such as weather or stock data when provide by individual stations
Digital CC: You can customize the closed caption display characteristics by changing the background color, opacity, text size, type, edge and color.
Lock System: The TV's Lock Menu includes ratings blocking, channel blocking, input locking and panel control lock which are all protected by the same user customized 4 digit password.
- Parental Control: Some TV programs and movies include signals that classify the content of the program (violence, dialogue, language, etc). The V-Chip feature in this television detect the signals and blocks the programs according to the ratings you select. Your rating setting is protected by a custom-user 4-digit password.
- Channel Block: With the Channels Block feature, you can block specific channels.
- Input Lock: You can sue the Input Lock feature to lock the video inputs (Video 1, Video 2, Component 1, Component 2, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and PC) and channels 3 and 4. You will not be able to view the input sources or channels until you unlock the inputs.
- Control Panel Lock: You can lock the control panel to prevent your settings from being changed accidentally.
Timers: The television offers three timer settings.
- GameTimer: You can use the GameTimer function to se a time limit for playing a video game from 30 to 120 minutes. When the GameTimer expires, the TV enters Input Lock mode and locks out the input source for the video game device.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be adjusted from 10 minutes to 3 hours in 10-minute increments.
- On Timer: You can set the on timer to automatically turn on the TV to a preset channel or input at a preset time.
Power-On Mode: You can select between a Power-Saving or Fast mode.
- Power-Saving: keeps power consumption in standby mode to below 0.3W; as a result, it takes a bit longer to turn on
- Fast Mode: increases power consumption in standby mode to allow the TV to turn on quicker; while in Fast mode the yellow LED on the TV front panel will be lit
Last Mode Memory: If the power is cut off while you are viewing the TV, the Last Mode Memory feature automatically turns on the TV when the power is re-supplied.
Note: You should unplug the TV's power cord if it is probable that you will be away from the TV for an extended period of time after the power is restored.
Auto Power Off: In ANT mode the TV will automatically turn itself off after approximately 15 minutes if it is turned to a vacant channel or a station that completes it broadcast for the day.
PC Connection: You can view the image from your PC on the TV screen by the unit's 15-pin D-sub RGB input or HDMI 1 input. The PC input can accept VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA and SXGA signal formats.
PC Settings: When your PC is connected to the TV's 15-pin D-sub RGB terminal, you can use the TV's PC Settings features to make adjustments to the image such as picture horizontal and vertical position, clock phase (helps reduce noise and sharpens picture) and sampling clock (helps reduce noise and minimize periodic vertical stripes on-screen).
PC Audio: This function allows you to output the sound from your PC through the TV's speakers via the PC stereo 3.5mm input on back of the TV.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on many other brand components; including cable boxes, satellite receivers, DVD players, DVD-recorders, DVD/VCR combos, VCRs, PVRs, CD players, and audio receivers.
REGZA-LINK: REGZA-LINK allows control of external Toshiba devices from the TV's remote control via HDMI connection. REGZA-LINK features TV Auto Input Switch, TV Auto Power, and playback control for DVD players, as well as Volume/Mute controls for your A/V receiver.
IR Out: You can use the TV's IR Out terminal (infrared pass-through) to remotely operate (through the TV) many infrared remote-controlled devices, such as Toshiba infrared remote controlled VCRs or DVD players, enclosed with an entertainment center or audio cabinet.
Pedestal Stand: The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand attached. The pedestal stand can be removed to wall-mount the television.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is VESA 400 x 200 (400mm horizontal x 200mm vertical), in accordance with the industry standards set by the Video Electronics Standards Association. The threaded inserts require 8mm machine screws (not supplied).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.