Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Toshiba D-VR610 gives you both a DVD recorder and a VCR in one space-saving package. Just connect a cable box or satellite receiver to record your favorite TV shows. Internal dubbing from VHS to DVD, and vice versa, lets you back up your home movies and other non-copy-protected material. Front-panel inputs provide a quick and easy way to record from other sources, such as a camcorder. Plus, if your HDTV has an HDMI input, the D-VR610 can upconvert DVDs to better match your set's high-resolution screen, so all your discs will look their best.
Shipping Note: Sorry, we can only ship Toshiba products to the 49 continental United States and Washington D.C.; we can't ship them to Hawaii or U.S. Territories. (Solamente es posible enviar productos de la Toshiba dentro los 49 estados unidos continentales y Washington D.C.)
- no built-in TV tuner requires a connection to a cable box or satellite receiver
- upconverts and displays DVD video at 720p/1080i/1080p via HDMI digital interface
- selectable progressive-scan playback for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- 4 DVD recording quality settings, 2 VHS recording speeds (SP, SLP)
- coaxial digital audio output for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
- front-panel digital camcorder input (IEEE 1394)
- 2 sets audio/video inputs (composite, S-video), including 1 front-panel
- 1 set audio/video outputs (composite, S-video, 480i/480p component video, and HDMI)
- records to the following types of discs:
- write-once DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, for making permanent recordings
- rewritable DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, and DivX® discs
- plays audio CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- auto DVD finalization
- one-touch timer recording
- two-way dubbing of non-copy-protected material
- remote control
- 54 MHz/10-bit video digital-to-analog converter
- 192 kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter
- 17-3/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 12-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- Note: Internal dubbing of copy-protected DVDs is not possible.
Toshiba D-VR610 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
It was stated in the product description that the device didn't have a tuner. Since most purchasers of these products have cable or satellite service, a tuner isn't needed, as the cable/satellite box is the tuner. Why pay extra for it if it isn't needed? Of course, you are free to rate as you please, but in your case the failure wasn't the product. The low rating is unfair and potentially misleading. I gave this product as a gift and it works great.
HD Reproductions Excel with this Combo Unit
I was surprised at the high quality reproduction (even with HD signals) which delivered clear, crisp replay. Dubbing was flawless and do not have the problem of Voice and picture Synch like many other combo units. The S-Video in from Cable box reformats the picture ratio (aspect) and has the best clearity I've seen so far. (And I've had many DVD recorders since 2002) This Unit is truly a champion. The only drawback and disappointment is that Toshiba does not have pass through technology for when you shut off the unit, and want to have both sound and picture continue. Bummer! But all else is stellar and by far a superior system.
It does what is says it'll do
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Very good equipment...easy to set up and use. For the price, it's great! If you want a product that does more, just be ready to pay more. This one does what I want it to do.
I purchased this combo but was dismayed to learn it did not have a tuner. That makes it useless as far as I am concerned as I have to have the TV on to use it. I returned it and subsequently purchased a Sony combo.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I like it since they can still make a vcr.
What's in the box?
- DVD/VCR player/recorder combo
- Wireless remote control (SE-R0295)
- 2 "AA" batteries (stored in packing material)
- 59" Composite video cable
- 59" Stereo audio RCA cable
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Guide (English)
- Quick Guide (Spanish)
- Customer Service Contact sheet
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Hard Drive Recorder||No|
|Hard Drive Capacity||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|RCA Audio Inputs||2 Pair|
|Composite Video Inputs||2|
|Component Video Inputs||No|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Product Overview: The Toshiba D-VR610 can record video and audio to blank DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs, as well as VHS video cassettes. Two line inputs (one on the rear and one on the front) allow you to record from several sources. Although you can dub from DVD to VHS or from VHS to DVD, you cannot record from copyrighted materials.
Note: This unit does not feature a built-in tuner. An external tuner source is required to record television programming.
Audio D/A Converter: The unit has a 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter for excellent audio reproduction.
Video D/A Converter: This unit uses a 54MHz/10-bit video digital-to-analog converter, which reduces digital artifacts for a better picture.
HDMI Video Upconversion: The D-VR610 is equipped with an HDMI output, which transfers digital audio and uncompressed digital video to the TV on a single cable. The resolution for the HDMI output can be upconverted to 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
Black Level: You can adjust the black level to control the brightness of the picture in order to get a better picture.
Recording Methods: There are several methods for recording content onto a tape or disc.
- One-Touch Recording: You can record content from an external tuner source while watching program
- One-Touch Timer Recording: This function allows you to set the recording time in blocks of 30 minutes up to 8 hours for recording from an external tuner source.
- Timer Recording: You can program the unit to record up to 12 programs from an external tuner source within a month in advance. Daily or weekly program recordings are also available.
- Satellite Link: You can set the unit to start recording whenever it detects the video signal from the connected external tuner source.
- Bi-Direction Dubbing: You can copy from DVD to VCR, or from VCR to DVD. Recording of copyrighted material from DVD to VCR or from VCR to DVD is not allowed.
- DV Dubbing: This function lets you record contents from your digital video camcorder to this unit using the D-VR610 front-panel DV-input.
Simultaneous Record and Play: You can playback the DVD during VCR timer recording or one-touch recording. Also, you can playback the VCR during DVD timer recording or one-touch recording. You cannot record on the DVD and VCR simultaneously.
DVD Recording Speeds: The D-VR610 can record DVDs in any of four recording speeds: (using 4.7GB 12 cm disc)
- XP: records approximately 1 hour
- SP: records approximately 2 hours
- LP: records approximately 4 hours
- SLP: records approximately 6 hours
Compatible Discs: This unit can record on the following blank 12cm or 8cm DVDs:
- DVD-RW: Version 1.1, 1.2, Version 1.1/2x CPRM Support, Version 1.2/4x CPRM Support
- DVD-R: Version 2.0, Version 2.0/4-16x speed
- DVD+R: 1x-16x speed
- DVD+RW: 1x - 4x speed
MP3/WMA Playback: In addition to DVDs and CDs, this unit will play MP3 and WMA audio files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 or Joliet formats. The playable bit rate range is 112-320 kbps (constant or variable bit rates) for MP3 and 48-192 kbps for WMA. This unit can read a maximum of 255 folders, up to 99 tracks per folder and a total of 999 files per disc.
Note: This unit cannot record to CD-R or CD-RW discs.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play JPEG picture files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 or Joliet formats. This unit can read a maximum of 255 folders, up to 99 tracks per folder and a total of 999 files per disc. All JPEG files on a disc can be played back in a slide show with an interval of 5, 10, or 15 seconds. You can zoom in on any selected image (2x or 4x), or rotate the image clockwise 90 degrees until the desired angle is selected.
DivX Playback: The D-VR610 is an official DivX Certified product. The unit supports the following DivX profiles - DivX 3.x, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, and DivX 6.0. The D-VR610 can support up to a 720 x 480 @ 30 fps and 720 x 576 @ 25 fps DivX image. The unit will recognize up to 255 folder or 999 files per disc.
VCR Recording Speeds: You can record VHS tapes in either of two speeds: SP--Standard Play (2 hours on a T-120 tape) or SLP--Super Long Play (6 hours on a T-120 tape).
Progressive Scan: This unit may be set to output a progressive scan video signal from the Color Stream Pro component video output. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film-like, with more fine detail and less flicker. Progressive-scan viewing requires a TV with a progressive scan compatible component video input.
Video Output: You can set the D-VR610's video output to to 4:3 Letter-Box, 4:3 Pan&Scan or 16:9 Wide to match the aspect ratio of your connected television.
Recording Aspect Ratio: You can set the the D-VR610 to record in a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio.
Auto Chapter: You can automatically make chapter marks on the DVD while recording. You can select an interval of 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes or 60 minutes. Auto Chapter can also be turned off, if desired. Simultaneous Record and Play: You can playback the DVD during VCR timer recording or one-touch recording. Also, you can playback the VCR during DVD timer recording or one-touch recording. You cannot record on the DVD and VCR simultaneously.
Auto Finalizing: You can finalize disc automatically using this function. You can use this function to finalize discs after finishing all timer recordings and at the end of the disc space. You will need to finalize disc to play back on other DVD players.
Chase Playback: The Chase Playback function allows you to begin watching a DVD recording that is already in progress. Playback cannot start until at least 30 seconds of the program has been recorded. During playback of the DVD recording, you can pause, fast-forward, and fast-reverse the recording.
Rapid Playback: This function is available only on disc recorded in the Dolby Digital format, and plays back in a slightly faster (1.3x) or slower speed (0.8x) while keeping the sound outputs.
Instant Skip: You can skip TV commercials to enjoy the recorded programs without interruption. The Instant Skip feature searches ahead 30 seconds up to 180 seconds.
Index Search: An index mark will be assigned at the beginning of each recording you make on a VHS tape. You may skip to a specific marked point using Index Search.
Time Search: This feature allows you to go to a specific point on a cassette tape by entering the exact amount of time you wish to skip in order to reach the point.
Title List: The Title List feature allows you to check the titles recorded on your disc easily. You can choose a title to play back from this list and easily edit the titles as you prefer.
Editing Discs: This unit offers convenient editing functions which are possible only with DVD-RW/-R and DVD+RW/+R discs.
- Title Name Assignment: You can add a name to a disc or recorded title up to 30 characters long.
- Dividing Titles: You can divide a recorded video into two parts
- Combining Titles: You can combine two recorded videos into one movie
- Creating Playlist: You can create a playlist with up to 99 titles on a disc
- Erasing Playlist: You can also delete a playlist once it is no longer needed.
- Title Protection: You can protect certain videos recorded on a disc from being erased or edited.
- Chapter Marks: You can put chapter mark in each title. Once a chapter is marked, you can use it for the chapter search feature to find that section of the disc easily.
- Title Deletion: You can delete titles which you do not need anymore.
Camera Angles: Some DVD-video discs have scenes shot from two or more angels to choose from.
Virtual Surround: You can enjoy stereophonic virtual space through your existing two channel stereo system.
Parental Lock: Some DVD-video discs feature a parental lock level. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the levels you set; it will require you to enter a password before the disc will playback. This feature prevents your children from viewing inappropriate material.
Remote Control: The supplied SE-R0295 wireless remote can control the DVD/VCR recorder only.
HDMI Output: The D-VR610 has one HDMI output for DVD playback only. You can set the HDMI output resolution to 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
A/V Outputs: The unit is equipped with separate output jacks for DVD/VCR and DVD priority. The DVD/VCR output includes stereo RCA audio and composite video jacks. The DVD priority output includes stereo RCA audio, S-Video, and Component Video jacks, along with coaxial digital audio output.
Digital Outputs: The coaxial digital output can both pass a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream to an A/V receiver with surround decoders.
A/V Inputs: The D-VR610 features two sets of A/V inputs, one on the rear panel and one on the front panel, each featuring stereo RCA audio and composite video jacks. The rear-panel AV input also features an S-Video jack.
DV Input: This unit has a front panel DV input terminal which supports input from a DV-format digital camcorder. You can record to DVD or VCR from the camcorder. In the DVD mode, you can use Play, F.Fwd, Rew, Pause/Still, and Stop on the front panel or remote control of this unit to control the DV camcorder. You cannot control the camcorder while in the VCR mode.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.