Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The exceptional is standard, so they added extraordinary
This high-magnification, high-precision spotting scope offers everything you'd expect from Nikon — but there are a few other options included that might surpise you. Superb optical elements, impeccable build quality, and logical, ergonomic design are standard, of course. But vibration reduction (VR) is a feature not often found in fieldscopes, and on an instrument of this quality it will greatly increase your options for both live viewing and photography. This fieldscope is "digiscopable," which means you can use an FSA-L2 adapter to attach a compatible DSLR for impressive long-distance shots and elementary astrophotography. So when you take pictures and add vibration reduction, you'll be able to engage shutter speeds up to 2 stops slower than you'd ordinarily use, so your long-distance images will be sharp and clear — with a minimum of color fringing artifacts.
The angled eyepiece makes it easy to adjust this scope for people of differing heights — something that will come in handy when using it on your family mountain or beach vacation.
Impeccable optics mean impeccable images
A variable-focal-length 20-60X eyepiece receives impressive amounts of light from a bright 85mm objective lens, so even when you're zoomed in at 60X, you'll notice that low light isn't quite the challenge you may have feared. Redesigned internal prisms and extra-low-dispersion glass elements have been engineered to deliver high-contrast, color-accurate images down the light path. The scope has been internally nitrogen-purged and O-ring sealed for fog-proof and waterproof performance. Plus, an included sliding sunshade protects the front objective from being struck by dust or rain when you're tracking that elusive bird in the wilderness.
- features Nikon's lens-shift vibration-reduction (VR) technology, providing stable images for live observation or digiscoping
- VR use allows slower shutter speeds (up to 2 stops) while using an SLR with a digiscope adapter
- after engaging VR lock knob, one button touch activates function
- VR function uses readily available "AA" batteries
- 85mm objective lens gathers light well without adding bulk to scope's body
- Nikon FEP-20-60X zoom eyepiece with travel pouch features aspherical lens element
- seven other EDG eyepieces are available separately to extend the fieldscope's utility
- phase-correction-coated roof prisms make for a compact design
- sliding hood eliminates flaring and glare and protects objective lens from moisture and dust
- multicoated optical elements provide a high-contrast, color-accurate image
- extra-low-dispersion (ED) glass elements allow greatly reduced color fringing and greater sharpness and contrast
- scope is nitrogen purged and O-ring sealed to keep it fog-free and water-resistant
Specifications and Dimensions:
- magnification: 20-60X
- objective diameter: 85mm
- field of view at 1000 yards: 114 feet (at 20X)
- exit pupil: 4.2mm (at 20X)
- eye relief: 18mm
- length (without eyepiece) : 15-11/16"
- height: 5-9/16"
- width: 4-1/8"
- weight: 84.66 ounces (body only, without batteries)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 20-60X eyepiece with pouch
- sliding sunshade
- Vue-Thru case
- lens covers
- case strap
Nikon 20-60 x 85mm Angled Body VR EDG Fieldscope Kit Reviews
What's in the box?
- The product was not opened to inventory box contents.
- The Nikon Sport Optics website says the box contains:
- EDG VR Angled-body Fieldscope with 85mm objective lens
- 20-60x Zoom eyepiece
- Sliding sunshade
- Vue-Thru case
- Eyepiece travel pouch
- Lens covers
- Adjustable carry straps
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Form
- Registration Form
Overview: The Nikon EDG VR 85-A Angled-body Fieldscope is the world's first Fieldscope to feature Nikon's lens-shift type Vibration Reduction (VR) system. The scope includes the 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece, which screws into the scope body. The fieldscope comes with a soft, padded neoprene storage case and a shoulder strap. The EDG 85-A can be mounted to a tripod with a standard 1/4" tripod thread.
Vibration Reduction (VR): Nikon's Vibration Reduction technology greatly reduces external vibrations caused by wind or the operational vibrations that occur during focusing, panning, and tilting on a tripod. The Vibration Reduction system uses two Voice Coil Motors (VCMs) that can control pitching (vertical movement) and yawing (horizontal movement) to give you rock steady images.
Water-Resistant: The EDG VR 85-A fieldscope is waterproof, and will not suffer damage to the internal optics if dropped or submerged in water up to a depth of 1 meter for up to 5 minutes. It is nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed to protect the lenses and prism from condensation and mold.
Multi-coated ED Optics: The EDG VR 85-A features high-quality Nikon ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass that fully compensates for chromatic aberration to give you ultra-sharp images with clear details and true colors. These high-grade optics are fully coated in multiple layers of anti-reflective compounds for bright resolution and brilliant color.
20-60x Zoom Eyepiece: The included 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece screw-mounts to the scope body. You can adjust the zoom from 20x to 60x by rotating the zooming ring.
Power Requirements: The Vibration Technology system is powered by four AA alkaline batteries, which give you approximately 17 continuous hours of use. The Auto Power Off feature turns off the VR system after 30 minutes to conserve power.
Digiscoping Compatible: With the optional Nikon FSA-L2 attachment, you can connect the EDG VR 85-A fieldscope to virtually any Nikon DSLR camera with an F-type mount. The adapter provides a 3.5x zoom that gives you a focal length range of 500mm to 1750mm (FX format) or 750mm to 2625mm (DX format).
- Model: Fieldscope EDG VR 85-A with 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece
- Magnification: 20x to 60x
- Objective Diameter: 85mm
- Close Focusing Distance: 16.5 yards (5 meters)
- Relative Brightness: 18.5 (at 20x)
- Eye Relief: 18.4mm (at 20x)
- Dimensions (body only): Length=15.67", Width=4.1
- Weight: 84.66 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Dec 19, 2014 ] Staff