Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon 1 J1 w/10-30mm and 30-110mm VR Lenses
CX format hybrid camera with interchangeable lens capability (Silver)
Nikon 1 J1 w/10-30mm and 30-110mm VR Lenses
Our take on the Nikon 1 J1 w/10-30mm and 30-110mm VR Lenses by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Goliath, meet David
Don't let conventional wisdom sway you. Bigger isn't always better when it comes to cameras, either in size or specs. For a whole lot of people, the Nikon 1 J1 could be the perfect mix of easy portability, simplicity, seductive technology, and image quality. Maybe even for you.
When first glancing at this camera or eyeballing its specs, you might not think it's a trailblazer. A clean, crisp design, but minimal controls. A new CX sensor size that's not the biggest on the block. Ten megapixels. But the engineers and designers at Nikon have put a lot of thought into their first mirror-less hybrid, and if you've spent any time around the photography world, you know they know a thing or two about making good pictures.
A recipe for image quality
The fact is, the Nikon 1 Series' combination of lens design, sensor size and pixel count has been carefully crafted to bring you impressive picture quality while maintaining a compact-camera form factor. This is an ideal camera for the point-and shoot enthusiast who's been craving some DSLR features: Big-time autofocus capability. Low-light performance that raises eyebrows. Lightning-fast continuous shooting. And responsive, high-sensitivity 1080-line HD video.
New thinking means new features
Innovations like Motion Snapshot provide a whole different way to relive a classic moment. Press the shutter button, and the camera will capture a 2-second HD-quality slow-motion clip and give it an ambient music bed of your choosing, so you can remember every nuance of that wave crashing to the shore or that look on your loved one's face. And Smart Photo Selector will act as your personal photo editor, choosing the best pictures from a series of 20 continuous shots.
This camera is outfitted with two carefully chosen lenses: the 10-30mm lens will be a perfect companion for everyday shooting challenges and travel photography. The 3X zoom range will gather anything from a beach-side panorama to a moody candid portrait.
The 30-110mm lens is perfect for those occasions that demand a little more reach, like sports photography, or birding. You'll want to have this one at the ready any time you're shooting outdoors. It, too, has vibration reduction which improves low-light performance and enhances detail on long-reach handheld shots.
Both lenses feature precision Nikkor optical construction, which means clean, crisp shots across the entire image, with a minimum of color fringing or blurriness.
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body (silver) with attached 1-Mount body cap
- Silver 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Silver 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 lens
- 2 Silver LC-N40.5 lens caps (attached to lenses)
- 2 Black 1-Mount rear lens cap (attached to lenses)
- Silver HB-N103 lens hood
- EN-EL20 Lithium-Ion battery pack (7.2 Volts/1020 mAh) with attached plastic terminal cap
- MH-27 Battery charger
- Silver adjustable neck strap
- 5' USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- ViewNX2 Short Movie Creator software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- User's Manual (English)
- User's Manual (Spanish)
- Quick Start Guide (English)
- Quick Start Guide (Spanish)
- Nikon Digital Imaging Limited Warranty
- Warranty Form
- Extended Service Coverage envelope
- Note regarding the lens barrel button
- 10.1-megapixel effective recording
- Nikon CX CMOS image sensor (13.2 X 8.8 mm)
- includes Nikkor VRII 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens and Nikkor VRII 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens (respective 35mm equivalent focal lengths: 27-81mm and 81-297mm)
- 3" 460k-dot LCD screen with anti-glare coating for easy viewing outdoors
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080i @ 60 frames per second, or 1080p @ 30 fps)
- EXPEED 3 image processor means fast data transfer rates for superior continuous shooting
- simultaneously capture full resolution pictures and HD video
- Smart Photo Selector chooses the best shots from a continuous series
- single-point autofocus has 135 areas; auto-area autofocus has 41 areas
- maintain razor-sharp autofocus while shooting 10 continuous frames per second
- built-in, pop-up flash
- wide ISO range for colorful, dynamic low-light performance
- simple, uncluttered control interface is powerful yet easy to understand
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Nikkor Nikon-1 mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 10 frames per second with continuous autofocus
- shutter speed range: 1/3 - 1/16,000 second, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-3200 auto, 6400 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flash compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
- 5 preset scene modes
- flash sync: up to 1/60 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine and Standard), Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW), and Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- MPEG-4/H.264 movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 interlaced frames per second with stereo sound; up to 1200 frames per second slo-mo available at 320 x 120 pixels
- accepts optional SD and high-capacity SDHC cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-1/4"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-11/4"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 8.3 oz.
- Nikkor VRII 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 mount lens and Nikkor VRII 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens
- body cap
- rechargeable EN-EL20 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM, manual, and reference manual CD
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27-81mm|
|Effective Megapixel Count||10.1|
|Highest Resolution||3872 x 2592|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||13.9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Nikon J1: The new Nikon J1 is a compact, interchangeable lens camera that combines advanced functionality with a simple, intuitive design. It has the Nikon 1 mount, and is compatible with 1 Nikkor lenses. This Double Zoom kit includes the 10-30mm and 30-110mm Zoom lenses. The 10mm Single Focus lens (05410MMN1K) is also available.
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Nikon J1 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 460,000 dots, an anti-glare coating, and a 7-level brightness adjustment. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The J1 features the newly developed Nikon CX-format super high-speed AF, 13.2mm x 8.8mm CMOS sensor. It has 12-million total pixels and 10.1-million effective pixels.
Included Lenses: The J1 Double Zoom kit includes two lenses:
|1 Nikkor VR
|1 Nikkor VR
|Lens Type||Standard Zoom (3x)||Compact Telephoto Zoom (3.7x)|
|Minimum Focal Distance||0.66' (7.8")||3.3'|
EXPEED 3 Image Processor: Nikon's new EXPEED 3 Image Processor has dual image processors for outstanding performance, high-speed processing, state-of-the-art phase detection autofocus, and the fastest data transfer rates.
Recording Media: Images can be recorded onto SD (Secure Digital), SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards. The camera can support SD cards from up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 8 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards from 48 GB to 64 GB. Cards with Class 6 or higher writing speeds are recommended for movie recording.
Image Quality: The J1 records still images in JPEG format at Fine (1:4), Normal (1:8), or Basic (1:16) compression. In addition, compressed 12-bit raw data from the image sensor can be saved directly to the memory card in NEF (RAW) format. The white balance, contrast, and other settings can be adjusted on a computer after shooting. If desired, the J1 can record two images simultaneously: one NEF (RAW) image and one fine-quality JPEG image.
Image Size: There are three image sizes to choose from when taking photos in the Still Image and Smart Photo Selector modes:
- Large: 3872 x 2592
- Medium: 2896 x 1944
- Small: 1936 x 1296
Mode Dial: The Nikon J1 has a mode dial on the back panel with only 4 shooting mode choices: Still Image Mode, Movie Mode, Motion Snapshot Mode, and Smart Photo Selector Mode.
Still Image Mode: In the Still Image mode, you can also select from Scene Auto Selector, Programmed Auto, Aperture-priority Auto, Shutter-priority Auto, or Manual Exposure modes. When set to Scene Auto Selector, the camera will automatically analyze the subject and select the appropriate scene. Scene selections include Portrait, Landscape, Night Portrait, Close Up, or Auto (for subjects that do not fall into the other categories).
HD Movies: The Nikon J1 can record High Definition movies in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video compression with AAC audio) in three settings:
- 1080/60i: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 720/60p: 1280 x 720, 16 Mbps
Still Images in Movie Mode: You can take still images while you are recording HD movies. The images are in 16:9 aspect ratio with a resolution of 3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080, or 1280 x 720.
Slow Motion Movies: You can record motion pictures at a high frame rate, which are played back as slow motion movies at 30p. No audio is recorded, and the aspect ratio is 8:3. There are two slow motion movie options:
|Option||Frame Size||Bit Rate||Maximum Length
|400 fps||640 x 240||1.8 Mbps||5 seconds||1 min 6 sec|
|1200 fps||320 x 120||0.6 Mbps||5 seconds||3 min 20 sec|
Smart Photo Selector Mode: The Smart Photo Selector mode keeps you from missing the picture-perfect moments. When you have composed the photo and press the shutter-release button halfway to focus, the camera begins taking rapid buffering photographs (at 30 fps). After the shutter-release button is pressed fully, the camera will compare shots recorded to the buffer both before and after the button was pressed. The best shot based on composition and motion, and four best shot candidates are copied to the memory card.
Motion Snapshot Mode: The Motion Snapshot mode can turn a simple still image into a creative new way to capture and share your memories. In Motion Snapshot mode, the camera records a high-resolution still image (3840 x 2160), plus a one-second movie vignette. When played back on the camera, the movie will play back in slow motion over approximately 2.5 seconds, followed by the still image. In addition, a short musical background track plays while the Motion Snapshot image is displayed. You can choose your background music from Beauty, Waves, Relaxation, or Tenderness.
Release Modes: You can choose one of the following release modes:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous: The camera records photos at up to 5 frames per second while the shutter release button is held down.
- Electronic (Hi): The camera records photos at high rates while the shutter release button is held down. You can set the frame rates at 10 fps (with continuous focus at center of the frame), 30 fps, or 60 fps (focus and exposure are fixed at the values for the first photograph).
Self-timer and Remote Control Modes: You can use the self timer or optional ML-L3 remote control (054MLL3) to reduce camera shake or for self portraits. The self timer will release the shutter 2, 5, or 10 seconds after the shutter-release button is pressed fully. Using the ML-L3 remote, you can select Delayed Remote (shutter released 2 seconds after remote is pressed) or Quick-response Remote (shutter released immediately after remote is pressed).
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
|A3200 Auto (100-3200)||The camera adjusts ISO sensitivity in response to lighting conditions in the range given in brackets. Larger ranges give you increase sensitivity when lighting is poor; smaller ranges give you reduced noise.|
|A800 Auto (100-800)|
|A400 Auto (100-400)|
|100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, Hi 1||ISO sensitivity is fixed at the selected value.|
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, or Shade. You can also choose Preset Manual and set the white balance for the lighting conditions.
Picture Control: You can choose how the camera processes photos through Picture Control. Preset Picture Controls include Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. The preset picture controls can be modified to suit the scene or your creative intent. Some Picture Control Settings include Quick Adjust, Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Filter Effects, and Toning. Edited Picture Controls can be saved as Custom Picture Controls.
Flash Modes: The J1 has a built-in pop-up flash with a range of 2 to 16 feet (Wide angle) and 2 feet to 9.8 feet (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Fill Flash, Red-eye Reduction, Red-eye Reduction + Slow Sync, Fill Flash + Slow Sync, Rear Curtain + Slow Sync, and Rear-curtain Sync.
Playback Modes: During playback, you can view images one-at-a-time, or multiple thumbnail images of 4, 9, or 72. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. You can also view pictures taken on a selected date in a calendar format.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image to get a closer look at the detail. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Playback Menu: The Playback menu lets you display or edit your photos and movies. You can choose from the following options:
- Delete: Delete multiple images at once
- Slide Show: View a slide show of images on the memory card with numerous options for image type, date, scene, rating, face priority, frame interval, movie playback time, and audio.
- Rotate Tall: Automatically rotate "tall" portrait-oriented images for display in the camera monitor.
- DPOF Print Order: Create a digital print order for Pictbridge-compatible printers
- Protect: Protect pictures from accidental deletion
- Rating: Rate pictures from 0 to 5
- D-Lighting: Brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Resizing Pictures: Create a small copy of a recorded image.
- Cropping: Create a cropped copy of a recorded image.
- Edit Movie: Create copies of movies with unwanted footage removed.
Power Requirements: The J1 is powered by the supplied EN-EL20 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 230 shots, or approximately 70 minutes of HD footage (1080/60i). Using the supplied MH-27 battery charger, the EN-EL20 requires approximately 2 hours to charge. For longer periods of use, it is recommended to power the camera using the optional EH-5b AC adapter and EP-5C power connector (sold separately).
Auto Power Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Power Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 10 minutes.
HDMI Output: The J1 features a Type C mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to a TV for playback. If the camera is connected to a device that supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), you can control the camera with the device's remote control.
USB Output: The J1 has a Hi-Speed Mini-B USB 2.0 connector for connecting the camera to a computer or Pictbridge-compatible printer. A 5' USB cable is included.
ViewNX2 / Short Movie Creator CD-ROM: The supplied CD-ROM contains the ViewNX2 software to copy (transfer) pictures from the camera to the computer and to perform other transfer-related functions. You can also crop pictures, make picture adjustments, and process/edit RAW images. The CD-ROM also includes the Short Movie Creator software which can create and edit short movies combining music, Motion Snapshots, movie footage, and photos taken in still image or Smart Photo Selector mode.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with Windows and Macintosh. Your computer should have one of the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 (SP1): Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate
- Windows Vista (SP2): Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
- Windows XP (SP3): Home Edition, Professional
- Macintosh: OS X version 10.5.8 or 10.6.7
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.