Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon 1 J3 with Standard Zoom and Telephoto Zoom Lenses
14-megapixel hybrid camera with interchangeable lens capability (Red)
Item #: 054J327649
This item is no longer available.
Nikon 1 J3 with Standard Zoom and Telephoto Zoom Lenses
Our take on the Nikon 1 J3 with Standard Zoom and Telephoto Zoom Lenses by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The Nikon 1 J3 features a built-in flash for times when you need a little extra light.
The moment preserver
The cake's been cut, the dances danced. The best man, feeling a little...exuberant, lip-synced to Justin Bieber, for goodness sake. And now that the garter and bouqet have both been bestowed, the happy couple are exiting the reception and heading for their streamer-festoooned car. Meantime, you've moved to the curb to capture their progress with your new Nikon 1 J3. The bride turns for one last smile and, without warning, catches her train hem with her shoe. In a flash, the groom steps in to catch her before she spills, and as she recovers, she beams and throws her arms around him. A hero moment if there ever was one. Hope you caught it there, ace.
Chances are, you did. The Nikon 1 J3 has so many ways to make sure you bring home the proverbial bacon. The much-lauded hybrid autofocus system is where we start, as it makes sure whatever you're following in your viewfinder will be sharp, vibrant and clear. From there, you can engage the smart photo selector, which fires off 20 lightning-quick shots with one shutter press, and delivers the best five for your review. Or choose the Slow View mode, which enables you to see what you're looking at in slow-motion on the LCD, and choose what instant you'd like to preserve for posterity.
A unique way of seeing things
And your choices aren't restricted to photo selection. The J3 shoots clear, colorful HD video as well, at up to 1080/60i. There are two high-speed slow-motion options (at reduced resolutions) that will help you examine the mechanics of your tennis serve, or turn ordinary things like crashing waves on the shore into Zen meditation masterpieces. A hybrid photo/video mode called Motion Snapshot matches your best short video clips and photos with built-in music to add resonance to the day's best moments. Add even more creative spark with the camera's built-in creative modes: See the world all in black and white — except for your husband's red sweater, for example.
The optional Nikon WU-1b wireless mobile adapter allows you to pair your camera with your compatible smartphone or tablet.
Share in minutes
Good friends unable to attend the festivities? With the optional Nikon WU-1b wireless mobile adapter, you'll be able to pair your camera with your smartphone or tablet and be sending off the best shots while the dancing's still underway. Plus, for those never-to-be-captured-again group shots, you can shout your positioning instructions while looking at the camera's monitor from your position in the second row, on your smartphone's screen — and fire the shutter, too. No more "where were you" questions.
It handles the details
With 14.2 megapixels under the hood, the Nikon 1 J3 shoots images that will stand up to close examination, aggressive cropping, and large-size prints. Plus, the camera performs well in low light, as it has a nicely extended sensitivity range, with ISOs up to 6400. An on-board flash adds even more flexibility to shooting nighttime events.
Sleek and sharp
All this power from a camera that fits neatly in your palm and fits discreetly in a purse. This version of the J3 comes two zoom lenses: a versatile 10-30mm VR (vibration reduction) standard zoom lens, and a telephoto zoom 30-110mm lens, making it possible to cover an 11X zoom range with one lens change. With equivalent lengths, respectively, of 27-81mm and 81-297mm, you can easily capture the aforementioned group shot, the couple's happy faces during the cutting of the cake, and the stealth candids of all the tearful friends from across the parking lot as they leave for the honeymoon. Remember, you can always change to other 1 Nikkor lenses for different creative options.
What's in the Box:
- Nikon 1 J3 digital camera body (red) with attached 1-mount body cap
- Red 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Red 1 NIKKOR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 lens
- Red HB-N103 lens hood
- 2 Red LC-N40.5 lens caps (attached to lenses)
- 2 Black 1-Mount rear lens caps (attached to lenses)
- EN-EL20 Lithium-Ion battery pack (7.2 Volts/1020 mAh) with attached plastic terminal cap
- MH-27 Battery charger
- Adjustable neck strap
- 5' USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- ViewNX2 Short Movie Creator software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- User's Manual (English)
- User's Manual (Spanish)
- Warranty Programs Form
- 2 Lens Warranty forms (5 Years of Protection)
- Note regarding the lens barrel button
- 14.2-megapixel effective recording
- Nikon CX CMOS image sensor (13.2 x 8.8 mm)
- includes Nikkor VRII 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens and Nikkor VRII 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens (respective 35mm equivalent focal lengths: 27-81mm and 81-297mm)
- very high-resolution 3" 921k-dot LCD screen with anti-glare coating for easy viewing outdoors
- optional Wi-Fi® capability with the available Nikon WU-1b module enables wireless file sharing and remote viewing/control options
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080i @ 60 frames per second, or 1080p @ 30 fps)
- EXPEED 3A image processor means fast data transfer rates for superior continuous shooting
- simultaneously capture full resolution pictures and HD video
- Smart Photo Selector chooses the best shots from a continuous series
- single-point autofocus has 135 areas; auto-area autofocus has 41 areas
- maintain razor-sharp autofocus while shooting 15 continuous frames per second
- built-in, pop-up flash
- wide ISO range for colorful, dynamic low-light performance
- simple, uncluttered control interface is powerful yet easy to understand
- smooth, snag-resistant metallic body
- warranty: 1 year, 5 years lenses (with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Nikkor Nikon-1 mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 15 frames per second with continuous autofocus
- shutter speed range: 30 secs. - 1/16,000 second, bulb, electronically controlled
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 160-6400
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flash compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
- 5 preset scene modes
- flash sync: up to 1/60 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine, Normal, and Basic), Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW), and Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- MPEG-4/H.264 movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 interlaced frames per second with stereo sound; up to 1200 frames per second slo-mo available at 320 x 120 pixels
- accepts optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-3/8"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-1/4"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 7.1 oz.
- supplied lens weight: 4.1 oz.
- 1 Nikkor VRII 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 mount lens
- 1 Nikkor VRII 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 mount lens
- body cap
- rechargeable EN-EL20 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM, manual, and reference manual CD
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27-81, 81-297mm|
|Effective Megapixel Count||14.2|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3072|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080/60i|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||14.9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Yr (5 Yrs Lens w/reg)|
|Labor Warranty||1 Yr (5 Yrs Lens w/reg)|
Nikon J3: The Nikon J3 is a compact, interchangeable lens camera that combines advanced functionality with a simple, intuitive design. It has the Nikon 1 mount, and is compatible with 1 Nikkor lenses. This Double Zoom kit includes the 10-30mm standard zoom lens and the 30-110mm telephoto zoom lens. Other available lenses include:
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Nikon J3 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 921,000 dots, an anti-glare coating, and a 7-level brightness adjustment. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The J3 features the newly developed Nikon CX-format super high-speed AF, 13.2mm x 8.8mm CMOS sensor. It has 15.13-million total pixels and 14.2-million effective pixels.
Included Lens: The J3 Double Zoom kit includes two lenses with the following specifications:
|1 Nikkor VR
|1 Nikkor VR
|Lens Type||Standard Zoom (3x)||Telephoto Zoom (3.6x)|
|Minimum Focal Distance||0.7' (8.4")||3.3'|
Recording Media: Images can be recorded onto SD (Secure Digital), SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards, including UHS-I Ultra High Speed cards. The camera can support SD cards from up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 8 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards from 48 GB to 64 GB. Cards with Class 6 or higher writing speeds are recommended for movie recording. Eye-Fi cards, which can transfer images and movies via Wi-Fi, are also compatible.
Image Quality: The J3 records still images in JPEG format at Fine (1:4), Normal (1:8), or Basic (1:16) compression. In addition, compressed 12-bit raw data from the image sensor can be saved directly to the memory card in NEF (RAW) format. The white balance, contrast, and other settings can be adjusted on a computer after shooting. If desired, the J3 can record two images simultaneously: one NEF (RAW) image and one fine-quality JPEG image.
Image Size: There are three image sizes to choose from when taking photos in the Still Image and Best Moment Capture modes:
- Large: 4608 x 3072
- Medium: 3456 x 2304
- Small: 2304 x 1536
Shooting Modes: The Nikon J3 has a top-mounted mode dial with only 5 shooting mode choices: Auto Photo Mode, Creative Mode, Movie Mode, Motion Snapshot Mode, and Smart Photo Selector Mode.
- Motion Snapshot: Each time the shutter is released the camera records a still image and about 1.6 seconds of movie footage. When the Motion Snapshot is played back, the movie plays back in slow motion over approximately 4 seconds, followed by the still image.
- Best Moment Capture: You can choose the moment to release the shutter as the scene plays back in slow motion (Slow View), or let the camera choose the best shot based on composition and motion (Smart Photo Selector).
- Auto: Let the camera pick the settings for photographs and movies.
- Creative: You can select from Programmed Auto, Aperture-priority Auto, Shutter-priority Auto, or Manual Exposure modes (P, S, A, M). In addition, you can use special effects or match settings to the scene you're shooting. Creative selections include: Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, Soft, Miniature Effect, and Selective Color.
- Advanced Movie: Choose the shutter speed and aperture for HD movies or shoot slow-motion movies.
Panoramic Images: In addition to standard images, you can take panoramic images while panning the camera horizontally or vertically. You can choose Normal or Wide Panorama in the following resolutions:
- Normal: Horizontal 4800 x 920, Vertical 1536 x 4800
- Wide: Horizontal 9600 x 920, Vertical 1536 x 9600
HD Movies: The Nikon J3 can record High Definition movies in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video compression with AAC audio). The camera has a separated, dedicated movie record button on the top panel. There are four movie record settings:
- 1080/60i: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 720/60p: 1280 x 720, 16 Mbps
- 720/30p: 1280 x 720, 12 Mbps
Still Images in Movie Mode: You can take still images while you are recording HD movies. The images are in 3:2 aspect ratio with a resolution of 4608 x 3072 or 1280 x 856.
Slow Motion Movies: You can record motion pictures at a high frame rate, which are played back as slow motion movies at 30p. No audio is recorded, and the aspect ratio is 8:3. There are two slow motion movie options:
|Option||Frame Size||Bit Rate||Maximum Length
|400 fps||640 x 240||2 Mbps||3 seconds||40 seconds|
|1200 fps||320 x 120||1 Mbps||3 seconds||2 minutes|
Smart Photo Selector Mode: The Smart Photo Selector mode keeps you from missing the picture-perfect moments. When you have composed the photo and press the shutter-release button halfway to focus, the camera begins taking rapid buffering photographs (at 30 fps). After the shutter-release button is pressed fully, the camera will compare shots recorded to the buffer both before and after the button was pressed. The best shot based on composition and motion, and four best shot candidates are copied to the memory card.
Release Modes: You can choose one of the following release modes:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous: The camera continuously records full resolution photos while the shutter release button is held down. You can select a frame rate of 5, 15, 30, or 60 fps. At 5 and 15 fps, the focus is set automatically with each shot. At 30 and 60 fps, the focus is locked on the first frame. The maximum number of shots that can be taken in a single burst is 20 at frame rates of 30 or 60 fps.
- Self-timer: You can use the self timer to reduce camera shake or for self portraits. The self timer will release the shutter 2, 5, or 10 seconds after the shutter-release button is pressed fully.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
|A6400 Auto (160-6400)||The camera adjusts ISO sensitivity in response to lighting conditions in the range given in brackets. Larger ranges give you increase sensitivity when lighting is poor; smaller ranges give you reduced noise.|
|A3200 Auto (160-3200)|
|A800 Auto (160-800)|
|160, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400||ISO sensitivity is fixed at the selected value.|
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, or Shade. You can also choose Preset Manual and set the white balance for the lighting conditions. When taking pictures underwater using an optional waterproof case (WP-N2), you can select the Underwater white balance setting.
Picture Control: You can choose how the camera processes photos through Picture Control. Preset Picture Controls include Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. The preset picture controls can be modified to suit the scene or your creative intent. Some Picture Control Settings include Quick Adjust, Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Filter Effects, and Toning. Edited Picture Controls can be saved as Custom Picture Controls.
Flash Modes: The J3 has a built-in pop-up flash with a range of 2 to 23 feet (Wide angle) and 2 feet to 13.8 feet (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto Flash, Auto + Red-eye Reduction, Fill Flash, Fill Flash + Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction, Red-eye Reduction + Slow Sync, Rear-curtain Sync, Rear Curtain + Slow Sync, and Off.
Optional Wireless Mobile Adapter: With the optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter you can copy images to your smartphone or tablet via Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n). In addition, you can control the camera from your mobile device. The smart device is required to run the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility app, available from the Apple App Store or Google Play. The WU-1b is compatible with Android 2.3 or later smartphones, Android 3.0 or later tablets, and iPhone and iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.
Playback Modes: During playback, you can view images one-at-a-time, or multiple thumbnail images of 4, 9, or 72. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. You can also view pictures taken on a selected date in a calendar format.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image to get a closer look at the detail. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Playback Menu: The Playback menu lets you display or edit your photos and movies. You can choose from the following options:
- Delete: Delete multiple images at once
- Slide Show: View a slide show of images on the memory card with numerous options for image type, date, scene, rating, face priority, frame interval, movie playback time, and audio.
- Image Review: Choose whether pictures are displayed after shooting.
- Rotate Tall: Automatically rotate "tall" portrait-oriented images for display in the camera monitor.
- DPOF Print Order: Create a digital print order for Pictbridge-compatible printers
- Protect: Protect pictures from accidental deletion
- Rating: Rate pictures from 0 to 5
- D-Lighting: Brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Resizing Pictures: Create a small copy of a recorded image.
- Cropping: Create a cropped copy of a recorded image.
- Edit Movie: Create copies of movies with unwanted footage removed.
Power Requirements: The J3 is powered by the supplied EN-EL20 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 220 shots, or approximately 45 minutes of HD footage (1080/60i). Using the supplied MH-27 battery charger, the EN-EL20 requires approximately 2 hours to charge. For longer periods of use, it is recommended to power the camera using the optional EH-5b AC adapter and EP-5C power connector (sold separately).
Auto Power Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Power Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 10 minutes.
HDMI Output: The J3 features a Type C mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to a TV for playback. If the camera is connected to a device that supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), you can control the camera with the device's remote control.
USB Output: The J3 has a Hi-Speed Mini-B USB 2.0 connector for connecting the camera to a computer or PictBridge-compatible printer. A 5' USB cable is included.
ViewNX2 / Short Movie Creator CD-ROM: The supplied CD-ROM contains the ViewNX2 software to copy (transfer) pictures from the camera to the computer and to perform other transfer-related functions. You can also crop pictures, make picture adjustments, and process/edit RAW images. The CD-ROM also includes the Short Movie Creator software which can create and edit short movies combining music, Motion Snapshots, movie footage, and photos taken in still image or Smart Photo Selector mode.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with Windows and Macintosh. Your computer should have one of the following Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
- Macintosh: OS X version 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.