Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sharing shouldn't mean not caring about photo quality
Don't settle for smartphone photos just because you want to share them quickly. With the Wi-Fi enabled Nikon Coolpix S5300, you can have your cake and eat it too. Let's say you're trying to document your child's first birthday for her grandparents who live too far away to be there. With Nikon's free app for Apple® and Android™, you can set up automatic image transfer to your smartphone or tablet as you snap each shot of your daughter making a mess with that first piece of birthday cake. Then it's easy to email them or post to Facebook without having to manually transfer images to your computer first.
Keep the grandparents happy
Worried that your photos will come out dark because your living room doesn't have much light? The S5300's 16-megapixel CMOS sensor excels at capturing bright shots, so Grandma and Grandpa won't complain about what a lousy photographer you are. You can also capture the proceedings in full-HD video, so the grandparents can relive every tear as crazy Uncle Al scares his niece with his over-the-top rendition of "Birthday" by the Beatles.
All babies are cute, but just in case...
With 8X optical zoom, the S5300's Nikkor glass lens offers a broad range of shooting options, from wide-angle shots of the partygoers to close-ups of the birthday girl's priceless expression as she realizes how delicious cake is. Other cool features include Best Shot Selector — it can quickly fire off multiple shots with a single push of the shutter button. That makes it easier to choose the perfect shot to tuck into your thank-you notes. Want even better portraits? Nikon's Smart Portrait and Glamour Retouch offer lots of opportunity for improvement, from fixing red-eye to touching up blemishes. Not that your toddler will require any retouching. I'm sure she's perfect in every way.
- 16-megapixel effective recording CMOS sensor
- 8X optical zoom (up to 4X digital zoom)
- 3" LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-200mm
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless image transfer to smartphones and tablets (requires free Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility app for Apple and Android)
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- scene auto selector automatically optimizes camera settings for your shooting environment
- optical image stabilization reduces blur from shaky hands
- Dynamic Fine Zoom combines optical and precision digital zoom for up to 16X zoom with minimal image degradation
- Best Shot Selector snaps several quick shots with a single press of the shutter button, so you can choose the best photo
- face priority autofocus and blink alert for better portraits
- smile mode automatically snaps the shutter when the camera detects a smiling subject
- Glamour Retouch offers skin softening, red-eye fix, and teeth whitening for improving portraits
- 18 scene modes include Dusk/Dawn, Easy Panorama, and Beach
- Motion Detection recognizes fast motion and automatically increases shutter speed and sensitivity (ISO) for sharper photos
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 4"W x 2-3/8"H x 7/8"D
- weight: 4.9 ounces
- rechargeable lithium ion battery and charging station
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Today's point-and-shoot cameras make great pictures easier than ever
From baby's first steps, to that dream vacation in the islands, these cameras make it easy to capture life's greatest hits. Today's cameras have helpful automatic features, like face detection and scene recognition that make shooting more foolproof than ever. And they all have plenty of megapixels for detailed photos that stay sharp, even when you enlarge and print them.
Nikon Coolpix S5300 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great looking camera. Similar functions to my Casio which is a few years older. I'm rating this four star because there was no camera case included and I haven't really tried it out except for 5 or 6 photos on Christmas day.
Pros: Easy to use and great looking. Nice display.
Cons: No camera case.
this was the best shopping place I ever had dealing with little woul
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Your the best
Pros: Great no other place but here to purchase
Cons: There's none
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Pros: Wifi feature
What's in the box?
- Digital camera (plum)
- EN-EL19 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 700mAh 2.6Wh) in a plastic case
- EH-71P AC adapter (5V 1A)
- 36" UC-E21 USB cable (Type A USB on one end and a Micro USB on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Quick Start Guide (En Sp Fr)
- Warranty Programs sheet
- Important Safety Instructions (for AC adapter)
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-200mm|
|Internal Memory||25 MB|
|Effective Megapixel Count||16|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||4.9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S5300 allows you to create beautiful photos and Full HD videos and instantly share them right from your camera using the built-in Wi-Fi. The S5300 has a sharp 8x optical zoom lens and super low-light performance.
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix S5300 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor, featuring approximately 460,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The monitor has a 97% horizontal and vertical frame coverage for shooting and and 99% coverage for playback. You can adjust the brightness of the monitor from -2 to +2.
Note: There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S5300 features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 16.76-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 16.0-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S5300 uses a 8x NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.5-36mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 25-200mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 32x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 800mm lens (35mm format).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (compliant with 802.11b/g/n) with a range of approximately 33 feet, and a data rate of up to 20 Mbps. The camera's Wi-Fi capability can be used with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad (running iOS 6.0 or later), or smart devices running on the Android operating system (ver.2.3 and up). The Wireless Mobile Utility application must be installed on the device. While the camera is connected to the smart device, you can take pictures remotely, download pictures as they are taken, view and/or download existing pictures on the camera, and share pictures via email or upload them to photo-sharing sites.
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S5300 offers Vibration Reduction (VR) to reduce blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. The camera uses the lens-shift method of Vibration Reduction when shooting still images, and a combination of lens-shift and electronic Vibration Reduction when recording movies.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S5300 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S5300 has a built-in 25MB internal memory for saving a few test images.
File Formats: The Coolpix S5300 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in MOV format (Video: H.264; Audio: LPCM stereo). You have a choice of eight still image size options and eight movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M (high image quality): 4608 x 3456 (1:4 compression)
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (1:8)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448 (1:8)
- 4M: 2272 x 1704 (1:8)
- 2M: 1600 x 1200 (1:8)
- VGA: 640 x 480 (1:8)
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592 (1:8)
- 1:1: 3456 x 3456 (1:8)
- 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
- 1080/60i: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
- 720/30p: 1280 x 720 (16:9)
- iFrame 720/30p: 1280 x 720 (16:9)
- 480/30p: 640 x 480 (4:3)
- HS Movies:
- HS 480/4x: 640 x 480; 1/4x speed playback (record up to 10 sec; playback 40 sec)
- HS 720/2x: 1280 x 720; 1/2x speed playback (record up to 30 sec; playback 1 min)
- HS 1080/0.5x: 1920 x 1080; 2x speed playback (record up to 2 min; playback 1 min)
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's Menu, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto: Used for general photography; allows you to adjust a variety of settings to suit the conditions.
- Scene Auto Selector: The camera automatically selects the optimum scene mode: Portrait (1-2 people), Portrait (3 or more people), Landscape, Night Portrait (1-2 people), Night Portrait (3 or more people), Night landscape, Close-up, Backlighting (subjects other than people), Backlighting (for portraits), and Other Scenes.
- Scene: You can manually select a scene with settings optimized for that type of scene: Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait, Party/indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Night landscape, Close-up, Food, Museum, Fireworks show, Black & White Copy, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, and Pet portrait.
- Special Effects: You can apply the following effects to images during shooting: Soft, Nostalgic Sepia, High-contrast monochrome, High key, Low key, Selective color, Pop, Super Vivid, Painting, Toy Camera effect (1 & 2), Cross Process, and Mirror.
- Smart Portrait: Camera detects human faces and automatically releases the shutter when they smile. A skin softening option makes faces smoother.
Continuous Shooting: You can take photos one image at a time, or multiple images in a continuous fashion while the shutter button is pressed and held. There are several options for continuous shooting:
- Continuous H: Records a maximum of 7 full resolution images at a rate of about 8.6 frames per second.
- Continuous L: Records a maximum of 7 full resolution images at a rate of about 2 frames per second.
- Pre-shooting Cache: To help avoid missing the shot, a series of photos are recorded at 11 fps while the shutter release is pressed halfway. When the button is pressed the rest of the way, the camera saves a maximum of 5 images, including the current image and two frames captured in the pre-shooting cache.
- Continuous H 120: Each time the shutter release is pressed, images are captured at a high rate of speed (about 120 fps). A maximum of 50 VGA-sized images (640 x 480) are saved.
- Continuous H 60: Each time the shutter release is pressed, images are captured at a high rate of speed (about 60 fps). A maximum of 25 images (1280 x 960) are saved.
- Best Shot Selector: While the shutter release is held down, the camera captures up to 10 images and automatically saves the sharpest image.
- Multi-shot 16: Each time the shutter button is pressed, the camera captures a series of 16 images and saves them as a single image. Frame rate is 30 fps, and the image is fixed at 2560 x 1920.
Color Options: You can record images in vivid color or save them in monochrome. Color options include: Standard color, Vivid Color, Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10-second self-timer for self-portraits or a 2-second to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button.
Flash: The built-in flash has a range of 1'-8" to 11' (Wide angle) and 5' to 6'-6" (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto, Auto (with Red-eye reduction), Fill Flash, Slow Sync, and Off.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 4, 9, or 16 images. You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include: Quick Retouch, D-Lighting, Red-eye Correction, Glamour Retouch, Print Order, Slide Show, Protect, Rotate Image, Small Picture, Voice Memo, Copy (between internal memory and memory card), Sequence Display Options, Choose Key Picture, Favorite Pictures, and Remove from Favorites.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S5300 is powered by the supplied EN-EL19 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V, 700mAh, 2.6Wh). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-71P AC adapter and UC-E21 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 180 shots or 35-40 minutes of HD movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 1 hour 50 minutes, using the AC adapter and 3 hours when charging while connected to a computer.
Power Saving Function: When the camera is operated on battery power, after several minutes of no operations, the monitor turns off and the camera enters the Standby mode. The Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes.
HDMI: The Coolpix S5300 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV for still image and movie playback. The image resolution of the HDMI output can be set to Auto, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. When connected to an HDMI-CEC-compatible TV, the camera can be controlled during playback with the TV's remote control.
Micro USB: The camera features a Micro USB connector for connecting the supplied UC-E21 USB cable. The Micro USB port is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible, and is used for downloading your photos to your computer or connecting to a PictBridge-compatible printer. It is also used for charging the battery inside the camera using the supplied EH-71P AC adapter.
ViewNX2: The Nikon S5300 comes with no software in the package. Nikon ViewNX 2 can be downloaded from the Internet. It contains the following applications:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
System Requirements: Nikon ViewNX 2 software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows XP (SP3)
- MAC: OS X 10.7.5, 10.8.5, 10.9
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff May 15, 2014 ] Staff