Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon's Coolpix S6000 is a great everyday camera use it to capture clear images of daffodils at park on a sunny day and to take indoor photos at a family party later that night. This camera offers a sleek, slim metal design and a 7X optical zoom lens. This camera's 14.2-megapixel image sensor ensures razor-sharp, detailed photos with plenty of resolution to make stunning enlargements. And optical image stabilization with vibration reduction compensates for camera movement, so you get clear, rock-steady results.
People-friendly photo settings
This camera's intelligent features help you get great photos of your favorite folks. The S6000 recognizes and automatically focuses on the faces in your shots, and can smooth out uneven skin tones for a flattering look. It even alerts you if one of your friends blinks while you shoot, so you can try again. And in-camera editing functions let you correct the red-eye effect and brighten dark shadows before you print your photos.
HD movie recording and easy playback on your HDTV
The S6000 also lets you record high-definition video clips when you prefer to capture a moment with movies instead of photos. And when you're ready to view your pictures and videos, a mini HDMI output lets you show them on your compatible HDTV (mini HDMI cable sold separately).
The camera's built-in 32MB memory holds only about eight photos at top resolution add optional SD memory cards for more storage.
- 14.2-megapixel effective recording
- 7X optical zoom (2X digital zoom)
- optical image stabilization with vibration reduction
- 2-11/16" LCD screen
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 28-196mm
- top JPEG resolution: 4320 x 3240
- continuous sports mode for shooting at 4 frames per second (at 3-megapixel photo resolution)
- face priority autofocus for better portraits
- smile shutter and blink alert for capturing ideal expressions
- in-camera automatic red-eye correction
- D-Lighting mode brightens dark areas of recorded images
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- built-in flash
- white balance compensation settings
- 32MB internal memory stores approximately 8 shots at top resolution
- compatible with SD and SDHC cards
- high-speed USB interface
- compatible with PictBridge-enabled printers
- 3-15/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 1"D
- weight (with battery and media): 5.5 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- AC adapter
- audio/video and USB cables
- software CD-ROM
Ultra-slim cameras are "good to go"
The best type of camera is the one you actually have on hand when photo-worthy moments come along. At less than an inch thick, these tiny cameras fit in a pocket or handbag, so it's easy to take them with you just about anywhere. Capture memories with ease, from a night out with friends to a little leaguer's home run swing. Today's compact point-and-shoot cameras take sharp, detailed pictures, and some let you record high-def videos, too.
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Nice camera ,, takes really good pictures, easy to use. Not to many buttons and
they are not too close together. Only reason it doesn't have five stars is
because they program to upload pictures is not the best. But, the camera itself
is worth the money to buy.
great little camera
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I bought this camera because it had buttons on it which I needed cause i used it to take
pictures while skiing in the mountains. it is worth every penny i shot some video while skiing
and was impressed best feature is battery life my cannon always seemed to die when i
went skiing but this camera has been a perfect purchase.
Pretty good camera
Good price, so far so good, takes a very nice photo and is simple to operate.
Couldn't Be Happier
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This digital camera is GREAT! After submerging myself in digital point & shoot camera
reviews (for about two months), then physically checking them out at a local store, I made the
perfect choice with the Nikon Coolpix S6000. Then went online and purchased from
Crutchfield, with the best price around. Controls seem intuitive and easy to learn, and I love
that the zoom "ring" surrounds the shutter button. Not separated like the Canon models.
Picture quality is excellent. With 14.2 megapixels and 7x optical zoom, this camera is easily
worth double the price. Bought a Case Crown deep red carrying case to match the camera,
and couldn't be happier.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great camera~~ so glad I purchased it. Wanted this particular color (tired of having a silver one) and Crutchfield had it in stock. Very easy to use, nice and compact, many features...great for the novice photographer. Dallas was extremely helpful with the ordering process... I didn't think about the memory card and he asked if I wanted to purchase one. The price was right and I got my camera 2 days after placing the order~~ it was the first thing I packed for my Christmas trip to Chicago. Thank you for saving me money and time~~ you made my Christmas merrier!!
I highly recommend Crutchfield to anybody who is making an Electronics purchase!
Very Happy So Far
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I've had this camera for almost two weeks and have been very happy with it so far. The pictures I have taken came out very sharp and colorful. The speed of the camera is also really nice previously coming from a Nikon S550. I've been pretty happy with the video quality so far. It does lose some if its quality when you zoom in on objects, but I guess that is sort of expected. The stereo sound quality is also very good. It handles deep bass and loud cars fairly well. (I have some examples on YouTube if anyone is interested; search for Nikon S6000 Sound Quality) At first I was not able to edit any of the video I took with Windows Movie Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker, but downloading Format Factory (free download, google it) fixed that problem and I haven't had any issues importing media into the programs. Overall I'm very happy and can't wait to get out and take some more pictures!
What's in the box?
- Digital camera (champagne silver)
- EN-EL12 Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V/1050mAh) with plastic terminal cover
- EH-68P AC adapter (DC output: 5V / 0.5A)
- 5' USB cable with a USB type-A connector on one end and a proprietary connector on other end
- 5' AV cable with a composite video/mono audio RCA connector on one end and a proprietary connector on other end
- Wrist strap
- Nikon Software Suite CD-ROM
- User's Manual (English)
- User's Manual (Spanish)
- Quick Start Guide (English)
- Quick Start Guide (Spanish)
- Nikon Digital Imaging Limited Warranty information
- Online Registration sheet
- "my Picturetown.com" sheet
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||2.7"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-196mm|
|Effective Megapixel Count||14.2|
|Highest Resolution||4320 x 3240|
|HD Video Recording||Yes|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5.5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Monitor: The Nikon Coolpix S6000 has a 2.7" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 230,000 pixels, an anti-reflective coating and a five-level brightness adjustment. The LCD monitor's wide-angle viewing area makes it easy to see and use. The LCD monitor has approximately 100% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
14.48 Megapixels CCD With EXPEED Engine: The Coolpix S6000 features a 1/2.3", high-density CCD imager with a total pixel count of approximately 14.48-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 14.2-million. The EXPEED Image Processing engine delivers high-quality, natural-looking pictures with stunning color and sharpness.
Optics: The Coolpix S6000 digital camera uses a Zoom-Nikkor glass lens for superb image quality. Every aspect of the lens manufacturing process is controlled by Nikon. The Zoom-Nikkor lens is designed for the specific camera and CCD combination. The Coolpix S6000 uses a 7x optical zoom, that is equivalent to a 28-196mm lens in 35mm photography.
4-Way VR (Vibration Reduction) Stabilization: The Nikon Coolpix S6000 offers a 4-Way Vibration Reduction (VR) Stabilization System:
- Optical VR Image Stabilization: Nikon's Optical VR Image Stabilization uses lens shifting to compensate for the effects of camera shake. This produces clearer, sharper results in lower lighting or unsteady conditions.
- Motion Detection: Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts the shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for camera shake and subject movement.
- High ISO 3200: High ISO up to 3200 capability gives you sharper results when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects. This creates new opportunities to take sharper, more natural-looking photos in lower light conditions.
- Best Shot Selector (BSS): Nikon's Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to 10 shots while the shutter is pressed and then saves the sharpest image.
Built-in Memory: The camera has a built-in 32 MB internal memory for storing still images and movies with sound.
Recording Media: In addition to the built-in memory, images can be recorded onto SD (Secure Digital) or SDHC Memory cards. When an SD Memory card is inserted in the camera, the images are automatically recorded onto the card. When no card is inserted, the images automatically record to the internal memory. The camera can support 2 GB SD cards, and SDHC cards from 4 GB to 32 GB.
Image Size: The Coolpix S6000 records still images in JPEG format, and movies in MOV video format (video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, audio: AAC stereo). You have a choice of eight still image size options and three movie options:
|Number of Storable Images (approx.)|
4320 x 3240
3264 x 2448
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1024 x 768
640 x 480
4224 x 2376
1280 x 720
|8.1 Mbps||29 sec||60 min|
640 x 480
|2.8 Mbps||1 min 27 sec||3 hours|
320 x 240
|820 kbps||5 min 7 sec||10 hours|
Shooting Modes: You can choose one of the following shooting modes:
- Auto Mode: A "point-and-shoot" mode with some user adjustments in brightness, hue, and vividness. Continuous shooting is also available in this mode.
- Scene Mode: You can manually or automatically select a
scene mode with settings optimized for the shooting situation:
- Scene Auto Selector: The camera automatically judges the type of subject (scene mode) when you frame the picture so that you can more easily take a picture suited for the scene. The mode will automatically be changed to one of the following scene modes: Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Close-up, and Back Light.
- Portrait: Useful for photographs where you want the main subject to stand out clearly from the background.
- Landscape: For vivid landscape shots that enhance outlines, colors, and contrast in such subjects as forests and skyscrapers.
- Night Portrait: For shots that provide natural balance between the main subject and the background when shooting portraits under low lighting.
- Party/Indoor: Shots include details of the background behind the main subject, or to capture the effects of candlelight and other indoor background lighting.
- Beach/Snow: Vividly captures the brightness of subjects such as snow fields, beaches or sunlit expanses of water.
- Sunset: Preserves deep hues seen in sunsets and sunrises.
- Dusk/Dawn: Preserves the colors seen in the weak natural light before sunrise and after sunset.
- Night Landscape: A slow shutter speed is used to produce stunning night landscapes.
- Close Up: Used to capture vivid colors in close-up shots of flowers, insects and other small objects, with the background artistically blurred.
- Food: Used when shooting cuisines.
- Museum: Use indoors where flash photography is prohibited or in other settings in which you do not want to use flash.
- Fireworks Show: Slow shutter speeds are used to capture the expanding burst of light from fireworks.
- Copy: Provides clear pictures of text or drawings on a white board, business card or in other printed matter.
- Back Light: Use when light is coming from behind your subject or when your subject is in the shade but the background is brightly lit.
- Panorama Assist: Use to take a series of photographs that you will later join to form a single panoramic scene.
- Smart Portrait: Using face priority to recognize human faces, the shutter is automatically released when a smile is detected. Skin softening can be used to make skin tones smoother.
- Subject Tracking: Suited to focus and take pictures of moving subjects.
Continuous Shooting: You can set the camera to take one picture at a time or multiple images by selecting one of the following options:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous: While the shutter-release button is held down, up to 10 pictures are taken at a rate of about 0.7 frames per second (fps) when image mode is set to 14M (4320 x 3240).
- Best Shot Selector: The BSS is recommended for situations in which inadvertent camera movement can produce blurred pictures, or when parts of the image are prone to under- or over-exposure. When BSS is on, the camera takes shots while the shutter-release button is pressed, to a maximum of ten. The images are compared and the sharpest picture is saved to the memory or memory card.
- Multi-Shot 16: Each time the shutter release button is pressed, the camera takes 16 consecutive "thumbnail" images at a rate of about 30 frames per second, and arranges them into a single image, measuring 5M: 2560 x 1920 pixels.
- Sport Continuous Mode: The Sport Continuous Mode allows rapid continuous shooting while you press and hold down the camera's shutter-release button. Up to 45 pictures are taken continuously at a rate of about 3 fps. Shooting ends when the shutter release button is released or 45 pictures have been taken. The image mode is fixed at 3M: 2048 x 1536.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second and 2 second timer for self-portraits.
AF Area Mode: You can select between the following AF Area Modes to determine where the camera focuses.
- Auto: The camera automatically selects the focus area (up to 9) containing the subject closest to the camera.
- Manual: You can manually select from 99 focus areas in the frame. Pictures can be taken while focus area selection screen is displayed.
- Center: The camera focuses on the subject in the center of the frame.
- Face Priority: When the camera recognizes a face (front view only), the camera will focus on the face automatically. The camera can recognize up to 3 or 12 faces depending on shooting and exposure mode.
Macro Mode: Macro mode is used for taking pictures of objects as close as 0.4". The flash may be unable to light entire subject at distances less than 1 feet 8 inches.
Focus Lock: The Focus Lock feature is used to focus on off-centered subjects in the frame while shooting in Center AF mode.
AF-Assist Illuminator: If lighting is poor, the AF-assist illuminator may light to assist the focus operation when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway. The illuminator has a range of about 9 ft 10 in at the maximum wide-angle position and 7 ft 10 in at the maximum telephoto position. You can turn this function on or off.
Blink Warning Function: The Blink Warning function is available when you are shooting in Face Priority mode. When the camera detects that one or more human subjects may have blinked, the blink warning screen is displayed. The subject is framed by a yellow border, allowing you to check the picture and decide whether or not to take another picture.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 steps.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
- Auto: Sensitivity is set to ISO 100 when there is sufficient lighting, and raises the sensitivity to a maximum of ISO 1600 when lighting is dim.
- Fixed Range Auto: Select from two ranges in which the camera automatically sets the sensitivity: ISO 100-400 or ISO 100-800
- Manual: Sensitivity is locked at the set value: ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, or 3200
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, or Flash. You can also choose Preset White Balance and use a neutral-colored object as a reference to set the white balance under unusual lighting conditions.
Built-in Flash: The Coolpix S6000 has a built-in Speedlite flash with a range of 1'-8" to16.0 feet (Wide angle) and 3'-7" to 11' (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: Flash fires automatically when lighting is poor.
- Auto with Red-eye Reduction: Pre-flash fires before main flash to reduce red-eye effect.
- Flash Off: Flash will not fire, even when lighting is poor.
- Fill Flash: Flash will fire whenever a picture is taken.
- Slow Sync: Auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds.
In-Camera Red-Eye Fix: If the camera detects red-eye after the pre-flash has fired, advanced red-eye reduction processing is used to further reduce red-eye, slightly increasing the time required before the next picture can be taken.
Movie AF Modes: When shooting movies you can choose between two auto-focus modes:
- Single AF: The camera focuses when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway and locks at this position during recording.
- Full-time AF: The camera constantly adjusts focus, even when the shutter-release button is not pressed.
Voice Recording: Audio voice memos for pictures can be recorded over the camera's built-in microphone and played back over the unit's built-in speaker. Memos can be up to 20 seconds in length.
Auto Sort Mode: Pictures and movies will automatically be sorted in any of the following folder names after shooting them for convenient playback: Smile, Portraits, Food, Landscape, Dusk to Dawn, Close-Ups, Movie, Retouched Copies, Other Scenes.
Copy: You can internally copy images and voice recordings between the camera's internal memory and an inserted SD-card.
Slide Show Playback: View pictures in the internal memory or on the memory card in an automatic slide show with 2, 3, 5, or 10 seconds between pictures. If desired, you can loop the slideshow so it will continuously play. Maximum slide show duration is 30 minutes without operation.
Thumbnail Playback: During playback, you can view multiple thumbnail images (4, 9, or 16) at a time. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. Highlighted pictures can be deleted, if desired.
Calendar Display: This feature displays a calendar allowing you to select and view pictures taken on the same date.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image up to 10x. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Rotate Image: Recorded pictures can be rotated 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise on the unit's LCD screen.
Editing Picture: You can use the Coolpix S6000 to edit recorded pictures in-camera and store them as separate files. You can choose from the following editing functions.
- Quick Retouch: Quick Retouch can be used to easily create retouched copies in which contrast and saturation have been enhanced.
- D-Lighting: D-Lighting can be used to brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Skin Softening: The camera recognizes faces in pictures and creates a copy with softer facial skin tones.
- Resizing Pictures (Small Picture): You can create a small copy of a recorded image. The copy will be stored as a JPEG file with a compression ratio of 1:16. You can choose from the following sizes: 640 x 480 (suited to television playback), 320 x 240 (suited to display on web pages), or 160 x 120 (suitable for email attachments).
- Cropping: Create a copy containing only the portion visible in the monitor.
Multi-Language Menu: You can choose from 24 different menu display languages including English, Spanish or French.
Printing Pictures: You can print pictures stored in the internal memory or on the memory card by using the Print Set option in the playback menu. Using DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), you can designate which images to print, and how many copies to print. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: insert the memory card into a printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab (images stored in the internal memory need to be transferred to a memory card prior to printing).
- PictBridge-compatible Printer: connect the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer via USB cable
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them via USB
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S6000 is powered by a supplied rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (EN-EL12). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-68P AC adapter and UC-E6 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 210 shots on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 4 hours.
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
USB/Audio-Video Output: The Coolpix S6000 features a single proprietary jack on the bottom of the camera for connecting the supplied AV or USB cable. This one output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or view your photos on a TV using the supplied AV cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The video output is NTSC or PAL compatible.
HDMI Output: The S6000 has a mini-HDMI (Type C) output for connecting the camera to a high-definition TV. An HDMI-to-mini-HDMI cable (not included) is required for connecting the camera to the HDTV. You can set the picture resolution to Auto, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
Software Suite CD-ROM: The supplied Software Suite CD-ROM contains Nikon Transfer, ViewNX, and Panorama Maker. Nikon Transfer is used to copy (transfer) pictures from the camera to the computer and ViewNX is used for viewing your images and movies on the computer. Panorama Maker is used for creating panorama images from the camera's recorded still images.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with Windows and Macintosh. You computer will need to meet the following system requirements.
|CPU||Intel Celeron, Pentium 4, or Intel Core series processor with a clock speed of 1 GHz or faster recommended||PowerPC G4 or G5 model or Intel Core or Intel Xeon (Universal Binary) model with built-in USB or FireWire port required|
|MAC OS X Versions:
||256 MB or more with a minimum of 128 MB free|
|Hard Disk Space||60 MB required for installation;
1 GB required when Nikon Transfer is running
|60 MB required for installation;
1 GB required when Nikon Transfer is running
|Video Resolution||800 x 600 pixels or more (1,024 x 768 or greater recommended) with 16-bit color (High Color) or more||800 x 600 pixels or more (1,024 x 768 or greater recommended) with 24-bit color (millions of colors) or more|
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.