Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Coolpix S9500 features powerful 22X optical zoom in a compact body. (Silver model show)
Long-range zoom that's easy to take anywhere
That's a lot of lens for such a small camera. The Nikon Coolpix S9500 is the perfect marriage between powerful zoom and compact design. Where most compact cameras run out of zoom, the S9500 keeps going, getting you closer and closer to your subjects. Image quality is no afterthought with this impressive little camera. The 18.1-megapixel CMOS sensor is extremely light-sensitive, letting you capture highly detailed, low-noise photos even when lighting is poor. Though the S9500 has a built-in flash, you may be surprised how little you need it.
Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
Put away those cables and start sharing photos wirelessly with the S9500's built-in Wi-Fi. Just download Nikon's mobile app to your Apple® or Android™> smartphone or tablet, and instantly send photos to your device for emailing to friends or uploading to sites like Facebook and Twitter. Want to share a photo but can't remember where you took it? The S9500's on-board GPS tags all your images with location information, so you'll always know the name of that river or town. Plus, built-in mapping and e-compass features can help you navigate unfamiliar territory or find points of interest like historic landmarks and scenic views.
Check your work on a bright OLED screen
That's not your typical display on the back of the S9500. It's a 3" OLED screen, giving you a clear, detailed look at your subject as you line up shots. It's also great for checking out photos and videos after you shoot them. There are five brightness levels, so you're assured a clear view even in harsh midday sunlight.
- 18.1-megapixel effective recording CMOS sensor
- 22X optical zoom (up to 4X digital zoom)
- 3" OLED screen (614,000 dots)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-550mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless sharing and uploading of photos with a smartphone
- built-in GPS tags your photos with location information
- built-in mapping and electronic compass help you locate destinations and points of interest
- OLED screen with adjustable brightness gives you a clear view of photos and video
- optical image stabilization with vibration reduction for blur-free photos and video
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- Smart Portrait system with face priority auto focus, skin softening, and blink warning for better portraits
- easy panorama mode stitches photos together for a 360° or 180° view
- Subject Tracking auto focus helps you stay locked on subjects as they move
- Motion Detection automatically recognizes fast-moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and sensitivity
- continuous shooting captures up to 5 shots at 7.5 frames per second at full resolution
- 19 scene modes including 3D Photography, Easy Panorama, and Beach
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- USB port and A/V output
- 4-7/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-1/4"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 7.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable battery and AC charging adapter
- USB and A/V cables
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Today's point-and-shoot cameras make great pictures easier than ever
From baby's first steps, to that dream vacation in the islands, these cameras make it easy to capture life's greatest hits. Today's cameras have helpful automatic features, like face detection and scene recognition that make shooting more foolproof than ever. And they all have plenty of megapixels for detailed photos that stay sharp, even when you enlarge and print them.
Nikon Coolpix S9500 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
I bought this camera specifically for the 22X zoom as I was going on a wildlife trip. The zoom is sub-par, pretty much blurring after about half way zoom, shaking and unfocused. The flash pops up at just the place where one normally places their fingers while holding the camera. Maybe worth the current price but not worth the brand new price I paid when it was released. Very disappointed. Back to Sony.
Pros: I dunno
Cons: Crap zoom, bad positioning of Flash
Canon Coolpix S9500
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Very easy to use..great pictures.
Pros: Screen is nice and big
Perfect point&shot camera
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Very good camera with a lot of features-GPS, Wi-Fi, huge 18x zoom, 3D and panorama pictures, optical shake reduction, HD movie and much much more. Highly recommend this camera
Pros: Fast focus, zoom
Terrific feature-heavy point and shoot. Powerful zoom coupled with Continuous Mode snaps multiple pics at any distance to capture the best faces or figures on moving targets - like kids at a birthday party. It worked well right out of the box (including the WiFi transfer to mobile devices), and has a multitude of great features that will take time to learn. The Nikon View NX2 software is easy to use and great for managing and uploading pics to a computer. I am very pleased with the S9500 and recommend it highly.
What's in the box?
- Digital camera (red)
- EN-EL12 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 1050mAh 3.9Wh)
- EH-70P AC adapter (DC output: 5V 0.55A)
- 59" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary USB connector on other end)
- 48" AV cable (proprietary connector on one end and composite video and stereo audio RCA plugs on other end)
- Wrist strap
- ViewNX2 software CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (Eng Fr Sp)
- Quick Start Guide (Port)
- Warranty Programs sheet
- Manual corrections sheet
- Important Safety Instructions (for AC adapter)
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-550mm|
|Internal Memory||23 MB|
|Effective Megapixel Count||18.1|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Highest Resolution||4896 x 3672|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||7.3|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S9500 allows you to create beautiful photos and Full HD videos and instantly share them right from your camera using the built-in Wi-Fi. The camera also has a built-in GPS receiver, which can record location data with every photo and video you take, so you can see on a map exactly where you've been.
3.0" OLED Monitor: The Coolpix S9500 has a 3.0" OLED monitor, featuring approximately 614,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The monitor has a 98% horizontal and vertical frame coverage for shooting and 100% for playback. You can adjust the brightness of the monitor from -2 to +2.
Note: There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S9500 features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 18.91-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 18.1-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S9500 uses a 22x NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.5-99mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 25-550mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 88x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 2200mm lens (35mm format).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (compliant with 802.11b/g/n) with a range of approximately 32 yards, and a data rate of up to 12 Mbps. The camera's Wi-Fi capability can be used with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, or smart devices running on the Android operating system. The Wireless Mobile Utility application must be installed on the device. When you are connected to a wireless LAN, you can take your photos and videos and email them to friends, post them on Facebook, upload them to my Picturetown, or wirelessly transfer them to your laptop. Once you have backed up your memory card contents to your computer, you can delete them and resume shooting right away.
Global Positioning System (GPS): The Coolpix S9500 is equipped with a GPS receiver, which, when enabled, encodes time and positioning data into your photos. All your image and movie files are geotagged, providing a visual travelogue that pinpoints the places you have been. These files can be integrated with Nikon's my Picturetown photo sharing site, Google Earth, and Nikon ViewNX2 software (supplied) to display maps showing where the photo was taken.
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S9500 offers Vibration Reduction (VR) to reduce blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. For still images, there are three options: Standard VR (using the lens shift method), Hybrid VR (combining lens shift and electronic VR), or Off. For movies, you can use Standard (lens shift) VR or turn it off.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S9500 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S9500 has a built-in 23MB internal memory for saving images.
File Formats: The Coolpix S9500 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in MOV format (Video: H.264; Audio: AAC stereo). You have a choice of seven still image size options and nine movie options:
- Still Images:
- 18M (high image quality): 4896 x 3672 (1:4 compression)
- 18M: 4896 x 3672 (1:8)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448 (1:8)
- 4M: 2272 x 1704 (1:8)
- 2M: 1600 x 1200 (1:8)
- VGA: 640 x 480 (1:8)
- 16:9 12M: 4896 x 2736 (1:8)
- HD 1080p 1920 x 1080/30p: Bit Rate: 15 Mbps
- HD 1080p 1920 x 1080/30p: Bit Rate: 12 Mbps
- HD 720p 1280 x 720/30p: Bit Rate: 9 Mbps
- iFrame 540 960 x 540/30p: Bit Rate: 24 Mbps
- VGA 640 x 480/30p: Bit Rate: 6 Mbps
- HS Movies:
- HS 240/8x: 1/8x speed playback (record up to 10 sec; playback 80 sec)
- HS 480/4x: 1/4x speed playback (record up to 15 sec; playback 60 sec)
- HS 720/2x: 1/2x speed playback (record up to 30 sec; playback 1 min)
- HS 1080/0.5x: 2x speed playback (record up to 2 min; playback 1 min)
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's top-mounted Mode Dial, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto: Used for general photography; allows you to adjust a variety of settings to suit the conditions.
- Scene Modes: There are separate mode dial positions for
these Scene Modes:
- Scene Auto Selector: When you frame a picture, the camera automatically selects the optimum scene for simpler shooting.
- Scene: You can select a scene with settings optimized for that type of scene: , Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Party/indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Close-up, Food, Museum, Fireworks show, Black & White Copy, Easy Panorama, Pet portrait and 3D Photography.
- Night Landscape: Optimizes settings for shooting wide angle landscapes at night. You can choose Hand-held and Tripod sub-settings depending upon the situation.
- Night Portrait: Optimizes settings for shooting portraits of people at night. You can choose Hand-held and Tripod sub-settings depending upon the situation.
- Backlighting: Optimizes settings for shooting images with strong backlighting. You can enable HDR (high dynamic range) if there are very bright and dark areas in the same frame.
- Smart Portrait: Camera detects human faces and automatically releases the shutter when they smile. A skin softening option makes faces smoother.
- Special Effects: You can apply the following effects to images during shooting: Soft, Nostalgic Sepia, High-contrast monochrome, High key, Low key, Selective color
3D Photography: With 3D Photography (in the Scene Shooting Mode), the camera captures one image for each eye to simulate a three-dimensional image on a 3D-compatible TV or monitor. After taking the first image, you can move the camera horizontally to align the subject with the guide in the monitor. The camera takes the second image automatically when it detects that they are aligned. 3D images are saved in the MPO format.
Continuous Shooting: In addition to single frame shooting, the S9500 can shoot continuously at multiple speeds while the shutter release is pressed and held:
- Continuous H: Up to 5 pictures are continuously shot at a rate of 7.5 fps.
- Continuous L: Up to 31 pictures are continuously shot at a rate of 1.9 fps.
- Pre-shooting Cache: To prevent missing the perfect moment, the camera begins saving images when the shutter release is pressed halfway, then shoot continuously from the time the button is pressed until the time it is released. Up to 25 frames, including up to 5 frames in the cache, are saved. Image size is fixed at 2M (1600 x 1200).
- Continuous H 120 fps: Up to 50 frames are captured at a speed of about 1/120 seconds. (Image size is VGA 640 x 480)
- Continuous H 60 fps: Up to 25 frames are captured at a speed of about 1/60 seconds. (Image size is 1M 1280 x 960)
- Best Shot Selector: Up to 10 frames are taken, and the camera automatically selects only the sharpest picture in the series. Recommended for low light conditions without flash, with the camera zoomed in, or in other situations subject to camera shake.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10-second self-timer for self-portraits or a 2-second to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button.
Flash: The built-in flash has a range of 1'-8" to 19' (Wide angle) and 5' to 11' (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto, Auto (with Red-eye reduction), Fill Flash, Slow Sync, and Off.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 4, 9, 16, or 72 images. You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include: Quick Effects, Quick Retouch, D-Lighting, Glamour Retouch, Small Picture, and Crop.
Quick Effects: Special effects can be applied to images immediately after releasing the shutter. You can check the end results of each effect on an image on the preview screen.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S9500 is powered by the supplied EN-EL12 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V, 1050mAh, 3.9Wh). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-70P AC adapter and UC-E6 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 230 shots or 50 minutes of HD movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 3 hours 50 minutes, using the AC adapter.
Power Saving Function: When the camera is operated on battery power, after several minutes of no operations, the monitor turns off and the camera enters the Standby mode. The Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes.
HDMI: The Coolpix S9500 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV for still image and movie playback. The image resolution of the HDMI output can be set to Auto, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
Digital/AV Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB cable or the supplied AV cable. This output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or connecting the camera to a TV (if you don't have an HDMI cable). The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The Video Mode can be set to NTSC or PAL.
ViewNX2: The Nikon ViewNX 2 software CD-ROM is provided with the camera. The ViewNX2 software disc contains the following applications:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
- Panorama Maker: for creating a single panorama image of a landscape, etc. from a series of images that each capture a separate portion of the subject.
Note: A 252-page Reference Manual is provided on a separate CD-ROM disc.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- Macintosh: OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.