Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Elegance with an attitude
Boston Acoustic's MSub can deftly render the delicate acoustic bass line from a jazz standard, then turn around and deliver a room-rattling crash of thunder on a movie soundtrack. It will faithfully and effortlessly reproduce the deepest bass in all your favorite music, films, and games. It features a powerful 10" woofer reinforced by dual 8" passive radiators for rich, low-distortion sound. An attractive, room-friendly cabinet design with gently curved sides and ultra-solid construction minimizes performance-robbing resonance — ensuring that all you hear is pure, clean bass.
Plenty of muscle and flexibility
The MSub's built-in 500-watt amp includes Boston's proprietary BassTrac® circuitry, which keeps the bass deep and full while eliminating audible distortion. The power supply's beefy toroidal transformer holds plenty of power in reserve to help the sub handle even the most demanding music or soundtrack with ease. You can hook up the sub to your system via the stereo RCA line-level or speaker-level inputs, and use the adjustable crossover and volume control for perfect blending with the rest of your speakers. There's also a dedicated LFE input, which bypasses the sub's crossover to allow your surround sound receiver or preamp/processor to use its own built-in crossover controls for outstanding home theater sound.
- frequency response 23-150 Hz (±3dB)
- built-in amplifier delivers 500 watts of continuous power, 1000 watts dynamic peak power
- internal power supply features a large toroidal transformer for plenty of reserve power to handle demanding music or film soundtracks
- continuously variable low-pass 40-180 Hz crossover
- 10" polypropylene cone woofer
- dual 8" polypropylene passive radiators
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- rear mounted volume, crossover, and phase controls
- auto on/off
- speaker level inputs
- line-level inputs (stereo RCA jacks)
- LFE input for use with home theater receiver's subwoofer output (RCA)
- satin black finish
- 16-3/4"W x 13-1/16"H x 16-11/16"D
- weight: 51.8 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years subwoofer, 1 year amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why add a powered subwoofer?
A powered subwoofer gives you bass you can feel as well as hear. Our customers love the depth and impact their subs add to music and movies. We hear comments like "it brings out sounds I didn't know existed in discs I've watched a million times." Powered subwoofers aren't just for big bass that rattles your picture frames; they can also deliver tight, accurate lows. If you haven't shopped for a powered sub in a while, you might be surprised at how small they get. Look for an ultra-compact model if you want to tuck your sub away under an end table or in a corner.
Boston Acoustics MSub Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This is very clean sounding bass, not just a thump (even though they do that "thump"). This sub allows you to feel everything that is going on but at same time allows you to hear all the miss and highs too.
Pros: Very clean smooth bass allowing you to feel what you are watching but not intrusive on the miss and highs from your other speakers.
Cons: You might spend a little extra money on super glue to keep the wife's decorations on the wall.
What's in the box?
- Powered subwoofer
- 6' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-180|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||500|
|Frequency Response||23-150 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
10" Woofer + Dual 8" Passive Radiators: The Boston Acoustics MSub powered subwoofer contains a front-firing 10"woofer and two side-firing 8" passive radiators to deliver rich bass with very little distortion. With the MSubwoofer, you can enjoy rich bass while listening to music, watching movies or TV shows, or playing games through your home theater system.
500-Watt Amplifier w/ Torroidal Transformer: The built-in 500-watt power amplifier can provide up to 1,000 watts of peak output when needed. The speaker's internal power supply features a large torroidal transformer to keep plenty of power on reserve to handle demanding music or film soundtracks with ease.
BassTrac Circuitry: The subwoofer's amplifier features BassTrac circuitry, a proprietary Boston Acoustics-designed technology, which tracks the subwoofer's input signal and prevents the amplifier from being driven into audible distortion. Unlike conventional designs, BassTrac does not merely remove the signal peaks that cause distortion; instead it preserves the waveform's shape so the fidelity of the signal is maintained. Even the heaviest bass passages in movies or audio tracks will sound solid, rich, and full, without unwanted artifacts.
Controls: The Boston Acoustics MSub provides two rear-panel controls to fine tune the powered sub to your home theater system.
- Volume Level: The rotary volume control adjusts the volume of the powered subwoofer relative to the other speakers in your home theater system.
- Low Pass Crossover: The MSubwoofer features an adjustable low pass filter (40-180Hz) that allows you to tune the subwoofer's output to match the bass extension of the main speakers for optimal balance. For instance, if your speakers have excellent bass extension, you can set the subwoofer to produce only the lowest tones.
- Polarity Switch: The subwoofer's polarity switch allows you to select 0° or 180°. If the bass sounds weak, muddy, or unclear, toggling the polarity control may strengthen the bass attack.
- Auto-On: The Auto-On Circuit automatically turns the amplifier on when an audio signal is detected. It will automatically turn off after several minutes with no signal. The LED indicator on the back of the sub glows green when the unit is on and red when the unit is in standby.
Connections: To connect seamlessly with your home theater system, the MSubwoofer is equipped with three types of inputs.
- LFE Input: The LFE input (low-frequency effects) input is designed to be used with electronics such as preamplifiers, audio/video receivers, and other devices with an LFE output and built-in crossover controls (the sub's built-in crossover will not be used).
- Stereo RCA Inputs: The left and right Stereo RCA inputs allow you to connect the powered sub to a home receiver's subwoofer preamp output (not LFE). You can use the sub's built-in low pass filter to optimize the crossover point between the subwoofer and your main speakers.
- Speaker-Level Inputs: Use the sub's speaker-level inputs (binding posts) when your receiver does not contain an LFE or stereo RCA output. These speaker inputs accept both left and right channel speaker signal from your receiver (make sure your front speakers are set to Large). The binding post speaker terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (single/dual), spade-connectors, or pin-connectors.
Placement: For optimal results, place the powered subwoofer on the same wall (or in a corner) as your front speakers. In principal, the lower the crossover point, the greater the distance the powered sub can be from your front speakers. However, the sound is typically best when the sub is within 12' of the front speakers.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.