Boston Acoustics Pro50 SE
5-1/4" component speaker system
Item #: 065PRO50SE
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $349.99
Boston Acoustics designed the PRO50 SE component speaker system to bring high fidelity sound into your mobile environment. The package combines two 5-1/4" woofers, a pair of 1" dome tweeters, and a set of sophisticated crossover networks to deliver superior reproduction of everything from light classical to the heaviest rock.
Accurate, powerful bass
A rigid cast-aluminum frame supports the tough copolymer woofer cone so that no extraneous vibrations interfere with the clean reproduction of your music. The woofer's lightweight neodymium magnet and large voice coil help transfer electrical energy into sound efficiently and precisely. Boston's proprietary heatsinks and air vents keep the speaker's inner workings running cool, ensuring dependable and long-term play.
Superb high-frequency response
The 1" dome tweeter, made of a lightweight metallic alloy, produces crisp, detailed high notes without being harsh. For best results, you should mount the component tweeters separately so they'll broadcast the high frequencies more directly to your ears. If that's not an option in your vehicle, a unique design lets you install these tweeters in the woofer cones, so they'll mount in your vehicle's factory speaker locations.
The crossovers use separate high- and low-pass filters to assign the appropriate frequencies to the woofers and tweeters in the proper balance. You can adjust the tweeter level to improve high-frequency balance, and also to compensate for a tweeter that's been axis-mounted on the woofer. The crossovers can be docked together to provide another convenient installation option.
Important Note: These Boston Acoustics speakers use a low impedance design to pull more power safely from your car stereo or amplifier. This design is compatible with virtually all factory and aftermarket stereos.
- component speaker system includes two woofers, two tweeters, two external crossovers
- 5-1/4" copolymer woofer with rubber surround and cast aluminum basket
- 1" Type-M1 anodized alloy dome tweeter with axis-, flush-, and surface-mount options
- dockable crossover with bi-wire and bi-amp options
- grilles included
- power range: 2-125 watts RMS (250 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 60-22,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- top-mount depth: 2-5/16"
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why install component speakers?
A component speaker system gives you the best possible performance from your car audio system. A system consists of separate woofers, tweeters, and crossovers, each designed to cover one specific range of frequencies. As separate components, the woofer can move freely to deliver more powerful performance, while the tweeter can be custom-mounted in a better spot up closer to your ears, revealing a whole new world of detail. Separate crossovers are far superior to the simple filters wired into full-range speakers, so the components work together for smoother, more focused sound.
Boston Acoustics Pro50 SE Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
These components sound great, I have an 08 Sierra that I had installed Eclipse components in. The Eclipse components have been in my previous 02 Sierra, both tweeters blew in the same week, so I immediately turned to Crutchfield. I have always loved the way Boston sounded, so it was a no brain decision to choose the Pro 50se's. The price was great, and after about a half hour after placing my order, I decided to call back and order a second set for the rear. I have them wired to an Alpine pdx4.100 and they sound great. The Crutchfield team is awesome, they are straight forward at giving advice, and making sure you are getting the best for your money.
Pros: Sound great, option to mount as a coaxial is a nice feature, they like power.
Cons: The end of Boston Acoustics car audio, in my opinion they have the best sounding mids and highs.
Not good for the price
I have an MB Quart 4 channel powering these speakers and they dont produce hardly any bass whatsoever. The amp isn't even powerful enough to push the full RMS of the speakers yet I can only turn the amp up half way or they speakers will pop and distort. Honestly the factory speakers put out more bass than these. They would be good if I had a sub because I could just use them for highs, but even for mids they arent that geate
Pros: Crystal clear highs output, clean sound
Cons: not enough bass for the price. If you were to replace your factory speakers with these they wont compete, you'll need a sub (and my factory speakers werent of any name brand)
Boston Acoustics Pro50 SE
These will abasolutely blow you away!! They can take as much power as you can give them and the highs are always crystal clear. I didn't think imaging this accurate was possibe for car stereo!
Boston Acoustics Pro50 SE
1995 Dodge Intrepid
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I have used Boston Acoustic products since 1993 (851 first speakers i bought ), and these speakers live up to the high standards I've come to expect, beautiful as they are stunning in there sound reproduction.
What's in the box?
- 2 Woofers
- 2 Tweeters (installed in axis mount)
- 2 Tweeter axis mounts (installed)
- 4 Axis mount bolts (installed)
- 2 Woofer crossovers
- 2 Tweeter crossovers
- 2 Woofer grilles
- 2 Woofer grille frames
- 2 Tweeter grilles
- 4 Woofer gaskets
- Two 5' lengths of tweeter speaker wire (each with gold-plated 0.11" male quick slides on one end and 0.11" female quick slides on the other end)
- 2 Flush mount tweeter cups
- 2 Angle mount tweeter bases (bottom sections)
- 2 Angle mount tweeter housings (top sections)
- 2 Metal 5-1/4" adapter rings (converts ear tabs to full flange)
- Four 1" Self-tapping screws
- Four 1/2" Self-tapping screws for securing tweeter mounts
- Two 3/8" Self-tapping screws
- Two 2-piece metal tweeter spring mounting clips
- 3/32" Hex bit for Allen-head screws
- Sixteen 1-1/8" Self-tapping Allen-head screws
- Six 1/4" Allen-head machine screws (8-32)
- Six 11/16" Allen-head machine screws (8-32)
- 8 Flat washers
- 4 Insulated female quick slides (2 x 0.205" and 2 x 0.11")
- Woofer hardware bag contents list
- 2.5mm Hex key (with plastic handle)
- Installation Instructions
- Tweeter removal instructions
- Warranty information
- Product Registration card
Features and Specs
|Speaker Size||5 1/4|
|Tweeter Composition||Anodized alloy|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Frequency Response||60 - 22k Hz|
|RMS Power Range (Watts)||2-125|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||250|
|Top-mount Depth (Inches)||2 1/4|
|Bottom-mount Depth (Inches)||N/A|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||4 11/16|
Woofer: The PRO50SE component system includes copolymer woofers with rubber surrounds. Each woofer has a 1-1/2" diameter voice coil and a neodymium magnet which has a high power-to-weight ratio and a compact size; about one-tenth the size of traditional iron-ferrite magnets. The speaker features a cast-aluminum basket, Radiavent cooling, and an integrated Twinstage aluminum heat sink to draw heat away from the voice coil, increasing the power handling capacity.
Tweeter: The PRO50SE includes 1" Type M-1 anodized alloy dome tweeters with AMD (Amplitude Modification Device) for a smooth high frequency response and linearity. AMD is a patented acoustical tuning device that uses precisely sized hollow tubes positioned in front of the tweeter to refocus short wavelength energy and create an extremely smooth, flat response. This is done without using elaborate electronic components that can degrade the sound's purity. The supplied Quick-fit mounting cup simplifies tweeter installation. The tweeters come mounted to the woofer using the axis-mount bracket; they can be removed and with the supplied brackets be flush-mounted or surface-mounted at an angle.
|Frame Diameter||Cutout Diameter||Mounting Height||Mounting Depth|
|Angled Surface Mount||1.870"||Screw holes only||1.502"||Screw depth only|
Note: See Fit Notes below for PRO50SE dimensions when configured as a coaxial speaker.
Crossovers: The PRO50SE system comes with separate woofer and tweeter crossovers for each channel. Each crossover can be mounted separately, docked in pairs, or all four crossovers docked together and mounted as one unit. The crossover inputs and outputs are set screw terminals and will accept bare wire up to 10 gauge. The following crossover adjustments can be made:
- Tweeter Attenuation: On the tweeter crossovers, you can adjust the tweeter output by placing the supplied jumper on the appropriate terminals; select an un-attenuated tweeter output (0dB attenuation) or an attenuated output of -2dB or -4dB. The factory setting is -2dB.
- Axis/Component Configuration: On the woofer crossovers you can set the output for axis mount or component configuration. If the tweeter is mounted to the woofer using the axis mount bracket, the jumper should be placed on the Axis terminals (factory position). If the tweeter is removed from the woofer and mounted separately in the flush-mount or angled surface-mount cups, the jumper should be placed on the component terminals.
- Input Configurations:
- Separate Inputs: Each crossover (woofer and tweeter) has independent inputs, allowing you bi-amp (separately powering the woofer and tweeter with different amplifier channels) or bi-wire (powering the woofer and tweeter with separate wires from the same amplifier channels) the system. The supplied signal bridge, which shorts the woofer and tweeter inputs together, is removed to bi-amp or bi-wire.
- Single Input: When powering the component system with a single full-range input, you will need to connect the woofer and tweeter crossover inputs together. This can be accomplished using the supplied signal bridge when the woofer and tweeter crossovers are mounted together.
- Daisy Chain: When not mounted together, the
woofer and tweeter crossovers can be daisy-chained together. The signal
output from the amplifier is connected to one of the crossover's inputs;
the signal output from that crossover is then wired to the other
Note: No crossover frequency or slope information was provided by the manufacturer.
- Length: 6.476"
- Height: 1.560"
- Individual: 1.961"
- Pair: 3.789"
- All four: 7.405"
PRO50SE Coaxial Mounting: When the tweeters are mounted on the axis mount, the PRO50SEs have the following dimensions:
|Mounting Height||Flange Height||Cutout Diameter||Frame Diameter|
6-1/2" Applications: Using the supplied metal speaker adapter ring you can mount the woofer in some 4-hole, 6-1/2" applications (maximum cutout diameter 6.070").
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.