Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Boston Acoustics VRiSUB82
Passive in-wall subwoofer
Item #: 065VRSUB82
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $599.99 each
Boston Acoustics VRiSUB82
Our take on the Boston Acoustics VRiSUB82 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Get great bass without taking up space
Beef up your bass with a subwoofer that doesn't take up an inch of floor space. The VRiSUB82 is a passive sub that installs directly in your wall. It's a great way to bolster the bass of your in-wall stereo speakers, or finish off a stealth surround system. Plus, this clever subwoofer is ideal for use with standard bookshelf and tower speakers in space-challenged rooms.
The VRiSUB82 features dual 8" woofers mounted on a rock-solid cast aluminum baffle for clean, room-filling bass all the way down to 33 Hz. The frame and grille are paintable, so you can match them precisely to the color of your walls.
An optional in-wall bracket is recommended for installing the VRiSUB82 in a new home under construction (or in a room that's undergoing major renovation).
What's in the Box:
- In-wall subwoofer
- White metal grille (with 10 strips of pressure sensitive adhesive installed)
- Fabric scrim (installed in grille)
- Yellow protective wax paper sheet
- Plastic paint shield
- Cardboard template
- Manual (English/Spanish/French/German)
- "Grille Painting and Scrim Precaution" sheet
- VRiSub82 Grille Installation sheet
- Boston Acoustics Brochure
- Product registration card
Boston Acoustics VRiSUB82 Reviews
Features and Specs
|Woofer Composition||DCD Co-polymer|
|Power Range (Watts)||140|
|Frequency Response||33-160 HzHz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Woofers: The VRiSub82 in-wall subwoofer uses dual 8" cast DCD copolymer woofers. The subs are mounted to a massive cast aluminum baffle for rigidity and low resonance.
Inputs: Spring loaded posts will accept pin connectors, or bare wire up to 12 gauge.
Paintable: Both the frame and grille can be painted to match the ceiling or wall. A plastic paint shield is included to protect the drivers.
New Construction Bracket: For new construction installations, the NCBTL8 in-wall Installation Bracket (item # 065NCBTL8) is needed.
Recommended Amplifier: The VRiSub82 sub is designed to work with the Boston Acoustics SA1 sub amplifier (item # 065SA1). Use with any other amp will result in poor performance and may cause damage to the sub. One SA1 amp can run up to two VRiSub82's.
Overview: It is the nature of bass to cause objects to vibrate. Care should be taken in planning the installation of an in-wall subwoofer to minimize the risk of room vibration and noise. Here are some tips to consider:
- Location Hazards: Do not locate the subwoofer in wall cavities that contain ducts or grilles. Do not locate the sub close to wall-mounted light fixtures, grilles, or other wall-mounted objects that might vibrate. Check both sides of the wall for objects that might vibrate.
- Wall Materials: It is recommended that the sub is only installed in walls with a solid surface such as wallboard, wood, or masonry. Do not install the sub in walls constructed of lath and plaster. Extra care must be taken with walls with steel studs to confirm that any studs that touch each other are screwed together and that all studs are screwed to the Sheetrock. Note: Consult local building codes for compliance.
- Placement: The VRiSub82 should be located in full-height wall cavities to achieve a minimum cavity volume of 2.5 cubic feet. Do not locate two Sub82's in the same wall cavity or in the same wall cavity of any other speaker.
- Wall Dampening: The performance of the sub will be enhanced if the wall cavity is filled with standard fiberglass insulation.
- New Construction: Taking steps to increase the rigidity of the mounting surface will enhance the performance of the sub. Using additional drywall screws, using construction adhesive between the drywall and studs are useful techniques.
Wall Thickness: With the supplied hardware, the sub can be installed into walls with a surface thickness of 1/2" to 1-1/4". With the thicker surfaces, you will need longer screws. It is not recommended to install this sub in walls where the thickness is less than 1/2".
Installation: After a 19-7/16" x 11" cutout is made (either vertically or horizontally), the speaker is installed in the hole and held in place by a rugged plastic screw-set bracket. The only tool required (after the hole is cut) is a #2 Phillips head screwdriver to tighten the clamps. The clamps spread up to 2.220", so they should cover almost any application (most drywall is 1/2" thick). The required depth to install this speaker is 3.75".
Note: There must be 1-1/2" clearance around the mounting hole on the long axis to accommodate the clamps.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.