Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powerful tower speaker performance
If you're looking for speakers that serve up the kind of impact and clarity that make you feel like you're right there in the recording booth or on stage with your favorite artist, check out the Studio 580 from JBL. This floor-standing tower speaker takes advantage of pro-audio technology developed by JBL engineers to deliver dynamic, full-bodied sound that's just right for enjoying music and movies in larger listening rooms. Pick up a pair for stereo music, or use them as your front left and right speakers in a full JBL Studio home theater setup.
High-frequency horn for precise sound
All JBL Studio speakers feature a 1" high-frequency compression driver to achieve lower distortion and wider dynamic range than conventional speaker designs. This tweeter design uses a durable one-piece diaphragm and surround assembly fitted with a 1" voice coil to reproduce sparkling-clear highs. Because high-frequency sounds are more directional than bass frequencies, it's especially important to target them toward your ears. JBL places their tweeter inside a flared opening, known as a "horn," which directs sound to the listener with pinpoint accuracy, and helps eliminate reverberations, sound reflections off walls, and other artifacts. JBL's advanced glass-filled ABS bi-radial horn design delivers your movie soundtracks and music with professional-level realism.
Ribbed PolyPlas woofers for deep, satisfying bass
The Studio 580 towers use dual JBL 6-1/2" PolyPlas woofer cones to deliver deep, accurate low-frequency sound. The woofer's ribbed design helps improve strength and resist flexing while reducing distortion. JBL wraps all of this driver technology up in a rigid, heavily braced enclosure with non-parallel surfaces to eliminate sound interference and prevent unwanted resonance. The result is tight, articulate bass you can feel as well as hear.
Got wire?Most speakers don't include any. Learn about choosing and installing speaker wire at the Crutchfield Learning Center.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- frequency response: 40-40,000 Hz (-6dB)
- recommended amplifier power: up to 200 watts
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- 1" compression driver with neodymium magnet and one-piece Teonex® diaphragm on a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial® horn
- dual 6-1/2" PolyPlas cast aluminum frame woofers with symmetrical field geometry (SFG) magnet structures and rubber surrounds
- bass-reflex (ported) design
- dual gold-plated speaker binding posts (bi-wire capable)
- port tube inserts included for attenuating bass in the 50-100Hz region to compensate for room placement
- 9-7/8"W x 42-1/16"H x 13-3/4"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Floor-standing speakers still standing tall
Sure, floor-standing tower speakers buck the industry trend toward smaller, visually inconspicuous speakers, but they're hard to beat if great sound is your primary goal. Tower speakers produce powerful sound with excellent bass, making them a great choice for serious music lovers and for folks who want high-impact home theater.
JBL Studio 580 Reviews
What's in the box?
- Floor-standing loudspeaker
- Removable cloth grilles (installed)
- Horn cover
- Port tube insert
- 4 Spiked feet
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||40-40,000 Hz|
JBL Studio Series: The JBL Studio 580 floor-standing speaker shares critical design characteristics with the JBL's Professional loudspeakers you find and hear in movie theaters and concert venues. The JBL Studio Series loudspeaker offers dynamic realism & dimensional accuracy that closely duplicates the experience of a movie theater or musical live performance.
Two-Way Floor-Standing Speaker: The JBL Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker features two 6.5" low-frequency woofers and a high-frequency compression driver surrounded by a glass-filled Bi-Radial horn; a combination that delivers crisp, focused, dimensionally accurate sound.
High Frequency Compression Driver/Horn System: The JBL Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker features a 1" compression driver with a neodyminium magnet and one-piece Teonex diaphragm on a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial horn.
- 1" High-Frequency Compressions Driver: The Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker's high-frequency compression driver lowers distortion and provides a wider dynamic range than is possible from conventional high-frequency and midrange drivers. The tweeter includes a one-piece Teonex diaphragm/surround assembly fitted with a 1" voice coil that can deliver enhanced vocal articulation.
- Glass-Filled ABS B-Radial High-Frequency Horn: Horn-shaped loudspeaker designs optimize high-frequency output by directing the sound to the listener with pinpoint accuracy, thereby eliminating reverberations, reflections off walls, and other artifacts. The Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker features a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial high-frequency horn that delivers professional-level sound to your home.
Dual Low Frequency Woofers: The JBL Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker features dual PolyPlas cone woofers with Symmetrical Field Geometry (SFG) magnet structures, cast-aluminum frames, and rubber surrounds.
- Two 6.5" Ribbed PolyPlas Woofers: The Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker delivers accurate low-frequency sounds from dual 6.5" ribbed PolyPlas woofer cones. The ribs improve strength while reducing distortion. The result is rich, articulate bass.
- Symmetrical Field Geometry (SFG) Magnet Assembly: Thanks to a heavy-duty Symmetrical Field Geometry (SFG) magnet assembly, the Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker's low-frequency woofer delivers highly focused bass. The result is pristine, articulate sound.
- Non-Resonant Cast-Aluminum Frame: Each 6.5" woofer features a non-resonant cat-aluminum frame for clean, powerful bass response.
- Rubber Surrounds: The ribbed PolyPlas woofer cones employs a rubber surround for long cone excursion and extended bass response.
Low-Loss, Two-Way Crossover Network: The Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker's low-loss, two-way crossover network ensures a clean transition for sound coming from individual low-frequency and high-frequency drivers, thereby reducing distortion while improving clarity.
Voice Matching: Engineered and voice matched to other speakers in the JBL Studio 5 Series, the Studio 580 floor-standing speaker is powerful, accurate, and styled to make a dramatic design statement in any listening environment.
Sturdy 3/4" MDF Enclosure: The JBL Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker utilizes a rigid, heavily-braced enclosure with non-parallel surfaces to reduce unwanted resonance.
Bass Reflex Design: The Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker employs a bass reflex (ported) design cabinet with a rear-facing bass port that increases output and extends bass response. There is a port tube insert included to decrease the amount of bass output (50Hz-100Hz) from the cabinet.
Detachable Grille: The floor-standing loudspeaker can be used with or without its detachable cloth grille. A plastic cosmetic cover is provided when not using the cloth grille.
Colors: The 580 floor-standing speaker is available in a black or cherry wood-grain vinyl finish (both contain black grilles).
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The JBL Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker will work with various power amplifiers and home receivers, with single single-wire or bi-wire operation. The Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker is fitted two sets of gold-plated 5-way binding posts connected by gold-plated jumpers. Using the dual 5-way binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speaker. The gold-plated 5-way binding posts will accept bare wire, pin connectors, spade connectors, or banana plugs (single/dual).
Note: Make sure to remove the gold-plated jumpers when bi-wiring/bi-amping the speaker.
Color-Coded: The dual 5-way binding posts terminals are color-coded (red/black) for easy identification between positive and negative.
Placement: For the best results, place the speakers 6' to 10' apart. Angling the speakers toward the listening position can improve the stereo imaging. The speakers will produce the most accurate stereo soundstage when the angle between the listener and the speakers is between 40° and 60°. Generally, bass output will increase as the speaker is moved closer to a wall or corner. For the best performance, JBL recommends that you place the speakers at least 20" away from the side walls.
Rubber Feet: The JBL Studio 580 floor-standing loudspeaker comes with 4 rubber feet already installed. The rubber feet are used when placing the speaker on a hard surface, such as your hardwood or tile floor.
Metal Floor Spikes: Four metal spikes are supplied for use when you place the floor-standing speaker on a carpeted surface. Using the spikes decouples the subwoofer from the floor and prevents unwanted acoustic damping. The metal spikes add 0.1875" to the height of the speaker. The rubber feet must be removed before installing the spiked feet.
Magnetically Shielded: The speaker is magnetically shielded, allowing you to place it near any television without distorting the picture.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.