Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Jensen uses Class B amplifier technology in their Power Series amps to bring you great performance at a reasonable price. This low-distortion, low-noise circuitry reduces power consumption while ensuring accurate reproduction. Extended high-frequency response adds in instrumental overtones that add new realism to your music.
One amp for your entire system
Jensen's 5-channel Power Series 5500 amplifier takes care of your entire system, sending 60 watts RMS to each of your car's four speakers and driving your sub with up to 250 watts RMS. Or, you can really kick it up a couple of notches by switching the amp to 3-channel mode, sending 160 watts RMS to each of your high-performance front speakers while delivering 250 watts for your sub. Either way, you'll appreciate all that power housed in one easy-to-install package.
Shape your sound
The tone and filter controls sculpt the sound of your system to fit your car. The 4-channel section offers high-pass filters to keep the low bass away from your full-range speakers, while the subwoofer section features a low-pass filter, a subsonic filter, and a bass boost that'll tune your bass to perfection.
- 5-channel car amplifier
- 60 watts RMS x 4 plus 160 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (75 watts RMS x 4 plus 250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- 160 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms plus 160 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms in 3-channel mode
- CEA-2006 compliant
- Class B amplifier technology
- variable high-pass filter (16-160 Hz)
- variable low-pass filter (30-160 Hz)
- variable subsonic filter (16-60 Hz)
- bass boost (0-12 dB at 45 Hz)
- frequency response: 10-60,000 Hz
- 6-channel preamp inputs (front, rear, sub)
- fuse rating: 70A x 1
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 21-1/2"W x 2-1/4"H x 8-15/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
My system has plenty of power. Who needs an amp?
You might think you don't need an amp because you have a 400-watt system in your car, or because your new stereo puts out 50 watts a channel. But those are peak wattage ratings, which may boil down to 15 or 20 watts per channel, using the more realistic RMS rating. An amp sends your speakers the power they need to deliver your music with clarity and impact, whether you're using factory speakers or high-performance components. And low-frequency reproduction requires lots of power, so an amp is an absolute must if you're adding a sub to your system.
Jensen Power 5500 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
I had this amp for about a year now. At first i didnt have any problems with it (Other than the fact that is oversized). First off ill start by saying this amp's perfomance is AWESOME. im running my front and back voice speakers (through channels 1-4) with it to get way louder music and I also have two 10" kickers (paralled wired in channel 5) to it and i am getting AMAZING bass and sound. So when it comes to power this amp knows what its doing, that i do promise. As for indurance thats something it needs improvement on. Today the amp's metal cover plate vibrates and makes an anoying metallic rumbling sound with the subwoofer's vibration. Most of the time my music is loud enough to hide that sound by theres times that it does get anoying. Also due to it always being in direct sunlight and running at its top power, the amp overheats and turns off for cooling, leaving me without music while driving somewere. (I drive a corvette, so the only place i have to put this huge amp is in the back wich has a glass window. I have absolutly not other place with shading to put it on)
Pros: AWESOME POWER. GREAT AMP.
Cons: Overheats Oversize Rumbles (Makes metallic rumbling sounds. I tried re-adjusting the screws to tight them up but it didnt fix anything.)
Worked really good with my new system. Made the speakers sound really good.
What's in the box?
- 5-Channel amplifier (with inserted 70A Maxi-fuse)
- Remote subwoofer level control knob
- 16.5' Remote subwoofer level control cable (terminated by 6-pin connectors)
- Spare 70A Maxi-fuse
- 4 Large mounting screws
- 2 Small mounting screws
- 4 Large flat-washers
- 4 Large lock-washers
- 2 Small flat-washers
- 2 Small lock-washers
- Installation & Operation Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Power Output Certification card
- Online Product Registration card
- InstallerNet card
- emusic card
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4
160 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||160 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-60k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||30-160 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||16-160 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Fuse Rating||70 x 1|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Class B Design: The Jensen Power 5500 Five-Channel Power Amplifier utilizes an optimized class-B design to minimize distortion and reduce idle current.
MOSFET Power Supply: The Jensen Power 5500 features a highly-efficient MOSFET power supply and high-current bi-polar output transistors for consistent audio performance.
CEA 2006 Compliant: The Jensen Power 5500 Five-Channel Power Amplifier power ratings are measured according to the strict standards dictated by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards allow you to accurately compare the rated power output of all CEA 2006-compliant amplifiers, even if they come from different brands. Manufacturers who adhere to the standards can display the CEA 2006 logo on their products and packaging.
Amplifier Rating: The amplifier can be configured for a 5-channel or 3-channel (when bridged) speaker system. It can support down to 2-ohm loads in stereo (4-ohm for bridged).
- 5-Channel (4-ohm): 60 watts RMS x 4-channels (into 4-ohms @ 20-20,000 Hz with < 1% THD+N), and 160 watts RMS x 1-channel (into 4-ohms @ 16-160 Hz with < 1% THD+N)
- 5-Channel (2-ohm): 75 watts RMS x 4-channels (into 2-ohms @ 20-20,000 Hz with < 1% THD+N), and 250 watts RMS x 1-channel (into 2-ohms @ 16-160 Hz with < 1% THD+N)
- 3-Channel (Bridged): 160 watts RMS x 2-channels (into 4-ohms @ 20-20,000 Hz with < 1% THD+N), and 160 watts RMS x 1-channel (into 4-ohms @ 16-160 Hz with < 1% THD+N), or 250 watts RMS x 1-channel (into 2-ohms @ 16-160 Hz with < 1% THD+N)
Note: Bridged amplifier channels can only drive a 4-ohm impedance load.
Protection Circuitry: The Jensen Power 5500 features short circuit, DC-Offset, and Thermal overload protection circuitry.
- Thermal Protection: the am will shut down if its temperature exceeds a safe operating level. The amplifier will remain off until it cools to a safe operating temperature.
- Overload & Short Circuit Protection: The amplifier will shut down due to a short circuit or overload condition.
LED Indicators: The Power 5500 five channel amplifier features Power and Protect LED indicators.
- Power Indicator (Green): The Power indicator provides a visual indication that the amplifier is turned on.
- Protect Indicator (Red): The Protect indicator provides a visual indication that a problem exists and the protection circuitry has protected the amplifier by shutting it down.
Input Mode: The Power 5500 comes equipped with a 4ch/5ch mode switch and can be configured for two different input modes - 4 channel or 5 channel.
- 5 Channel: In 5 channel mode, the subwoofer channel is the sum of the amplifiers two subwoofer RCA inputs. For headunit with a subwoofer preamp output, you should select 5 channel mode.
- 4 Channel: In 4 channel mode, the subwoofer channel is a sum of the front and rear channels of the amplifier. This mode should be used for headunits without a separate subwoofer preamp output.
Gain Control: The Gain control matches the output of your radio to the input of the amplifier. To accommodate the varying range of signal levels coming from today's factory and aftermarket radios, the Jensen Power 5500 features adjustable gain controls (400mV-5V) for the front, rear, and subwoofer channels of the amplifier.
High-Pass and Low-Pass Crossovers: The Jensen Power series amplifier has built-in low-pass and high-pass crossover filters.
- High-Pass Crossovers: The independent high-pass filters for the amplifier's front & rear channels will limit the low frequencies being transmitted to your speakers. The high-pass filters are continuously variable from 16 to 160 Hz. The front & rear channel high-pass crossovers can also be set to full-range.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The low-pass filter for the amplifier's subwoofer channel will limit the high and midrange frequencies being transmitted to your subwoofers. Bandpass subwoofer enclosures will usually use a higher low-pass crossover setting than a sealed or ported enclosure. The low-pass filter is continuously variable from 30 to 160Hz.
Subsonic Filter: The Sub Sonic filter adjusts the high-pass filter for the amplifier's subwoofer channel. This filter allows you to fin tune the amount of extreme low bass sent to your subwoofer. It is adjustable from 16 to 60Hz. For large sealed box subwoofer you may wish to set this at the minimum of 16hz. For smaller subwoofers (single 8" or 10"), setting the filter to about 30Hz will protect the speaker from excessive excursion and distortion. For ported boxes, the woofer's excursion increases dramatically at approximately 1/3 octave below the tuning frequency. To protect the subwoofer from damage, the Sub Sonic filter should be set slightly below the tuning frequency of the box.
Bass EQ: The Bass EQ is continuously adjustable from 0 to +12 dB @ 45Hz for the amplifier's subwoofer channel. Adjusting the Bass Boost level allows different subwoofer/enclosure combinations to be equalized. Use this control to increase the level of low bass available from your subwoofer/enclosure combination. Ported and Band Pass enclosures should be limited to approximately +6 to +9dB. Sealed enclosures should be able to accept the full +12dB boost.
Remote Input Level Control: The Power 5500 comes equipped with a remote input level control. The remote input level control allows the input level to be adjusted from an alternate location, such as the driver seat. It can be mounted under-dash or in-dash. When the amplifier is used to drive subwoofers and the low-pass crossover is activated, the remote input level control can be used as a remote bass level control. This enables you to control the bass level independent from the rest of the system. This is convenient for system tuning and/or when playing various types of music.
Note: The remote input level control uses a 6-pin modular cable for connectivity. Simply plug in the 6-pin modular cable into the amplifier and then into the remote input level control to activate the circuit.
Power Connections: The amplifier's power and ground connections use set-screw terminals which will accommodate up to 4 Gauge wire. The amp's remote turn-on lead is also a set-screw terminal and will accommodate up to an 8 gauge wire.
Speaker Outputs: The speaker outputs are set-screw terminals which will accommodate up to 8 gauge speaker wire.
RCA Input: The amplifier features three pair of RCA outputs (Front/Rear/Sub).
Fuse: The Power 5500 features one 70-amp Max fuse. It also comes with a spare.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.