Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Want more power? Maybe you've got a component speaker system or a power-hungry sub, or maybe you just like to crank the volume a little bit louder than your neighbor. Whatever the reason, Kenwood amplifiers have got your power needs covered.
Looking for a multichannel amp to drive your front and rear speakers? The KAC-8401 amp punches out 60 watts RMS by 4 channels of MOSFET-fueled power, complete with variable crossovers and bass boost. Need bass? Bridge this versatile Kenwood to 2-channel mode, and feed your subs big power.
A set of preamp outputs allow you to pass signal to a second amplifier without running another set of patch cables from your receiver. The cast-aluminum heat sink and built-in cooling fan ensure reliable operation.
- 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 180 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- 2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
- variable high-/low-pass crossovers (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
- bass boost on rear channels (0/6 dB at 90 Hz)
- cooling fan
- preamp- and speaker-level inputs
- preamp outputs
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 12-1/2"W x 2-3/16"H x 11-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
My system has plenty of power. Who needs an amp?
You might think you don't need an amp because you have a 400-watt system in your car, or because your new stereo puts out 50 watts a channel. But those are peak wattage ratings, which may boil down to 15 or 20 watts per channel, using the more realistic RMS rating. An amp sends your speakers the power they need to deliver your music with clarity and impact, whether you're using factory speakers or high-performance components. And low-frequency reproduction requires lots of power, so an amp is an absolute must if you're adding a sub to your system.
Kenwood KAC-8401 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Kenwood KAC-8401 Amp
The Kenwood KAC-8401 is a great 4 channel amp
Pros: Great price/Good Looks/Blue On Light/ 60 Watts RMS @ 4 channel power at @ 4 Ohms. Easy to adjust/Easy on the eyes/and "CLEAN" Clean power. Bass/Midrange/Tweeters all work together making loud Clean Power Attractive/Easy Installation/Easy setup
Cons: Bass boast only on B channel and model has been updated by a 50 watt unit
I'm very happy with this model. Larry
What's in the box?
- Four-channel amplifier
- Speaker level input harness
- Rubber terminal cover
- 4 Self-tapping screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||320 x 2|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||90 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||180 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||5-50k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.08%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|Bass Boost||0/6 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||90 Hz|
|Fuse Rating||40 x 1|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Two Amplifiers In One: The KAC-8401 amplifier is a 4-channel amplifier, which includes 2 stereo amplifiers (called Amplifier A and Amplifier B) in one body.
Line Level Inputs: Amplifiers A and B each have a separate line-level input with gold-plated RCA jacks. The Input Sensitivity controls will accept an input signal of 200mV to 5.0 Volts. If you are using a receiver with only one pair of preamp outputs, the amp will allow you to feed both Amplifier A and B with a single stereo input. The Input Selector switch gives you a choice of using A + B inputs or A inputs only. Note: When the amplifier switch is in the A input only position, the fader control on the radio will no longer allow you to fade between Amplifier A and B.
Speaker Level Input: The KAC-8401 comes with a 4-channel speaker level input harness. Once you splice the front and rear speaker wires from the receiver to the harness, you have plug-in convenience to the amplifier. This feature makes it easier to add an amplifier to a factory radio or a receiver with no preamp outputs. The maximum power output from the source receiver can be no more than 40 watts.
Line Level Output: The amplifier has a line level output for feeding a full-range stereo signal to another amplifier. The jacks output the signals input input to Amplifiers A and B, and is always in stereo regardless of the position of the Operation (stereo/mono) switch.
Crossovers: The KAC-8401 has two built-in 12 dB/octave crossovers, one for Amplifier A and one for Amplifier B. Each crossover can be independently set to high-pass or low-pass operation or switched off for full-range operation. The crossover frequency is continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz.
Bass Boost: A fixed bass boost of 6dB at 90Hz can be engaged for Amplifier B only. There is no bass boost for Amplifier A.
Stereo/Mono Operation: You can independently switch Amplifier A and Amplifier B for Stereo or Mono operation. When switched to Mono operation, the signal from the left channel input only is used.
Protection circuitry: The amplifier features protection circuits that will shut the amp down in case of the following events:
- Speaker output contacts ground
- Speaker wire short-circuits
- Unit malfunctions and DC is sent to speaker output
- Internal temperature is too high
- Loss of ground of head unit or amp
Fan Cooled: The KAC-8401 has a cooling fan mounted to the top of the amplifier for better ventilation.
Left Side of the Amplifier
- GND: Philips-head screw for RCA signal ground
- Speaker-level input: multi-pin input for use with included speaker level input harness
- "A" and "B" line-in jacks: two pairs of gold plated RCA inputs
- Line out jacks: gold plated RCA outputs that provide a summed signal from the "A" and "B" sets of line inputs
Right Side of the Amplifier
- Fuse: 40 amp fuse
- BATT (Power): gold plated screw terminal (0.55" wide)
- GND (Ground): gold plated screw terminal (0.55" wide)
- P.CON (remote turn-on): gold plated screw terminal (0.35" wide)
- Speaker outputs: gold plated screw terminals (0.35" wide) for front and rear, left and right loudspeakers (bridged = Left+ and Right-)
- Rated power output at 2 ohms: 90 watts x 4 (1 kHz, 0.8% THD)
- Rated power output at 4 ohms, bridged: 180 watts x 2 (1 kHz, 0.8% THD)
- Max power output at 4 ohms, bridged: 320 watts X 2
- Input impedance: 10k ohms
- Operating voltage: 14.4 V (11-16V allowable)
- Current consumption (1 kHz, 10% THD): 39A
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.