Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood Excelon KAC-X650D
60W x 4 + 200W x 1 Car Amplifier
Item #: 113KACX650
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $549.99
Kenwood Excelon KAC-X650D
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KAC-X650D by Crutchfield's Robert Ferency-Viars
The variable color indicator on Kenwood's Excelon Series amplifiers cycles through seven bright colors or remains locked onto your favorite for constant illumination. The indicator starts flashing if your amp goes into protect mode, so you'll know what's wrong at a glance just by the color of the flash!
But beneath the flashy exterior of these amplifiers is where the real action takes place. For inside the rugged cover lurks a MOSFET-fueled beast, armed with efficient power supplies and large secondary capacitors that send power tearing through your system!
Kenwood has incorporated a sophisticated Bass Management System (BMS) into the Excelon amplifiers that applies a 12 decibel bass boost from a variable setting between 40-100 Hz, allowing you to tune low end output with a stunning degree of accuracy. Connected to a compatible Kenwood Excelon receiver (with BMS controls and an external amp control lead), you gain even more control over the bass boost. You can choose 6, 12, or 18 dB of bass boost from the comfort of the driver's seat! A built-in infrasonic filter enhances performance by eliminating the power-stealing inaudible frequencies.
The KAC-X650D offers a massive 200-watt Class D amplifier subwoofer channel in addition to four 60-watt channels of pure Excelon excitement. High-pass crossovers on the front and rear channels (12 dB/octave), and low-pass on the rear and sub channels (24 dB/octave) make this an ideal amp for all the speakers in your system.Details:
- 60 watts RMS x 4 + 200W x 1 at 4 ohms
- 80 watts RMS x 4 + 300W x 1 at 2 ohms
- 160 watts RMS x 2 bridged + 200W x 1 at 4 ohms
- 3-, 4-, or 5-channel output
- Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
- Bass Management System
- infrasonic filter (15 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- 12 dB bass boost variable from 40-100 Hz (expandable to 6/12/18 dB when connected to a Kenwood Excelon receiver equipped with BMS controls)
- requires 8-gauge power and ground leads wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- cooling fan
- speaker short, low battery, thermal overload, and DC protection
- variable color indicator
- gold-plated terminals
- detachable terminal covers
- 50-200 Hz crossovers: high-pass on front and rear channels (12 dB/octave), low-pass on rear and sub channels (24 dB/octave)
- 17-5/8"W (15" without terminal covers) x 2-5/16"H x 12-7/16"D
- 2-year warranty
What's in the Box:
- Black and silver amplifier
- 2 Black plastic terminal covers
- 4 Metal brackets (for mounting terminal covers)
- Two 30-amp fuses (inserted into amp)
- Four 18mm Self-tapping screws
- Four 8mm Self-tapping screws
- 4 Hex-head screws (M3 x 8mm)
- One 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Instruction manual
- Warranty card
- On-line product registration card (with free CD sampler offer)
Kenwood Excelon KAC-X650D Reviews
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4
200 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||160 x 4|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||80 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||160 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||5-70kHz Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.05%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||105 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24dB|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40-100Hz|
|Fuse Rating||30 x 2|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Five-Channel Amplifier: The KAC-X650D is a five-channel amplifier, incorporating two stereo amplifiers (Channels A and B) and a monaural D-class amplifier (SUB) in one body. The input sensitivity of each amplifier section can be set independently, regardless of the position of the input selector switch. By combining the switches and functions of the amplifier, this unit can be configured to operate a large variety of systems.
Variable-Color Indicator: The status indicator on the top of the amplifier is a variable-color LED that lights in one of 7 selectable colors or constantly changing colors to tell you the amplifier's operating status. Under normal operation, the LED glows constantly. The LED will blink in a certain color based on the amp's status or if the amp has malfunctioned and has gone into protection mode. The blinking color codes include:
- Blue: B.M.S. is activated.
- Yellow: The input power is less than 11 Volts.
- Purple: A DC signal is being sent to the speaker output.
- Red: The unit is overheating.
- Green: The speaker output is shorted or contacts ground.
Internal High-Pass/Low-Pass Crossovers: The internal high-pass crossover is continuously variable from 50 Hz to 200 Hz with a slope of 12dB/octave. When engaged, all frequencies higher than the chosen frequency is output through the A and/or B sections of the amplifier. The internal low-pass crossover is continuously variable from 50 Hz to 200 Hz with a slope of 24dB/octave. When engaged, all frequencies lower than the chosen frequency is output through the B and/or SUB sections of the amplifier. There are switches on the right side of the amplifier for selecting which channels should receive filtering.
Bass Management System (B.M.S): This feature allows precise tailoring of bass frequencies for the SUB channel only. This can be done either remotely with a compatible Kenwood eXcelon head unit or manually (when used with another head unit). When connected to a Kenwood eXcelon head unit (1999 or later models with an "External Control" wire attached), the B.M.S. controls can select 0dB, 6dB, 12dB of bass boost. The bass boost center frequency is variable between 40 Hz and 100 Hz. Newer head units with B.M.S. control can also select 18dB of bass boost and "frequency offset." The frequency offset control can switch between "Normal" (as set by the variable control) or "Low" (20-30% lower). The manual B.M.S. setting provides a 12dB of bass boost at the frequency selected.
Infrasonic Filter: This amplifier features an infrasonic filter on the SUB channel, which can cut off inaudible frequencies. Extremely low frequencies can be stressful to an amplifier or loudspeakers, and can cause distortion in the audible frequencies. The infrasonic filter is always on and cuts off frequencies below 15 Hz with a slope of 24dB/octave, resulting in increased amplifier efficiency and better audible sound.
Input Selection: This amplifier has three pairs of RCA inputs: A, B, and SUB. There are two Input Selector switches on the right side of the amplifier to route the input signals to the appropriate output channels. These switches allow you to send a signal to all the output sections of the amplifier with one, two or three pairs of RCA inputs.
Stereo/Mono Operation: The A and B sections of this amplifier can be operated in a stereo or mono mode. When the amplifier is to be used in a bridged mode, the unit should be switched to mono operation. When in the mono position, this unit amplifies the signal input from the left side only. The right input signal is not amplified.
Terminal Covers: The amplifier comes with two black plastic terminal covers designed to be mounted on each end of the amp to hide the wires and give it a cleaner look. Mounting hardware is included.
Top of Amplifier (under removable cover):
- A. Channel Input Sensitivity: Rotary control for adjusting the output level of the A channels of the amplifier.
- B. Channel Input Sensitivity: Rotary control for adjusting the output level of the B channels of the amplifier.
- V-Color Button: Push button for selecting the "ON" color for the LED indicator. Each time the button is pressed it selects one of 7 fixed colors or the variable color indicator.
- SUB. Channel Input Sensitivity: Rotary control for adjusting the output level of the SUB channel of the amplifier.
- B.M.S. Frequency: Rotary control for setting the center frequency of the bass boost when the B.M.S. switch is set to "+12dB" or "Remote".
Right Side of Amplifier:
- A. Channel Filter: Switch for selecting HPF (On) or OFF for the A Channel High-Pass Filter
- A. Channel HPF: Rotary control for adjusting the frequency of the A Channel High-Pass Filter
- B. Channel Filter: Switch for selecting HPF (high-pass on), OFF, or LPF (low-pass on) for the B Channel Filter
- B. Channel HPF: Rotary control for adjusting the frequency of the B Channel High-Pass Filter (when selected)
- B. Channel LPF: Rotary control for adjusting the frequency of the B Channel Low-Pass Filter (when selected)
- SUB. Channel LPF: Rotary control for adjusting the frequency of the SUB Channel Low-Pass Filter
- B.M.S.: Switch for setting the Bass Management System operation to Remote, Off, or +12dB
- Operation: Switch for selecting Stereo or Mono operation for the A and B channels. Note: When the amplifier is being used in the bridged mode, the mono operation should be selected. During mono operation, only the left channel input signal is amplified. There is no amplification of the right channel input.
- Input Selector AB-B: Switch for selecting the input for the B channel: In the AB position, the input for terminal A is output from Channel A and the input for terminal B is output from Channel B. In the B position, the input from terminal A is output from both Channels A and B.
- Input Selector AB-SUB: Switch for selecting the input for the SUB channel: In the AB position, the input for terminals A and B are mixed and output from the SUB channel. In the SUB position, the input for the SUB terminal is output from the SUB channel.
Right Side of Amplifier:
- Line In: Three pairs of gold-plated RCA jacks (A, B, SUB)
- Ground: Screw for use with RCA patch cables that have ground wires
- External Amp Control: Spring clip for use with compatible Kenwood head units with B.M.S. controls.
Left Side of Amplifier:
- Fuses: Two 30-amp fuses are inserted.
- Battery: Gold-plated screw terminal (width: 0.557")
- Ground: Gold-plated screw terminal (width: 0.557")
- Power Control: Gold-plated screw terminal (width: 0.35")
- Speaker Outputs: Five pairs of gold-plated screw terminals (width: 0.35") for Left and Right A Channels, Left and Right B Channels, and SUB Channel outputs. (For bridged connections, the Left (+) and the Right (--) terminals should be used for Channels A and/or B.)
Maximum Output Power:
- Five Channel: 160 watts x 4 + 300 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
- Three Channel: 300 watts x 2 (4 ohms bridged) + 600 watts x 1 (2 ohms)
Rated Power at 12.0 Volts:
- Five Channel (4 ohms): 40 watts x 4 + 130 watts x 1 (20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.05% THD) + (20 Hz-200 Hz, 0.5% THD)
- Five Channel (2 ohms): 60 watts x 4 + 200 watts x 1 (1 kHz, 0.5% THD) + (100 Hz, 0.8% THD)
- Three Channel (4 ohms bridged): 120 watts x 2 + 130 watts x 1 (1 kHz, 0.5% THD) + (100 Hz, 0.5% THD)
Rated Power at 14.4 Volts:
- Five Channel (4 ohms): 60 watts x 4 + 200 watts x 1 (20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.05% THD) + (20-200 Hz, 0.5% THD)
- Five Channel (2 ohms): 80 watts x 4 + 300 watts x 1 (1kHz, 0.5%THD) + (100 Hz, 0.8% THD)
- Three Channel (4 ohms bridged): 160 watts x 2 + 200 watts x 1 (1 kHz, 0.5% THD) + (100 Hz, 0.5% THD)
Best Frequency Response:
- A, B Channels: 5 Hz-70 Hz (+0, -3dB)
- SUB Channel: 15 Hz-200 Hz (+0, -3dB)
Best Signal-to-Noise Ratio:
- A, B Channels: 105dB
- SUB Channel: 100dB
Dimensions With Terminal Covers:
- Width: 17.625"
- Height: 2.285"
- Depth: 12.4375"
Dimensions Without Terminal Covers:
- Width: 15.0"
- Height: 2.285"
- Depth: 12.4375"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.