Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
CD Receiver with CD Changer Controls
Item #: 113KDC316S
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $159.99
Our take on the Kenwood KDC-316S
You'll love the crankability of 22 watts RMS of built-in 4-way power Kenwood's KDC-316S CD receiver will bring new life to your tunes! The CR-2 tuner pulls in distant signals effectively, and includes 24 presets for station storage.
Sculpt the sound to your liking with System Q's 6 customizable preset EQ curves, and use the size-matching option so your speakers play louder and cleaner. The KDC-316S will control a Kenwood 6- or 10-disc CD changer add a changer to your receiver order, and save $$ with Crutchfield's package discount.Details:
- detachable face
- CR-2 tuner
- 18 FM/6 AM presets
- seek tuning
- plays CD-Rs, CD-RWs
- System Q Sound Control (6 adjustable EQ presets, speaker size-matching, and 3-way tone control)
- source tone memory
- two sets of preamp outputs
- multicolor display
- CD/MD changer controls
- 22 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels
- CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio 96 dB
- FM sensitivity 9.3 dBf
- 1-year warranty
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Hard face case
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- RC-500 Wireless remote with 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Removal tools
- 1 Metal mounting strap
- 1 Rear support screw with one flat washer and one lock washer
- 1 Face security screw
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Countersunk ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
- Car Audio Passport card (required if face needs to be replaced)
- Yellow Caution note (reminds you to closely follow wiring instructions in manual)
- White Caution note (discusses System Q Scan function)
- Kenwood customer support sheet (includes 800 number for Kenwood's product support line)
Kenwood KDC-316S Reviews
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||30-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Preamp Voltage||1.8 volts|
|Key Button Color||Green/Keyed*|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Display/Button Illumination: The main display line is illuminated in white. The loud, attenuation, "CD-IN", and stereo indicators are displayed with green illumination. The System Q Sound Control indicators are displayed with light orange illumination. The buttons are backlit with green illumination. On the right side of the face, the unit has four rings of blue illumination, one around each end of the <</>> rocker button and one around each end of the AM/FM rocker button.
Display Type: This unit has a color LCD with white LED backlighting, giving you a bright, easy-to-read display.
Dual Info Display: The clock and source information can be displayed simultaneously.
CD Compatibility: This unit will play prerecorded CDs, finalized CD-R discs, and finalized CD-RW discs.
Digital Optimum Servo Control (DOSC): This circuitry enables the CD player to determine each disc's reflection rate and the modulation rate of its pits, enabling the player to set the ideal servo gain for each disc. DOSC also adjusts servo gain and balance when it encounters vibration, scratches, dust, or fingerprints, reducing mistracking and skipping.
Precision Digital Timing (DPAC): A high-precision master clock circuit that is isolated from signal-processing circuits to eliminate interference. This ensures that digital information is processed at exactly the same rate as it was recorded, eliminating jitter (time-based errors that make music sound harsh).
Integrated Quad 1-Bit Digital-to-Analog Converter: Four digital-to-analog converters, two for each channel, improve playback sound quality, including musical detail and resolution. Using two converters for each channel reduces distortion by half.
System Q Sound Control: 6 EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. The preset curves are named "Flat", "Rock", "Top 40", "Jazz", "Easy" and "Pops". Each preset has its own bass center frequency, bass level, bass quality factor, bass extension, middle center frequency, middle level, middle quality factor, treble center frequency and treble level settings. You may adjust the bass, middle, and treble level settings for each preset EQ curve; the center frequency and quality factor settings are not user adjustable.
Mobile Preset: The Mobile Preset function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Mobile Preset setting of "F" (flat), "O" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "6" (for systems with 6" to 6"x9" size speakers) or "5" (for systems with 4" to 5" speakers).
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, FM, AM and Changer).
Disabled System Indicator: A red indicator will blink on the unit after the faceplate is removed, warning potential thieves. This feature can be turned On or Off.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner for clear radio reception.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains.
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
Auxiliary Input "Ready": When used with an optional adapter (KCA-S210A or CA-C1AX) or with the KDC-CX87 CD changer, this unit can accept input from an auxiliary source. This unit cannot accept input from an auxiliary source unless the appropriate adapter or CD changer is purchased and connected. When the CA-C1AX adapter (item 113CAC1AX) is used, you cannot connect a CD changer to the head unit because the CA-C1AX plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit.
Weather Band Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood KTC-WB100 weather band tuner (sold separately). The optional tuner box allows you to tune in weather band radio stations. There are about 480 weather band radio stations in the United States, and this option allows you to tap into the information needed to prepare for outdoor activities such as sporting events, camping trips and days at the park.
Compatibility: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers that have an O-N switch. If you have an old Kenwood changer with a square plug, you will need the CA-DS100 converter cord and the KCA-S210A switching adapter. If you have a newer Kenwood changer with a round plug but no O-N switch, you will need the KCA-S210A switching adapter. If you use a changer without an O-N switch, you will not have access to the following functions: DNPS, DNPP, Magazine Random Play and CD Text display.Functions:
- Audible Search: Forward and reverse.
- Track Search: Forward and reverse.
- Disc Search: Forward and reverse.
- Repeat Play: Allows you to select Track Repeat or Disc Repeat. When Track Repeat is chosen, the unit will repeat the selected track. When Disc Repeat is chosen, the unit will repeat the selected disc.
- Track Scan: Plays the first 10 seconds of each track on the selected disc.
- Random Play: Plays all tracks on one disc in random order. When all tracks on that disc have been played, the unit will move to the next disc and play all of its tracks in random order.
- Magazine Random Play: Plays the tracks on all the discs in the changer in random order.
Remote: This unit comes with the Kenwood RC-500 wireless remote.
- Volume +/-: Adjusts the volume up or down
- SRC: Cycles through the different sources (Tuner, CD, Changer, Standby mode)
- Tune/Track (<</>>): In tuner mode, these buttons increase or decrease the tuner frequency. In CD or changer mode, these buttons select the next or previous track.
- FM/Disc +: In tuner mode, this button selects the FM band. In changer mode, this button selects the next disc in the changer.
- AM/Disc -: In tuner mode, this button selects the AM band. In changer mode, this button selects the previous disc in the changer.
- ATT: Attenuates the audio output
- DNPP/SBF: Does not control a function on this unit
- OK: Does not control a function on this unit
Dimensions: L=5.695", W=1.961", H=0.941"
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed". In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display can be turned on or off using the CLK button. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed". Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.