Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
Ready for your road trip
Whether you're listening to your favorite music or enjoying an audiobook, you'll be impressed by the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597 CD receiver's combination of performance and features. You can customize the illumination color to match your vehicle's lighting. Pair up your phone with this Kenwood, and you'll be able to take calls in your car with a touch of a button. Best of all, you also get the security of Kenwood Excelon's remarkable 2-year warranty.
Once you drive with a Bluetooth receiver, you'll wonder how you ever drove without one. Just plug your iPhone® into this receiver's USB port, and the receiver does the rest – one-button pairing means no more confusing menus to wade through. If your iPhone has Siri, you'll be able to talk to her through the external mic and hear her instructions through your car's speakers. You can also use your Bluetooth connection to stream audio to the receiver from just about any Bluetooth-equipped device.
Plenty of entertainment options
The convenient front-panel auxiliary and USB inputs give you access to plenty of other listening options. When you plug in your iPod® or iPhone®, you'll enjoy quick navigation of your playlists and albums. Plus, if you listen to Pandora® Internet radio with your iPhone, you won't miss a beat when you plug it into this Kenwood with its dedicated Pandora controls. Android and Blackberry owners can enjoy listening to and controlling Pandora using their Bluetooth connection to the receiver.
When you're not listening to drive-time radio, slip in a CD to take advantage of this receiver's 24-bit digital-to-analog converter. It converts the raw data on your disc, including MP3, WMA, and AAC files, to smooth, lifelike sound, and it'll make a big difference in the music on your iPod or thumb drive, too.
If you store your music on an Android device, download the free Kenwood Music Control app and enjoy a variety of search and playback features when your phone is plugged into the front-panel USB.
For satellite radio subscribers (or those who plan to be), the KDC-X597 works with SiriusXM's outboard tuner (not included), so you can enjoy coast-to-coast reception of your favorite talk, sports, and music programming.
Shape your sound
Wimpy bass and treble controls can't compare with the KDC-X597's 3-band parametric equalizer, high- and low-pass filters, and selectable bass boost, along with settings that let you adjust for your car's speaker setup. And don't forget another Excelon sound advantage. If you're building a car audio system, one of the keys to the getting the most out of your amplifiers is a clean, powerful signal from your preamp outputs. All Kenwood Excelon receivers feature 4-volt preamp outputs that will give your amps the strong signal they need for top performance.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and this Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
See more info on this item
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- one-button Bluetooth pairing with iPhone
- Pandora control with iPhone, Android, and Blackberry
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with AAC, MP3, and WMA music files
- detachable face with 11-digit display and variable-color button illumination
- wireless remote control
- EQ Pro (8 preset EQ curves and a 3-band parametric equalizer)
- speaker size settings
- Supreme Setting improves the sound of files encoded at low bit rates
- 3-level bass boost
- high- and low-pass filters; subwoofer level and phase control
- iPod/iPhone direct control via USB input — no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- Kenwood Music Control app enables playback of music files over USB from select Android devices
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front-panel auxiliary and USB input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer)
Other features and specs: