Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kick your CDs off the boat — Kenwood's KMR-700U digital media receiver offers a USB connection with built-in iPod® control so you can enjoy your favorite albums or playlists while you're on the water. This innovative system includes the marine receiver and a hideaway amplifier/connection unit, both with special water-resistant conformal coatings that protect the internal circuitry from the corrosive marine environment.
Plays and protects your iPod
The KMR-700U features a USB input behind its face for connecting your iPod or a USB storage device. That's a nice feature, but Kenwood adds an extra twist. A built-in watertight compartment inside the receiver keeps your iPod or other MP3 player protected from the elements, and Kenwood even includes a neoprene storage bag that adds an extra level of safety for your portable player.
Sweet sound controls
The robust internal amplifier puts plenty of muscle behind your tunes, and it's complemented by a serious set of sound controls. You can access a 3-band parametric equalizer for fine tuning, while the speaker size matching feature tailors the output of the receiver for different speaker sizes. Kenwood's Supreme setting improves the sound of compressed music files. And the versatile KMR-700U offers dual-zone audio output, so you can listen to one source below deck, while a different source plays at the helm.
Expand your system
Setting up a system with external marine amplifiers and subwoofers? You'll love the three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs and the ability to control the subwoofer's output level from the stereo. The built-in SIRIUS DirectConnect adapter means it's less expensive to add a satellite radio tuner for an unmatched variety of music, news, sports, and talk.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Hands-on Research" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Installation Note: This marine receiver's chassis will fit in a standard DIN (2" x 7") opening, but its oversize face can cause problems in certain applications. Please check the receiver's dimensions in Details to make sure it'll work in your boat.
- marine digital media receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- no internal CD player plays MP3, WMA, and AAC music files from your iPod and other external sources
- specially sealed against the elements for use in the marine environment
- built-in MP3 player pocket for protection from the elements
- 3-line white on black LCD display
- compatible with optional wired remote control
- dual-zone audio
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 7 preset sound curves
- Supreme setting for improved compressed audio file playback
- speaker settings function for matching speaker size
- front and rear high-pass filter
- subwoofer low-pass filter, phase, and level control
- built-in iPod control
- compatible with satellite radio tuner (built-in SIRIUS DirectConnect adapter)
- inputs: USB input, auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel 4-volt preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood KMR-700U Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Awesome I've owned for 3 years great power connects to every device if you have any common sense
Pros: Water tight power output storage durability
Cons: Iphone 5
Terrible unit. For the price you can get a unit with built in bluetooth. Worst part of this is that the iPhone get so hot from the unit heating up that it turns off after 30 or so minutes. Another bad note is that it does not work with the iPhone 5 because the connector is the old version.
Pros: Radio works
Cons: See Review
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Easy to install and works great.
Pros: iPhone and wired remotes work great.
Cons: I have only owned it for a couple of weeks. We will se what the summer brings.
kenwood kmr 700u
I love the main function of this unit which is power and waterproofness.. but!!... the screen is ridiculous to read and the functions are like something from NASA to figure out! Kenwood can do better...oh, and the remote that was supposed to come out in july is still non-existent!!!
Pros: Powerful ..waterproof
Cons: Read above
would not recomend
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
At first I thought this Radio was awesome after this last 2 or so years I am having some issues, The volume control does not adjust right if it works or not at. some of the hinges for the face plate are rusting. I am in the market for a new radio and hope I have better luck. I know I have waited some time to review this product but how can you tell what something is like when it is new. the trick is to see if it can stand the test of time I am disappointed in this kenwood product as I have several others and have been happy with them I didn't expect this.
Pros: I pod , sirius radio hook up
Cons: rust, volume issue
poor service, defective unit
iphone connection broke on first attempt to install phone, does not work with pandora or any other app. POOR SERVICE FROM KENWOOD. would not recomend this unit.
Cons: poor reception from reciever connections are cheaply made does not work as advertised
Great unit but the screen is very hard to see in sunlight. I have to cover it with my hands inorder to read anything at all.
What's in the box?
- Marine iPod/USB receiver (rubber gasket installed)
- Cover-plate (inside fold-down copartment)
- Hideaway unit (15A fuse installed in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- 10 DIN-cable (with proprietary 13-pin connector on each end)
- Seven 1" screws
- Two 0.5" screws
- Neoprene pouch
- Plastic cable-clipKenwood Music Editor ver.2.2.0 CD-ROM
- Mounting template
- Instruction Manual (Eng)
- Instruction Manual (Fre/Spa)
- Warranty Card
- Attention note
- Caution note
- Correction note
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Marine iPod/USB Receiver: The Kenwood KMR-700U consists of a marine iPod/USB receiver with IPX5 protection and a hide-away amplifier/connection box. The two devices connect to each other using the supplied 10' DIN-cable. The Kenwood KMR-770U marine receiver and hide-away box have a special water-resistant conformal coating placed on the main circuit board to protect the circuitry from the harsh, corrosive marine environment.
Note: This unit is not equipped with a CD player.
Fold-Down Face with Built-in Compartment: The Kenwood KMR700U marine iPod/USB receiver features a manual fold-down face with hidden compartment. Behind the fold-down face is a USB type-A port and an Apple iPod dock connector to connect your USB device or iPod. There is also a compartment behind the fold-down face which allows you to house your connected USB device or iPod/iPhone so it is out of sight and protected from the elements. In addition, there is a neoprene pouch which can be used to cover your portable digital player or iPod to further protect it.
LCD Display with Rotary Encoder: The Kenwood KMR-700U marine iPod/USB receiver features a full-dot white LCD multi-line display and rotary encoder for easy operation. The KMR-700U offers the following display and button illumination settings.
- Illumination Dimmer: Sets whether the key illumination is dimmed in conjunction with the light switch of the vessel or it is dimmed constantly.
- Illumination Effect: Sets whether the key illumination brightness is changed in conjunction with the key operation.
- Display Dimmer: Sets whether the display illumination is dimmed in conjunction with the light switch of the vessel or it is dimmed constantly
- Contrast: You can manually adjust the display contrast from 1-10.
- Positive/Negative Display: You can switch the panel display between positive or negative.
Mosfet Amplifier: The Kenwood KMR-700U's hide-away unit includes a built-in 22-watt x 4-channel (RMS) amplifier.
Dual Zone: The Dual Zone feature allows you to output a different music source to the front and rear channels. You can listen to the tuner, and iPod/USB device, or Auxiliary source from the front-channels, while listening to an iPod/USB device from the rear-channels.
Three 4.0V Preamp Outputs: The Kenwood KMR-700U's hide-away unit features three 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer) for adding external amplifiers. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Front and Rear High-Pass Filter: The KMR-700U features an independent High-Pass Crossover for the front and rear channels when your front and rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from "Through", 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, or 180, 220Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. This feature is very helpful when you have smaller-type speakers in the front and larger-type speakers installed in the rear of the vehicle.
Low-Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the unit's subwoofer preamp output. You can select from 50, 60, 80, 100,120Hz or "Through". The "Through" setting allows your external amplifier's crossover network to do all the filtering for your subwoofer.
Subwoofer Level: You can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level from the CD receiver. You select levels between -15 to +15.
Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
Amp Off: You can turn off the unit's built-in amplifier to improve sound quality when you are connecting and external amplifier to the KMR-700U.
Supreme Setting: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vessel. You may select a Speaker Setting of "SP Off" (flat), "SP OEM" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "SP 6x9/6" (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or "SP 5/4" (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
Sound Control: Seven EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (10kHz). You can choose from the following preset EQ curves - Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, and Game.
Detail Audio Control: The KMR-700 features independent Bass, Treble and Midrange control when the System's Sound Control is in User mode. The Detail Audio Control allows you to adjust the following settings for the Bass, Treble and Mid frequency levels.
- Frequency: 40/50/60/70/80/100/120/150 Hz
- Q-Factor: 1.00/1.25/1.50/2.00
- Bass Extend: On/Off (when this feature is set to "On", the low frequency response is extended by 20%)
- Level: -8 to +8
- Frequency: 0.5/1.0/1.5/2.0 kHz
- Q-Factor: 1.0/2.0
- Level: - 8 to +8
- Frequency: 10/12.5/15.0/17.5 kHz
- Level: -8 to +8
Note: You can register one audio preset to recall for any source.
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for low and high tones during low volume. You can turn this feature either on or off. Only the low tone is compensated for when the tuner is selected as a source.
Volume Offset Control: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +0.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Tuner, Aux, USB, and iPod).
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner for clear radio reception. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. The tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains. The CRSC circuit can be turned on or off.
Favorite Presets: You can register up to 6 favorite preset memory settings which allow you to easily select your favorite AM/FM broadcast stations, Sirius Radio channels (with optional tuner), or iPod playlists. You can custom name is favorite preset.
USB Port: The Kenwood KMR-700U marine iPod /USB receiver features a front-panel USB type-A port located behind the unit's fold-down face-plate. The internal USB 2.0 input is compatible with thumb-drives and external HDDs. Once connected you can place your USB device inside the compartment behind the unit's fold-down face to protect it from the marine environment. The KMR-700U supports AAC (16-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps), and WMA (48-192 kbps) files stored on a USB mass storage class device formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The Kenwood marine iPod/USB receiver can recognize up 500 folders with 4,096 files per folder (15,000 total files). The KMR-700U provides MP3 ID3 Tag information (up to 30 characters), WMA content information (up to 30 characters), and AAC song information (up to 60 characters).
iPod Direct: The Kenwood KMR-700U marine iPod/USB receiver connects seamlessly with most iPod and the iPhones via its built-in iPod dock connector, located behind the unit's fold-down face. Once connected you can place your iPod inside the compartment behind the unit's fold-down face to protect it from the marine environment. The KMR-700U supports iPod/iPhone audio playback, control, information display, and charging. The KMR-700U provides iPod music playback and search features such as Alphabet search, Percentage search, Skip search, Related Search, and Random playback.The Kenwood KMR-700U is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (9/25/2012):
|iPod Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The Kenwood KMR-700U's hide-away unit features a stereo RCA auxiliary input with input sensitivity adjustment. The KMR-700U allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Optional Remote Control: The Kenwood KMR-700U's hide-away unit is equipped with a proprietary remote control port which allows you to add the KCA-RC107MR Wired Marine Remote with LCD Display (113RC107MR, sold separately). The add-on marine wired remote features an LCD display which lets you view source information, so you can mount the KMR-700U marine head unit out of sight. The KCA-RC107MR wired remote allows you to access all major functions of the Kenwood marine receiver, as well as control peripherals like an iPod or satellite radio tuner.
Mounting: The Kenwood KMR-700U consists of two components to mount and install - the marine iPod/USB receiver and the hideaway amplifier/connection unit.
- Marine iPod/USB Receiver: The Marine iPod/USB receiver requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Seven screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A self-adhesive cardboard template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes.
- Hideaway Unit: The hideaway amplifier/connection unit is equipped with two integrated mounting flanges and comes with two self-tapping screws to mount the unit to a flat-surface. The hideaway unit should be installed in a place free from water exposure.
Note: The iPod/USB receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard I-, J-, or E-sized automotive installation.
Connections: The Kenwood KMR-700U's iPod/USB receiver and hideaway unit include various system connections. The iPod/USB receiver and hideaway unit connect to one another's proprietary 13-pin proprietary port using the supplied 10' DIN-cable.
- Hideaway Box: The Kenwood KMR-700U's hideaway unit features three 4-volt preamp outputs, a stereo RCA auxiliary input, a Motorola antenna input, a wired remote control input and Sirius Satellite Radio input. The hideaway box also includes the system's main wiring harness, which includes power, ground, and speaker connections.
- iPod/USB Receiver: The Kenwood KMR-700U iPod/USB receiver features a USB type-A port and Apple iPod dock connector behind its fold-down face-plate, which also includes a compartment to store your connected iPod or USB device.
- Chassis Width = 7.095"
- Chassis Height = 1.975"
- Chassis Depth = 5.875"
- Nose Width = 7.705"
- Nose Height = 3.475"q
- Nose Depth = 1.875"
- Width = 5.5625"
- Height = 1.125"
- Depth = 3.25"
- Width = 9.5625"
- Height = 2.0"
- Depth = 7.25" (including cables and wiring)
Screw Hole Pattern: The marine iPod/USB receiver's faceplate has four mounting holes across the top, above the chassis, and three holes below the chassis for securing the unit to the bulkhead. The screw hole spacing is as follows:
- Top Row:
- Total Width = 6.215"
- Width Between Two Center Holes = 2.865"
- Width Between Center Holes and End Holes = 1.705"
- Bottom Row:
- Total Width = 6.105"
- Width Between Center Hole and End Holes = 2.895"
- Row Height:
- Between Top and Bottom Row = 2.625"
- Screw Depth:
- Screw Mounting Depth = 0.875"
Kenwood Music Editor (Ver.2.2.0): The Kenwood KMR-700U marine iPod/USB receiver comes supplied with a CD-ROM containing Kenwood Music Editor (ver.2.2.0) software. Kenwood Music Editor manages songs (audio files) imported from a music CD with an external program and transfers them to a USB device.
- Manage Audio Files: Manages songs (audio files) imported to your PC for playing on Kenwood car audio.
- Manage Music Information: Stores the information (such as title, album name, artist name) associated with the audio file in the database of this program when importing songs (audio file) with this program. Song information can be changed as necessary.
- Transfer Songs to USB Device: Transfers songs from your PC to a USB device. You can also check and delete songs in the USB device.
System Requirements: The following software and hardware are required to use the Kenwood Music Editor.
- Operating System (OS): Microsoft Windows XP Professional/Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit version), Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit version)
- Other Programs: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, Microsoft Windows Media Player 10/11, QuickTime 7 or later (when using AAC file)
- PC: System requirements that above OS recommends; Hard disk with at least 100MB fee space (other than for audio files)
- USB Interface: USB interface (2.0/1.1)
- USB Device: USB mass storage class support product
- Other Hardware: CD-ROM drive (CD-R/RW drive when writing to CD-R/RW)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Aug 13, 2014 ] Staff