Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Don't let the modest price fool you Kenwood's VR-407 offers 100 watts for all five of your home theater speakers, plus all the processing you need for a complete, state-of-the-art digital A/V system.
Built-in Dolby® Digital and DTS decoding let you enjoy all the sonic thrills of DVD plus an ever-increasing number of satellite and digital TV broadcasts. Once you experience the deep bass and cinematic realism of discrete 5.1-channel surround sound, there's no turning back! You also get Pro Logic™ decoding for the thousands of movies and TV shows in Dolby Surround sound.
The VR-407 has plenty of inputs for all your gear, including 5 S-video inputs for high-resolution video sources, and a convenient front-panel input. And a 5.1-channel input makes this Kenwood ready for future multichannel audio formats.
- Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic decoding
- 4 digital inputs (2 optical, 2 coaxial)
- 3 audio and 5 A/V (including 5 S-video, 1 front-panel, and one 5.1-channel) inputs
- 100 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (40-20,000 Hz) at 0.7% THD or 100 watts x 5 in home theater mode
- preamp-level subwoofer output
- multibrand remote control
- 40 AM/FM presets
- FM sensitivity 15.2 dBf
- 17-5/16"W x 5-1/8"H x 13-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Kenwood VR-407 Reviews
What's in the box?
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RC-R0609 wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Instruction manual
- Remote control instruction manual
- Warranty card
- Sheet with Kenwood support telephone number
- Manual correction sheet
Features and Specs
- Subwoofer: You can select YES or NO (if NO is selected front loudspeakers are automatically set to LARGE)
- Front loudspeakers: You can select NORMAL (small) or LARGE.
- Center loudspeaker: If you have selected LARGE as the front loudspeaker size, you can select NORMAL (small), LARGE, or NO for the center speaker. If NORMAL is selected for the front loudspeakers, you can select YES (small) or NO for the center speaker.
- Surround: If you selected LARGE for the center speaker, you can select NORMAL (small), LARGE, or NO for the surround speakers. If you selected anything but LARGE for the center speaker, you can select YES (small) or NO for the surround loudspeakers.
- Test Tone: Allows you to set the volume level of each channel (Front Left, Center Speaker, Right Front, Subwoofer, Surround left and Surround Right loudspeaker).
- Front Speaker Distance Setting: May be set from 1-30 feet.
- Center Speaker Distance Setting: May be set from 1-30 feet.
- Surround Speaker Distance Setting: May be set from 1-30 feet.
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby 3 Stereo: for systems without surround speakers, surround information is redirected to left and right loudspeakers
Bass and treble:
controls are electronic (+/-10dB)
Input level adjustment (Analog sources only): Allows you to adjust input level independently for each analog source (can select 0, -3 or -6). Note that unit has a clip indicator light which will light when an input is clipping.
Input mode settings:
The CD, DVD, Video2, and Video3 inputs have jacks for both digital and analog
input. You must select which of the two inputs are to be used (factory default
is digital). If you select the digital input, you can select between (a) Auto
sound: Unit automatically selects between Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM based
on the input signal and the speaker setting, or (b) D-Manual: Where the
user must select between Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM.
Amplifier: Exclusive KAM-1 high efficiency design
Speaker Selection: The unit's display shows an icon which displays selected speakers.
Dimmer: You can select one of three display brightness levels.
Source direct: For the best sound, this will bypass surround, tone, etc.
P Call: This allows you to quickly scan tuner stations you have preset by holding down the P.Scan buttons (<</>>), available on both the unit and the remote.
5.1 Channel Input: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital and DTS processing, it also has a 5.1 channel input for use with external multi-channel decoders, including potential future units such as DVD Audio players.
The remote controls Kenwood A/V
components and is multibrand for VCRs, Televisions, DBS, LaserDisc
Players, DVDs, Cable Boxes, CD Players, Cassette Decks, and MiniDisc
Players. For brands which this unit can control please see
the remote manual.
Inputs and Outputs
- AV Aux: RCA video and stereo inputs, S-video input
- DVD input: Coax digital input (Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM)
- Video 2 input: Coax digital input (Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM)
- CD/DVD input: Toslink input (Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM)
- Video 3 input: Toslink input (Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM)
- Antenna inputs: FM Coax (slip on only, not screw on) and AM spring clip antenna inputs
- Phono (MM) input: RCA stereo input and ground thumbscrew
- CD/DVD input: RCA stereo input, S-video and RCA composite video inputs
- MD/Tape input and output: RCA stereo input and output
- Monitor input and output: RCA stereo input and output (monitor loop)
- Video 1 (input and output): RCA stereo input and output; S-video and RCA composite video inputs and outputs
- Video 2: RCA stereo input, S-video and RCA composite video inputs
- Video 3: RCA stereo input, S-video and RCA composite video inputs
- Monitor output (out to TV): S-video and RCA composite outputs
- Subwoofer Pre Out: RCA mono output
- System control outputs (SL16): two female stereo mini outputs
- AC outlets: 2 switched AC outlets (150w, 1.25A max total)
- DVD/6 channel input: 5.1 CH Input consisting of left and right front and rear, center and subwoofer RCA inputs for use with external multi channel decoders (for video use, it is used with any of the DVD Video inputs on the unit)
- Front speakers (A): left and right binding post outputs (collar prevents use of spade lugs and it is not compatible with dual banana plugs, so this is not a five-way post)
- Center speaker: left and right binding post outputs (collar prevents use of spade lugs and it is not compatible with dual banana plugs, so this is not a five-way post)
- Front speakers (B): left and right spring clip outputs
- Surround speakers: left and right spring clip outputs
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.