Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood's 25th Anniversary Excelon XXV-03A amplifier offers impressive power ratings, hands-on controls, and advanced digital features that redefine what an amplifier can do for your music. Kenwood built this amp with the finest components available it's a fitting tribute to 25 years of Kenwood mobile audio innovation and excellence.
This mono masterpiece will fire up your subwoofer system with up to 1000 watts of RMS power. But there's more to the story than just brute force. Beneath the amp's gloss black exterior, you'll find matched aluminum electrolytic capacitors and high-speed output transistors, both specially selected by Kenwood for their superior audio performance.
Extra large circuit paths on the amp's glass epoxy circuit boards maximize current handling for outstanding performance. An onboard fan means plenty of cool, efficient power to drive your sub, while the built-in filters optimize the amp's output.
You also get unprecedented control over every aspect of your sound from the bass center frequency to the overall character of your bass all of which can be monitored from the top-mounted LED display. Plus, if you have an Kenwood Excelon stereo in your car, you can adjust the amplifier settings with the stereo's front panel controls no more trips to the trunk when you're tweaking the sound.
- mono subwoofer car amplifier
- 533 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (919 watts x 1 at 2 ohms)
- 1000 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm (1 ohm stable)
- variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz at 24 dB per octave)
- subsonic filter (24 dB at 15 or 25 Hz )
- bass boost circuit (-15 to +15 dB, selectable at 60, 80, 100, or 200 Hz)
- band reject filter (40-200 Hz, selectable for 6 or 12dB/octave)
- Amplifier Management System (A.M.S.) with compatible Kenwood receivers and eXcelon amps
- LED status displays
- Class D design
- CEA-2006 compliant
- preamp inputs and outputs
- fuse rating: 25A x 3
- 4-gauge power and ground leads with 80-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 15-1/8"W x 2-7/16"H x 10-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
My system has plenty of power. Who needs an amp?
You might think you don't need an amp because you have a 400-watt system in your car, or because your new stereo puts out 50 watts a channel. But those are peak wattage ratings, which may boil down to 15 or 20 watts per channel, using the more realistic RMS rating. An amp sends your speakers the power they need to deliver your music with clarity and impact, whether you're using factory speakers or high-performance components. And low-frequency reproduction requires lots of power, so an amp is an absolute must if you're adding a sub to your system.
Kenwood 25th Anniversary XXV-03A Reviews
Average Customer Review:
This is one of the best AMPs I have ever purchased. I got two of them I liked it so much just so I could really hurt the cops feelings when i am cruising in my 2005 Armada. I have had to tighten everything up in the car 4 times so far and that is just the beginning I wear earplugs because it tickles my nose and ear drums. I am running a 1 farad cap with 2 Kicker L5 4OHMS 12" yes L5 and they are banging backs out. They are each pushing 1000watts(can you say deaf by 35) My truck is very happy.
Hope this will help people out...though it is an expensive amp, it is a Class D and is worth every penny...i have this powering a 12" Kicker L7 in 2 Ohm mode, at 919 Watts RMS, and let me tell u its setting off alarms in the other side of the street...if you want serious bass out of w/e u have, this is the way to go, it will run great at 2Ohm and it runs great in 1Ohm aswell....in 1 ohm, u get over 1000 watts rms, and im sure it will set alarms off aswell, but i cant crank it that high because the sub rms' at 700ish....great amp, worth the money, recomended to anyone looking at it....
What's in the box?
- Mono amplifier
- Control cover
- Rubber terminal cover
- 4 Phillips-head self-tapping screws (M5 x 18mm)
- 4 Allen-head screws (M4 x 8mm)
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Instruction Manual (English/Spanish/French)
- Warranty card
- 25th Anniversary card
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
533 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||1600 x 1|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||919 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||1|
|Best Frequency Response||5-200 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||-15 to +15dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz|
|Fuse Rating||25 x 3|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
25th Anniversary: The Kenwood eXcelon XXV-03A amplifier is part of a special series of car stereo components to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Kenwood Car Electronics. These products are specially designed and tuned for superior audio performance. In addition, this amplifier features gold-plated input/output terminals, a glass epoxy circuit board, and a detachable brushed aluminum cover plate.
Class D Amplifier Design: The XXV-03A is a Class D mono-block amplifier, which uses digital switching to amplify audio signals. This design results in high efficiency and less heat.
1-Ohm Stable: This amplifier is capable of handling a 1-ohm load. You can drive two 2-ohm speakers, or four 4-ohm speakers in parallel with this amp. There are two sets of speaker outputs that are wired internally in parallel, making it easier to connect multiple speakers.
LED Status Display: The top-mounted LED display can be adjusted to show any of the following information:
- Voltage: indicates the source voltage
- Current: indicates the current consumption
- Temperature: indicates the internal temperature
- Fan: indicates the rotation speed of the cooling fan in 3 steps: Fast, Slow, or Off
Amplifier Management System (A.M.S.): The XXV-03A is compatible with 2004 or later Kenwood head units that feature an LX-Bus connection and the Amplifier Management System. When connected via a control cable (item #469KNWDIN) and standard S-Video cables (for 2-way remote operation), you can perform the following:
- Daisy Chaining Amplifiers: Up to 7 additional A.M.S.-compatible Kenwood eXcelon amps can be connected together and controlled by the head unit. The "master" amp is assigned the ID # 0, and subsequent amps are assigned ID #s 1-7 to give you independent amp control.
- Amp Adjustments: Using the
display and menu control on the top of the amplifier, the following settings
can be adjusted for each connected amplifier:
- Bass Center Frequency: select 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz
- Bass Gain: set between -15 and +15
- Bass Q Factor: select between 1.00, 1.25, 1.50 and 2.00
- Bass Extension: turn on or off; when on the low frequency response is extended by 20%
- Volume Offset: adjusts the volume compared to other connected amps
- Temperature Mode: select display mode of temperature measurement between Fahrenheit or Celsius.
- Default Values: resets all values to the initial (default) values
- Display: The following can
be displayed on the compatible head unit for each amplifier:
- Amplifier Status: source voltage, current consumption, internal temperature (°F or °C), rotation speed of cooling fan (Fast/Slow/Off)
- ID Number: the ID number assigned to the amplifier you have selected
- Error Status: When a connected amplifier fails, the amp number and the error status message are displayed
Line Level Output: The amplifier has a pair of gold-plated line level outputs for feeding a full-range stereo signal to another amplifier. It is the same signal that is input through the line inputs. The amplifier's crossovers have no effect on the line level output signal.
Ground Isolation Circuit: This circuit cancels noise from the input of the negative side of the RCA cable, preventing vehicle electrical noise from interfering with the music. The amp has a ground screw located near the line inputs for use with RCA cables with ground leads.
Low-Pass Filter: The XXV-03A has a built-in 24dB/octave low-pass filter that is continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz.
Infrasonic Filter: This amp features a 24dB/octave Infrasonic Filter. Ultra-low frequencies that cannot be reproduced by a subwoofer do not become sound but become unnecessary oscillations, which affect sound by causing distortion. These frequencies also waste amplifier power and can cause damage to speakers. Setting the Infrasonic filter switch to 15Hz or 25Hz cuts the frequencies below the respective frequency to improve the reproduction performance of the speakers by eliminating harmful distortion.
Band Reject Filter: The XXV-03A has a variable 40-200Hz band reject filter which can reduce standing waves and resonance in the vehicle compartment caused by certain frequencies. You can select a 6dB/oct or 12dB/oct slope, or turn the filter off. Note: It is recommended that a signal generator or spectrum analyzer be used to accurately determine the peak frequency to be filtered out.
Phase Inverter: The amp has a switch that allows you to invert the phase of the speaker output. You can select 0° or 180°.
Protection Circuitry: The amplifier has the protection circuits and will shut itself down in case of the following events:
- Speaker output contacts vehicle ground
- Speaker wire short-circuits
- Unit malfunctions and DC is sent to speaker output
- Internal temperature is too high
- Voltage gets out of operating range
Controls: The amplifier controls are located on the top of the unit. The brushed aluminum plate can be removed to give you access to the control panel. The controls include:
- Input Sensitivity: rotary dial for matching the preamp output voltage of the connected head unit (0.2 to 5.0 Volts)
- LPF Frequency: rotary dial for setting the frequency of the amp's low pass filter (50-200Hz)
- B.R.F Frequency: rotary dial for setting the frequency of the band reject filter (40-200Hz)
- Amp Control: 2-way on/off switch; On position allows you to control the sound with Amplifier Control, Off position bypasses the Amplifier Control circuit.
- Phase: 2-way switch for selecting the phase of the speaker output (0° or 180°)
- B.R.F.: 3-way switch for selecting the slope of the band reject filter (-12dB, -6dB, or Off)
- I.S.F.: 2-way on/off switch for the infrasonic filter
- I.S.F. Frequency: 2-way switch for selecting the frequency of the infrasonic filter (25Hz or 15Hz)
- ID Number Switch (located on front side of amp): rotary dial (slotted screwdriver required) for setting the Identification Number for amplifier control from a head unit
Inputs and Outputs: All of the inputs and outputs are conveniently located on the front side of the amplifier. The inputs and outputs include:
- Fuses: Three 25-amp fuses
- BATT (Power): gold-plated screw terminal (0.559" wide)
- GND (Ground): gold-plated screw terminal (0.559" wide)
- P.CON (remote turn-on): gold-plated screw terminal (0.345" wide)
- Speaker Outputs: gold-plated screw terminals (0.345" wide) for two speakers (Note: These are not stereo outputs, but mono outputs wired internally in parallel.)
- GND: Philips-head screw for RCA signal ground
- To H/U (Head Unit): Round 13-pin jack for connecting control cable (item #469KNWDIN) to head unit for amplifier control
- Remote: Two S-Video jacks for connecting slave amplifiers
- Line Input: gold-plated RCA inputs
- Line Output: gold-plated RCA outputs
CEA-2006 Compliance: The specifications given by Kenwood for the XXV-03A amplifier comply with the new CEA-2006 Amplifier Power Standard from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Specs:
- Power Output at 4 ohms: 533 watts x 1 (<1% THD+N @14.4 V)
- Power Output at 2 ohms: 919 watts x 1 (<1% THD+N @14.4 V)
- Rated Power Output (at 12.0
- At 4 ohms: 300 watts x 1 (20Hz-200Hz, 0.5% THD)
- At 2 ohms: 600 watts x 1 (100Hz, 0.5% THD)
- Rated Power Output (at
- at 4 ohms: 400 watts x 1 (20Hz-200Hz, 0.5% THD)
- at 2 ohms: 800 watts x 1 (100Hz, 0.5% THD)
- at 1 ohm: 1000 watts x 1 (100Hz, 1.0% THD)
- Max Power Output at 4 ohms: 1600 watts
- Input impedance: 10k ohms
- Operating voltage: 14.4 V (11-16 V allowable)
- Current Consumption: 55A
- Weight: 8.97pounds
Wiring Kit Information: This amplifier uses three 25-amp fuses, so its total fuse rating is 75 amps. The Streetwires 4-gauge amp wiring kits include an 80-amp fuse, which will accommodate the amp's fuse rating. Other 4-gauge amp wiring kits carried by Crutchfield include a 60-amp fuse. If you are using a 4-gauge amp wiring kit with a fuse rated for less than 75 amps, the fuse should be replaced with an 80-amp AGU fuse (please see accessory list).
Warranty Note: This amplifier comes with a 1 year warranty card, but the actual warranty is 2 years.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.