Item #: 130AVICN4
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $799.99
Pioneer's AVIC-N4 will handle it all music, movies, and navigation and it's ready to take it's place at the heart of your complete car audio system. Plus, Pioneer designed the AVIC-N4 to fit into a standard DIN-sized radio opening, giving you mximum features and flexibility from a 2" tall stereo.
Enter navigation information or access music and video menus with the AVIC-N4's 7" motorized video touchscreen and easy-to-use controls. Pioneer includes a handy remote control, and you can connect the AVIC-N4 into your steering wheel audio controls with an optional adapter. Add Pioneer's optional iPod® adapter to enjoy fast, direct control of your iPod's music and video playback the screen replicates familiar controls, so you can get to your favorite songs or videos with ease.
Music and video
You can play discs loaded with your favorite MP3, WMA, or AAC music files in the AVIC-N4. You can add an optional USB input for connectivity to many digital players and memory storage devices, while the two AV inputs lets you connect everything from your camera to a satellite radio. Optional satellite radio tuners let you add the vast variety of XM or SIRIUS programming into the mix.
The AVIC-N4 boasts dual-zone operation, so you can connect an additional video monitor and entertain your back-seat passenger with DVD programming while the front seat enjoys listening to another source.
Precise navigation for accurate directions
Just load either the of the included map DVDs into the receiver, choose your destination, and the memory navigation feature remembers your course and a few alternate routes. You can then remove the DVD and enjoy a CD or DVD while still receiving directions. Once you're on your way, voice prompts through your car's speakers help you find the next turn without having to glance down at the screen.
The included DVD-ROMs give you access to a large database with almost 12 million searchable points of interest, including easy-to-scan brand icons for your favorite chain stores and restaurants. You can search by category or telephone number to find a destination when you have limited information.
Add a compatible XM NavTraffic radio and subscribe to XM's innovative NavTraffic service. You'll receive continuously updated traffic information in 40 major metropolitan areas, including traffic accident alerts, road closure info, plus the average speed of traffic on the roads along the route you're navigating. You'll be able to plot new routes around congestion to get where you need to go with little delay.
Pioneer also offers you a Roadside Assistance package that lets you access emergency contact information by pressing a button. The screen shows your exact location, including latitude and longitude readings, so you'll be able to direct emergency personnel.
Add the optional Pioneer Bluetooth adapter to enjoy hands-free use of your Bluetooth phone through the AVIC-N4. Your audio will mute automatically when you're receiving a call, and you'll hear the caller through your car's speakers. You can even stream A2DP audio from your phone through your speakers for an added music source.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for the adapter for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- DVD/CD player with navigation and internal amp (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- fits standard-sized DIN (2" tall) dash openings (hideaway box also must be installed)
- 7" motorized LCD video screen with touchscreen controls
- optional wireless remote control
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, DVDs, DVD-R/RWs, DivX, AAC, WMA, and MP3 discs
- dual-zone audio/video output
- 3-band parametric EQ
- 5 preset EQ curves
- AM/FM tuner
- 18 FM/6 AM presets
- GPS navigation (includes GPS antenna and map DVD-ROM)
- 12 million points of interest (hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc.), with Brand Icons for many popular chain stores and restaurants
- telephone search, category search, and more
- voice prompts through stereo speakers with mute
- compatible with Pioneer XM and SIRIUS satellite radios, USB adapter, CD changers, iPod adapters
- plays both audio and video from iPod (cable required)
- inputs: 2 AV inputs, minijack input for steering-wheel controls, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 3 sets of preamp outputs
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
Other features and specs:
- multiple display colors
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why install a car stereo with built-in GPS?
Imagine taking a trip as your car's receiver gives you directions, finds the best restaurant for dinner, and plays movies for your back seat denizens. Navigation receivers cover all the bases, with GPS guidance, DVD playback, and a host of other useful features. You can search through millions of points of interest to locate gas stations, restaurants, museums, and other interesting spots, wherever you are. Most receivers offer Bluetooth capability for hands-free calling, along with the ability to search through your iPod playlists with touchscreen controls.
Pioneer AVIC-N4 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This product was great at first, yes you have to buy things seprerately but i paid good money for all this and expected it to last! In a year the screen quit coming out and the radio completely quit working! Call Pioneer for them to say its out of warranty and i will have to pay 200 bucks plus shipping and handling for them to fix it and wait 6-8 weeks!!! Thats just unappreciative of the consumer.
Good Product...Great service
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I bought this unit to fit a 1998 Viper, simply because ther were no other choices that had the options this unit offers.
The open box unit arrived VERY quickly and regretfully was DOA. No problem as Crutchfield's AAAAA+ service department immediately dispatched (via 2-day air)another brand new unit out directly sent to my installer, at no extra charge to me for anything, including my shiping the dead one back.
Apparently the professional install of this unit, in a extremely cramped Viper, is no easy task, hence it would be unfair of me to generally label it as a difficult install for other vehicles.
I like this unit just fine and would recommend it to anyone. Though my experience with Crutchfield's sales and service was absolutely perfect.
do not buy this unit. U do not get anything with it and pioneer wants you to buy everything separately. I don't like the unit and at this point the
negatives far outweight the positive. next time I will keep it simple.
I don't understand why people like this unit
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
So I did all my research on this product, and bought it. Now, having had it for 2 months, I really don't understand why people like this product so much.
My real problem with this device is it's user interface. I have owned 6 different GPS systems in my life (aftermarket and OEM), and quite frankly this is probably the worst of the 6. Maybe 5th, but that would be beating my first one, in a 2002 model with no touchscreen and horrible graphics. By far, my $300 aftermarket Garmin nuvi 760 is actually 300% better than the interface. Why? It requires a lot of extra clicks, and it's not intuitive at all. If it's your only car and you have patience to learn it, I'm sure you can. But why? For example going up and down presets are incredibly complicated, and it can easily toggle itself into scan mode, which would make the presets not work.
From what I see, there are better options.
Finally, if you want to disregard my advice, and buy it. Installation was tricky, but I'm not usually a do-it-yourselfer. I was able to get through it, and if you follow the directions close enough, you will too.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
DO NOT BUY!!! If you want to use the Ipod classic or Ipod touch. This product will NOT!!! work.
Revue For NVIC-N4
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Although this is not a typical do-it-yourself project, if one is careful and follows instructions you can work through the installation just fine. Larger vehicles such as SUV's and extended cab pickups have more room than my cramped Silverado 3500 standard cab dump truck, however, through careful planning and measurements one can make a quality installation. Pay particular attention to your vehicle's column mounted gear selector as it may interfer with the opening and closing of the display when in "PARK." This is not a big deal because the screen can be set to manually open and close when the shift lever is out of the way.
I purchased the USB Adapter, Bluetooth Adater, and rear view camera along with the AVIC-N4. Each unit works with the primary unit flawlessly, and I especially like the USB feature because it enables me to use a thumb drive or MP3 player to store and play all of my music hassle free. The NAVI feature works perfectly, and the CD/DVD feature has excellent sound and image quality. The rear view camera works well in day or night lighting and allows me to keep an eye on my trailer and equipment while still having the map up and running.
All in all this unit was well worth the money, and the deep Crutchfield discount and expert advice go a long way to making this an enjoyable experience.
Overall this unit is
One thing I don't
like about the POI
search is there
isn't a way to sort
I have a D3 and this
prompted me to
purchase this unit
as my Eurovan didn't
have double DIN.
hideaway box was
problematic in the
Eurovan; but I would
anticipate this in a
normal car. Just
I've got bluetooth,
backup camera and
ipod add-ons. They
were all very easy
to incorporate into
the system. I've
noticed a little
engine whine with
the ipod adapter and
have the same
problem with my D3.
I'm not a fan of
the ipod video
integration as it's
hit or miss if the
video will actually
play in the N4, but
is fine on the D3.
Pioneer was no help
in explaining why
Having done a lot of
research I find the
N4 to be a superior
unit for the cost
compared to what's
I had unit installed with bluetooth, xm and camera. All work great. I have an apple iPhone and it works great! I was not able to download contacts (phonebook). The weakness on Pioneer's part is: there isn't a way to enter and save names and phone #'s manually to create your own phone book. Navagation touch screen and voice instructions are superior. Understands users voice with no training.
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great product, Has more bells and whistles then you will probably use in a single road trip. If you purchase this model make sure you get all the add on's for this unit. It makes the functionality much easier to use. The only draw back I have found is while moving certain features are locked out, for safety reasons I am sure. But all in all a great unit
i pod problem
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Same problem wish inew this before i bought it. what ipod wil work with video.
I have this unit for my 07 Dodge Charger and it is great. The Nav system is very useful and is clear when giving directions. The iPod connection is easy to use if you are organized in iTunes and are only putting music that you will listen to on it. (Hint:Keep organize and use the Genre in iTunes). The only problem I have is sometimes the unit will get itself lost and will need to reset itself while you are driving. Other then that, THIS IS A GREAT UNIT.
things not mentioned
2001 Ford Expedition
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
iPOD feature only works on older iPODs. I am not able to use the iPOD because the iPOD is newer than the N4. Didn't know that you couldn't watch DVD's while the car was in motion.
What's in the box?
- DVD/CD/MP3/GPS navigation receiver with 7" touch-panel video monitor
- Detachable control panel (installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- 2 Metal side brackets (installed on unit)
- 4 Sleeve screws (mounted on unit)
- 2 Bracket screws (mounted on unit)
- Hideaway unit
- Power wiring harness (has in-line noise filter/10A fuse and two fuse resistors)
- Preamp output harness
- 16.25' Speed signal extension lead (pink wire)
- 10' 30-pin cable (has a 30-pin connector on each end)
- 9.75' Extension antenna cable (has a male Motorola plug on one end and a female Motorola plug on the other end)
- 16.25' Reverse signal extension lead (purple/white wire/has in-line fuse resistor)
- GPS antenna with attached 16.25' cord
- 2-3/4" x 2-3/4" self-adhesive metal sheet (for mounting GPS antenna)
- 5 Self-adhesive clamps
- Self-adhesive waterproof pad
- Pink plastic wire connector
- Plastic pointer
- 2 Metal side brackets
- Rubber bushing
- Rear support stud
- 4 Hex/Phillips-head self-tapping screws
- 4 Hex/Phillips-head machine bolts (each screw has a flat washer)
- 4 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 4 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- 4 Machine screws
- 2 Fixing screws
- 2 Metal mounting brackets
- Soft carrying pouch for detachable control panel
- 17.75" Self-adhesive foam gasket
- USA/Canada (East) DVD-ROM (Version 1.0) in jewel case
- USA/Canada (West) DVD-ROM (Version 1.0) in jewel case
- Quick Start Guide
- Operation Manual
- Installation Manual (English/French)
- Warranty sheet
- "Warning" sheet concerning battery connection
- Registration card
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||50-15kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Preamp Voltage||1.7 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue/Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||---|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Detachable Control Panel: To prevent theft, the control panel can be detached. The unit comes with a soft carrying pouch for the control panel when detached.
Motorized Video Display: This unit is equipped with a motorized 6.5" color TFT active matrix, widescreen LCD that serves as a video monitor and system information display. The display has a 16:9 aspect ratio, and a resolution of 1440 x 234 for a total of 336,960 pixels.
Touch Screen Controls: This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The screen is non-glare and smudge-resistant.
Display Angle and Position Adjustment: You can adjust the display's angle for better visibility. You can choose the LCD panel's angle between 50° and 110°. When the LCD panel is upright and it hinders the operation of the air conditioner, the position of the panel can be turned horizontal temporarily. The LCD panel's forward position can also be adjusted. When the Flap Setback is activated, the LCD panel retracts approximately 1/2".
Auto Flap: When this feature is active, the display automatically opens when the ignition switch is turned on and closes when the ignition switch is turned off.
Display Adjustment: You can adjust the display's brightness, contrast, color, hue and dimmer. In addition you can adjust the background of the on-screen display from White, Blue, Yellow, Red or Green. You can also adjust the unit's button illumination from Blue or Red.
Backlight On/Off: By turning off the backlight of the LCD screen, you can turn off the screen display without turning off the audio or voice guidance.
Sub Display: When the LCD panel is closed, a 10-character sub display on the detachable control panel shows the current time or source information (radio frequency, CD track/time). The sub display turns off when the LCD panel is in the open position.
Aspect Ratio Modes: You can choose from the following 4:3 and 16:9 settings.
- 4:3 Modes:
choose from the following 4:3 modes:
- 16:9: wide screen picture (16:9) is displayed as normal
- Letter Box: the picture is in the shape of a letter box with black bands at the top and bottom of the screen
- Pan Scan: the picture is cut short at the right and left of the screen
- Widescreen Modes: You can
choose from the following widescreen modes:
- Full: a 4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only, enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions
- Just: the picture is enlarged slightly at the center and the amount of enlargement increases horizontally toward the ends of the picture
- Zoom: a 4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen
- Cinema: a picture is enlarged by the same proportion as Full or Zoom in the horizontal direction and by an intermediate proportion between Full and Zoom in the vertical direction
- Normal: a 4:3 picture is displayed as it is
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
Easy EQ Curves: This model features 7 preset EQ curves: Super Bass, Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Custom 1/2, and Flat. The Custom 1/2 curves allow you to create and store EQ settings in memory. A separate Custom curve can be created and stored in memory for each source.
3-Band Parametric Equalizer: This unit includes a 3-band parametric EQ with Selectable Q Factor. You may select a low (40Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 160Hz), mid (200kHz, 500kHz, 1kHz, or 2kHz) and high frequency (3.15kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, or 12.5kHz) to boost or cut within a range of -12dB to +12dB. The Q factor (slope of the boost or cut) may be selected from one of the following four options: 2N (narrow), 1N, 1W and 2W (wide). Selecting a narrow (steep) Q factor results in frequencies around the center frequency to be affected less by the boost or cut than they are with a wide Q factor. This feature is useful for taming frequency response problems caused by the dimensions, materials and speaker locations of a vehicle.
Adjustable Loudness: You can select one of three different levels of loudness compensation. A "low" loudness contour provides a +3.5dB boost at 100Hz and +3dB boost at 10kHz. A "mid" boost is +10dB (100Hz) and +6.5dB (10kHz). A "high" loudness contour is +11dB at both 100Hz and 10kHz. Note: These Loudness contours use a reference volume level of -30dB.
Simulated Sound Stage: You can select a desired audio effect from various simulate sound stages such as Music Studio, Dynamic Theater, Actor's Stage or Living Room. You can also adjust the listening position from Center, Right or Left for a better sound stage experience.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged.
High-pass Filter: When you don't want sound in the subwoofer frequency range output from the front and rear speakers, you may activate the built-in high-pass filter. You may select a filter frequency of 50Hz, 80Hz, or 125Hz.
Subwoofer/Non-fading Preouts: In addition to the front and rear preamp outputs, there is one set of outputs that may be set for "subwoofer" or "non-fading" output. When set to "non-fading", the signal is full-range and the output level is user selectable from -6 to +6. When set to "subwoofer", the outputs are non-fading, and they may be set for normal or reverse phase, 50Hz/80Hz/125Hz low-pass output, and the level is user selectable from -6 to +6.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono.
Optional Aux Input: When used with item 130CDRB10 (sold separately) or item 130CDRB20 (sold separately), this unit can accept input from an auxiliary source, such as a portable CD or MD player. When item 130CDRB10 is used, a CD changer cannot be connected to this unit. Item 130CDRB20 allows you to connect an optional Pioneer CD changer and an auxiliary source to this unit.
Cellular Mute: This feature mutes or attenuates the unit's audio output when a cellular call is received, then restores the level once the call is over. To use this feature, you must have a cellular phone with a muting output that can be connected to the muting input wire (yellow/black lead) of this unit.
Optical Digital Output: The optical digital output (proprietary connection) on the rear of the head unit allows you to connect an optional Pioneer digital audio processor.
Rear Display: You can select what images are output from the rear A/V output. When the navigation screen is displayed on the unit's display, you can select either the navigation display or a selected source on a connected rear monitor. When the selected source has no visual image, nothing is displayed on the rear monitor. If you are using the Memory Navi feature, you can insert a DVD movie for rear seat entertainment.
Rear View Camera: The head unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera In jack) when a rear camera is installed on your vehicle. When the shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera. You can also see the image of the rear view camera during normal driving, allowing you to keep an eye on a trailer or boat you may be towing.
Multi-Disc Compatible: The Pioneer AVIC-N4 supports the following disc formats: DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW.
MP3 Playback: This unit can play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R and DVD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. MP3 files with a bit rate from 8-320 kbps are supported. Each disc can have a maximum of 8 tiers and each folder can have a maximum of 255 files.
WMA Playback: In addition, this unit can play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R and DVD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats encoded by Windows Media Player version 7, 7.1, 8, 9 and 10. WMA files with a bit rate from 5-320 kbps are supported. Each disc can have a maximum of 8 tiers and each folder can have a maximum of 255 files.
AAC Playback: This unit can also play AAC files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R and DVD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats encoded by iTunes version 4.6. AAC files with a bit rate from 8-320 kbps are supported. Each disc can have a maximum of 8 tiers and each folder can have a maximum of 255 files.
DivX Playback: This unit will play DivX files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R and DVD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. This unit corresponds to DivX video format implemented in relation to DivX standards but does not correspond to DivX Ultras standards. DivX files without video data cannot be recognized as a DivX file. This unit supports a maximum DivX image size of 720 x 576 pixels and DivX file content up to 4GB.
Auto CD Title: Title lists will automatically be displayed when a CD TEXT, MP3, WMA or AAC disc is played back.
Direct Search: You can directly access a specific location by entering a chapter number, title number, or elapsed time.
Multi-angle Display: With DVDs featuring multi-angle (scenes shot from multiple angles) recordings, you can switch among viewing angles during playback.
Fast Scan: When playing a DVD or CD, you have one fast scan speed in either direction.
Slow Motion: This feature allows slow motion playback in the forward direction only. You can choose from 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2.
Frame-By-Frame: This feature lets you move ahead one frame at a time during playback of a DVD disc.
Repeat Playback: When playing a disc, you can repeat the entire disc, current track, chapter or current title.
Resume Playback: Before ejecting a disc, you can press the on-screen Return button to memorize the current playback location. If you insert the disc again and touch Resume, playback of a disc resumes at the same point you stopped previously. To delete the recorded position, touch and hold Resume with the disc stopped.
Note: If the DVD has a standard or widescreen menu option, the resume playback feature may not work correctly.
Parental Lock: Some DVD-Video discs let you use parental lock to restrict the viewing of violent and adult oriented scenes by children. You can set the parental lock in 8 levels protected by a 4 digit password.
DVD Navigation Maps: The Pioneer AVIC-N4 in-dash navigation system comes with two DVD-ROMs containing a large Tele Atlas database, enabling the unit to provide an extensive network of turn-by-turn routable roads. The unit's extremely fast processor calculates multiple routes and provides directions to destinations via the graphic map interface and voice guidance. In addition, the unit has access to 12-million points of interest throughout the United States and the nearest gas stations, restaurants, hotels or ATMs. The AVIC-N4 is compatible with specific DVD-ROM navigation map discs only and cannot play standard DVD-ROM discs.
XM NavTraffic Ready: XM NavTraffic, powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, allows the unit to monitor real-time traffic conditions and routes the driver to the destination avoiding traffic congestion, using the optional GEX-P10XMT XM NavTraffic Satellite Radio tuner. The traffic information is provided through a continuous satellite broadcast with data from leading commercial traffic data providers, government departments of transportation, police and emergency services, road sensors, cameras, and airborne reports. Separate subscriptions to XM Radio and XM NavTraffic are required.
Stock Prices: In addition to XM NavTraffic, you can receive stock price, sports, news, horoscopes, and other information and display it on the screen when the unit is connected to an XM Satellite tuner. You can display the prices of up to 12 stocks.
City Map: When driving in a city, the detailed city map is indicated if the map scale is set to 0.05 mi (50 m) or lower (only those cities whose detailed city maps are registered in the map disc).
Voice Guidance: In addition to graphical directions, the AVIC-N4 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions.
Memory Navi Mode: While the map disc is inserted, you can store the data on the map disc into the memory of the navigation unit. If the map disc is removed from the navigation unit after the data is stored, navigation is performed using the data in the memory (Memory Navi mode). During the Memory Navi mode, navigation is performed only using the data read into the memory. Therefore, some functions are restricted compared with navigation using the map disc (DVD navi mode). In the Memory Navi mode, you can play a music CD or DVD video on the navigation unit while navigation is taking place.
Navigation Display Modes: There are four types of map display and two additional view modes:
Map View: displays the standard map
Driver's View: displays the map from the driver's viewpoint
Guide View: the map of your surroundings is shown on the left, and an arrow indicating the direction of travel is shown on the right
Route View: displays the name of the street you will next travel along and an arrow indicating the direction of travel
Vehicle Dynamics Display: displays three instruments that indicate the status of your vehicle. You can change the values displayed by the instruments on the left and right of the Sensor View, allowing you to choose from the following: voltage, acceleration, side acceleration, angular velocity, slope, direction, or clock
Rear View: If you have installed a rear view camera, and the camera is set to "On", the rear view image is displayed on the left-hand side of the screen, while the map of your surroundings is indicated on the right
Enlarged Map of the Intersection: When "Close-up of Junction" in the Settings menu is On, an enlarged map of the junction appears while driving.
Scroll Mode: Touching anywhere on the map for at least 2 seconds changes the map to Scroll mode and the map begins scrolling in the direction you touched. The scrolling stops when you remove your finger from the screen. At this time, the cross pointer appears at the center of the screen. Also, a line connecting between the current location and cross pointer appears.
Location Information: An icon appears at registered places (home location, specific places, address book entries) and places where there is a POI icon. Place the cross pointer over the icon to view detailed information.
Destination Input: The Destination Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination:
- Point Of Interest (POI): you can search for a Point Of Interest by selecting the category or entering the Point Of Interest name. Additionally, selected Points Of Interest in a certain category can be shown on the map, and you can check the location on the display while driving.
- Freeway Search: you can set the entrance or exit of a freeway as your destination
- Telephone Search: if you know the telephone number of your destination, you can quickly search for your destination by specifying the telephone number
- Return Home and Go To: if your home location is registered, the route home can be calculated by a single touch of the touch key from the Main menu. Also, you can register one location, such as your workplace, as your favorite location, and the route is calculated in a similar way.
- Destination History: any place that has been searched before is stored in the Destination History
- Address Search: you can input your destination's address by house number, street name, and city
- Vicinity Search: allows you to search for Points Of Interest in your surroundings on the map
- Address Book: places that you have registered manually, such as your home, are stored in the Address Book. Simply select the place you want to go to from the list and a route to that place will be calculated.
Modifying the Route Calculation Conditions: You can change the route calculation conditions using the Route Options menu:
- Number of Routes: This setting controls whether the system should calculate only one route, or several routes. You can select 1 (only one route judged as being optimum by your Navigation System is calculated) or Multiple (a maximum of 6 route options are calculated).
- Avoid Toll Road: This setting controls whether or not toll roads should be taken into account. You can choose On (calculates a route that avoids toll roads) or Off (calculates a route that may include toll roads).
- Avoid Freeway: This setting controls whether or not freeways may be included in the road calculation. You can choose On (calculates a route that avoids freeways) or Off (calculates a route that may include freeways).
- Avoid Ferry: This setting controls whether or not ferry crossings should be taken into account. You can select On (calculates a route that avoids ferries) or Off (calculates a route that may include ferries).
- Route Condition: This setting controls whether the fastest or the shortest route should be calculated. When Fastest is selected, the system calculates a route with the shortest travel time to your destination as a priority. When Shortest is selected, the system calculates a route with the shortest distance to your destination as a priority.
Checking the Set Route: You can check information about the route between your current location and your destination. You can select two methods: checking the passing streets with a list; and checking the shape of the route by scrolling the map along the route.
Recalculating the Route: You can recalculate the route to avoid a traffic jam or road work ahead. You can set the length of the area, and avoid just that area, or you can even search a new route from the current location to your destination.
Adding Way Points to the Current Route: You can select way points (locations you want to visit on the way to your destination) and you can recalculate the route to pass through these locations.
Areas to Avoid: If you register Areas to Avoid, such as crowded intersections or congested areas, routes can be calculated that avoid those areas.
Auto Reroute: If you deviate from the unit's set route, the system will re-calculate the route from that point so that you remain on track to you destination.
Address Book: The Address Book can store up to 300 registered locations. These can include home location, favorite places, and destinations you have already searched.
Emergency Information: The Emergency Info screen provides important emergency information pertaining to your vehicle, insurance, and current location, which could be useful in the event of an accident or breakdown. The Emergency Info screen includes the following:
- "You Are Currently At": Your current position is indicated by the street name, and your latitude and longitude.
- Personal Information: Your VIN number, insurance policy number, and the telephone number of your insurance company can be entered and displayed.
- Emergency Tow Service Phone: The toll free number for the nearest emergency roadside assistance appears on the screen. This number is supplied by Signature's Nationwide Auto Club, and appears only if you have registered your unit with Pioneer and have signed up on-line with Nationwide Auto Club (1st year service is paid for by Pioneer). If you choose not to subscribe, or if your subscription has expired, you can enter your own roadside assistance telephone number.
- Locate Car Service: In an emergency, you can search the Emergency Info screen for Auto Services in the vicinity of your current position, and set the current route. You can choose from three sub-categories: Automotive, Rental Car Agency, and Car Dealer.
Loading Registered Locations Data From a CD-R/CD-RW or DVD-R/DVD-RW: Address Book data stored on a CD-R/CD-RW or DVD-R/DVD-RW can be loaded to the navigation system. This function is used when moving Address Book data from a Pioneer navigation unit with a PC card slot to a Pioneer navigation unit without a PC card slot.
Changing Background Picture: In the menu operation screen, you can indicate a picture you like on the background. Some pictures are already stored, but you can also use pictures (JPEG format data) created by a personal computer or a digital camera. If you save the pictures to a CD-R/CD-RW or DVD-R/DVD-RW disc, you can use them as background pictures. Additionally, several background pictures are stored in the Pioneer DVD map discs.
Day/Night Display: To improve the visibility of the map during the evening, you can change the combination of the colors of the map.
iPod Control: The AVIC-N4 makes integrating your iPod into your car stereo system simple with the optional CD-I200 iPod Direct Control cable. Control of your iPod music and video library is quick and seamless via touch screen controls of the unit's intuitive graphic menu. The AVIC-N4 can be used to play back all of your iPod's songs, podcasts, and videos. The optional CD-I200 is audio only compatible with select docking iPods, including iPod mini, iPod photo, iPod nano (1st/2nd gen), and iPod touch (1st/2nd gen) models equipped with the dock connector. The CD-I200 supports both video and audio from the iPod video (5th generation), iPod Classic (80/120/160GB), and iPod nano (3rd/4th gen).
Note: This cable will not charge the iPod nano 4th generation or iPod touch 2nd generation.
Optional USB Adapter: You can also use this unit to control a USB adapter (CD-UB100, sold separately) to playback audio from a portable audio player that features a USB interface. The CD-UB100 allows you to listen to songs by connecting a USB portable audio/player USB memory that is USB Mass Storage Class compliant. This USB adapter plugs into the IP-Bus port on back of the radio and features a IP-Bus pass-through for daisy chaining another IP-Bus compatible component.
Satellite Radio Ready: You can add either XM or SIRIUS satellite radio to the AVIC-N4. Up to 18 stations can be set as presets (6 each for 3 XM or SIRIUS bands). The AVIC-N4 can control optional XM or SIRIUS satellite radio tuners:
- XM: Pioneer GEX-P920XM or GEX-P10XMT (item #s 130P920XM, 130P10XMT)
- SIRIUS: Pioneer SIR-PNR1
or SIRPNR2 tuner (130SIRPNR1, 130SIRPNR2)
Note: Subscriptions to XM or SIRIUS are required.
HD Radio Ready: This unit is compatible with the optional Pioneer GEX-P10HD HD Radio tuner (item number 130GEXP10H), allowing you to tune available HD Radio stations. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. The GEX-P10HD connects through the IP-BUS interface.
Bluetooth Adapter Ready: When used with the optional Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth Adapter (item 130BTB200), you can use this unit to make and receive calls wirelessly and hands-free on your Bluetooth-equipped cellular telephone or listen to music on your Bluetooth portable audio player. The Bluetooth adapter comes with a microphone for making and answering your calls. You can hear the other party through the vehicle's speaker system. The unit connects to the head unit via the supplied IP-BUS cable, and has an IP-BUS pass-through for daisy chaining another component.
CD Changer Controls: While playing a CD in a Pioneer 6-disc or 12-disc changer, you can perform the following functions: repeat track, repeat disc, repeat all discs, disc random, magazine random, disc intro scan, and track intro scan. During playback of a CD Text Disc, the unit can display a list of all the tracks on a disc, or the titles of all the discs in the magazine. When tracks or discs are displayed in a list, you can directly select your favorites by touching the corresponding number key. When used with a CD Text compatible Pioneer CD changer, this unit will display the titles of CD Text encoded discs that are played in the changer.
Back Panel of Head Unit:
- To Hideaway Unit: 30-pin jack that connects the head unit to the hideaway unit using the supplied 30-pin cable
- Preamp Output: 20-pin jack for use with supplied preamp output harness
- Power: 16-pin jack for use with supplied power wiring harness
- Extension Port: proprietary port for connection of the Pioneer GEX-P10XMT hide-away XM NavTraffic tuner (sold separately)
- Digital Out: proprietary optical digital output that allows you to connect an optional Pioneer digital audio processor
Front Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- FM/AM Antenna In: female Motorola jack
- Rear View Camera In: single RCA jack for use with an optional rear view camera
- AV In: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- AV 2: 3.5mm AV input for connecting an external AV source using the optional CD-RM10 AV cable adapter (sold separately)
- To Navi: 30-pin jack that connects the hideaway unit to the head unit using the supplied 30-pin cable
Back Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- GPS: jack for use with supplied GPS antenna
- IP-BUS In: 11-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Pioneer changer
- Rear Out: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- iPod In: proprietary port for connecting your Apple iPod using the optional CD-I200 iPod control interface adapter
- Signal In: 3" hardwired Car Speed Signal Input lead and Reverse Gear Signal Input lead; each lead is terminated with a male bullet connector
Hideaway Unit: Width =7.086" (9.235" with side brackets), Height = 1.195" (1.507" with brackets), Depth = 5.991" (6.165" with cables)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.