Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
If you've been looking for a value-packed receiver to deliver solid home theater sound and flexible entertainment options for years to come, then look no further than Pioneer's VSX-1122-K. Pioneer has been in the business of manufacturing dependable and innovative consumer electronics for over 70 years.
Get the most from your iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®
The VSX-1122-K works with your favorite Apple device, making enjoyment of your music library as easy as it gets. Just use the included USB/video cable to plug into the front-panel ports and listen to your favorite playlists through the best speakers in the house, or enjoy video content stored on your player. Your portable device entertains you while this receiver keeps it charged. And the USB port lets you play songs stored on most Android devices, or even a thumb drive. All of your digital music files get spruced up thanks to Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever, which restores lower-res recordings to near CD quality.
A world of music at the touch of a button
The VSX-1122-K's Ethernet port opens the door to a world of fresh, new listening options. You'll get thousands of Internet radio stations, as well as music services like Pandora® Internet radio, Sirius/XM Internet radio and music files streamed from your networked PC. Just think of the possibilities.
Apple's AirPlay technology lets you stream music from your iTunes® library directly to the receiver, either from a networked computer or right from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch® (wireless network connection required). Not only do you get a fast and convenient way to listen to your favorites, but anyone in your home can stream from their player to share their latest find.
Turn your smartphone into a remote
Connecting your Pioneer receiver to your Wi-Fi® network has another great advantage you can use your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Android device to control the receiver. A free downloadable app turns your phone or tablet into an intuitive touchscreen remote that lets you change the volume, browse your music library, or select inputs. That's one remote in the house that you won't be likely to lose.
Spontaneous playlists with Pioneer's Air Jam
Air Jam technology lets you connect up to four iPod or Android devices to your networked VSX-1122-K receiver using Pioneer's Bluetooth adapter. With Pioneer's free Air Jam app, you and your friends can make a group playlist of songs from multiple devices a great way to share music during a party. Or use the Bluetooth adapter simply to untether yourself from cables to play stored tunes wirelessly. Pioneer's Sound Retriever AIR technology was created specifically to enhance Bluetooth audio, so your wireless music will sound its best.
HDMI switching no more nest of wires
If you've ever plugged multiple components directly into your television, you've probably had to grapple with a messy bunch of cables hanging off the back The VSX-1122-K's HDMI inputs let you connect up to seven high-definition sources for convenient switching, like a gaming console, Blu-ray player, HD cable box and more. And you'll only need to run a single HDMI cable to your television, reducing cable clutter. You get built-in decoding for the latest high-resolution surround sound formats, so you can enjoy master-quality sound with a wide range of Blu-ray titles.
Plus, the '1122-K's Qdeo video processor does a little high-tech magic on your non-HD video sources. It uses sophisticated video upscaling to give your older sources superb near-HD picture quality. Plus, the video will pass through HDMI to your television, saving you the trouble of switching inputs on your TV.
Simplify setup with the touch of a button
Pioneer's VSX-1122-K's Advanced Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration® system (MCACC) delivers accurate home theater sound, customized for your specific room and speakers. It uses an included microphone to measure speaker characteristics like size, distance from the listening point, sound levels, and timbre, then calibrates the receiver's settings for maximum performance. All you need to do is sit back and enjoy the results.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p)
Digital Music Options:
- front-panel USB connection bypasses the iPod® DAC for higher-fidelity music playback
- DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled equipment
- built-in Apple AirPlay®for ultra-convenient iTunes® music playback
- optional streaming services include Pandora Internet radio, Vtuner Internet radio and Sirius/XM Internet radio (subscription may be required)
- Bluetooth integration (requires optional optional Pioneer adapter)
- Pioneer Air Jam (requires optional Bluetooth adapter) enables playlist creation and control with up to four iPod and Android devices
- exclusive Sound Retriever AIR technology for enhanced Bluetooth sound quality
- Wi-Fi® ready requires optional Pioneer Wi-Fi adapter
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered stereo audio output for 2nd room
- using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room
- only analog audio sources can be played in the 2nd room
Audio Performance Features:
- dual 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters
- Advanced Sound Retriever for better stereo sound with compressed music sources like MP3 files
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital audio/video switching (7 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4 with support for 3D video, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, HDMI-CEC and Audio Return Channel
- 4 rear-panel audio/video inputs with component and composite video
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
- line-level output for two powered subwoofers
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- free Pioneer remote app lets you use your iPod touch®, iPhone® or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system provides easy auto speaker setup (microphone included)
- on-screen display via HDMI output
- multibrand remote
- 17-1/8"W x 6-5/8"H x 14-3/4"D
- weight: 22 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Pioneer VSX-1122-K Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I have my Pioneer paired with high-end speakers and a Samsung PN64D8000 TV. After using the receiver for approximately 10 days I have little complaints thus far. The sound quality is superb, and the built in sound processor (MCACC) works great in initially setting up your home theater. One slight complaint is the lack of a traditional users manual. There is a manual you can access via on screen display on your TV, however a paper manual would be nice. The optional app on an iPhone or android works really well, and I find myself reaching for my phone more so than the simple Pioneer remote. Apple airplay and other Internet radio functions work as advertised with no complaints. Picture quality is superb thus far. I have the receiver paired with other components with only one cable (HDMI) out to the TV. There is random picture pixelation where the TV will become pixelated at random times with a slight red hue. However, this has only happened with the DirecTV box and immediately goes away when switching the source on the receiver, then switching back to the DirecTV source. The HDMI switching works as stated, however there is a noticeable lag when switching from (example) Direct TV box to a PS3/XBOX. Non HD Video up-scaling from a source DVD looks great. The receiver will play 3D movies with no hesitation and Blu Ray sources look absolutely fantastic on the Samsung TV. This is a high quality receiver I would recommend, even with the slight HDMI switching lag.
Pros: Sound and video quality; HDMI inputs and video up-scaling to 1080p; Apple and Internet capabilities
Cons: HDMI switching lag; lack of traditional users manual; random picture pixelation (though likely a cable/satellite box issue)
What's in the box?
- 7.1ch A/V receiver
- Remote control (AXD7664)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Setup microphone (with attached 16.5' cord terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- 39" iPod AV cable (with a iPod dock connector on one end and a USB type-A connector/composite video connector on other end)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp)
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Safety Brochure (En/Fr/Sp)
- "Prevent shorting of speaker cords" note
- Limited Warranty sheet (US/Canada)
- Correction sheet
Features and Specs
Direct Energy Amplifier: The Direct Energy Amplifier creates a wide range frequency response that makes it ideal for reproducing new high resolution audio formats. With this proprietary amplifier design, Pioneer's engineers have found the key to managing the wide fluctuations in heat that can significantly alter the overall audio performance of each of the discrete amplified channels. By utilizing a new temperature compensation circuitry of the temperature fluctuations are effectively minimized between channels to maintain high quality audio from all connected devices. The Direct Energy amplifier also features a low impedance, high current, and compact circuit design to maximize performance in the critical output stages.
90-Watt x 7.2ch Amplifier: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K Multi-Channel A/V receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20Hz-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels) and dual subwoofer (LFE) preamp outputs.
Amplifier Assignment: The VSX-1122-K supports up to 7.2 channels (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Dual SW) for surround sound playback. The seven amplifier channels built into the receiver are typically used for 7.1 channel surround in the main room, but there are various amplifier configurations to accommodate your home theater setup:
- 7.2ch (Front Height): A 7.2ch surround system connects the front speaker (L/R), center speaker, front height speakers (L/R), surround speakers (L/R), surround back speakers (L/R), and subwoofers (1/2). It is not possible to produce sound simultaneously from the front height speakers and the surround back speakers.
- 7.2ch (Front Wide): This 7.2ch configuration replaces the front height speakers (L/R) with front wide speakers (L/R). It is not possible to produce sound simultaneously from the front wide speakers and the surround back speakers.
- 5.2ch w/ Front Bi-Amp: You can configure the amplifier for front bi-amp operation to achieve a higher-quality 2-channel sound by connecting the receiver's front and surround back channels to your main front speakers (if compatible). Receiver will be limited to 5.2ch surround.
- 5.2ch + Speaker B: With this speaker configuration you can simultaneously enjoy 5.2ch surround sound in the main zone with stereo playback of the same audio on the B speakers (L/R) in another room. This same configuration also allows for 7.2ch surround sound in the main zone when not using the B speakers.
- 5.1ch + Zone 2: With this type of speaker configuration you can simultaneously enjoy 5.2ch surround sound in the main zone with stereo playback of another audio component in a second zone. The select of input devices is limited in Zone 2.
Audio Connections: Here is a lists of some of the audio connections that you'll find on the VSX-1122-K A/V receiver.
- Digital Inputs: The Pioneer receiver is equipped with two optical digital inputs and two coaxial digital input.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver has binding post terminals for all speaker outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height/Wide/B). The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs. The collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevent the use of spade connectors.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
192kHz/24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter: This receiver is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit DACs to decode and playback high-resolution recordings with clearer sound.
Texas Instruments Aureus DSP Engine: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K is equipped with a Texas Instruments (TI) Aureus Digital Signal Processor (DSP) Engine for better surround sound reproduction.
Advanced MCACC Setup: The Advanced MCACC (Multi Channel Acoustic Calibration) system was developed in Pioneer's laboratories with the aim of making it possible for home users to perform adjustments of the same level as in a studio easily and with high precision. The acoustic characteristics of the listening environment are measured and the frequency response is calibrated accordingly to allow high precision, automatic analysis and optimal calibration of the sound field to bring it closer to a studio environment than ever before. Furthermore, while it was previously difficult to eliminate standing waves, this receiver is equipped with a standing wave control function using a unique process to perform acoustic analysis and reduce their influence. You can choose to calibrate the soundfield automatically or fine-tune the soundfield data manually.
- Auto MCACC Setup: The VSX-1122-K features Pioneer's
exclusive Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC), providing a
near studio-quality, multi-channel listening experience customized
specifically to your listening environment. The Auto Multi-Channel Acoustic
Calibration (MCACC) setup measures the acoustic characteristic of your
listening area, taking into account ambient noise, speaker size and
distance, and tests for both channel delay and channel level. The included
microphone measures every speaker's connection, and notes its size, distance
from the listening point, sound levels, and timbre to calibrate and maximize
performance specifically for your room. After you have setup the microphone
provided with the VSX-1122-K, the receiver uses the information from a
series of test tones to optimize the speaker settings and equalization for
your particular room.
- 3 Correction Curves: After a single calibration is performed, each of the following three correction curves can be stored separately in the MCACC memory. SYMMETRY implements symmetric correction for each pair of left and right speakers to flatten the frequency-amplitude characteristics. ALL CH ADJ is a 'flat' setting where all the speakers are set individually so no special weighting is given to any one channel. FRONT ALIGN sets all speakers in accordance with the front speaker settings (no equalization is applied to the front left and right channels.
- EQ Pro & S-Wave: In addition to measurements at the listening position, you can use two more reference points for which test tones will be analyzed for standing waves. This is useful if you want to get a balanced 'flat' calibration for several seating positions in your listening area. Place the microphone at the reference point indicated on-screen and note that the last microphone placement will be at your main listening position.
- Manual MCACC Setup: You can use the settings in the
Manual MCACC setup menu to make detailed adjustments, after the Auto MCACC
Setup has completed.
- Fine Channel Level: You can achieve better surround sound by properly adjusting the overall balance of your speaker system. You can adjust the Channel Level of each speaker in 0.5 dB increments (+/-12dB).
- Fine Speaker Distance: For proper sound depth and separation with your system, it is necessary to add a slight bit of delay to some speakers so that all sounds will arrive at the listening position at the same time. You can adjust the distance of each speaker in half inch increments, up to 25.5'.
- Standing Wave: Acoustic standing waves occur when, under certain conditions, sound waves from your speaker system resonate mutually with sound waves reflected off the walls in your listening area. This can have a negative effect on the overall sound, especially at certain lower frequencies. Depending on speaker placement, your listening position, and ultimately the shape of your room, it results in an overly resonant (boomy) sound. The Standing Wave Control uses filters to reduce the effect of overly resonant sounds in your listening area.
- EQ Adjust: Acoustic Calibration Equalization is a kind of room equalizer for your speakers (excluding the subwoofer). It works by measuring the acoustic characteristics of your room and neutralizing the ambient characteristics that can color the original source material (providing a 'flat' equalization setting).
- EQ Professional: This setup minimizes the unwanted effects of room reverberation by allowing you to calibrate your system based on the direct sound coming from the speakers. Performing the Acoustic Calibration EQ Professional procedure is effective when the lower frequencies seem overly reverberant in your listening room.
X-Curve: Most soundtracks mixed for cinema sound too bright when played back in large rooms. The X-Curve setting acts as a kind of re-equalization for home theater listening, and restores proper tonal balance of movie soundtracks.
PQLS: PQLS (Precision Quartz Lock System) is a digital audio signal transfer control technology using the HDMI Control function. It offers higher-quality audio playback by controlling audio signals from the receiver to a PQLS compatible Pioneer Blu-ray player. This enables removing jitter that has a negative effect on the quality of the sound and is generated upon transmission.
Listening Modes: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K offers a variety of listening modes to accommodate playback of various audio formats.
Stereo Stereo Sound is output by the front left and right speakers and subwoofer. Stereo ALC The unit equalizes playback of sound levels when your music tracks are recorded at different volume levels. Straight Decode No additional effects (tone control, etc.) are added to the stereo source. Dolby Pro Logic Dolby Pro Logic Dolby Pro Logic is a matrix decoding technology developed by Dolby Laboratories. Dolby Pro Logic processes any high-quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into four playback channels of surround sound - Front Left, Front Right, Center, Mono-Surrounds. Dolby Pro Logic II Dolby Pro Logic II transforms high-quality stereo sound into 5.1-channel surround sound. Thanks to its full-range performance, you will hear all the detail and subtleties of a compelling five-channel Dolby surround sound mix from a stereo signal. You can choose between three DPL II modes - Movie, Music, or Game. Dolby Pro Logic IIx Dolby Pro Logic IIx transforms high-quality stereo and 5.1ch sound into 6.1- or 7.1-cchannel surround sound. With Dolby Pro Logic IIx you experience engaging, natural surround sound. Special effects are more realistic than you ever thought possible. Your movies and television programming sound richer, with more depth. You can choose between three DPL IIx modes - Movie, Music, or Game. Dolby Pro Logic IIz Providing a dramatic listening alternative for 7.1 systems, Dolby Pro Logic IIz brings the added dimension of height to create an immersive 7.1-channel surround sound experience from any stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 movie, music, TV, or game audio source. Dolby Pro Logic IIz identifies and processes ambient sound energy and directs this information to front height speakers in a 7.1-channel environment. Wide Surround Wide Surround Movie Up to 7.1-channel sound (with front-wide speaker effects), especially suite to movie sources. Wide Surround Music Up to 7.1-channel sound (with front-wide speaker effects), especially suite to movie sources. Dolby Digital Dolby Digital Dolby Digital has been selected as the default format for DVD video, standard 2 channel audio playback and HDTV Digital broadcasting. Dolby Digital features two independent surround channels giving same full range as the three front channels. Plus it adds a Low Frequency Effect channel LFE. Dolby Digital accomplishes this by using a technique called compression. Dolby Digital EX Dolby Digital EX takes the Dolby Digital 5.1-channel setup one step further with an additional center surround channel (reproduced through one or two speakers) for extra dimensional detail and an enveloping surround sound effect. Dolby Digital Plus Dolby Digital Plus is based on core Dolby Digital technologies. Dolby Digital Plus is an advanced surround sound audio codec designed specifically for evolving media. Dolby Digital Plus brings cinematic sound to Blu-ray, broadcast, online, game, and mobile phone entertainment (up to 7.1ch) Dolby Digital TrueHD Dolby TrueHD produces audio that is identical to and every bit as spectacular as the master recording. It lets you experience the full potential of Blu-ray Disc (up to 7.1ch), and is even ready for future HD delivery formats. DTS DTS DTS (Digital Theater Systems) uses the same concept as Dolby Digital, but implements a lower compression rate. This leads to more dynamic range, improved channel separation, and more subtle nuances. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is an improved version of the conventional DTS, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 signals formats, compatible with sampling frequencies of 96 or 48 kHz and up to 7.1 channels of discrete digital sound. High data bit rate performance provides high quality sound. This format is fully compatible with conventional products, including conventional DTS digital surround 5.1-channel data. Master Audio DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless audio format created by Digital Theater System (DTS). This format provides the facility to support up to 8 audio channels with a sampling frequency of 96kHz/24bit resolution and up to 6 audio channels with a sampling frequency of 192kHz/24bit resolution. It is fully compatible with conventional products, including conventional DTS digital surround 5.1-channel data. DTS 96/24 DTS 96/24 offers a higher quality level of multi-channel audio (up to 5.1 channels) for standard DVDs. The "96" refers to a 96kHz sampling rate (compared to the typical 48kHz sampling rate.) The "24" refers to 24-bit depth, compared to 16-bit depth used for CD sound, which means there is more audio information present. DTS Express DTS uses a system called DTS Express to deliver Secondary or Sub Audio to your player. The DTS Express audio is mixed with the Primary Audio, giving you an intensely great interactive surround experience. DTS-ES DTS-ES delivers 6.1 channels of discrete or matrixed audio. Movies encoded in DTS-ES will dramatically intensify the DTS surround effect with the addition of a surround center-channel speaker. DTS Neo: 6 DTS Neo:6 takes 2-channel (stereo) audio and completely transforms it into up to six full-bandwidth matrix channels of surround sound. Your home theater system will produce six and five separate channels, respectively, to match your speaker layout. DTS Neo:6 can also generate a center surround channel from 5.1 material. You can choose between two DTS NEO: 6 modes - Cinema or Music.
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz Settings: While listening in the
Dolby Pro Logic IIz format, you can adjust the following parameters:
- Height Gain: Adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
- V.Height: When you're not using front height speakers, selecting this mode allows you to hear a virtual front height channel through your front speakers.
- V.SB: When you're not using surround back speakers, selecting this mode allows you to hear a virtual surround back channel through your surround speakers.
- Virtual Depth: When this mode is selected, the soundfield expands virtually behind the display, resulting a soundfield with the same depth as the 3D picture to achieve a better sense of presence.
Advanced Surround: The Advanced Surround feature creates a variety of surround effects for various soundtracks.
|Action||Designed for action movies with dynamic soundtracks.|
|Drama||Designed for movies with lots of dialog.|
|SCI-FI||Designed for science fiction with lots of special effects.|
|Mono Film||Creates surround sound from mono soundtracks.|
|Entertainment Show||Suitable for musical sources.|
|TV Surround||Provides surround sound for both mono and stereo TV sources.|
|Advanced Game||Suitable for video games.|
|Sports||Suitable for sports programs.|
|F.S Surround Focus||Provides a rich surround sound effect directed to the center of where the front left and right speakers sound projection area converges.|
|F.S Surround Wide||Provides a surround sound effect to a wider area than Focus mode.|
|Classical||Gives a large convert hall-type sound|
|Rock/Pop||Creates a live concert sound for rock and/or pop music.|
|Unplugged||Suitable for acoustic music sources.|
|Expanded||Creates an extra wide stereo field.|
|Ext. Stereo||Gives multichannel sound to a stereo source, using all of your speakers.|
|Sound Retriever AIR||Suitable for listening to the sound from a Bluetooth wireless device.|
|Phones Surround||When listening through headphones, you can still get a virtual surround sound effect.|
Note: You can set the effect level (10-90) for the currently selected Advanced Surround mode.
Stream Direct: Use the Stream Direct modes when you want to hear the truest possible reproduction of a source. All unnecessary signal processing is bypassed.
Stream Direct Modes
|Auto Surround||The receiver automatically detects what kind of source you're playing and selects multichannel or stereo playback as necessary.|
|Direct||Sources are heard according to the settings made in the Manual Speaker Setup (speaker setting, channel level, speaker distance), as well as with dual mono settings. You will hear sources according to the number of channel in the signal.|
|Pure Direct||Analog and PCM sources are heard without and digital processing.|
Audio Improvements: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K provides various audio improvement settings to make whatever you are listening to sound its best.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: Even compressed audio such as WMA, MP3, and AAC is enhanced with another Pioneer exclusive, Advanced Sound Retriever, by filling in areas where subtle details were left out during the compression process. When audio data is removed during the compression process, sound quality often suffers from an uneven sound image. The Sound Retriever feature employs new DSP technology that helps bring CD quality sound back to compressed 2-channel audio by restoring sound pressure and smoothing jagged artifacts left over after compression.
- Phase Control: The A/V receiver's Phase Control feature uses phase correction measurements to make sure your system's sound arrives at the listening position in phase, preventing unwanted distortion and/or coloring of the sound. Phase Control technology provides coherent sound reproduction through the use of phase matching for an optimal sound image at your listening position.
- Up Mix Function: In a traditional 7.1-channel surround system with surround speakers placed directly at the sides of the listening position, the surround sound of 5.1-channels sources is heard from the side. The Up Mix function mixes the sound of the surround speakers with the surround back speakers so that the surround sound is heard from diagonally to the rear as it should be.
- Dialogue Enhancement: Localizes dialog in the center channel to make it stand out from other background sounds in a TV or movie soundtrack. By moving from UP1 through UP2 and UP3 up to UP4, you can make the sound source seem to relocate upwards.
- DNR: This function may improve the quality of sound in a noisy source (for example, video tape with lots of background noise) when switched on. This only has an effect with 2-channel signal inputs.
- Hi-Bit 24: This feature creates a wider dynamic range with digital sources; like CDs, DVDs, or BDs. Smoother, more delicate musical expression can be achieved by converting 16-bit PCM or 20-bit compressed audio signals to 24-bit.
Audio Level Controls: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K offers a variety of audio level controls to enhance your listening experience.
- Auto Level Control: The Auto Level Control equalizes volume differences between portable audio tracks or television programming and eliminates jarring volume changes.
- Dynamic Range Control: This function adjusts the level of dynamic range for movie soundtracks optimized for Dolby Digital/DTS formats. This feature is helpful when listening to Dolby Digital/DTS soundtracks at low volume levels.
- Midnight Listening: The Midnight Listening mode allows you to hear effective surround sound of movies at lower volumes.
- Loudness: The Loudness function is used to get good bass and treble from music sources at low volumes.
- LFE Attenuate: Dolby Digital and DTS audio sources can include ultra-low bass tones. Set the LFE Attenuator as necessary to prevent the ultra low bass tones from distorting the sound from the speakers. The LFE attenuator can be set to 0, -5, -10, -15, or -20 dB.
- Analog Input Attenuate: The analog input attenuator lowers the input level of an analog signal when it's too strong.
AM/FM Tuner: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner with 63 preset stations. For easier identification, you can name all of your saved preset stations. The receiver includes an external indoor AM loop antenna and FM wire antenna.
8 HD Inputs: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K is equipped with 8 HD inputs. Seven HDMI 1.4a inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. One component input (1080/60i capable) provides added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- HDMI: The receiver is equipped with seven HDMI v.1.4a inputs (6 rear/1 front) for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All seven HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 3D 1080p video There is also an HDMI (v.1.4a) output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- HD Component Video: This unit features a single component video input. The component video jacks are capable of accepting high-definition video signals (up to 1080i).
1080p Video Upconversion: The VSX-1122-K provides video conversion from composite and component video to HDMI for a single-wire high-definition audio/video solution, as well as up to 1080p video scaling (powered by the Marvel Qdeo 1080p/24fps Video Scaler) for an exceptional high definition picture, regardless of the source.
3D-Ready: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4a) connections.
Note: 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The VSX-1122-K also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
A/V Sync: Some monitors have a slight delay when showing video, so the soundtrack will be slightly out of sync with the picture. The receiver can automatically correct this problem (via HDMI) or it can be fixed manually.
- Auto Delay: This feature automatically corrects the audio-to-video delay between components connected with an HDMI cable. The audio delay time is set depending on the operational status of the displayed connected with an HDMI cable. The video delay time is automatically adjusted according to the audio delay time.
- A/V Delay: By manually adding a bit of delay (0-9), you can adjust the sound to match the presentation of the video.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
HDMI Standby Through: HDMI Standby Through mode lets video and audio signals pass through the VSX-1122-K to the TV even when the receiver is off. You can select between 3 HDMI Through functions modes.
- Last: The HDMI Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "standby" mode.
- Source: Selects the input source (BD, DVD, Sat/Cable, Game) for which the HDMI Through function in enabled.
- Off: The HDMI signal will be output during standby mode.
Video Settings: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K offers a number of video adjustments.
- Pure Cinema: This setting optimizes the operation of the progressive scanning circuit for playing film material.
- Progressive Motion: This function adjusts the motion and still picture quality when video output is set to progressive.
- Stream Smoother: This feature improves elements that reduce picture quality mainly noticeable in network content, such as mosquito noise and block noise.
- Video Adjustment: You can set the optimum picture quality for the type of monitor display; Plasma, LCD, Front Projection, or Professional Monitor.
- Picture Adjustments: You can make the following picture adjustments; Detail (edge enhancement), Sharpness (detail), Bright (brightness), Contrast (lights/darks), Hue (reds/greens), Chroma (saturation), Blacks (black level).
- Noise Reduction: The receiver offers the following noise reduction settings; YNR (luminance noise reduction), CNR (color noise reduction), (block noise reduction), and MNR (mosquito noise reduction).
Home Media Gallery: The Pioneer A/V Receiver's Home Media Gallery function allows you to stream audio files from your DLNA compliant computer, access your iTunes music via AirPlay, and listen to Internet Radio Stations from vTuner, Pandora, and SiriusXM; all through your home network. The VSX-1122-K is fitted with an Ethernet (LAN) port and is also WiFi ready.
- Ethernet (LAN) Port: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K is fitted with a rear-panel RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) Port. By connecting this receiver to the your home network via the LAN terminal (10BASE-T/100BASE-TX), you can play audio files stored on your computer, listen to Internet Radio, and stream iTunes via AirPlay, and download firmware updates.
- Wireless Ready: Wireless connection to your home network is possible through the use of the Pioneer Wireless Network Adapter (130ASWL300, sold separately). The AS-WL wireless network adapter provides wireless (2.4GHz) connectivity for the Pioneer VSX-1122-K to your wireless (IEEE802.11b/g/n) home network. The AS-WL300 supports WPS (WiFi protected setup), WEP (64/128 bit), or WPA/WPA2 (TKIP/AES) security settings.
Note: The wireless network adapter connects to receiver's rear-panel Ethernet port and USB port.
Internet Radio: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K lets you access various Internet Radio providers through its wired or wireless network connection. The VSX-1122-K will display station name and program-related information, such as - artist name, song title, and elapsed playing time. You can preset up to 65 of your "favorite" Internet radio stations for easy recall.
|vTuner||vTuner offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.|
|Pandora||Pandora is personalized internet radio that is designed to help you discover new music you'll loved mixed in with music you already know. The Pioneer A/V receiver allows you to access your saved Pandora Internet Radio stations and select which station to play. You must have a registered Pandora account in order to listen to your Pandora Internet Radio stations. Pandora Internet Radio is only available in the United States.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, and more. =|
DLNA Certified (1.5): The Pioneer VSX-1122-K is DLNA 1.5 certified. This means you can stream your MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, or even FLAC music files from your Windows PC or laptop to the Pioneer A/V receiver. This unit allows for the streaming of audio files stored on the following devices.
- PCs running Microsoft Windows Vista or XP with Windows Media Player 11 installed.
- PCs running Microsoft Windows 7 with Windows Media Player 12 installed.
- DLNA-compatible digital media servers (on PCs or other components).
Playable File Formats: The Home Media Gallery feature of this receiver supports the following file formats.
|Audio File Type||Bit-Rate||Sampling Frequency|
|MP3||8-320 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|FLAC||16-bit, 24-bit||32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz|
Parental Lock: You can set restrictions for using Internet services. These restrictions are protected by a user pass-code.
Firmware Updates: You can download firmware updates from the Pioneer Website for the Pioneer A/V receiver using either an Ethernet (hardwired) or WiFi (wireless) connection. The tested Pioneer AV receiver had an immediate firmware update (1-157-076-014-191), as of 5/8/2012. Visit Pioneer's A/V Receiver Support Site for the latest firmware updates.
USB Port: It is possible to play audio files and JPEG still-image files by connecting a USB mass storage class memory device (such as your USB thumbdrive, smartphone, tablet, or Android device) to the A/V receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. Slideshows of photo files can be played while listening to music files. Compatible USB devices must be mass storage class compliant and formatted in FAT16/32. The receiver's remote control can be used for basic playback of files stored on your USB memory device. The USB function of this receiver supports the following file formats.
|Audio File Type||Bit-Rate||Sampling Frequency|
|MP3||8-320 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|WMA||32-320 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|AAC||16-320 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|Flac||16-bit, 24-bit||32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz|
Note: Copyrighted and DRM-protected audio files cannot be played back. Not compatible with all USB devices. This receiver does not support USB hubs.
AirPlay: With AirPlay you can stream music from iTunes to the VSX-1122-K and play it through your home theater system. Simply connect the receiver to your home network via Ethernet or Pioneer's optional wireless adapter (AS-WL300, sold separately) and it instantly becomes the hub for playback of your iTunes music from your connected Apple device or networked computer. You can even use the receiver to view metadata including song title, artist as well as album art on a connected display monitor. Download Apple's free "Remote" application and your can use your Apple device as the remote control.
Note: AirPlay supports PCs or MACs with iTunes 10.1 or later. AirPlay is compatible with the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad with iOS 4.2 or later.
Direct iPod/iPhone/iPad Connection: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K's front-panel USB port and A/V input (via the included USB/video cable) allows you to control playback of audio/video content from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad using the controls of this receiver. You can enjoy music, videos, still-images, and apps stored on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad through the Pioneer A/V receiver (videos/photos are output via composite or HDMI). You can control your iPod, iPhone, or iPad device directly; or from the VSX-1122-K's included IR remote, front-panel display, and on-screen menu (via HDMI only). You can browse songs stored on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Shuffle. You must use the clickwheel or touchscreen of your Apple device for video and photo control. The Apple device will charge automatically when connected.
Note: If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices are limited to audio playback only (no video out).
iPod/iPhone/iPad Compatibility Chart: The VSX-1122-K is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible and supports the following iPod, iPhone, and iPad devices (as of 9/27/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||AirPlay||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Multi-Zone: This receiver can accommodate up to two independent systems in separate rooms after you have made the proper Multi-Zone connections. The same audio source or different audio sources can be playing in the two zones at the same time. The Main Zone offers 7.1-channel playback of your audio/video gear in your main entertainment room. Zone 2 allows audio playback only of the same or different analog audio source connected to the receiver in another room of your home, via left/right RCA audio or speaker level outputs.
- Zone 2 Speaker Outputs: When using the VSX-1122-K to power speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is restricted to 5.1-channels.
- Zone 2 Preamp Outputs: When using the receiver's preamp output terminals for the second room you need an additional amplifier to power those speakers, and the main zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel.
Compatible Zone Sources: Only tuner, analog, USB/iPod, and Network/Internet Radio sources can be played in Zone 2. When a Network, Internet Radio, USB, or iPod/AirPlay source is selected in the main zone, it is only possible to select the same input source for the second zone. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones.
Incompatible Zone Sources: It is not possible to play the digital audio signals from the HDMI, Coaxial, or Optical terminals in Zone 2. Video cannot be sent to Zone 2.
On-Screen GUI (Graphical User Interface): The VSX-1122-K features an advanced, full-color On-Screen GUI for use with the included remote, so you can make guided adjustments to your home theater sound. The On-Screen GUI is only visible when connecting the receiver to your television via HDMI.
AVNavigator: Pioneer's AVNavigator is an interactive owners manual that takes all the guesswork out of setting up the receiver. AVNavigator uses your networked PC to communicate directly with the VSX-1122-K, walking you through speaker set-up, MCACC room calibration, sound optimization, firmware updates and more. A CD-ROM is included to load the software onto your PC (Windows XP/Vista/7).
Input Name: You can choose to rename the input function for easier identification. Inputs can also be skipped.
Display Dimmer: You can dim or brighten the receiver's front-panel display. The brightness level can be controlled in four steps.
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set to 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Auto Power Down: The power can be set to turn off automatically if no operation has been performed for a specific amount of time (15, 30, or 60 min.) with no audio or video signals being input to the receiver.
Multibrand/Learning Remote Control: The supplied wireless remote is a multibrand/learning remote. The remote is pre-programmed to operate popular brands of equipment including Blu-ray/DVD players, Blu-ray/DVD recorders, CD players, TVs, and Satellite/Cable boxes. Also, the remote can learn specific commands from infrared remotes of other components. You can even program in Macros for a series of remote control commands from one button press.
HDMI Control: The Pioneer VSX-1122-K supports the HDMI Control function. With HDMI Control, you can synchronize operation between the Pioneer A/V receiver and your HDMI CEC-compatible TV or Blu-ray disc player (equipment must be connected via HDMI). HDMI Control Functions included:
- Synchronized Amp Mode: The receiver's volume can be set and the sound can be muted from the TV's remote control.
- Power Synchronization: The receiver and your connected TV will power On/Off at the same time.
- Automatic Switching Inputs: The receiver's input switches over automatically when the TV's input is changed or your Blu-ray player starts playback.
Note: Not all HDMI CEC-compatible components will be supported by this receiver.
IR Input/Output (3.5mm): If you keep your audio/video components in a closed cabinet or shelving unit, or you wish to use the sub zone remote control in another zone, you can use an optional IR receiver (such as a Niles or Xantech unit) to control your system instead of the remote sensor on the front-panel of this receiver. Simply connect the IR receiver to the IR input of this receiver and connect your component to the IR output jack of the receiver.
iControlAV2012 Remote App: The Pioneer free iControlAV2012 Remote App makes it easy to operate select functions of your Pioneer A/V receiver using select Apple iOS and Android devices in a WiFi network environment. Download this free remote app from the iTunes app store for your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (with iOS 4.3 or later); or download it from the Android Market for your compatible Android device (2.3.7 & up). The Pioneer iControlAV2012 Remote App lets you enjoy controlling your home cinema system with your smartphone or tablet device.
- Control Mode: The Control mode not only covers the basic functions of the AV Receiver (power, volume, input selection, and sound and video modes, balance and tone, etc) for the main zone; but also for additional zones as applicable - even internet radio and media server content navigation is integrated. And more, Basic functions such as Play, Stop, Forward, and Reverse are supported for your connected Pioneer Blu-ray Disc Player.
- Sound Explorer Mode: The Sound Explorer mode offers 18 Pioneer unique sound adjustment functions that can be operated and experienced from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You can directly jump to on-line video animations that concisely explain see the benefits of many of Pioneer original sound modes.
- Balance & Emphasis Modes: The Balance & Emphasis modes are virtual motion adaptive functions that allow you to change the "sweet-spot" of your home theater. You can independently adjust the volume of your center speaker or subwoofer just by tilting your Apple iOS or Android device. The Emphasis feature also features "Finger EQ" where you can adjust the sound equalization instantly with the touch of your finger.
Bluetooth Ready (optional): The Pioneer AS-BT200 Stereo Bluetooth Adapter (130ASBT200, sold separately) lets you wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth enabled audio device to the Pioneer VSX-1122-K A/V receiver. Now, instead of being limited to headphones to listen to the music stored on your portable device or computer; you can enjoy your music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Android or other smartphone; as well as your PC, laptop, tablet, or many other A2DP profile Bluetooth-enabled devices directly from the Pioneer VSX-1122-K A/V receiver. The AS-BT200 connects to a proprietary port on the back of all the Pioneer A/V receiver.
Air Jam: Pioneer's exclusive Air Jam App has been designed in-house by Pioneer for select Apple and Android devices. With Air Jam, you and your friends can connect up to 4 Apple or Android devices to make a group playlist on your home theater system through the Pioneer VSX-1122-K, via Pioneer's AS-BT200 Stereo Bluetooth Adapter (sold separately).
Note: The Pioneer Air Jam app can be downloaded from iTunes and supports the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (requires iOS 4.2 or later). The Pioneer Air Jam app can also be downloaded from the Android Market and supports the Samsung Galaxy S2 (OS2.2), GalaxyS II (OS2.3).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.