Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
70 years of experience in audio/video innovation is quite a legacy. That's why you can count on Pioneer's affordably priced VSX-522-K receiver to deliver solid home theater performance for years to come.
Convenient 3D-ready HDMI audio/video switching
The VSX-522-K's HDMI inputs let you connect up to four high-definition sources for convenient switching, like a gaming console, Blu-ray player, HD cable box and more. And you'll only need to run a single HDMI cable to your television, reducing cable clutter. You get built-in decoding for the latest high-resolution surround sound formats, so you can enjoy master-quality sound with a wide range of Blu-ray titles.
Do more with you iPod® or iPhone®
The VSX-522-K is "made for iPod" and "made for iPhone" certified, making enjoyment of your music library as easy as it gets. Just use the cable that came with your iPod to plug into the front-panel USB port, and you're ready to listen to your favorite playlists through the best speakers in the house. While your iPod entertains you this receiver keeps it charged. And the USB port lets you play songs stored on most Android devices, or even a thumb drive. All of your digital music files get spruced up thanks to Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever, which restores lower-res recordings to near-CD quality.
Simplify setup with the touch of a button
Pioneer's exclusive Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration® system (MCACC) delivers accurate home theater sound, customized for your specific room and speakers. It uses an included microphone to measure speaker characteristics like size, distance from the listening point, sound level, and timbre, then calibrates the receiver's settings for maximum performance. All you need to do is sit back and enjoy the results.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® Pro Logic IIz, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
Digital Music Options:
- listen to music from iPod®, iPhone®, or other portable music player via the front-panel USB input
Audio Performance Features:
- dual 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters
- Advanced Sound Retriever for better stereo sound with compressed music sources like MP3 files
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital audio/video switching (4 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4 with support for 3D video, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, HDMI-CEC and Audio Return Channel
- 4 rear-panel audio/video inputs with composite video
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- headphone surround processing gives you a surround-like experience with ordinary headphones
- Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system provides easy auto speaker setup (microphone included)
- on-screen display (through composite video output only)
- system remote
- 17-1/8"W x 6-5/8"H x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 19.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Pioneer VSX-522-K Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great receiver for price...
So far this is a great little receiver for the price. It is an entry level receiver great for smaller rooms. Has a great punch when playing games and watchingmovies
Pros: Price 4 HDMI inputs
Cons: No Component video
What's in the box?
- 5.1ch A/V receiver
- Remote control (AXD7660)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Setup microphone (with attached 16.5' cord terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp)
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Safety Brochure (En/Fr/Sp)
- "Prevent shorting of speaker cords" note
- Limited Warranty sheet (US/Canada)
Features and Specs
Direct Energy Amplifier: The Direct Energy Amplifier creates a wide range frequency response that makes it ideal for reproducing new high resolution audio formats. With this proprietary amplifier design, Pioneer's engineers have found the key to managing the wide fluctuations in heat that can significantly alter the overall audio performance of each of the discrete amplified channels. By utilizing a new temperature compensation circuitry of the temperature fluctuations are effectively minimized between channels to maintain high quality audio from all connected devices. The Direct Energy amplifier also features a low impedance, high current, and compact circuit design to maximize performance in the critical output stages.
80-Watt x 5.1ch Amplifier: The Pioneer VSX-522-K Multi-Channel A/V receiver is equipped with a 5-channel amplifier rated at 80 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20Hz-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels) and a dedicated subwoofer (LFE) preamp output.
192kHz/24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter: This receiver is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit DACs to decode and playback high-resolution recordings with clearer sound.
Texas Instruments Aureus DSP Engine: The Pioneer VSX-522-K is equipped with a Texas Instruments (TI) Aureus Digital Signal Processor (DSP) Engine for better surround sound reproduction.
MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System): The VSX-522-K features Pioneer's exclusive Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration system (MCACC), providing a near studio-quality, multi-channel listening experience customized specifically to your listening environment. The Auto Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration (MCACC) setup measures the acoustic characteristic of your listening area, taking into account ambient noise, speaker size and distance, and tests for both channel delay and channel level. The included microphone measures every speaker's connection, and notes its size, distance from the listening point, sound levels, and timbre to calibrate and maximize performance specifically for your room. After you have setup the microphone provided with the VSX-522-K, the receiver uses the information from a series of test tones to optimize the speaker settings and equalization for your particular room.
Note: The receiver also offers Manual Speaker Setup. You can manually set the Speaker Size (small/large), Crossover Network frequencies (50/80/100/150/200Hz), Channel Level for all speakers (test tone), and Speaker Distance (0.1-25.5') from your listening position.
Audio Connections: Here is a lists of some of the audio connections that you'll find on the VSX-522-K A/V receiver.
- Digital Inputs: The Pioneer receiver is equipped with one optical digital input and one coaxial digital input.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for the front channel speakers, and spring clip terminals for the surround and center channel speakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, single banana plugs, and pin connectors. The spring clip terminals will only accept bare wire and pin connectors.
- Surround Back/Front Height Pre-Out: The AV receiver is equipped with a pair of Surround Back/Front-Height Pre-Outs, so you can connect a secondary amplifier to power a pair Surround Back (DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD) or Front-Height (DPL IIz) speakers for 7.1ch surround.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
Listening Modes: The Pioneer VSX-522-K offers a variety of listening modes to accommodate playback of various audio formats.
|Stereo||Sound is output by the front left and right speakers and subwoofer.|
|Stereo ALC||The unit equalizes playback of sound levels when your music tracks are recorded at different volume levels.|
|Straight Decode||No additional effects (tone control, etc.) are added to the stereo source.|
|Dolby Pro Logic|
|Dolby Pro Logic II||Dolby Pro Logic II transforms high-quality stereo sound into 5.1-channel surround sound. Thanks to its full-range performance, you will hear all the detail and subtleties of a compelling five-channel Dolby surround sound mix from a stereo signal. You can choose between three DPL II modes - Movie, Music, or Game.|
|Dolby Pro Logic IIx||Dolby Pro Logic IIx transforms high-quality stereo and 5.1ch sound into 6.1- or 7.1-cchannel surround sound. With Dolby Pro Logic IIx you experience engaging, natural surround sound. Special effects are more realistic than you ever thought possible. Your movies and television programming sound richer, with more depth. You can choose between three DPL IIx modes - Movie, Music, or Game.|
|Dolby Pro Logic IIz||Providing a dramatic listening alternative for 7.1 systems, Dolby Pro Logic IIz brings the added dimension of height to create an immersive 7.1-channel surround sound experience from any stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 movie, music, TV, or game audio source. Dolby Pro Logic IIz identifies and processes ambient sound energy and directs this information to front height speakers in a 7.1-channel environment.|
|Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital has been selected as the default format for DVD video, standard 2 channel audio playback and HDTV Digital broadcasting. Dolby Digital features two independent surround channels giving same full range as the three front channels. Plus it adds a Low Frequency Effect channel LFE. Dolby Digital accomplishes this by using a technique called compression.|
|Dolby Digital EX||Dolby Digital EX takes the Dolby Digital 5.1-channel setup one step further with an additional center surround channel (reproduced through one or two speakers) for extra dimensional detail and an enveloping surround sound effect.|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus is based on core Dolby Digital technologies. Dolby Digital Plus is an advanced surround sound audio codec designed specifically for evolving media. Dolby Digital Plus brings cinematic sound to Blu-ray, broadcast, online, game, and mobile phone entertainment (up to 7.1ch)|
|Dolby Digital TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD produces audio that is identical to and every bit as spectacular as the master recording. It lets you experience the full potential of Blu-ray Disc (up to 7.1ch), and is even ready for future HD delivery formats.|
|DTS||DTS (Digital Theater Systems) uses the same concept as Dolby Digital, but implements a lower compression rate. This leads to more dynamic range, improved channel separation, and more subtle nuances.|
|DTS-HD||High Resolution Audio||DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is an improved version of the conventional DTS, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 signals formats, compatible with sampling frequencies of 96 or 48 kHz and up to 7.1 channels of discrete digital sound. High data bit rate performance provides high quality sound. This format is fully compatible with conventional products, including conventional DTS digital surround 5.1-channel data.|
|Master Audio||DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless audio format created by Digital Theater System (DTS). This format provides the facility to support up to 8 audio channels with a sampling frequency of 96kHz/24bit resolution and up to 6 audio channels with a sampling frequency of 192kHz/24bit resolution. It is fully compatible with conventional products, including conventional DTS digital surround 5.1-channel data.|
|DTS 96/24||DTS 96/24 offers a higher quality level of multi-channel audio (up to 5.1 channels) for standard DVDs. The "96" refers to a 96kHz sampling rate (compared to the typical 48kHz sampling rate.) The "24" refers to 24-bit depth, compared to 16-bit depth used for CD sound, which means there is more audio information present.|
|DTS Express||DTS uses a system called DTS Express to deliver Secondary or Sub Audio to your player. The DTS Express audio is mixed with the Primary Audio, giving you an intensely great interactive surround experience.|
|DTS-ES||DTS-ES delivers 6.1 channels of discrete or matrixed audio. Movies encoded in DTS-ES will dramatically intensify the DTS surround effect with the addition of a surround center-channel speaker.|
|DTS Neo: 6||DTS Neo:6 takes 2-channel (stereo) audio and completely transforms it into up to six full-bandwidth matrix channels of surround sound. Your home theater system will produce six and five separate channels, respectively, to match your speaker layout. DTS Neo:6 can also generate a center surround channel from 5.1 material. You can choose between two DTS NEO: 6 modes - Cinema or Music.|
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1channel surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs (unless you connect an addition Surround Back amplifier to the receiver's SB/FH Pre-Outs). Pro Logic IIz requires additional Front-Height speakers connected to a separate amplifier using the receiver's Surround Back/Front-Height preamp outputs.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Height Gain: Adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
Advanced Surround: The Advanced Surround feature creates a variety of surround effects for various soundtracks.
|Action||Designed for action movies with dynamic soundtracks.|
|Drama||Designed for movies with lots of dialog.|
|Entertainment Show||Suitable for musical sources.|
|Advanced Game||Suitable for video games.|
|Sports||Suitable for sports programs.|
|F.S.S. (Front Stage Surround Advance Advanced)||Allows you to create natural surround sound effects using just the front speakers and the subwoofer.|
|Classical||Gives a large convert hall-type sound|
|Rock/Pop||Creates a live concert sound for rock and/or pop music.|
|Unplugged||Suitable for acoustic music sources.|
|Ext. Stereo||Gives multichannel sound to a stereo source, using all of your speakers.|
|Sound Retriever AIR||Suitable for listening to the sound from a Bluetooth wireless device.|
|Phones Surround||When listening through headphones, you can still get a virtual surround sound effect.|
Stream Direct: Use the Stream Direct modes when you want to hear the truest possible reproduction of a source. All unnecessary signal processing is bypassed.
Stream Direct Modes
|Auto Surround||The receiver automatically detects what kind of source you're playing and selects multichannel or stereo playback as necessary.|
|Direct||Sources are heard according to the settings made in the Manual Speaker Setup (speaker setting, channel level, speaker distance), as well as with dual mono settings. You will hear sources according to the number of channel in the signal.|
|Pure Direct||Analog and PCM sources are heard without and digital processing.|
Advanced Sound Retriever: Even compressed audio such as WMA, MP3, and AAC is enhanced with another Pioneer exclusive, Advanced Sound Retriever, by filling in areas where subtle details were left out during the compression process. When audio data is removed during the compression process, sound quality often suffers from an uneven sound image. The Sound Retriever feature employs new DSP technology that helps bring CD quality sound back to compressed 2-channel audio by restoring sound pressure and smoothing jagged artifacts left over after compression.
Phase Control: The A/V receiver's Phase Control feature uses phase correction measurements to make sure your system's sound arrives at the listening position in phase, preventing unwanted distortion and/or coloring of the sound. Phase Control technology provides coherent sound reproduction through the use of phase matching for an optimal sound image at your listening position.
Up Mix Function: In a traditional 7.1-channel surround system with surround speakers placed directly at the sides of the listening position, the surround sound of 5.1-channels sources is heard from the side. The Up Mix function mixes the sound of the surround speakers with the surround back speakers so that the surround sound is heard from diagonally to the rear as it should be.
Audio Level Controls: The Pioneer VSX-522-K offers a variety of audio level controls to enhance your listening experience.
- Auto Level Control: The Auto Level Control equalizes volume differences between portable audio tracks or television programming and eliminates jarring volume changes.
- Dynamic Range Control: This function adjusts the level of dynamic range for movie soundtracks optimized for Dolby Digital/DTS formats. This feature is helpful when listening to Dolby Digital/DTS soundtracks at low volume levels.
- Midnight Listening: The Midnight Listening mode allows you to hear effective surround sound of movies at lower volumes.
- Loudness: The Loudness function is used to get good bass and treble from music sources at low volumes.
- LFE Attenuate: Dolby Digital and DTS audio sources can include ultra-low bass tones. Set the LFE Attenuator as necessary to prevent the ultra low bass tones from distorting the sound from the speakers. The LFE attenuator can be set to 0, -5, -10, -15, or -20 dB.
AM/FM Tuner: The Pioneer VSX-522-K is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner with 30 preset stations. For easier identification, you can name all of your saved preset stations. The receiver includes an external indoor AM loop antenna and FM wire antenna.
Video Inputs: The Pioneer VSX-522-K is equipped with Four HDMI 1.4a inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) that let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. There are two composite video inputs (480i only) to provide standard-definition connectivity.
- HDMI: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI (v.1.4a) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All four HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 3D 1080p video There is also an HDMI (v.1.4a) output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- Composite: The two composite video inputs will only support 480i video signals.
Note: The receiver does not convert video signals. It can only output the same type of signals that it receives. The receiver is capable of receiving and sending HDMI and Composite Video signals.
3D-Ready: The Pioneer VSX-522-K is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4a) connections.
Note: 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The VSX-522-K also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
A/V Sync: Some monitors have a slight delay when showing video, so the soundtrack will be slightly out of sync with the picture. The receiver can automatically correct this problem (via HDMI) or it can be fixed manually.
- Auto Delay: This feature automatically corrects the audio-to-video delay between components connected with an HDMI cable. The audio delay time is set depending on the operational status of the displayed connected with an HDMI cable. The video delay time is automatically adjusted according to the audio delay time.
- A/V Delay: By manually adding a bit of delay (0-9), you can adjust the sound to match the presentation of the video.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
HDMI Standby Through: HDMI Standby Through mode lets video and audio signals pass through the VSX-522-K to the TV even when the receiver is off. You can select between 3 HDMI Through functions modes.
- Last: The HDMI Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "standby" mode.
- Source: Selects the input source (BD, DVD, Sat/Cable, Game) for which the HDMI Through function in enabled.
- Off: The HDMI signal will be output during standby mode.
USB Port: It is possible to play audio files by connecting a USB mass storage class memory device (such as your USB thumbdrive, smartphone, tablet, or Android device) to the A/V receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. Compatible USB devices must be mass storage class compliant and formatted in FAT16/32. The receiver's remote control can be used for basic playback of files stored on your USB memory device. The USB function of this receiver supports the following file formats.
|File Type||Bit-Rate||Sampling Frequency|
|MP3||8-320 kbps||8 kHz to 48 kHz|
|WMA||32-320 kbps||32 kHz, 44.1 kHz|
|AAC||16-320 kbps||11.025 kHz to 48 kHz|
Note: Copyrighted and DRM-protected audio files cannot be played back. Not compatible with all USB devices. This receiver does not support USB hubs.
Direct iPod/iPhone Connection: The Pioneer VSX-522-K's front-panel USB port allows you to control playback of audio content from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad using the controls of this receiver. Simply connect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad to the receiver's USB port using the USB dock-connector cable supplied with your Apple device. You can enjoy stored music and music apps on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad through the Pioneer A/V receiver. You can use the VSX-522-K's included IR remote, front-panel display, and On-Screen Menu (via composite only) to operate your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can browse songs stored on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Shuffle. You can also simply control your iPod, iPhone, or iPad device directly from its clickwheel or touchscreen. The Apple device will charge automatically when connected. The VSX-522-K is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod, iPhone, and iPad devices (as of 9/27/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Firmware Upgrades: You can download firmware updates from the Pioneer website for the VSX-522-K using the unit's front-panel USB port and thumbdrive (sold separately). Visit Pioneer's A/V Receiver Support Site for the latest firmware updates.
On-Screen Menu (via analog): The VSX-522-K features an intuitive on-screen menu for use with the included remote, so you can make guided adjustments to your home theater sound. The on-screen menu is only visible when connecting the receiver to your television via composite video. The on-screen menu will not appear via HDMI.
Display Dimmer: You can dim or brighten the receiver's front-panel display. The brightness level can be controlled in four steps.
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set to 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Auto Power Down: This function automatically turns off the power when the receiver has not operated for several hours.
IR Remote Control: The supplied IR wireless remote control is pre-coded to control the Pioneer A/V receiver and other Pioneer audio/video components.