Watch a product review
Item #: 130X6500DV
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $299.99
Step up to multimedia in your car
You don't need to play movies in your car to enjoy having a DVD receiver in your dash (though it IS a pretty cool feature). And you don't need a large dash opening either. Pioneer's AVH-X6500 DVD receiver fits into a single-DIN (2" tall) dash opening, with a big screen that motors out when you hit the road. Pioneer's intuitive touchscreen controls allow you to make changes by tapping, swiping, or dragging your finger, along with user-friendly menus that you can customize to your liking. You can adjust the screen's angle for the best view in your car, and you can even tailor the receiver's appearance by choosing from five display colors and 112 key panel illumination options.
Thanks to WVGA technology, Pioneer's DVD receivers boast twice the resolution of most multimedia receivers, meaning you'll have a clearer, sharper picture when you're watching videos or taking charge from the touchscreen. And you'll also find plenty of ways to play back your music, including compatibility with many popular mobile apps.
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface. You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest. And you can show several sources of information simultaneously, quickly shifting from one to another with a touch of your finger.
Note: AppRadio Mode and AppRadioLIVE are currently not compatible with iOS 8 due to stability and display issues. Please see "Details" for more information.
The receiver's motorized touchscreen offers intuitive controls.
Video playback and a touchscreen display
MIXTRAX will liven up your time on the road. This feature creates a DJ-like experience with content from your iPod, iPhone, or Android™, with special effects between songs and variable-color lighting that pulses with the beat of your music.
Media at your command
You can play just about anything on this Pioneer, including your CDs, discs full of MP3 or WMA music, or USB storage devices loaded with music files. When you connect your iPod to the USB input, you'll be able to use the receiver's controls to access your playlists. Handy tools like Alphabet Search and Link Search to make it easier to find the song you want fast.
You can also play music files from many Android™ phones when your Android is plugged into the front-panel USB port — see the "Details" tab for more info on device compatibility. If you're a fan of streaming Internet radio, connect your iPhone to the receiver with Pioneer's CD-IU201S cable and take charge of your Pandora® account from the touchscreen, complete with thumbs-up and thumbs-down controls.
Great sound matters
The receiver's powerful built-in amplifier delivers the goods, with crisp sound at all volume settings, while the 8-band equalizer offers plenty of ways to tweak the output. Three pairs of preamp outputs make it easier to connect external amps, and this receiver offers an auto-equalization feature to tune your system (microphone required).
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" motorized, retractable touchscreen with multi-angle adjustments and detachable face
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience
- Advanced App Mode: launch and control compatible apps from your iPhone 4 or 4S
- Pandora control from iPhone
- five customizable display colors and 112 key panel illumination choices
- fits single-DIN dash openings
- remote control
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- 8-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- Auto-EQ equalizes for your car interior automatically (optional mic required)
- built-in audio iPod and iPhone control; Pioneer's optional adapter required for viewing video content and Pandora control on iPhone 4/4S
- playback and control of Android media files
- inputs: rear USB input, dual rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Video receivers: They're not just for movies
Video receivers add a new level of entertainment to your vehicle. You can watch a movie on the screen when you're parked on a Saturday night, or play a DVD or downloaded video through your rear seat video setup on the road. Touchscreen receivers allow you to breeze through menus with the tip of your finger. Most video receivers feature a USB input for iPod audio, and the ability to add an adapter that allows video to display on the screen.
Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great in dash DVD player
2008 Dodge Ram 2500
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Definitely worth the money blows my stock radio out of the water
Cons: None so far
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Not RatedBuild Quality
Ease of Use
Love my stereo! So simple with easy directions and love how they ship all the needed wires and adapters with the purchase!
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
This model has all the controls for sound I was looking for as well as inputs that I have been using. AE: I pod, USB (flash drive) AUX, for music storage. The thing is I did not notice until during installation was that these inputs are all on the rear of the unit. "Really" Makes no sense for an in dash mounted unit.
Pros: Eight band EQ, Sub woofer level control, built in x-overs
Cons: Rear inputs for iPod, USB, AUX.
Best for the price
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
The pioneer AVH-X6500 is the best of all single din dvd player that you can get for the money. I have been buying products from pioneer all my life, and no doubt about that they are the best in the market. The product is very good looking, very easy to use, the sound quality is perfect. They have it all in one package, I am very happy with this purchase.
2002 Mitsubishi Lancer
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
So far the product has been great. Only thing I hoped there would be is Bluetooth like the x7500 just for convenience. All in all great product.
What's in the box?
- DVD receiver with retractable 6.95" LCD touchscreen monitor (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Detachable control-panel (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CXE5116)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 56" USB extension cable (w/ a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 4 Large pan-head screws
- 4 Small pan-head screws
- 2 Counter-sunk screws
- Panel-fixing screw
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV (rear)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Motorized-Retractable Touchscreen Monitor: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD features a motorized-retractable 7" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and connected components; such as an iPod/iPhone, or USB mass storage class device. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, so you don't have to open or close the monitor every time you want to load a disc.
Note: The head unit's motorized-retractable monitor can be set to automatically open or close with your vehicle's ignition switch. Or, you can manually open and close the the touchscreen monitor with a press of a button.
Adjustable Angle: You can adjust the angle of the motorized-retractable 7" monitor from 50- to 110-degrees to suit your viewing preference. You can also adjust the touchscreen display's slide position, so that the monitor is set back or forward. The touchscreen display will automatically be adjusted to the same angle & position the next time the monitor is opened.
Audio Only: You can listen to audio from a CD, USB device, or iPod/iPhone without retracting the monitor. However, there will be no display of song information, since the unit doesn't offer a secondary display.
Video Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for each source and the optional rear view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast), color (adjusts color saturation), hue (adjusts the tone of color), and temperature (adjust the color temperature).
Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video:
- Full: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only, enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions.
- Zoom: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen.
- Normal: A 4:3 picture is displayed as it is.
On Screen Display Color And Background Adjustment: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background can be set to one of five preset still images, one of two preset movie images, or turned Off.
Front-Panel Controls With Adjustable Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the unit's lower front-panel. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color using the unit's on-screen menu.
Detachable Control Panel: Part of the unit's control-panel detaches, so you can take it with you when leave your vehicle to help prevent against theft. If the front-panel is not detached from the head unit within four seconds of turning off the ignition, a warning tone sounds, to remind you. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be parked with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
iPod/iPhone Connection: The Pioneer multimedia head unit supports both audio/video & app playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Select the appropriate cable for your iPod/iPhone model and type of media content.
- iPod/iPhone (30-pin Connector): Using Pioneer's dock connector-to-USB cable (130CDIU51, sold separately) or the dock-to-USB cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone, you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod or iPhone through the Pioneer A/V head unit. Using the Pioneer CD-IU201V iPod/iPhone connector cable (130IU201V, sold separately) you can enjoy audio playback, plus video playback of movies, TV shows, video podcasts, and music videos stored on your iPod/iPhone; as well as music or video based apps streamed to your iPhone. The Pioneer CD-IU201S iPhone/App cable (130IU201S, sold separately) not only provides audio/video playback, but also allows you to launch the AppRadio Mode on your iPhone 4/4S, for playback of advance applications (such as navigation and internet radio) on the Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD.
- iPod/iPhone (Lightning Connector): Newer iPod and iPhone devices with a Lightning connector require the use of the Lightning-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device. These devices support audio playback of stored music and music apps (no video output).
iPod/iPhone Control: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen or from the iPod/iPhone's touchscreen, clickwheel, or downloadable app.
- Head Unit: You can search your iPod/iPhone's audio/video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, TV Show, Rental, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook from the head unit's touchscreen. (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- iPod/App: App Control mode allows you to navigate stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat. The App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. In addition, you can watch video on the Pioneer A/V receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+). Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include; Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next. The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged.
iPod/iPhone Display: The multimedia head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information, as well as metadata from Pandora and AppRadio apps; including Track number, Folder number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to 'basic App mode'. Instead, all music information will be displayed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
AppRadio Mode: Using the Pioneer CD-IU201S iPhone/App cable (sold separately) to connect the AVH-X6500DVD to your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 7.1.2) loaded with Pioneer's free AppRadio application from iTunes, you can enjoy full on-screen access and control of your calendar, maps, and more with an intuitive interface, formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has teamed up with app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app must be first launched from your iPhone 4/4S, and the compatible app selected from the iPhone 4/4S. You can then operate the app from the Pioneer head unit. Visit the Pioneer AppRadio Site for the latest compatible apps. Popular apps include (as of 9/25/2014):
|App Categories||Application Description|
|Aupeo! Personal Radio: AUPEO! Personal Radio offers free online music. With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs, genres, or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner". Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the AppRadio screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.|
|CarMediaPlayer: CarMediaPlayer allows you to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your music library directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View function. When you're searching through your library, Alphabet Search allows you to select the first letter in the desired song, album, or artist name from the Pioneer receiver making it quick an easy to get to the music you want. The iPhone version of the app even allows you to play and access your iTunes Match collection directly from the Pioneer's touchscreen.|
|Livio Radio: The Livio Radio app ($4.99) lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world. The Livio Radio app has been optimized for use in the vehicle with a range of features an controls right from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen.|
|Rdio: Rdio (from for $4.99 per month) gives you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio will display Artist,/Album/Song information, as well as Album art.|
|StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app ($4.99) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.|
|gMusic: Google Music allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.|
|Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary MIXTRAX app from iTunes analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.|
|Navigation||Apple Maps: You can view Apple maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your iPhone. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|MotionX GPS Drive: The MotionX-GPS Drive App ($0.99) is available from iTunes for your iPhone 4/4S. There is a $2.99 per month subscription fee with an additional $19.99 per year for Voice Guidance feature. MotionX-GPS Drive is a complete GPS navigation solution, designed and optimized for the iPhone 4/4S, that can be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio. MotionX-GPS Drive helps you find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with optional Live Voice Navigation, using industry-leading maps (including US and Canada). All the functionality of an advanced dedicated turn-by-turn GPS unit is presented in this intuitive iPhone 4/4S application. MotionX-GPS Drive Offers full support for the iPhone 4/4S with multitasking, routing, and live voice guidance instructions continuing in the background; while you listen to streaming music from your car audio system or use other applications from the iPhone 4/4S. The 2D/3D navigation map will be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio, but you will still control the MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation app from your iPhone 4/4S.|
|NavFree GPS Live: NavFree GPS Live is a free navigation app that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search, live searches via Google and Microsoft Bing, and many other features. Navfree is a completely free navigation app with no additional monthly charges. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of users around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone so data connection is not required for navigating.|
|My GPS USA: My GPS USA is the next generation GPS satellite navigation from the makers of NavFree. Full featured with voice guided, turn-by-turn satellite navigation with no hidden costs. It offers a HD live map display with 2D and 3D modes. You can navigate by pinching, swiping and touching. Full voice guidance is available in 12 languages. Multiple Routing Modes include - Fastest, Shortest, Easy, Pedestrian, and Economical Routes. You can even navigate from your Contacts.|
|INRIX Traffic: INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. The INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 per year) provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the Pioneer head unit, while control is still handled from the iPhone 4/4S.|
|Extra Mile: Extra Mile ($1.99) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation that gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.|
|EC Touch: The EasyCar app is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.|
|Waze: Waze is a cool social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.|
|Driver Assist||DashCommand: Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone 4/4S, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the Pioneer head unit's screen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.|
|Best Parking: Best Parking is a parking search engine that steers drivers towards the cheapest and most convenient parking garages and lots in 55 cities and 80 airports.|
|Parkopedia: Parkopedia ($1.99) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.|
|Utility||CarBrowser: CarBrowser ($1.99) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.|
|Commute WX: CommuteWX ($0.99) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.|
|Contacts: Access your iPhone's contacts. This function is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Calendar: Access your iPhone's calendar, so you can view important events and reminders. This functionality is bundles with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Photos: You can view photos stored on your iPhone. Access albums and camera rolls, and even view a slideshows. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
Note: AppRadio Mode is currently not compatible with iOS 8 due to stability and display issues. To maintain use of AppRadio Mode, please continue using iOS 7.1.2 with your iPhone. Clicker here for more details from Pioneer.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/25/2014):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||Pandora||AppRadio **||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
- **AppRadio Mode is currently not compatible with iOS 8 due to stability and display issues. To maintain use of AppRadio Mode, please continue using iOS 7.1.2 with your iPhone. Clicker here for more details from Pioneer.
- *Requires the Lightning-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device for audio playback only. These devices do not support video output.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID AM/FM tuner features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Pandora App: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD supports the Pandora App via a Pioneer's proprietary iPod cable (sold separately) or the dock-/Lightning-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device. The free Pandora App lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD using your connected Apple iPhone, via the proprietary Pioneer iPod connector cable (sold separately) or the USB/iPod dock cable that came with your iPhone. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS.3.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora Radio application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the iPhone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
Multimedia Compatibility: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD features a front-loading disc slot, as well as a rear-panel USB (type-A) port with 59" USB extension cable.
- Compatible Discs: The AVH-X6500DVD supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs.
- USB Port: The unit features a rear-panel USB port and includes a 59" USB extension cable. You can connect a USB mass storage class device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or inserted USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory (SD/SDHC, USB)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WMA: 48-320kbps bit rate; 32-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 16-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-44.1kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8- or16-bit rate; 16-44.1k sampling rates
DivX: 720 x 576 max resolution; 8GB max file size
MPEG-1/2/4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 8GB max file size
|JPEG: max resolution of 4092 x 4092|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||
99 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Playback Functions: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD offers the following playback functions:
- Automatic Playback: When a DVD disc with DVD menu is inserted, this unit will cancel the DVD menu automatically and start playback from the first chapter of the first title.
- Bookmark (Resume Playback): The Bookmark function lets you resume playback from a selected scene the next time the disc is loaded.
- Frame-By-Frame Playback: This feature lets you movie ahead on frame at a time during playback of your DVD or Video CD.
- Slow Motion Forward: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you can choose to play back video in slow motion (no audio).
- Repeat Play: Audio/Video content can be repeated. You can choose from Disc (entire disc), Folder (current folder) Chapter (current chapter), Title (current title), Track (current track), File (current file), Folder (current folder), or One (current video/song/track).
- Random (Shuffle) Play: Audio/Video can be played back in a random order. You can choose from Songs (videos/songs in selected list), Albums (videos/songs from selected album), Folder (songs/tracks in selected folder), or Disc (all songs/tracks on disc).
Search Functions: The AVH-X6500DVD provides the following search functions:
- Track Title List: You can select tracks to playback using the track title list which is a list of the tracks recorded on a disc or USB memory device.
- Scene Search: You can use the search function on the unit's on-screen display to search for a desired scene on your DVD by specifying a title and chapter track.
- Return to Scene: You can return to the specified scene where the DVD you are currently playing has been preprogrammed to return.
- Skip Search: You can skip to the previous/next track, file, folder, title, or chapter on a disc or USB device.
- Fast Forward/Reverse: You can fast forward/reverse through a current track, file, or title on a disc or USB device.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone/iPad.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-X6500DVD.
Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media; the Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the AVH-X6500DVD are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 8-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 8-band graphic equalizer (40Hz, 80Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz, and10kHz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Sonic Center Control: Sound that is suited for the listening position can easily be created with this function. You can adjust sound more toward the listening position left (7) to right (7).
Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
2V/6CH Preamp Outputs: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD features three pair of 2.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Crossovers: The AVH-X6500DVD employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
Subwoofer Controls: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Switchable Rear Channel/Subwoofer Speaker Output: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
Video Output: The AVH-X6500DVD features a rear-panel composite video output that allows you to connect an external display to the unit. You can play back the same video source which is being played on the head unit. You can select the unit to output a 16:9, Letter-Box or Pan-Scan aspect ratio to match your external display's screen size.
Rear View Camera: The AVH-X6500DVD is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera input jack) when an optional rear camera (130NDBC6, sold separately) is installed. When the transmission is in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the violet/white wire in the AVH-X6500DVD's harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.9 seconds. Pioneer recommends using a camera with a mirror image (reversed) output. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U260 add-on navigation unit (130AVIC260, sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
Note: If you are already using the head unit's RGB input to access AppRadio Mode from your iPhone, then you cannot connect this add-on navigation module (or vise-versa).
Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD includes an IR remote control (CXE5116) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
6 questions already asked
No special cable needed but Crutchfield does offer and extension cable as the port is in the rear of the unit. This cable will allow you to plug your device in from the front running the cable through the dash. Hope this helps. [ DAVID Oct 22, 2014 ]
No you don't, as long as the file is saved as a wav. You should be good but if you look at the SPEC on the radio it will tell you what compatible. I downloaded music videos from iTunes and it work right off of my iPod. I hope this helps [ RICHARD Oct 22, 2014 ]
only when open and on [ RICK Aug 19, 2014 ]
Just when the screen is out. It should be noted that the flip screen can be open without the unit being on, and can be open or closed while on or off. Also while the screen is out you can turn off the display leaving the screen dark and with a push of a button the time will be displayed with a list of inputs should you wish to turn the unit on. [ barnaby Aug 12, 2014 ]
Only in the open position is the date/time display visible. Nothing in the closed. [ Nancy Aug 11, 2014 ]
Only when open. [ RENE Aug 11, 2014 ]
only when open and on [ THOMAS L Aug 11, 2014 ]
There is no clock display when closed. All functions are on the touch screen. You an control the volume, channel and source when in the closed position only. Hope this helps! [ DAVID Aug 11, 2014 ]
this unit is not compatible with an android phone and does not have Bluetooth. It will fit in a standard stereo mount, if you enter your cars make and model crutchfield will tell you if it will fit in your car and they will provide the mounting brackets [ THOMAS L May 21, 2014 ]
It is not Android capable. dimensions I'm not sure, but will fit anything with a single din or double. [ JONATHAN May 20, 2014 ]
Yes, This unit is certified 3.0. (W x H x D) 7" x 1.97" x 6.5" [ barnaby May 20, 2014 ]
none compatible with android, and dimensions are listed with product... this is a great unit if you have the iphone... [ JAY A May 20, 2014 ]
It's compatable via Bluetooth. Double din unit with 6 inch screen. Hope that helps. [ Edward May 19, 2014 ]
yes, I have a Galexy S5 and it works great! 7''x6 1/4'' fully opened including screen and head unit. [ DAVID May 19, 2014 ]
Front of the unit [ MATTHEW Jan 07, 2014 ]
Check the specifications. If it doesn't mention it, then it doesn't have it, BUT they may have a separate sound processor which is better. If they don't, look into Alpine's PXA-H800. Yes, it's expensive but it does "almost" everything my high end Onkyo does in regards to sound processing for movies. [ MARQUES Dec 31, 2013 ]
I believe the answer is no however you can dubble check on the pioneer website. If it was I think it was limited capability. [ TYLER L Dec 10, 2013 ]
yes [ DAVID Dec 10, 2013 ]
No. You would need to get the new pioneer model it's also blue tooth. [ RENE Dec 10, 2013 ]