Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Panasonic's sleek and slender 50" TH-50PZ80U will wow you with its outstanding picture contrast and black levels. By tightly controlling the light output of each plasma cell, Panasonic has increased the contrast ratio to a remarkable 20,000:1. And a new anti-reflective filter cuts down on distracting screen reflections of room lights.
Why 1080p matters
If you look at all of the high-definition programs available from broadcast, cable, and satellite TV sources, you'll find that most of them use the 1080i format 1920 x 1080 pixels. The TH-50PZ80U's screen is a pixel-perfect match so you won't miss any details. By comparison, "720p" plasmas must downconvert 1080i signals, throwing away a significant amount of picture information. The downconverted image still looks crisp and clear, but there's definitely less fine detail.
Built-in HD tuners for over-the-air reception
The TH-50PZ80U's built-in analog/digital tuner can pull in every type of over-the-air TV broadcast, including gorgeous, free HDTV (antenna required). In addition, the set's "QAM" tuner conveniently allows cable TV subscribers to watch most unscrambled channels without the need for a set-top box including local network HD channels in many areas.
Clever connections that do more
The generous array of audio/video connections includes three HDMI digital inputs for hooking up the latest high-def components. If you're using other recent Panasonic HDMI-equipped components, the VIERA Link control system enables you to operate compatible models like a Panasonic Blu-ray Disc player using only the TV's remote. A front-panel memory card slot makes it easy to show off your digital photos on a big, beautiful screen and without booting up your computer.
- 49.9" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1920 x 1080 pixels
- 20,000:1 contrast ratio (1,000,000:1 dynamic)
- 480Hz Sub-field Drive anti-blur technology
- Deep Color and x.v.Color support
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- VIERA Link simplifies remote control for compatible Panasonic components (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 composite video (1 rear, 1 front)
- 2 S-video (1 rear, 1 front)
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080i)
- 3 HDMI v1.3 (2 rear, 1 front) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- front SD memory card slot for digital photo playback
- Energy Star® compliant
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 18"W x 15-1/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 49"W x 31-1/8"H x 4-3/8"D (33-3/8"H x 15-1/4"D on stand)
- weight: 88.2 lbs. with stand; 83.8 lbs. without stand
- extra-long-life panel (100,000 hours)
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Reviews
Average Customer Review:
50" Panasonic HDTV
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I was very concerned about ording a tv from so far away, but it arrived in fine shape and on time. Easy to set up and functions beautifully. I am delighted and thank you Crutchfield.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
couldn't wait to watch the blu ray movies
service was outstanding from crutchfield [thanks dean}
Don't trust what you see at the stores
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This is a great TV. I got a lot of my advice from online A/V forums. The shipping was good. the guys delivering the TV even helped my carry my 32" Sony CRT down to my basement (~200lbs).
The picture on this is really great. I spent the first 1.5 weeks watching stuff that'd i'd normally never watch (Cars on cartoon network HD, the Pixar stuff in HD really blows my mind) just because the picture is so incredible. I followed the break-in instructions on the avsforum website for the first 100 hours just so I wouldn't have to worry about burn in as much.
HD Sports on this TV are really amazing, I've had this TV for about 2 weeks and I still can't get over it. I was watching Planet Earth on Discovery HD and the picture is just so stunning. Call cructchfield.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
And I thought a LCD had a great picture!
What's in the box?
- 50" Widescreen plasma TV
- Wireless remote control (N2QAYB000221)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6.5' AC power cord
- F-type antenna adapter for 5C-2V
- Pedestal base
- 2 Pedestal poles
- 4 Machine screws (M5 x 18mm)
- 4 Machine screws (M5 x 25mm)
- 2 Cable ties
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Span/Fren)
- HD setup guide (Eng/Span/Fren)
- Plasma Concierge brochure
- Product Registration card
- Panasonic Customer Care Plan card (extended service plan)
- "How to secure the AC cord" sheet
- Pedestal base assembly diagram
Features and Specs
Increased Contrast Ratio: The Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Widescreen VIERA plasma 1080p HDTV has an increased native contrast ratio of 20,000:1 and dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1.
Anti-Reflective Filter: The TV's flat panel features a new AR (anti-reflective) screen coating that acts as a filter to reduce annoying reflections and improve picture quality.
Built-in Tuners: The TV has both analog (NTSC) and digital (ATSC) tuners, as well as a QAM tuner for unencrypted cable signals. With these built-in tuners, you don't have to purchase a separate digital set-top box to receive and decode HDTV/SDTV signals.
68.7 Billion Colors: From deep blacks providing excellent shadow detail to vibrant colors rendering brilliantly bright scenes, the TH-50PZ80U displays an incredible 68.7 billion colors.
4,096 Shades of Gradation: Plasma displays can suffer from an artifact called false contouring, where transitions between different shades of the same color are too sharp. These transitions can appear as distinct lines between the different shades of color. Having 4,096 shades of gradation helps minimize the false contouring artifact so color transitions take on a smooth, natural appearance.
Deep Color/x.v.Color Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Deep Color and x.v.Color technology that corresponds with the HDMI Version 1.3 specification. This technology supports higher bit rates and more color possibilities than previous HDTV signals.
24p Playback: This TV is capable of displaying film-based video at the frame rate of 24 fps via HDMI. Some Blu-ray and high definition discs offer special 24p frame rate video for most accurate display of film-based material.
Native Resolution: The TH-50PZ80U has a display resolution of 1920 x 1080. All incoming signals are converted to this native resolution. The HDMI digital and component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i, and will display them as 1920 x 1080. The HDMI inputs will also accept a 1080p signal.
Aspect Modes: Depending on the input signal, you can choose one of the following aspect modes:
- 4:3: displays a 4:3 picture at its standard size with bars along the sides
- Zoom: magnifies the picture uniformly (vertically and horizontally) to fill the screen, so the top and bottom are cut off (recommended for letter box sources)
- Full: stretches the picture horizontally to fill the screen (recommended for anamorphic sources)
- Just: stretches a 4:3 picture to fill the screen but with aspect correction applied to the sides of the screen so that elongation is only apparent at the left and right edges of the screen (recommended for normal TV broadcasts)
- H-Fill: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally to fill the screen, the side edges are cut off
Picture Menu: The Menu list allows you to make the following adjustments in picture quality:
- Picture Modes: You can choose one of the following
- Vivid: provides enhanced contrast and sharpness when viewing in a well lit room
- Standard: recommended for normal viewing conditions with subdued room lighting
- Cinema: for watching movies in a darkened room, provides a soft, film-like picture
- Custom (Photo): adjust picture, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness
- Game: for playing video games. The mode will be set automatically if "GAME" is selected from the input label setting.
- Picture Adjustment: Several picture settings can be individually adjusted, including Picture (white areas), Brightness (dark areas), Color, Tint, and Sharpness.
- Color Temperature: This feature selects the level of warm colors (red) and cool colors (blue). You can choose from a Cool, Normal, or Warm setting.
- Color Management: When turned on, color management enhances green and blue color reproduction. This is especially useful for outdoor scenes.
- x.v.Color: When set to Auto, this setting provides the appropriate picture when images corresponding to "x.v.Color" are input via HDMI or component input of this TV.
- Zoom Adjust: adjusts the vertical alignment and size when aspect setting "Zoom" is selected.
- Advanced Picture: Some advanced picture settings include:
- Video NR: Video Noise Reduction removes snow from a weaker analog TV signal.
- Digital Comb Filter: The motion adaptive 3D-YC comb filter minimizes noise and cross-color in the picture when the composite video input is used.
- Color Matrix: When viewing a signal input through the component video inputs, this TV will automatically optimize the color parameters based on the color matrix setting:
- MPEG NR: Reduces the block noise specific to digital signals from DVDs, STB's etc.
- Black Level: You can adjust the TV's black level to Dark or Light.
Anti-Image Retention Features: The TV's Pixel Orbiter feature helps to prevent image retention (burn-in) by shifting the display image. You can set the feature to automatic or force, and designate the time interval for the "Force" setting as 1, 2, 3, or 4. You can also change the brightness of the side bars that appear in 4:3 mode, or start a scrolling white vertical bar across the screen to prevent burn-in.
VIERA Link: VIERA Link HDAVI Control lets you operate all of your Panasonic "HDAVI Control" compatible home theater components connected by HDMI by pressing a single button on your TV's remote control. Panasonic equipment with the "HDAVI Control" function enables the following operations: Automatic input switching, Power on link, Power off link, Speaker control, and One-touch theater playback. Equipment with HDAVI Control 2 (or more) function enables the following operations: Providing the setting information, Automatic lip-sync function, and Direct TV recording. Note: VIERA Link is the new name for "EZ Sync."
SD Card Slot: The SD card slot on the front-panel of the TH-50PZ80U allows you to view JPEG photos from an SD, SDHC or miniSD card. An adapter is required to use a miniSD card. The maximum capacity for each type of media are: SDHC (16GB), SD Card (2GB), miniSD card (1GB). You can view images as thumbnails (up to 12 images), view them individually allowing you to rotate the image 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise or view them as a slide show, with adjustable picture duration. You can adjust the time duration for the slide show between 1-10 seconds, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60, or 120 seconds. You can also adjust the TV's picture settings for your still photos.
Audio Menu: In addition to bass, treble, and balance, the TV's audio menu includes the following advanced features:
- AI Sound: This audio feature equalizes the overall volume levels across all the channels and external inputs.
- Surround Function: The surround function enhances audio response when listening to stereo programming. This function is active only for the TV's built-in speakers.
- Audio Leveler: The Audio Leveler monitors the difference in audio levels between inputs and minimizes the change in volume when you change inputs. This function is active only for the TV's built-in speakers.
Closed Caption: The television includes a built-in decoder that is capable of providing a text display of the audio. The program being viewed must be transmitting Closed Caption (CC) information. The TV features analog and digital close captions:
- CC 1-4: displays information related to pictures (appears at bottom of screen)
- T 1-4: displays textual information (appears over entire screen)
- Digital: The digital Closed Caption menu lets you configure the way you choose to view the digital captions when viewing a digital station with (CC). You can adjust size, font, style, foreground, opacity, background and outline settings.
Input Labels: Each input can be labeled to reflect the source connected. The label options are Skip, VCR, DVD, Cable, DBS, PVR, Game, Aux, Receiver, and (blank). If "Skip" is selected, the TV/Video button will skip the input.
Station Caption: You change a channel's station name to a custom seven character name.
Favorite Channels: Channel numbers can be registered as Favorites and displayed in the TV's Favorite Tune menu for easier access.
Sleep Timer: This television features a built-in sleep timer, set by remote control, that turns the TV off automatically after 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Programmable On/Off Timers: The programmable timers allow you to program the TV set to turn itself on and off at designated times, on designated days, tuned to designated channels. Up to 5 events can be programmed using the timers. An event can have multiple episodes (Daily, Mon-Fri, Every Wed, etc).
Lock: The Lock function has four settings to block viewing of particular channels or inputs. You create a 4-digit password that's required to bypass the lock. The available settings are:
- Off: nothing is locked
- All: all channels and external inputs are locked
- Game: channels 3 and 4 and the video inputs are locked
- Channel: locks up to seven specific channels
- Program: block programs based on their TV or movie rating
Remote Control: The supplied remote is programmed to operate this unit only. The OK button and directional keys allow you to move the on-screen selector, making menu navigation simple and efficient. The remote control will also operate certain functions of Panasonic equipment with "HDAVI Control" connected by HDMI automatically through the TV's VIERA Link feature.
HDMI Inputs: The TH-50PZ80U has 2 rear-panel HDMI inputs and 1 front-panel HDMI input. Either HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the rear panel can be used with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter and the left and right RCA audio jacks (for the audio portion of the signal) of the TV's video input, if necessary. The front-panel HDMI input does not support HDMI-to-DVI conversion. All of the HDMI terminals can accommodate copy-protected digital signals (HDCP) from other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i inputs.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i inputs.
Digital Audio Out: The rear-panel optical digital output allows you to send a Dolby Digital bit stream to a Dolby Digital receiver or decoder. If the program doesn't include a Dolby Digital soundtrack, a 2-channel PCM bit stream is output.
Front Panel Input: The TV's front-panel input includes an HDMI input, left and right RCA audio connections, RCA composite video, and S-video connections.
SD Card Slot: The television features a front panel SD-card slot for viewing JPEG images stored on an optional SD-card (sold separately). The SD-card slot is compatible with SDHC cards up to 16GB, SD cards up to 2GB, and miniSD cards up to 1GB (miniSD cards require a miniSD card adapter).
Pedestal Base: The TH-50PZ80U includes a pedestal base for cabinet-top mounting. The base comes unassembled, and unattached to the TV, so assembly is required. With the pedestal base the TV weighs 88.2 pounds.
Wall Mounting: On the back of the TV are four threaded inserts to attach an optional wall mount bracket. The inserts require M8 (8mm) machine screws, the horizontal hole spacing is 26" and a vertical hole spacing of 12.25". Without the pedestal base attached, the TV weighs 83.8 pounds.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.