Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The versatile Panasonic DMR-EZ28K lets you record your local digital and analog television broadcasts to DVD. Plus, if you have an HDMI-equipped HDTV, this Panasonic can upconvert DVDs to better match your set's high-resolution screen, so all your discs will look their best.
The DMR-EZ28K can record to standard write-once and rewritable blank DVDs. This recorder also uses rewritable DVD-RAM discs, which provide DVR-like conveniences such as "Chasing Playback" — watching the beginning of a program while it finishes up recording. DVD-RAM discs also let you view a program you've already recorded while simultaneously capturing another.
The front panel looks very clean, but a flip-down door hides a several connections that are especially useful for owners of digital cameras and camcorders. The built-in SD memory card slot and USB port make it easy to view photos from your digital camera. Just slip the SD card into the front-panel slot to view images, or connect your camera to the USB port. If you own a digital camcorder with a DV port (also known as "IEEE 1394" or "FireWire®"), the DMR-EZ28K's DV input lets you easily record your home movies onto a recordable DVD.
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- receives all HDTV/SDTV broadcast formats records and displays in standard definition only
- upconverts and displays DVD video at 720p/1080i/1080p via HDMI (720p/1080i via component video)
- one-touch record
- 5 recording quality settings
- multibrand remote control
- VIERA Link simplifies remote control for compatible Panasonic components (HDMI-CEC)
- 2 sets audio/video inputs (composite and S-video), including 1 front-panel
- 1 set audio/video outputs (composite, S-video, component video and HDMI)
- RF input/output (input receives antenna/cable signals)
- front-panel digital camcorder input (IEEE 1394)
- front-panel SD memory card slot for digital photo playback (also allows transfer to DVD-RAM)
- front-panel USB port for MP3/JPEG/DivX playback (JPEGs can also be copied to a DVD-RAM disc)
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
- records to the following types of discs:
- write-once DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, for making permanent recordings
- rewritable DVD-RWs, DVD+RWs and DVD-RAMs, for making recordings you can watch and then erase
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, Video CD, and DivX® discs
- plays audio CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- 16-15/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 11-1/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Panasonic DMR-EZ28K Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Very good machine so far.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I got this machine to replace my 4 years old recorder, Please read the owners manual first and evrything is going to be ok. The picture quality of the digital tuner is outstanding, dvd's play without any problems, you can play movies from your USB drive in dvix format. Setup is easy if you are familiar with this machines. I recomend this machine.
DVR's are a waste of money
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Keep your VHS it does more than the Panasonic with a lot less aggravation.
Crutchfield saved me lots of brain damage by helping through the convoluted setup instructions, but the unit is still not friendly to use. The recorded picture is reasonalbly good if you don't need a recording time of over two hours. That, leaves out going out of town for a while. In any event, I don't see why any informed person would buy one. MY mistake.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
As a professional film maker I bought this to transfer from VHS to DVD with out having to get a combo unit, so I could use my hi-end VHS machines and not tie up any of my computers... It's great does everything ( okay just about everything it doesn't make coffee ) and no drama which I got with a different brand I got a year ago...
Thanks Crutchfield and Panasonic for doing it right, it was a nice change compared to most things these days...
What's in the box?
- DVD recorder with built-in digital tuner
- 64" AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (N2QAAYB000196)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 47" A/V cable with a composite video and stereo audio RCA connectors on both ends
- 47" RF coax cable with slip-on "F"-connectors on both ends
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Product Information Card
- Product Registration Card
- "Digital Television Transition Notice" sheet
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Hard Drive Recorder||No|
|Hard Drive Capacity||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|RCA Audio Inputs||2 pair|
|Composite Video Inputs||2|
|Component Video Inputs||No|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Overview: The Panasonic DMR-EZ28K is a Progressive Scan DVD Recorder with digital tuner, 1080p Up-Conversion, HDMI Simple Connection, VIERALink, SD Memory Card Slot, USB Terminal, and Super Multi-Format Recording and Playback.
Digital Tuner: The integrated high-performance hybrid digital tuner is capable of receiving both digital and analog broadcasts. The built-in tuner allows the DMR-EZ28K to receive and record analog and terrestrial digital channels (High Definition programming is "down-converted" and recorded in Standard Definition). The integrated hybrid digital tuner provides the following channels.
- Analog TV Channels: 2 to 69 ch
- Analog CATV Channel: 1 to 135 ch
- Digital TV Channel: 2 to 69 ch
- Digital CATV Channel: 1 to 135 ch
1080p Up-Conversion: By interpolating video data using proprietary algorithms, SD (Standard Definition) format data is up-converted to 1080 x 1920p HD (High Definition) format video data. This conversion increases the richness of the original data by almost six fold, producing the highest possible image quality when viewing content on a large-screen HDTV.
Progressive/24P: When this unit is connected to a TV supporting 1080/24p output via an HDMI cable, this unit displays each frame at 1/24 second intervals (the frame interval originally recorded in the film) thus faithfully reproducing the original cinema image.
Super Multi-Format Recording and Playback: The DMR-EZ28Kis incredibly versatile and format friendly. It can record and playback the following discs.
- Recordable and Playable Discs: DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM,
- Playable Only Discs: DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, CD, and CD-R/RW (including MP3/JPEG/DivX files)
Note: DVD-RAM discs can be recorded in 16:9 aspect ratio, while all other discs will be recorded in 4:3.
Front-Panel USB Port and SD-Card Slot: The Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder is equipped with a front-panel SD Memory Card slot and USB terminal, which makes it easy to view photos from your digital camera. Just slip the SD card into the slot or use a USB cable to connect the camera to the USB terminal, and you are ready to enjoy a spectacular big-screen slideshow with family and friends. You can even listen to music recorded onto a USB device while viewing your photos.
- USB Port: The DMR-EZ28K is also equipped with a front-panel USB type-A port which supports USB mass storage class devices up to 32 GB. The unit supports playback of MP3 audio files, JPEG still images and DivX video recorded onto a USB mass storage device with FAT16 or FAT32 file system.
- SD Card Slot: The Panasonic DVD recorder features a standard SD card slot which supports SD (8MB-2GB) and SDHC (4GB-16GB) memory cards, as well as mini-SD and micro-SD memory cards (with adapter) for JPEG still image playback. This unit is compatible with SD memory Cards that meet SD Card Specifications FAT 12 and FAT 16 formats, as well as SDHC Memory Cards in FAT 32 format.
Virtual Surround Sound (V.S.S.): If you are only using two front speakers in your system, this feature simulates a surround-sound environment. If you are playing a disc with surround effects recorded on it, the effects are broadened and the sound seems to come from virtual speakers on either side.
Note: For use with Dolby Digital DVDs 2-channel or over only.
Dynamic Range Compression: This feature changes the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital soundtrack for easier listening at low volumes.
Parental Rating: The V-chip system used in this unit allows you to limit viewing and recording of certain programs that may contain scenes unsuitable for children. If the unit start receiving a broadcast with the set rating information, a password screen appears and you will be unable to view or record until you enter the password. You can view or record after entering your password.
Universal Design: The DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder was designed in compliance with Panasonic's Universal Design principles. Frequently used buttons (Power, Open/Close) are located at the top of the main unit to make them easier to see when the unit is placed in a rack and you need to look down when operating it. Both the remote control and graphical user interface (GUI) were designed for easy use by everyone, based on the results of a Panasonic survey.
Remote Control: The supplied remote is pre-coded to operate the basic functions of several different brands of TVs, Set-Top Boxes, Cable Boxes, and Satellite Receivers, so you can control the DVD player and the basic functions of your television and set-top box with one remote.
HDMI (HDAVI Control): HDAVI control is a convenient function that offers linked operations of this unit and a Panasonic TV or Receiver through the HDMI cable connection. You can utilize the following controls.
- Automatic Input Switching: When play starts on the DVD recorder or when an action is taken that uses the display screen the Panasonic Television will automatically switch the input channel and display the corresponding action.
- Power On Link: The Panasonic Television will automatically turn on when play starts on the DVD recorder or when an action is taken that uses the display screen.
- Power Off Link: When the television is turned off, this unit will automatically turn off unless you are in the process of recording, copying, or finalizing a disc.
Off Timer: You can select how long the unit remains on when it is not being used. You can choose from 2 hours, 6 hours or turn this feature Off.
Power Consumption: This unit is designed to consume a small amount of power, even when it is turned off.
|Standby Power Consumption||Front Display|
|Quick Start (allows the unit to be turned on faster in approximately 1 second)||On||Approx. 14.1 W||Approx 14.1 W|
|Off||Approx 0.9 W||Approx 2.5 W|
Recording Modes and Estimated Disc Recording Time: The Panasonic DMR-EZ28K offers the following recording modes to choose from.
|Recording Mode||DVD-RAM||DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW (4.7 GB)||DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL (8.5 GB)|
|Single-sided (4.7 GB)||Double-sided (9.4 GB)|
|XP (High Quality)||1 hour||2 hours||1 hour||1 hour 45 minutes|
|SP (Standard Quality)||2 hours||4 hours||2 hours||3 hours 35 minutes|
|LP (Long Play)||4 hours||8 hours||4 hours||7 hours 10 minutes|
|EP (Extra Long Play)||6 Hour||6 hours||12 hours||6 hours||10 hours 45 minutes|
|8 Hour||8 hours||16 hours||8 hours||14 hours 20 minutes|
|FR (Flexible Recording)||8 hours maximum||8 hours maximum for one side||8 hours maximum||14 hours 20 minutes maximum|
Note: The Flexible Recording setting sets the best possible picture quality that fits the recording within the remaining disc space.
VIERALink: You can connect your Panasonic DVD recorder to your Panasonic VIERA flat-panel HDTV via an HDMI cable, and the TV channel setting information is automatically downloaded to the recorder. Once the Auto Preset Download is complete, the DVD recorder will keep whichever TV channel you're watching as its receiving channel. This means you can record the program you are watching by just pressing the Record button on the VIERA remote. With VIERALink and you do not have to worry about setting the recorder to the right channel every time you want to record something.
One-Touch Recording: You can begin recording with a single press of the record button. Each subsequent press of the button adds time to the recording in the following sequence: 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours. If using a DVD-RAM disc, recording can begin as quickly as one second.
Scheduled Recording: You can enter up to 16 programs up to a month in advance to record on this DVD recorder. Each daily or weekly program is counted as one program.
Chasing Playback (DVD-RAM only): With the Chasing Playback feature you can begin watching the portion of a program that has already been saved while the DVD recorder continues recording the remainder of the program.
Simultaneous Record and Playback (DVD-RAM only): This feature allows the playback of a previous recording, while recording another program.
Create And Combine Chapters (DVD-RAM only): You can select the point where you want to start a new chapter while viewing a recording. You can also choose to combine two chapters into one chapter. A DVD-RAM disc can support up to 1,000 chapters.
Divide Recording: You can divide a single recording into two separate recordings. A DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, and DVD-RW can support up to 99 recordings per disc; while DVD+R, DVD+R DL, and DVD+RW discs can support up 49 recordings per disc.
Line-In NR: This feature reduces video tape noise while recording from a connected VCR. You can select either On or Off.
Title Name: You can give names to recorded titles up 44 characters.
Still Image Copy: You can copy JPEG still images to and from USB, SD-card, and DVD-RAM using this recorder.
Copy Protection: Some TV programs have encoded copy protection, (using CPRM--Content Protection for Recordable Media) allowing them to be recorded only once. Such programs can not be recorded onto DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or 3" DVD-RAM discs. To record these programs, you will need a CPRM-compatible DVD-RAM.
Finalizing Discs: This is the process that make playback of a recorded DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW disc possible on other equipment that can play such media. You can finalize DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW (DVD-Video format), DVD+R and DVD+R DL on this unit. After finalizing, the disc becomes play-only and you can no longer record or edit on the disc. However, finalized DVD-RW discs can be formatted to become recordable again.
Protection: You can prevent accidental erasure by setting writing protection or erasure protection.
MP3/JPEG/DivX Playback: The Panasonic DMR-EZ28K supports playback of MP3, JPEG, and DivX files.
- MP3 Playback: The Panasonic DMR-EZ2K will playback MP3 (32-320 kbps) audio files recorded on DVD-R, DVD-R DL, CD-R, and CD-RW discs, as well as USB memory using the unit's front-panel USB port. This unit can recognize up to 99 folders and 999 files. This unit is not compatible with ID3 tag information.
- JPEG Playback: JPEG still images (34 x 34 and 6144 x 4096) recorded on DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, CD-R, CD-RW, SD Memory Cards or USB memory can be played on this unit. This unit can handle a maximum of 300 folders and 3,000 files (99 folders/999 files via CD).
- DiVX Playback: You can play CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL discs and USB memories which contain DivX video (32 x 32 to 720 x 576). This unit will play all version of DivX video, including DivX 6. The unit can recognize up to 300 folders and 200 files.
Note: Total number of recognizable files including MP3, JPEG, DivX and other type of files is 4000.
TV Aspect Ratio: The DVD recorder allows you to select what screen type you will be connecting the unit to. You can select from 4:3 Normal (Letterbox or Pan&Scan) or 16:9 Widescreen.
Picture Adjustment: You can select between the following picture modes.
- Normal: default setting
- Cinema: mellows movies and enhances detail in dark scenes
DNR: Turn this function on to reduce noise and picture degradation.
Black Level Control: You can adjust the black level of the input signal by selecting "lighter" or "darker." For the output signal, you can select one of two choices of black level when using composite or S-Video outputs: "Lighter" or "Darker," or one of three choices when using the component video outputs: "Lighter," "Normal," or "Darker."
Video Playback Operations: The DMR-EZ28K features the following video playback operations.
- Resume Function: When the Stop button is pressed, that position is stored in the memory. When the Play button is pressed after pressing the Stop button, playback resumes from the position where the disc was stopped. The resume function is canceled if the disc tray is opened or the Stop button is pressed a second time.
- Pause: Press the pause button to freeze a motion picture. Press it again to restart play.
- Search: You can fast forward or reverse through the disc. The speed increases up to 5 steps.
- Skip: During play or while paused you can skip titles, chapters, or tracks according to the number of times the button is pressed.
- Direct Access: Press the numbered buttons to start play from a selected title, chapter or track.
- Quick View (RAM only): Use this to increase the playback speed to 1.3X normal speed.
- Slow-Motion: During pause you can slow forward or reverse through the disc. There are 5 speed options.
- Frame-by-Frame: While in the pause mode you can move frame by frame through the movie.
- Time Slip Skipping: This function allows you to skip from 1 to 10 minutes ahead on the disc in 1 minute intervals.
- CM Skip: Commercial Skip skips ahead approximately 1 minute on the disc.
- Audio Change: You can change the Audio selection from Stereo, Mono L, Mon R or SAP during playback.
- Create Chapter (RAM only): You can divide the recorded disc into chapters while you are viewing it.
- Repeat Play: You can repeat an entire disc, chapter, group, playlist, title or track from this DVD recorder.
- Zoom: This feature allows you to Zoom in and out of the video you are watching.
Still Image Playback Operations: The DMR-EZ28K features the following still image playback operations.
- Album View: You can view up to six still images at a time on your TV screen.
- Slideshow: You can display your still pictures one by one with constant intervals in a slideshow fashion.
- Rotate: You can rotate your still pictures left to right.
- Zoom: You can zoom in and out of your still pictures. This function is only available for still pictures smaller than 640 x 480 pixels.
- Properties: You can display the shooting date and other information you saved when taking the picture by pressing Status button twice
Rear-Panel Connections: The following connections are found on the rear-panel of the Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder.
- HDMI Out: The DVD recorder features an HDMI output that when connected to a HDMI compatible TV or A/V receiver, can transmit an uncompressed digital audio and video signal. The HDMI output can be set to 1080p, 1080i, or 720p.
- Component Video Out: The DMR-EZ28K also features a component video output which supports 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i video signals.
- A/V Input and Output: In addition, the Panasonic DVD recorder features both a composite and S-video inputs and outputs that share an analog stereo RCA input and output. The composite video and S-video inputs and outputs support up to 480i.
- Digital Audio Out: The Panasonic DMR-EZ28K features a optical digital audio output to connect the unit to your home theater receiver for Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound.
- RF Input and Output: Since the DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder features a built-in tuner, the unit is equipped with a threaded RF coaxial input and output.
Front-Panel Connections: The following connections are found on the front-panel of the Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder.
- A/V Input: The DVD recorder is equipped with a composite video and S-video input on the front panel that share an analog audio stereo RCA input.
- USB Port: The DMR-EZ28K is also equipped with a front-panel USB type-A port for USB mass storage class devices up to 32 GB. The unit supports playback of MP3 audio files, JPEG still images and DivX video recorded onto a USB mass storage device with FAT16 or FAT32 file system.
- SD-Card Slot: In addition, the Panasonic DVD recorder features a standard SD card slot which supports SD (8MB-2GB) and SDHC (4GB-16GB) memory cards, as well as mini-SD and micro-SD memory cards (with adapter) for JPEG still image playback. This unit is compatible with SD memory Cards that meet SD Card Specifications FAT 12 and FAT 16 formats, as well as SDHC Memory Cards in FAT 32 format.
- DV Input: The unit features a front-panel IEEE 1394 standard, 4-pin port for connecting a digital camcorder.
Note: The DV input is a one-way connection; you cannot operate the DV equipment from the recorder.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.