Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The 50" Panasonic TC-P50X1 is value-priced, but its beautifully lifelike picture can keep a roomful of viewers entranced. Colors look rich and natural, and contrast is crisp, with deep black levels. Panasonic understands this technology inside and out — they build more plasma TVs than anyone else in the world.
Panasonic's 2009 plasmas eliminate motion blur for a clearer picture
Plasma and LCD TVs are equally good at displaying still images, but when the action picks up the pace, plasma has a clear advantage. Panasonic's 2009 plasmas employ improved panel drive electronics that flash the screen's pixels on and off at high speed — 25% faster than last year's models. Video motion looks effortlessly smooth and clear.
Enjoy all your high-def video sources, and digital photos, too
The TC-P50X1's audio/video connections include three HDMI inputs for hooking up the latest high-def components. If you're using other recent Panasonic HDMI-equipped components, the VIERA Link system enables you to operate compatible models — like a Panasonic Blu-ray player — using only the TV's remote. A side-panel memory card slot lets you instantly share your digital photos on a big screen, which beats trying to crowd everyone around a computer monitor.
- 49.9" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1366 x 768 pixels
- 30,000:1 contrast ratio (1,000,000:1 dynamic)
- 600Hz Sub-field Drive anti-blur technology
- Deep Color support
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- VIERA Link simplifies control of compatible Panasonic components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 composite video (1 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video
- 3 HDMI v1.3 (2 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- side SD memory card slot for digital photo playback
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 18"W x 15-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 47-7/8"W x 29-1/2"H x 4-1/8"D (32-1/2"H x 15-1/8"D on stand)
- weight: 79.4 lbs. with stand; 75 lbs. without stand
- extra long-life panel (100,000 hours)
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Panasonic TC-P50X1 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great picture and sound
I have owned this Hi-def tv for 5 months now and all I can say is WOW!!!
The blacks are incredible ,all colors have sharp distinct definition.You will never look at
football the same again.The speed of this tv leaves no trailing shadows at all.Image
retention is virtually non-existant ,however there is an on-screen wash if needed.High
def movies are theater quality with sound you wouldn't expect to find in a tv.Easy to hook
up to your home theater for full surround or your favorite dvd player or gaming console.
The only fault I have found is it's not light to move around.
Oh I almost forgot any distance over 4-5 feet and you will never know it's not 1080
resolution.Great buy for the money.
720P is fine unless you do BluRay
great TV. 720p looks great - unless you are looking at blueray - don't bother.
My Panisonic TCP50X1
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The Panisonic TCP50X1 is a good value. I would recommend the purchase of this unit. Having a 52 inch Toshiba 1080i HD plasma flat panel unit (which costs significantly more) you can not tell the difference between the picture quality on the Panisonic 760. Another benefit of the Panisonic unit is the sound quality is far better than the Toshiba. I have a Sony Surround Sound System and the sound quality of the Panisonic unit can make you feel like you are in a theater without the Surround Sound System, where the Toshiba unit needs the Surround Sound System for the same or better experience.
What's in the box?
- 50" Widescreen plasma TV
- Wireless remote control (N2QAYB000321)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Pedestal base
- 2 Pedestal poles
- 4 Machine screws (M5 x 18mm)
- 4 Machine screws (M5 x 25mm)
- Cleaning cloth
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Span/Fren)
- HD setup guide (Eng/Span/Fren)
- Product Registration card
- Panasonic Customer Care Plan card (extended service plan)
- Child Safety/Digital Television Transition Notice
- "Addendum for corrections in manual" sheet
- "Maintain Shiny Parts" notice
- Stand Assembly diagram
Features and Specs
Built-in Tuners: The TV has both analog (NTSC) and digital (ATSC) tuners, as well as a QAM tuner for unencrypted cable signals. With these built-in tuners, you don't have to purchase a separate digital set-top box to receive and decode HDTV/SDTV signals.
Native Resolution: The TC-P50X1 has a display resolution of 1366 x 768. All incoming signals are converted to this native resolution. The HDMI digital and component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i, and will display them as 1366 x 768.
600Hz Sub-field Drive: The 600Hz Sub-field Drive produces crisp, focused images for sports, dramatic action, and all other fast-moving scenes. Your full-HD movies and games will look clear and sharp.
1,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio: The Panasonic TC-P50X1 Widescreen VIERA plasma HDTV utilizes an infinite black panel that has a native contrast ratio of 30,000:1 and dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1.
Anti-Reflective Filter: The TV's flat panel features a new AR (anti-reflective) screen coating that acts as a filter to reduce annoying reflections and improve picture quality.
4,096 Shades of Gradation: Plasma displays can suffer from an artifact called false contouring, where transitions between different shades of the same color are too sharp. These transitions can appear as distinct lines between the different shades of color. Having 4,096 shades of gradation helps minimize the false contouring artifact so color transitions take on a smooth, natural appearance.
Deep Color Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Deep Color technology that corresponds with the HDMI Version 1.3 specification. This technology supports higher bit rates and more color possibilities than previous HDTV signals.
Aspect Modes: Depending on the input signal, you can choose one of the following aspect modes:
- 4:3: displays a 4:3 picture at its standard size with bars along the sides
- Zoom: magnifies the picture uniformly (vertically and horizontally) to fill the screen, so the top and bottom are cut off (recommended for letter box sources)
- stretches a 4:3 picture horizontally to fill the screen (recommended for anamorphic sources)
- 16:9 source displayed in original aspect
- Just: stretches a 4:3 picture to fill the screen but with aspect correction applied to the sides of the screen so that elongation is only apparent at the left and right edges of the screen (recommended for normal TV broadcasts)
- H-Fill: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally to fill the screen, the side edges are cut off
Picture Menu: The Menu list allows you to make the following adjustments in picture quality:
- Picture Modes: You can choose one of the following
- Vivid: provides enhanced contrast and sharpness when viewing in a well lit room
- Standard: recommended for normal viewing conditions with subdued room lighting
- Cinema: for watching movies in a darkened room, provides a soft, film-like picture
- Game: for playing video games. The mode will be set automatically if "GAME" is selected from the input label setting.
- Custom: adjust picture, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness
- Color Temperature: This feature selects the level of warm colors (red) and cool colors (blue). You can choose from a Cool, Normal, or Warm setting.
- C.A.T.S: Adjusts the brightness and gradation according to the ambient lighting condition. You can select On or Off.
- Video NR: Video Noise Reduction removes snow from a weaker analog TV signal.
- Zoom Adjust: adjusts the vertical alignment and size when aspect setting "Zoom" is selected.
- Advanced Picture: Some advanced picture settings include:
- Digital Comb Filter: The motion adaptive 3D-YC comb filter minimizes noise and cross-color in the picture when the composite video input is used.
- Color Matrix: When viewing a signal input through the component video inputs, this TV will automatically optimize the color parameters based on the color matrix setting:
- MPEG NR: Reduces the block noise specific to digital signals from DVDs, STB's etc.
- Black Level: You can adjust the TV's black level to Dark or Light.
- H Size: Adjust horizontal display range to reduce noise of both side edges of an image or adjust image size according to aspect mode for reducing noise.
Anti-Image Retention Features: The TV's Pixel Orbiter feature helps to prevent image retention (burn-in) by shifting the display image. You can set the feature to automatic or force, and designate the time interval for the "Force" setting as 1, 2, 3, or 4. You can also change the brightness of the side bars that appear in 4:3 mode, or start a scrolling white vertical bar across the screen to prevent burn-in.
Photo Viewer: The SD card slot on the side-panel of the TC-P50X1 allows you to view JPEG photos from an SD, SDHC or miniSD card (an adapter is required to use a miniSD card). The maximum capacity for each type of media are: SDHC (16GB), SD Card (2GB), miniSD card (1GB). You can view images as thumbnails (up to 12 images), view them individually allowing you to rotate the image 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise or view them as a slide show, with adjustable picture duration. You can adjust the time duration for the slide show (Very fast, Fast, Medium, Slow, Very slow). You can also adjust the TV's picture settings (Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, Sharpness) for your still photos.
Audio Menu: In addition to bass, treble, and balance, the TV's audio menu includes the following advanced features:
- Surround Function: The surround function enhances audio response when listening to stereo programming. This function is active only for the TV's built-in speakers.
- Volume Leveler: The Volume Leveler monitors the difference in audio levels between inputs and minimizes the change in volume when you change inputs. This function is active only for the TV's built-in speakers.
Closed Caption: The television includes a built-in decoder that is capable of providing a text display of the audio. The program being viewed must be transmitting Closed Caption (CC) information. The TV features analog and digital close captions:
- CC 1-4: displays information related to pictures (appears at bottom of screen)
- T 1-4: displays textual information (appears over entire screen)
- Digital: The digital Closed Caption menu lets you configure the way you choose to view the digital captions when viewing a digital station with (CC). You can adjust size, font, style, foreground, opacity, background and outline settings.
Input Labels: Each input can be labeled to reflect the source connected. The label options are Skip, VCR, DVD, Cable, Satellite, DVR, Game, Aux, Receiver, Computer, Blu-ray, Camera, DVD REC, Home Thtr, Monitor, Media CTR, Media EXT, other and (blank). If "Skip" is selected, the TV/Video button will skip the input.
Station Caption: You change a channel's station name to a custom seven character name.
Favorite Channels: Channel numbers can be registered as Favorites and displayed in the TV's Favorite Tune menu for easier access.
Lock: The Lock function has four settings to block viewing of particular channels or inputs. You create a 4-digit password that's required to bypass the lock. The available settings are:
- Off: nothing is locked
- All: all channels and external inputs are locked
- Game: channels 3 and 4 and the video inputs are locked
- Channel: locks up to seven specific channels
- Program: block programs based on their TV or movie rating
Programmable On/Off Timers: The programmable timers allow you to program the TV set to turn itself on and off at designated times, on designated days, tuned to designated channels. Up to 5 events can be programmed using the timers. An event can have multiple episodes (Daily, Mon-Fri, Every Wed, etc).
Sleep Timer: This television features a built-in sleep timer, set by remote control, that turns the TV off automatically after 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
ECO/Power Saving: To conserve energy, the automatically turns off when no signal and no operation is performed for more than 10 minutes. Also to conserve energy, the TV automatically turns off when no operation of remote or side panel keys continue for more than 3 hours.
Remote Control: The supplied remote is programmed to operate this unit only. The OK button and directional keys allow you to move the on-screen selector, making menu navigation simple and efficient. The remote control will also operate certain functions of Panasonic equipment with "HDAVI Control" connected by HDMI automatically through the TV's VIERA Link feature.
VIERA Link: VIERA Link HDAVI Control lets you operate all of your Panasonic "HDAVI Control" compatible home theater components connected by HDMI by pressing a single button on your TV's remote control. Panasonic equipment with the "HDAVI Control" function enables the following operations: Automatic input switching, Power on link, Power off link, Speaker control, and One-touch theater playback. Equipment with HDAVI Control 2 (or more) function enables the following operations: Providing the setting information, Automatic lip-sync function, and auto-power standby.
HDMI Inputs: The TC-P50X1 has 2 rear-panel HDMI inputs and 1 side-panel HDMI input. All of the HDMI terminals can accommodate copy-protected digital signals (HDCP) from other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i inputs. Either HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3 can be used with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter along with the left and right RCA audio jacks assigned to Component 1, Component 2, Video 1 or Video 2 (for the audio portion of the signal).
Component Video Inputs: The two rear-panel component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i inputs.
Composite/S-Video Inputs: The Plasma TV features a rear and side-panel composite video input, along with a rear-panel S-Video input. The rear-panel composite and S-Video input share a pair of stereo RCA audio inputs.
Digital Audio Out: The rear-panel optical digital output allows you to send a Dolby Digital bit stream to a Dolby Digital receiver or decoder. If the program doesn't include a Dolby Digital soundtrack, a 2-channel PCM bit stream is output.
SD Card Slot: The television features a side panel SD-card slot for viewing JPEG images stored on an optional SD-card (sold separately). The SD-card slot is compatible with SDHC cards up to 16GB, SD cards up to 2GB, and miniSD cards up to 1GB (miniSD cards require a miniSD card adapter).
Pedestal Base: The TC-P50X1 includes a pedestal base for cabinet-top mounting. The base comes unassembled, and unattached to the TV, so assembly is required. With the pedestal base the TV weighs 79.4 pounds.
Wall Mounting: On the back of the TV are four threaded inserts to attach an optional wall mount bracket. The inserts require M8 (8mm) machine screws. The horizontal hole spacing is 400mm and the vertical hole spacing of 300mm. Without the pedestal base attached, the TV weighs 75.0 pounds.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.