Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Get into mobile video with Panasonic's CY-VHD9500U overhead monitor. Panasonic wrapped a DVD player and a 9" fold-down overhead LCD monitor in a sleek, jet black, low-profile package. The DVD player also plays CDs, including recordable discs loaded with MP3 files. Insert an SD memory card into the SD slot, and back seat passengers can check out family photos on the monitor great for the trip home from vacation!
System control is simple, thanks to the remote and on-screen menus. The A/V inputs let you add a source like a VCR or video camera. And don't worry if you have to cover your dome light to install it; the built-in dome light can be wired to take its place. The built-in infrared transmitter sends the audio to the two included sets of wireless headphones.
Please note: Overhead monitor installation is a complex and lengthy process it is recommended for experienced installers only.
- overhead monitor with 9" LCD manual fold-down screen (16:9 aspect ratio)
- built-in single-disc DVD player
- includes two sets of wireless headphones
- plays audio CDs and MP3 discs
- SD slot
- jet black finish
- Day & Night styling (blue glow around the top at night)
- two audio/video inputs
- audio/video output
- optical digital output for connection to an optional Panasonic multi-channel processor
- IR transmitter for wireless headphones
- built-in dome lights
- swivels for optimum viewing angle
- wireless remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Panasonic CY-VHD9500U Reviews
What's in the box?
- Overhead console with built-in 9" widescreen color LCD monitor and DVD/SD card player
- 2 Pairs Wireless stereo headphones
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Car AV Wireless remote control (YEFX9995179)
- CR2025 Lithium battery
- 20" Vehicle side power harness (with 3-pin Molex plug and in-line 3A fuse and noise filter)
- 16-1/4' Main unit side power harness
- 3/4" x 1-1/8" Piece of Velcro
- Six 4" screws (black)
- Six 1-1/4" screws (black)
- Twelve 3/8" screws (black)
- Six 3/8" screws (brass)
- 6 Flat washers
- 6 Lock washers
- 6 Push nuts
- 12 Hex nuts
- Two 3-3/4" wire ties
- Six 3-1/8" spacer washers
- Six 1mm spacer washers
- Six 2mm spacer washers
- Six 3mm spacer washers
- Base mounting plate
- 2 Slide plates (upper and lower)
- Operating Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Installation Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Cleaning cloth (3-7/8" square)
- Cardboard template
- Warranty/Purchase Information card
- Customer Care card (Extended warranty offer)
- Sheet "Concerning IR Wireless Headphones" and "Concerning SD Memory Card"
- Warranty Card (Canada)
9" Widescreen Monitor: The unit features a 9" widescreen 16:9 TFT Active Matrix LCD. The screen has a total of 336,960 pixels, and is compatible with NTSC sources only. In addition to the built-in DVD/CD player, the unit has 2 A/V inputs and an A/V output to an optional monitor.
Adjustable Display Angle: For the best viewing angle, you can manually tilt the monitor up to 120° and swivel the monitor left or right 30°.
Picture Adjustments: For optimal picture quality, you can make the following adjustments to the monitor: dimmer (auto, 1-4), contrast (-15 to +15), brightness (-15 to +15), color (-15 to +15), and tint (-15 to +15).
Aspect Ratio Modes: You can choose from the following aspect ratio modes:
- Normal: displays an image with an aspect ratio of 4:3 (with black bars on the left and right)
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen
- Zoom: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges
- Just: expands the left and right sides of 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen
Dome Light: This overhead monitor features two built-in dome lights. As you would find in many vehicles, the dome light switch has three positions: On (constant), Door (turns on/off as door is open/closed) and Off.
Disc Compatibility: The built-in DVD/CD player is compatible with the following discs: DVD-Video, Video CD, audio CD, audio CD-R/CD-RW, and MP3 CD.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level2, Romeo, Joliet, and Apple Extension to ISO 9660 formats. MP3 files with a compression rate from 128 kbps or more are supported, and the player will support up to 8 trees, 254 folders and 512 total files.
Dynamic Range Compression: If the audio on a DVD is too loud and you can't hear low-level sound, such as dialogue, you can turn on the dynamic range compression. You can choose from the following settings: Minimum (greatest compression), Standard (recommended by software manufacturer), or Off.
SD Card Slot: The SD Card slot allows you to play JPEG still pictures, MPEG4 moving pictures, SD Audio files (MPEG2-AAC files recorded with Panasonic Media Manager or SD-Jukebox software) or G.726 Voice files recorded on a SD Memory Card.
Wireless Headphones: Two sets of wireless stereo headphones are included in the package. The headphones receive an infrared signal from the overhead monitor, and have a On/Off switch and an LED power indicator. The headphones are powered by 2 "AAA" batteries (supplied), which will provide approximately 18 hours of continuous operation under normal use.
Remote Control: The supplied wireless remote control can control most of the functions and settings for the monitor/DVD player. With the exception of Power, Play/Pause, and Disc Eject, all of the other controls for this unit are performed by the remote control.
A/V Inputs and Outputs: This unit features two A/V inputs and one A/V output, each with RCA stereo audio and composite video jacks. One set of inputs (VTR1-In) is integrated into the main power/signal wiring harness. The other set of inputs (VTR2-In) is conveniently located on the back of the overhead console to give you easy access for plugging in a camcorder or video game. The output jacks (VTR Out), which feed an optional outboard monitor, are on a short cord on the top of the console, and are designed to be connected out of sight inside the roof liner.
Digital Output: A proprietary 4-pin optical digital jack is located on the top of the console for connecting the unit to an optional multi-channel processor (such as the Panasonic CY-AC300).
Dome Light Wiring: Wiring is provided for hardwiring the unit's dual dome lights to the vehicle's wiring. The dome light wires include a yellow (+12V constant), black (ground), and white (to the door switch) lead.
- Frequency Response (CD): 20Hz to 20kHz
- Frequency Response (DVD): 20Hz to 22kHz (48 kHz sampling)
- Frequency Response (DVD): 20Hz to 44kHz (96 kHz sampling)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 95dB
- Output Voltage: 1.8 Vrms (600 ohms)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.