JL Audio Stealthbox®
Custom-fit enclosure with 10" W6v2 subwoofer
Fits 2006-up Volkswagen GTI and Rabbit
Item #: 13694349
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $749.99
The JL Audio Stealthbox® custom-fit subwoofer delivers incredible bass in a package that takes up minimal space and blends in with your vehicle's interior. JL Audio designs Stealthboxes to fit in specific vehicles, then loads them with appropriate subwoofers for optimal performance. Pair the system with an appropriate amp and wiring for stellar concealed bass.
Perfect sound to go with the perfect fit
JL Audio puts months of research and design into each Stealthbox® custom-fit subwoofer to ensure not only that it fits, but that it sounds better than any other custom enclosed system. First, JL Audio determines the ideal shape and mounting location for each enclosure, so that it looks like an original part of the vehicle it's designed for. Next, they mount each high-performance subwoofer so it delivers amazing firepower from within its unique enclosure, without sacrificing clarity or musical depth.
The fiberglass enclosure offers superior rigidity while allowing more interior volume, so the sub can turn out louder, deeper bass. JL Audio craftsmen then laminate, grind, join, and finish each Stealthbox® by hand. The end result: full-bodied, distortion-free bass from an impressively stealthy enclosure.
Enjoy enhanced, custom-fit sound
This single Stealthbox® enclosure fits in the driver side rear corner of the trunk of 2006-up Volkswagen GTI and Rabbit models. It includes one W6v2 10" 4-ohm dual voice coil subwoofer from JL Audio, wired for 2-ohm mono impedance. A steel-mesh grille protects the sub. Please check with us before purchasing by using the vehicle selector on our site, or calling a Sales Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to verify fit information.
JL Audio has rated the difficulty of this Stealthbox® installation as low. You should be able to install this enclosure if you have any experience with car audio.
- Stealthbox® custom-fit subwoofer
- sealed fiberglass enclosure
- W6v2 10" 4-ohm DVC subwoofer wired for 2-ohm mono
- steel-mesh grille included
- fits in the driver side rear corner of the trunk
- power handling: 150-600 watts RMS (1,200 watts peak power)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Vehicle-specific enclosures with subs? Say what?
Instead of the usual sub in a box, the manufacturer creates a molded enclosure that fits perfectly into a convenient spot in your specific vehicle, housing a high-quality sub. Some enclosures even include a built-in amp, for the ultimate in stealth bass. The advantages? You don't lose much space (if any), your sub is perfectly matched to its enclosure, and your enclosure has a factory look that won't tell potential thieves you have an awesome sound system. Doesn't get better than that.
JL Audio Stealthbox® Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
if you love base as much as you love your VW then this is absolutely the best. Forget all the technical mumbo jumbo. Get a powerful amp and watch the sub blow your mind. I have been pounding mine for 2 years and it absolutely blows the doors off. Had mine installed by my local speed shop with a Kenwood 1000 watt amp and a capacitor to provide clean power to the rig. It fits perfectly into the corner of the trunk. Such a clean install look. Almost as if WV designed it themselves. This rig is so good I suspect that the folks at JL designed it for their own WV golfs,rabbits and Gti's. It really is that good. People think have two 12 inch subs taking up the trunk. Thanks JL and Crutchfield for the best piece of audio that money can buy for your VW.
Great Sound with Space Preservation!
2009 Volkswagen GTI
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
So I bought this for my 2009 GTI. Put and Alpine 1.600 amp in that matches the
rating perfectly. Sounds Great! A lot of hard thumps, but clean and smooth.
Very little distortion at high volumes. Don't expect it to rattle your neighbors
windows, but will definitely let them know you're coming.
Great for those people who want some great sounding bass and still keep your
other frequencies audible.
Powerful and musical
2008 Volkswagen GTI
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
If you want to keep your trunk space, this is the way to go. Don't think it's a compromise in performance, though, as this sub pounds out some really deep bass, that's also very clean and accurate. It's hard to believe a 10" sub can output bass like this, but I had no problem getting it to blend with my speakers, x-over at 80Hz. I'm feeding it 500 watts with an Alpine MRP-M500 at 2 ohms. This dual-voice-coil sub is wired for 2 ohms only so be aware of this when selecting your amp. It's also pretty light compared to a standard box.
Installation was fairly straightforward, but when you drill the hole for the wheel well, make sure to keep all the foam around the spare tire in place so it aligns properly. You have to remove the sub again to get at your taillights now so that's kind of a pain. Lastly, the price is kinda steep, but you get a beefy W6 with few compromises in performance or cargo space.
What's in the box?
- Custom subwoofer box with loaded 10" woofer
- Installation Guide
- Warranty sheet
Overview: JL Audio's Stealthbox subwoofer systems are designed to hide away in a specific vehicle. Please consult "Outfit My Car" to confirm compatibility with your vehicle.
Construction: Stealthboxes are hand-crafted from fiberglass and/or Advanced Molded Composite (AMC) materials. Fiberglass delivers a level of enclosure rigidity and dimensional stability not possible with other enclosure materials, allowing wall thickness to be reduced compared to a typical wood enclosure. This gives you more interior box volume for a given external volume. Fiberglass and AMC materials are very strong and can be molded into very complex shapes; giving JL Audio the ability to design your Stealthbox to fit perfectly into tight spots and minimize intrusion into your vehicle's useful space. Each Stealthbox is laminated, ground, joined, and finished by hand in the USA. Proprietary techniques and materials developed by JL Audio through years of fiberglass manufacturing experience ensure consistent quality and performance.
Woofer: One 10-inch, dual 4-ohm voice coil W6v2 woofer is installed in this sealed enclosure and wired for a 2-ohm load at the Stealth Box's speaker terminals.
- W-Cone: The JL Audio W6v2 subwoofer utilizes a W-Cone design, a unit-body cone assembly, that delivers astonishing cone stiffness with minimal mass. The shape also provides incredible torsional rigidity, which is critical to maintaining voice coil alignment at the suspension limits. In order to gain maximum stiffness, two lightweight mineral-filled polypropylene skins are bonded together at the perimeter and the center of the assembly. The lower skin's cross-section is shaped like a "W", and provides incredible rigidity when bonded to the dished upper skin.
- Dynamic Motor Analysis (DMA): DMA is JL Audio's proprietary method aimed at improving dynamic motor behavior. As a result of DMA optimization, W6v2 motors remain linear in motor force over a very long range of excursion, and also maintain a highly stable fixed magnetic field in the gap over a wide power range. The result is vastly reduced distortion, faithfully reproduced transients, and tight, clean, articulate bass.
- Floating Cone Attachment Method (FCAM): JL Audio's patented FCAM technology is an innovative method of bonding the surround/cone assembly to the voice coil/spider assembly. This assembly technique ensures proper surround geometry in the assembled speaker for better excursion control and dynamic voice coil alignment.
- Engineered Lead-Wire System: The co-extruded lead wires work in conjunction with critically-engineered entry and exit support structures to achieve flawless high-excursion operation. The flying lead design does not compromise spider linearity or radial stability the way "woven in" lead wire designs do.
- Progressive-Roll Spider: The large, progressive-roll spider provides precise control and motor/voice coil alignment without limiting excursion prematurely.
- Ventilation: The woofer's large, diffused pole-vent works in conjunction with specifically engineered molded "NeckVents" in the lower cone body to remove hot air from the voice coil gap. This pole vent is located around the JL Audio badge at the rear of the speaker. The elevated frame design of the W6v2 delivers high-velocity air flow through slots directly above the top plate to the voice coil of the speaker. This not only enhances power handling, but also sound quality by minimizing dynamic parameter shifts and power compression.
- Terminal Jumper System: The W6v2 features dual voice coils with a single set of spring-loaded push terminals and the Terminal Jumper System. The Terminal Jumper System consists of four voice coil configuration tab terminals, located behind the push terminals, that are used to interconnect the dual voice coils in one of two ways--series or parallel. The system comes from the factory with two jumpers configured in a parallel fashion, resulting in a 2-ohm load presented at the speaker terminals. To switch to a series connection, you should use one jumper connected from "VC1-" to "VC2+". The series connection presents an 8-ohm load to the speaker terminals.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.