Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Hiking, biking, driving, or geocaching any time you need to know where you are (or how to get where you're going), a Garmin GPS handheld is your indispensable companion!
The eTrex Legend is a compact, handheld navigation unit that can provide position accuracy to less than three meters. It comes loaded with a full basemap of North and South America, containing lakes, rivers, cities, interstates, national and state highways, railroads, and coastlines. The eTrex Legend is also equipped with 8MB of internal memory, for downloading additional map data from any of Garmin's MapSource® CD-ROMs.
You can find your destination by selecting a city or point of interest, or by entering coordinates, then by using the visual map. The Legend lets you save 500 waypoints and 20 routes, and automatically remembers your last 10 tracks (paths of travel). The trip computer tracks speed, distance, and time. And it'll even tell you the best times for hunting and fishing in a region!
Read a hands-on review of the eTrex Legend at CrutchfieldAdvisor.com!
- 12 parallel channel GPS receiver continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position
- WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) capability improves accuracy to within 3 meters
- pre-loaded with Garmin's Americas Highway basemap, plus Garmin's Marine Point Database (Americas)
- 8MB internal memory for downloading additional map data from Garmin MapSource CD-ROMs (RS-232 PC connection cable included)
- translucent, waterproof, bright blue case
- stores 20 routes, 500 waypoints
- "Find" feature locates waypoints, cities, and interstate exits, plus points of interest, street addresses, and intersections (if loaded into the eTrex Legend from a Garmin MapSource CD-ROM)
- trip computer calculates current speed, average speed, time of sunrise/sunset, and trip distance
- requires two "AA" batteries (not included)
- estimated battery life: up to 18 hours (typical use)
- waterproof design (can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
- 2-5/16"W x 4-7/16"H x 1-3/8"D
- weight: 5.3 oz. (with batteries)
- warranty: 1 year
Garmin eTrex Legend Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This is my first GPS unit, and I bought it a little over a year ago. The etrex is very versatile, and I've used it for geocaching, mapping, mountain biking, and just about everything else. Great unit for the price. No complaints here.
Garmin eTrex Legend
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The Legend works great. This is the fourth Garmin I have bought over the years and it is right up there with the quality and accuracy you'd expect from Garmin. I'm a long haul truck driver and I use it as an aid. So far it hasn't gotten me lost.(ha ha)
What's in the box?
- Handheld GPS unit
- 7' RS-232 PC interface cable (has an RS-232 connector on one end and a proprietary connector on the other end)
- 1 Lanyard
- Owner's manual and reference guide
- Quick Start Guide
Overview: The eTrex Legend combines Garmin's Marine Point Database (Americas) and a basemap of North, Central, and South America, with an electronic compass. The Legend is designed to provide precise GPS positioning using correction data obtained from the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS). This unit will provide position accuracy to less than three meters when receiving WAAS corrections.
Waterproof Design: The Legend can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
Receiver: The 12 parallel channel GPS receiver continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position.
Main Pages: All of the information you need to operate the eTrex Legend can be found on the following main pages or display screens: Satellite, Map, Navigation, Trip Computer, and Main Menu.
Satellite Page: The Satellite Page provides a picture of satellite signal tracking, tells you when the unit is ready for navigation, and shows your location coordinates.
Map Page: The Map Page displays your present position and direction of movement using a triangular 'Position Icon' that is centered on the map. The map also displays geographic details such as rivers, lakes, highways, and towns. As you travel, the map display leaves a "trail" (track log) of your movements.
Navigation Page: The Navigation Page provides active guidance with a rotating compass ring that shows your course over ground (track) while you're moving and a bearing pointer to indicate the current direction to your destination (bearing) relative to the course over ground.
Trip Computer Page: The Trip Computer Page displays up to 8 different types of navigation data that are user programmable. Each data field is selectable and can contain one of many data information options.
Main Menu Page: The Main Menu Page provides you with a directory of the eTrex Legend's advanced features. From this page, you can mark and create new waypoints, find map items (such as cities, interstate exits, addresses, points of interest, etc.), create routes, save tracks, setup system operating features, or access and use unit accessories.
Navigating with eTrex Legend: There are three methods of navigating when using the eTrex Legend and each is graphically displayed on the Map Page.
- Goto: a direct path to a selected destination (waypoint, city, address, etc.)
- Track: a previous path of travel that has been stored (logged) in the eTrex Legend. A Track allows you to repeat a path or to return to your starting point on the same path using the TracBack feature.
- Route: a path to a destination consisting of intermediate stops along the way (waypoints, cities, highway exits, points of interest, intersections, etc.)
Accessory Applications: The Legend features the following accessory applications:
- Sun and Moon: provides you with a graphic display of both sun and moon positioning for a certain date, time, and location with times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset
- Calendar: provides you with a monthly calendar with programmable reference notes. You can display one monthly calendar of days at a time and mark days on each with reference notes. You can create reference notes for multiple months and for months in years yet to come. You can record 100 notes with up to 18 characters in each note.
- Hunt and Fish: provides you with a listing of best times for hunting and fishing for a chosen location and date
- Area Calculator: provides you an area calculation as you move about a location or view a saved track. The area calculation displays in acres, hectares, square feet, square yards, square meters, square kilometers, and square miles.
- Calculator: provides you with all the basic functions of a standard calculator and scientific calculator
8MB Internal Memory for Downloading Maps: You can transfer detailed map data to the eTrex Legend from a Garmin MapSource CD-ROM, such as MetroGuide, Points of Interest, Fishing Hot Spots, Topographic maps, Roads and Recreations, and WorldMap mapping guides. The Legend can accept up to 8 MB of data from any MapSource program loaded on a PC and connected to the eTrex Legend data port.
Note: Your computer must have an RS-232 serial port to use the supplied PC interface cable.
BlueChart Compatible: BlueChart cartography is Garmin's exclusive marine cartography. This line of cartography products is designed to provide interactive viewing of detailed nautical chart data, thereby providing navigators with innovative object-oriented cartography. These detailed electronic nautical charts look just like paper charts when displayed on your Garmin chartplotter. Features include shading between depth contours, spot soundings, navaids, port plans, wrecks, obstructions, inter-tidal zones, and more.
- Receiver: Differential-ready, 12 parallel channel
- Acquisition Time:
- approximately 15 seconds (warm start)
- approximately 45 seconds (EZinit/cold start)
- approximately 5 minutes (First Time/AutoLocate)
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- GPS Accuracy: <15 meters (49 feet) RMS, 95% typical
- DGPS (USGC) Accuracy: 3-5 meters (10-16 feet), 95% typical with DGPS corrections
- DGPS (WAAS) Accuracy: <3 meters (10 feet), 95% typical with DGPS corrections
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.05 meters/sec steady state
- Dynamics: Performs to specifications to 6 gs
- Interfaces: NMEA 0183, RTCM 104 (for DGPS corrections) and RS-232 for PC interface
- Weight: 5.3 ounces
- Battery Life: Up to 18 hours of typical use in Battery Saver mode
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.