Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony pulls out all the stops for this Wega XBR! Combining a totally flat 36" screen with advanced circuitry used in Sony's latest projection TVs, the KV-36XBR400 delivers stunningly sharp images with lifelike depth and vivid, natural colors. It's also designed with enough flexibility to maximize your viewing pleasure no matter what your video source DVD, VCR, DBS, or breathtakingly clear 1080i HDTV broadcasts using a separate DTV tuner.
Although the screen has the standard 4:3 aspect ratio, widescreen sources like HDTV programming and "anamorphic" DVDs are displayed in a 16:9 "window": No scanning lines are wasted on the black bars above and below the window, so you see maximum detail. Sony's ingenious "16:9 Enhanced" mode maximizes picture quality on anamorphic DVDs. Where most TVs reduce the number of scanning lines and resolution of anamorphic DVDs by 30%, 16:9 Enhanced mode slightly compresses the height of each line so you see the full 480 scanning lines!
Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction helps bridge the gap between conventional NTSC video and HDTV. This "digital mapping" technology creates images with up to four times the picture density of the original signal. When you watch DRC-enhanced conventional video sources especially DVD you'll find that scan lines simply seem to disappear!
Sony's Twin-View 2-Tuner Picture and Picture can place two equal-sized pictures side-by-side, and thanks to Multi-Image Driver X circuitry, you can then zoom one picture up and the other one down! Very cool.
- Hi-Scan 1080i Display (Hi-Scan component video input accepts all DTV formats when connected to an external DTV tuner and displays them at 1080i or 480p; also accepts 480p output from a compatible DVD player)
- Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction (upconverts NTSC sources to 960i or 480p)
- 3D digital comb filter
- 4:3 screen aspect ratio
- automatic "16:9 Enhanced" viewing mode for anamorphic DVDs
- Twin View Picture and Picture with Multi-Image Driver X
- Velocity Modulation Scanning (selectable)
- MTS stereo reception
- TruSurround processing
- 181-channel tuner
- V-Chip parental control
- multibrand remote
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video (accepts 1080i/480p/480i)
- 2 RF inputs
- fixed or variable audio outputs
- 15 watts x 2 of audio power
- 39-1/4"W x 29-3/4"H x 24-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor, 2 years parts on the picture tube
FREE In-home delivery! Because of its large size, the KV-36XBR400 will be delivered to any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
Sony KV-36XBR400 Reviews
What's in the box?
- 36-inch stereo television; RM-Y174 remote with 2 "AA" batteries; Manual; Warranty card; Survey; Caution note warning against hand cart use
Features and Specs
|Picture in Picture||2 Tuner|
|Audio Output Power||15 watts x 2|
|Parts Warranty||1 YR/CRT 2|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Type of Warranty Service||---|
|Footprint Width (inches)||---|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||---|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Side Panel Composite Inputs||---|
|Side Panel Component Video Inputs||---|
|Rear Composite Video Inputs||3|
|Rear Component Video Inputs||2|
|Total Video Inputs||6|
FD Trinitron flat glass panel delivers images that are virtually distortion free and help eliminate screen glare.
Dynamic Picture Processor maintains image detail in both bright and dark areas of a scene
DRC-MF (Digital Reality Creation, Multi-function): Allows you to enjoy a very high resolution picture from any source by using digital processing to increase NTSC resolution to 960i (4 times regular NTSC). This produces a finer, more detailed image with fewer visible scan lines. You can select Interlaced mode (recommended for moving pictures) or progressive mode (recommended for still images and text).
Hi-Scan 1080i display: This unit has two component video inputs which allow you to connect sources with component video outputs (either standard NTSC or 480p, such as DVD players) or an optional set-top digital box with component video output. These inputs will display 1080i signals as 1080i; 720p signals as 1080i; 480p inputs as 480p and 480i inputs (regular NTSC) as 960i (through the use of Digital Reality Creation)
Auto 16:9 Enhanced Mode (V-Compression): This set uses a special technique that gives you maximum picture quality when using anamorphic sources, such as some DVDs. When using an anamorphic source, the height of each scanning line is compressed for 33% better resolution, giving you the benefit of all 480 scanning lines. You can select from auto (activates automatically when a 16:9 signal is received), On (turns this feature on manually) or Off (turns it off)
V-Chip Parental Control allows you to limit the shows that can be viewed based on the television rating system.
3D Digital Comb Filter: Sony's best comb filter uses frame memory to compare each TV scanning line with the corresponding line in the previous and following frames - in addition to the lines above and below. This gives maximum resolution and reduces video noise.
Velocity modulation scanning gives objects a more detailed edge. You can select one of three levels or turn it off.
To enhance the sound from the set you can select TruSurround (adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs); Simulated which adds a surround-like effect to mono channels, or Off.
Steady Sound stabilizes the volume level (may be turned on or off).
Dynamic Acoustic Chamber Speaker System provides full, rich sound from the built in speakers.
Twin View Multi-Image Driver: Allows you to watch two programs side by side with the ability to zoom in on any one of the two pictures. You can change the size of either the left or right picture and freeze a picture. You can watch pictures from two different sources (such as 1080i and 480p) simultaneously.
Favorite channel with preview allows you to store up to eight channels and to display a small window with the channel as you cycle through the options.
- Mode: You can select Movie, standard, vivid or Pro
- Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, or sharpness can be adjusted for each mode
- Color Temp (Color temperature): You can select Cool, Neutral or Warm
- VM (Velocity Modulation): You can select High, Medium, Low or Off
- DRC-MF (Digital Reality Creation-Multi Function): You can select Interlaced (Recommended for moving pictures) or Progressive (Recommended for still images and text)
- You can adjust the treble, bass, and balance
- Steady Sound on or off: Stabilizes volume
- Effect: You can select TruSurround (adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs); Simulated which adds a surround-like effect to mono channels, or Off
- MTS: You can select stereo, Auto-SAP or mono
- Speaker: You can turn the internal speakers on or off
- Audio out: You can select variable or fixed audio line output Only when speakers are turned off)
- Favorite Channel: Allows you to program up to 8 of your favorite channels to appear
- Cable: Can select on or off depending on if you are using cable or over the air programming
- Channel fix: Can select 2-6, Aux 2-6 or Video 1 (this is used when you are using an external tuner such as a DBS receiver or cable box)
- Auto Program: Automatically programs the set for all receivable channels
- Channel skip/Add
- Channel Label: Allows you to label up to 20 channels with up to 4 characters
- Parental Lock : Allows you to select a rating system (Off, Child, Youth, Young Adult or Custom), customize the rating and enter or change a 4 digit password
- Timer 1 and 2: Allows you to set up to two timers which will turn a preselected channel on and off (6 hour maximum)
- Current Time: Allows you to set the current time
- Daylight Savings: Can turn on and off to adjust for daylight savings time.
- Caption Vision: Can select CC1, 2, 3 or 4; Text1, 2, 3 or 4 or XDS
- Video label allows you to label all of the 6 video inputs with preset labels and to skip any unused video input
- Tilt Correction: Used to correct picture tilt (can adjust from +5 to -5 in steps of 1)
- Language: You can select the on-screen language (English/Spanish/French)
- 16:9 Enhanced: Allows you to select Auto (turns on automatically when a 16:9 signal is received), On (manual activation) and Off (manual deactivation). Note that when the set is in video mode 5-6 and a 480p signal is used you must turn this feature on and off manually.
- Demo: Allows you to run a demo of on-screen menus
Front input (under lid):
- RCA video and stereo audio and S-Video input (Video 2)
- Video 1 input (S-video, composite video and stereo audio)
- Video 3 input (S-video, composite video and stereo audio)
- Video 4 input (composite video and stereo audio)
- Monitor output (composite video and stereo audio )
- Audio output (RCA stereo)
- Video 5 HD/DVD input: Component video (Y/Pb/Pr) and stereo audio input accepts 1080i/480p/480i
- Video 6 HD/DVD input: Component video (Y/Pb/Pr) and stereo audio input accepts 1080i/480p/480i
- Control S (One input, one output, all are mono minijacks)
- RF Coax inputs (2, Aux and VHF/UHF)
- RF Coax output (labeled "To converter")
RMY-Y174 Remote: Multibrand remote with
function keys that illuminate in red and a numeric keypad, volume control and channel up
and down that glow in the dark (green). The transport controls and DVD controls
are under a lid that covers the top half of the remote. The remote has a
joystick that is used to select and control various junctions.
The remote controls the following DBS:
The remote controls the following cable boxes:
The remote controls the following VCRs:
|Admiral (M Ward)||Aiwa||Audio Dynamic||Broksonic||Canon|
|General Electric||Go Video||Goldstar||Hitachi||Instant Replay|
|JC Penny||JVC||Kenwood||LXI (Sears)||Magnavox|
The remote controls the following DVD Players:
The remote controls the following LaserDisc Players:
Warranty: Picture tube parts warranty is 2 years!
Weight is 238 lbs. Note that due to the unusually large size of this set, many stands made for a standard 36 inch television will be too small. If a stand is needed the stand made for this set is listed as an accessory.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.