Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's BRAVIA name means the same thing for flat-panel HDTVs that the Trinitron® badge meant in the tube-TV era guaranteed top-notch performance and reliability. The 40" KDL-40S3000 is part of Sony's latest "S-Series" line value-priced HDTVs that emphasize picture quality above all else.
10-bit LCD panel and video processing for more accurate colors
Two key factors determining LCD picture quality are the LCD panel and the video processing circuitry. The KDL-40S3000 is one of the first TVs we've seen to employ an LCD screen with 10-bit resolution. A 10-bit panel can display 1024 levels of color gradation compared to only 256 steps for conventional 8-bit panels. And 10-bit video processing fully utilizes the panel's exceptional color resolution to show even the subtlest shadings.
A wider range of colors, too
In an LCD television, the backlight determines the range of colors the TV can reproduce. A wider color range means that more vivid colors can be displayed. The KDL-40S3000 has a "wide color gamut" backlight that produces a greater range of red and green hues. No more lime-green grass and orange-y reds.
Automatically optimized brightness and contrast
All of Sony's BRAVIA "S-Series" LCDs include an adjustable backlight for matching picture brightness and contrast to your room's lighting. The KDL-40S3000 goes a step further by including a sophisticated contrast enhancer. A "dynamic backlighting" system automatically senses the average picture level of the video signal and adjusts the intensity of the backlight for improved contrast and deeper black levels. It's especially effective for critical viewing when your room lights are dimmed.
Lots of HD viewing options
The KDL-40S3000 has built-in tuners for your local digital and analog over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required). Plus, a "QAM" cable TV tuner lets cable subscribers tune in unscrambled channels without a set-top box including HD channels in many areas.
The generous "jack pack" has multiple inputs for high-resolution sources. For future-readiness, there's not one but two HDMI inputs, so you can add an HD satellite receiver as well as an "upconverting" DVD player or HD video game console. Sony's BRAVIA Theatre Sync HDMI-based control system lets you operate compatible Sony components using the TV's remote.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
Scheduled delivery to your door: This item will be delivered to the door of your house or apartment. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for an additional $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
- 40" widescreen HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio)
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1366 x 768 pixels
- 8-millisecond pixel response time
- 1600:1 contrast ratio (8000:1 dynamic)
- 178°(H) x 178°(V) viewing angle
- 10-bit display panel & video processing for over a billion possible colors
- BRAVIA Engine digital video processing
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) dynamic backlighting
- wide-range fluorescent backlight for extended color range
- 1-tuner Picture-in-Picture
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- BRAVIA Theatre Sync remote control networking system (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 2 S-video (1 rear, 1 side)
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- 2 HDMI (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- compatible with optional BRAVIA Internet Video Link
- Energy Star® compliant
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 19"W x 10-3/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 38-5/8"W x 25-1/4"H x 4-3/8"D (27-1/8"H x 10-3/8"D on stand)
- weight: 56 lbs. with stand; 47 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony KDL-40S3000 Reviews
What's in the box?
- 40" Widescreen LCD TV
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD018)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 8' AC power cord with in-line ferrite core
- 5.5" Support Belt
- Securing screw
- Wood screw
- Cable holder (installed)
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide (English)
- Quick Setup Guide (Spanish)
- US warranty information
- On-line Product Registration sheet
- Sony of Mexico registration card
- GPL/LGPL licensed software statement (English)
Features and Specs
Overview: The Sony KDL-40S3000 is a 40" diagonal flat panel LCD TV that features HDTV capabilities and a PC input. The TV comes mounted to a swivel tabletop stand which can be removed so the TV can be wall-mounted.
BRAVIA Engine Full Digital Video Processor: This television uses Sony's BRAVIA Engine full digital video processor for crisp and clear images. Several special picture enhancement technologies are integrated into the processor to create better gradations and details, enhance contrast, dynamically improve color, and reduce image flicker.
Native Resolution: The 10-bit 16:9 HD Resolution LCD panel has a native resolution of 1366 x 768 and all inputs are displayed in that resolution. The HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The composite video and S-video inputs will accept only 480i signals.
Xross Media Bar (XMB) On-Screen Menu System: The Xross Media Bar (XMB) provides quick access to various set-up functions and features. Media Category Icons (Adjust TV Settings, Watching TV, and Access Equipment Connected to Your TV) are displayed horizontally. Available features for each highlighted Media Category are displayed vertically. You can easily navigate the XMB using the "up, down, left, right" buttons on the remote to locate the desired option, and press the center button to activate it.
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: The Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) builds on Sony's excellent contrast ratio performance. The improved contrast ratio is achieved by using real-time image processing to adjust the contrast along with optimizing backlight levels. ACE translates to blacker blacks in darker scenes, as well as better shadow detail in other scenes for a difference you can see.
Live Color Creation: Live Color Creation is a special Sony function that achieves precise, wide color reproduction using a combination of advanced chroma signal processing algorithms. A special Wide Color Gamut (WCG-CCFL) backlight is combined with Sony's Live Color Creation circuitry. The benefit is clear blues, natural greens and overall vibrant colors in all scenes.
BRAVIA Theatre Sync: This TV is equipped with BRAVIA Theatre Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Once the supported equipment is connected, the following operations are available:
- Turn off the equipment automatically when you turn off the TV
- When the connected equipment is turned on by One-Touch-Play, the TV will automatically turn on and select the respective HDMI input
- Automatically turn on equipment listed under the External Inputs on the XMB when selected.
- When a Sony A/V
receiver with BRAVIA Theater Sync is connected the following additional
operations are possible:
- Turning on the A/V receiver when the TV is turned on
- Automatically switching to the audio output of the A/V receiver's attached speakers.
- Adjusting the volume and muting of the A/V receiver with the TV's remote control.
CineMotion 3/2 Pull Down Processing: CineMotion optimizes the display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3-2 pull down process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking. CineMotion can be turned off if desired.
PIP and P&P: The TV comes with PIP (picture in picture) and P&P (picture and picture) to allow you to view two pictures simultaneously:
- PIP: provides a window inside a window with PC and TV channels. The main window can be from the PC input or the HDMI 1 or 2 inputs (PC timing), while the sub window comes from a TV channel from the VHF/UHF/Cable input.
- P&P: provides two windows side by side with A/V inputs and TV channels. The main window can be from the component 1 or 2 or HDMI 1 or 2 inputs (except PC timing), while the sub window comes from a TV channel from the VHF/UHF/Cable input.
Picture Settings: These settings can be applied to all inputs, or just the current input. Settings include:
- Backlight: brighten or darken the backlight
- Picture: adjust picture contrast
- Brightness: brighten or darken the picture
- Color: adjust color intensity
- Hue: adjust green tones
- Color Temperature: cool, natural, warm 1 or warm 2, adjusts white tones
- Sharpness: sharpen or soften the picture
- Noise Reduction: reduce the noise level of the connected equipment and coaxial input
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces the mosaic effect in MPEG-compressed video (useful for DVDs and Digital TV channels)
Picture Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, or Cinema picture modes. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments. The Cinema setting enhances the viewing of film-based content. When Standard or Cinema mode is selected, you also have access to the following advanced picture settings:
- Black Corrector: enhances black areas for stronger contrast
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer: automatically optimizes contrast
- Gamma: adjusts the balance between light and dark areas
- Clear White: emphasizes white and light colors
- Color Space: selects the range of color reproduction from Wide to Normal
- Live Color: when color space is set to Wide, this option makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones
- Reset: resets all the advanced settings to the default values
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes when displaying a 4:3 source:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture with minimum distortion, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen
- Normal: displays the 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio with bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen
- Full: stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen
- Zoom: enlarges the entire 4:3 picture without distortion to fill the screen
Sound Settings: The Sound Settings menu allow you to make the following adjustments:
- Sound Mode: You can customize
the bass and treble or use one of the two preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: enhances both treble and bass
- Standard: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Custom: allows you to store your preferred settings for bass and treble
- Treble, Bass, Balance: You can individually set the treble, bass, and balance settings as desired.
- S-FORCE Front Surround: S-FORCE front surrounds provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. When turned off, the normal stereo or mono reception resumes.
- Sound Booster: Sound Booster provides a fuller sound with greater depth and width by emphasizing the high and low frequency sounds. You can select High or Low for the amount of boost you desire.
- Steady Sound: Steady Sound equalizes volume levels so there is consistent output between programs and commercials.
- Volume Offset: adjusts the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs.
Light Sensor: A sensor measures the amount of ambient light in the room and adjusts the backlight brightness accordingly.
Favorite Channel: This feature allows you to store and quickly access up to 30 of your favorite channels.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture by "freezing" the image. When the picture is frozen, the audio continues normally.
Input Label: Each of the seven video inputs (Video 1-3, Component 1-2, and HDMI 1-2) can be labeled with a preset name (DVD, Cable Box, Satellite, BD, VCR, Receiver, DVR, Game, Camcorder, PC, or Skip) instead of Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, etc. Each input can also be left blank or marked Skip, which allows you to skip over an unused input when toggling through.
Timers: There is one event timer and a sleep timer built in. The event timer is set for the day of the week, time, channel, and duration. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to Off, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Presets are available (Off, Child, Youth, or Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Removable Stand: The display comes mounted on a removable tabletop stand. There is also a support belt supplied that bolts to the base of the stand and is attached to the back of the shelf on which the TV sits. The stand allows the TV to be swiveled 15° to the left or right. The stand can be removed for wall mounting the TV.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded inserts on the back with a horizontal spacing of 300mm or 11-13/16" and vertical spacing of 200mm or 7-7/8". The screw holes accept M6 (6mm) screws.
HDMI: The TV has two HDMI inputs: HDMI 1 has a single HDMI input while HDMI 2 consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an HDMI terminal. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped A/V component (set-top box, DVD player, A/V receiver, etc). HDMI supports enhanced, or high-definition video, plus digital audio. This TV also supports some control options with compatible BRAVIA Theatre Sync components. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect a DVI-equipped A/V component to the TV's HDMI 2 input. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the RCA audio inputs are used. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
PC Input (RGB): An analog RGB D-Sub 15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the TV. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal.
Side Panel Inputs: For convenience, there is an A/V input on the side panel of the TV (not the front). Included are stereo RCA stereo inputs, a composite video input, and an S-video input.
Headphone Jack: Along with the A/V input on the side of the TV, there is a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.
Audio Outputs: These stereo RCA audio jacks are activated when the TV's built-in speakers are turned off and are used to connect the TV to a receiver/amplifier. They can be set for Fixed (volume controlled by the receiver/amplifier) or Variable (volume controlled by the TV's remote control) operation.
Digital Audio: An optical digital output is live when you're watching digital TV stations.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.