Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony builds its premium ES components according to elevated standards of design and construction to ensure truly superior home theater. The STR-DA5200ES carries forward the Sony ES legacy by filling your room with dynamic, involving surround sound and by providing superb picture quality from all of your video sources. It's also endowed with advanced features that make your entire audio/video system more flexible and easier to operate.
This receiver's precision-built ES amplifier delivers 120 watts times seven channels of home theater power, and its sophisticated digital processors turn out exceptionally accurate multichannel sound. So whether you're watching a DVD movie, listening to music, or catching a favorite TV show, the 'DA5200ES plants you squarely in the middle of a broad, deep 360° soundfield.
1080p-capable HDMI switching and digital video upconversion
The 'DA5200ES's video switching capabilities will really streamline the way you connect all of your video components. You get 1080p-compatible HDMI switching for three high-definition video sources like an HDTV tuner, digital video recorder, or a Blu-ray disc player. That's especially helpful if your TV has just one HDMI input. And if your television accepts 1080p signals, you'll enjoy the best picture resolution possible with your digital high-def sources.
Plus, you get sophisticated digital video upconversion from Faroudja, a video scaling process which goes beyond the basic analog-to-HDMI conversion found on many receivers. It can upgrade any non-HD video source to superior 1080p high-def resolution for the best possible picture quality from all of your video components, digital or analog. And that means you can also send all of your video sources from the receiver to a compatible TV via a single HDMI cable for easier hookup and switching.
Digital entertainment options
This receiver is also XM Ready. Add an optional XM Mini-Tuner package and an XM subscription to tune in over 170 satellite radio channels. The 'DA5200ES also has special decoding for XM Radio's HD Surround channels, which offer music in spacious multichannel sound. A handy front-panel USB input lets you plug in a portable MP3 player loaded with your favorite tunes. Switch on Sony's Portable Audio Enhancer mode and you're ready to enjoy your entire digital music library through your best speakers.
Easy and accurate setup
Sony's auto calibration makes home theater setup quick, simple, and accurate. Just plug in the included microphone, set it in your favorite seat, and the 'DA5200ES automatically adjusts the volume and delay settings for each speaker in your home theater. The result is precise, well-balanced home theater sound, custom-tailored for your specific room and speakers.
Three-room/three-source output gives you flexible listening and viewing options. You can enjoy surround sound in your home theater room while a housemate watches a different video source in a second room, and another housemate listens to stereo music in a third room. A learning/multibrand remote provides easy control of all your components. And Sony even includes a second remote that, when used in conjunction with an optional remote control extender system, gives you control of your audio/video system from your second or third listening rooms.
Intuitive on-screen control
The 'DA5200ES's on-screen menu system was designed for simple, straightforward operation. Its polished graphic user interface features easy-to-use menus that don't block the entire TV picture allowing you to control receiver functions on-screen while still viewing your programs. A handy picture-in-picture mode lets you display two video sources on your TV simultaneously, even if your television doesn't have built-in PIP. And an extra video input jack means you can connect a baby monitor or security camera and use the receiver's PIP function to view a remote area and watch a TV show or DVD movie at the same time. Very cool.
- 120 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, DTS Neo:6, and Dolby Pro Logic® IIx, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (3 in, 1 out)
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p) with Faroudja DCDi Cinema scaling
- HDMI version 1.2a
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- Neural Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (microphone included)
- three-room/three-source output (composite video and line-level or powered stereo audio output for 2nd room; line-level stereo audio output for 3rd room; powered stereo audio output option for 2nd room allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- learning/multibrand remote
- basic remote for 2nd or 3rd listening room (requires remote control extender system, not included)
- front-panel USB input for audio playback from compatible MP3 players
- plays MP3, WMA, and all ATRAC music files
- Portable Audio Enhancer for MP3s and other digital music files
- picture-in-picture for monitoring multi-zone output or external video source
- on-screen display with graphic user interface (requires TV with audio/video input)
- component video conversion
- component video switching (3 in, 1 out, 80MHz bandwidth)
- 7.1-channel analog input for connecting an SACD or DVD-Audio player
- 7.1-channel analog preamp output
- digital inputs: 5 optical (including 1 front-panel), 3 coaxial
- optical digital output
- 4 audio inputs (including phono)
- 5 audio/video inputs (including 5 S-video and 1 front-panel)
- 30 AM/30 FM/30 XM presets
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- 16-15/16"W x 6-13/16"H x 17-3/4"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Sony ES STR-DA5200ES Reviews
Average Customer Review:
My home theater
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I am very pleased with my experience with this purchase from Crutchfield. This Sony receiver performs very well. The installation was arranged by Crutchfield and was very professional. It included removing my six year old Pioneer Elite receiver and connectin to 7.1 speaker arrangement, DirecTV HD receiver, two CD players, one Mitsubishi 73" HDTV, one VCR, one HD DVD player, one Sony turntable, one cassette unit, one Sony reel to reel player. My reason for the change was to utilize the Sony 5200's 4 HDMI receiver connections. It is an excellent receiver.
Lots of power
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great sounding reciever. I was worried because of some of the reviews written here but after hooking this up and comparing this to my onkyo 805(paid the same),this sony wins hands down on power (volume) and clarity. Worth your time.
Great reciever for the price
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I purchased this receiver as last years model, and i was a little worried about some of the negative reviews written here. I will disagree on most counts. The graphical user interface seems a little difficult as first, but you get used to it (there are a lot of options). The speaker setup is great, especially if you are used to setting the speakers up yourself, measuring distances, test tones etc. You place the double microphone fixture in your setting area, and it does the rest. It even knew that i had the mic reversed. It sounds loud and clear (definitely better than the last sony home theater system I had, with the built in DVD player (i'll never do that again)). I am glad I paid a little more and purchased this model. Do it while it's available!!!
Disappointing for a "top of the line" unit
This receiver will switch video, supports a one-cable display solution, and will power your speakers. So far, so good. However, it has several annoying problems:
1) Even if your speakers are set to LARGE, it feeds the subwoofer with program material. This leads to too strong bass. You can't adjust it on the sub or the receiver, because then the LFE channel will not have the right level. The only solution is to set your speakers to SMALL and set a low cut-off frequency. This is borderline unacceptable.
2) Upscaling analog signals seems to only support 16:9. Any 4:3 signals will be stretched to 16:9, and because it's HDMI in on the TV, you can't un-stretch it there. This is borderline unacceptable.
3) I'm using this as a pre/pro with separately amplified speakers. However, when playing loud, the receiver still turns off for overload protection, even though the amps are not loaded. It's drawing power and generating heat even when not loaded.
4) The GUI is not as useful as I thought it would be, because it doesn't integrate with HDMI.
5) It only has 3 HDMI inputs, which is too few for a modern system (game consoles, HD boxes and TiVos, HTPCs, upscaling DVD players, etc).
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
3 HDMI inputs,Handsome look,High quality,Great sound,like the GUI features(on screen). GREAT PRICE!!!!!! Highly recomended. Replaced a Yamaha receiver. My decision was between Yamaha,Onkyo and Sony. The 50% off list made the difference, plus the 3 HDMI inputs.
Not like ES used to be
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I have long been a fan of the Sony ES line, but I did not particularly care for this unit. My complaint is not limited to just the ES line, or to Sony. It seems that the most recent models of AV receivers have all jumped on the gadget bandwagon at the expense of sound quality. Sure, they all do a fine job of video switching and even transcoding and scaling, but the quality of the sound has definately taken a tumble. I need good sound and good video, and this series does not provide both. I also tried the Onkyo line and had the same experience. I suspect they are all buying third party software and firmware from the same source, since the sound is annoyingly similar. For now, I am sticking with my old STR-DA50ES, since it just sounds better.
This receiver is really something! I bought this receiver a couple of months ago (sadly before the price drop) and I couldn't be happier with it. Compared with onkyo, kenwood, and other sony receivers I have owned I can say that this receiver is the best that I have heard. The sound is breathtaking, with more than enough power for my fairly large speakers. Every time I turn on a CD, record, or DVD I am amazed at how lifelike the sound is. This receiver is built like a tank with all of the quality that went into my 1996 Sony STR-GA9ESG receiver. The innovative GUI greatly simplifies first time setup and day to day operation. Plus it just looks cool! For such a flagship receiver setup was suprisingly simple. I would absolutely reccomend this receiver to anyone
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I use it as a preamp for 4X220W + 4x150W system, which lets me hear a lot.
The Faroudja video processing is quite simply superb, making much of the overcompressed, sometimes nearly posterized, 480i DirecTV/TiVo S-VHS output. And it has a better upscaler than the Sony 400 DVD HDMI DVD changer or the Sony KDS-R60XBR TV; let the receiver do the work.
I am not quite happy with the ability to map any combination of audio and video inputs to the HDMI output and TOS-Link audio output.
The setup screen is so simple and elegant that it fooled me, the ubergeek, into thinking that I had to do more work. Still, see the graph above.
I find that decoding of TOS-link digital audio from Apple Airport Express using Dolby PLII Music is noisier than it need be on the rear speakers for I have to turn the volume up to about 0 dB for good sound, and thats not an ear-splitting volume. This is the only true disappointment Ive found.
The menus ought to wrap around--if you are at the first item and want to go to the last, pressing up ought to wrap to the last, and the other way round.
I wish that a HDMI signal would be converted to component video. This is more limiting than you would think. Converting to an NTSC output is harder, but ought to be feasible.
The receiver doesnt recognize signals from any remote that Ive found other than the one that it came with. None of the many stored in the TiVo peanut remote, nor even Sonys own RM-VL600.
Sony ES STR- DA5200
I bought the Sony ES STR-DA5200 once they were released from Sony in October 2006. While the HDMI X 3 inputs works well and using a HDMI Hub, it does not interface well with the Sony Digital Living System VGX-XL1. Overall I am happy with the receiver. The XM Satellite portion works great. The Build-in GUI is great as well. Overall, buy it if you can afford it - but I envision better HDMI connectivity with media centers in the future. Oh, last thing - they should have made it network (IP based), check out the DENON version same price but internet capabilities. But not a Sony! Tough decision.
New Sony 5300ES
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This new receiver is AWESOME. I replaced a 1999 Sony 777ES with the new 5200 and the difference is notable. The new GUI and auto speaker setup is very easy to use and does a great job adjusting the speakers to match the room.
What's in the box?
- Black AM/FM/7.1 Channel receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAL005)
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU009)
- 4 "AA" batteries
- 6.5' AC cord
- ECM-AC1 Optimizer microphone with attached 19.25' cord (terminates into a 3.5mm miniplug)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached slip-on coax connector
- Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Quick Setup Guide (English/French)
- A List of Playable USB Devices (8 languages)
- Important Safeguards
- On-line product registration information
- Warranty sheet
- Warranty sheet for Canada (English/French)
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections using the binding posts (taped to top of receiver)
Features and Specs
Video Conversion: The Sony ES STR-DA5200ES receiver utilizes a video conversion function that allows you to minimize the number of connections needed from the receiver to the TV. Composite, S-video, and Component Video input signals can be up-converted to HDMI output at a resolution of up to 1080p. Composite, S-Video, and Component Video signals can be output as Composite, S-Video, or Component Video, whichever matches the input jacks of the connected TV. Through HDMI "Active Intelligence", the receiver detects and receives the best possible video and audio signals from all connected devices, making connection and performance as simple as plugging in a single wire. Notes: No audio is output from the HDMI when an analog video signal is converted. Only 480i component video signals can be output as S-Video or composite.
HDMI Switching: The receiver can accept video signals up to 1080p through the HDMI inputs. With the three HDMI inputs and the HDMI output, you can switch between 3 high definition video sources.
Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony. DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie director. The DCS soundfields used in this receiver include:
- Digital Cinema Sound EX A: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio, great for watching most any type of movie
- Digital Cinema Sound EX B: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio, ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects
- Digital Cinema Sound EX C: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage, ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack
- V.Multi Dimension: creates 5 sets of virtual speakers from a single pair of actual surround speakers.
- Headphone Theater: allows you to experience a theater-like environment while listening through a pair of headphones
Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Dolby Pro Logic IIx furthers the matrix decoding of Dolby Pro Logic II to decode audio signals recorded on two channels into up to 7.1 playback channels, including the surround back channel. Dolby Pro Logic IIx also allows 5.1-channel sources to be played in up to 7.1 channels. The mode can be selected according to the source. There are 3 Dolby Pro Logic IIx modes; Music, Cinema and Game.
Auto Format Direct: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to select the decoding mode you want for your audio sound. When you select A.F.D. Auto, the receiver automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, or standard 2-channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding if necessary. You can also select Pro Logic, Pro Logic II Movie, Pro Logic II Music, Pro Logic II Game, Pro Logic IIx Movie, Pro Logic IIx Music, Pro Logic IIx Game, Neo:6 Cinema, Neo:6 Music, Neural Surround, or Multi Stereo to apply the appropriate decoding for movies or normal stereo sources such as CDs.
Neural Surround: Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie, Music, and Game)
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Movie, Music, and Game)
- DTS 96/24
- DTS-ES (Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1)
- DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music)
- Cinema Studio Ex. A (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. B (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. C (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Portable Audio
- Neural Surround
- Jazz Club
- Live Concert
- Multi Stereo (all active channels)
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- Headphone 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo, 2-channel sources bypass the sound field processing, multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels
- Headphone Direct: outputs analog signals with no sound field or tone processing
- Headphone Multi: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi Channel Input jacks
- Headphone Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Portable Audio: This Music Soundfield reproduces a clear enhanced sound image from your portable audio device. This mode is ideal for MP3 and other compressed music.
Surround Back Decoding: This function lets you select the decoding mode for the surround back signals of the multi-channel input stream. When you select "SB Auto" and the input stream contains 6.1-channel information, the appropriate decoder is applied to decode the surround back signal (Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES Matrix, or DTS-ES Discrete decoder). When you select "SB On", Dolby Digital EX is applied when the output channel is 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX or Dolby Pro Logic IIx is applied when the output channel is 7.1. When "Off" is selected, no surround back decoding is performed.
Speaker Manual Settings: If you choose not to auto calibrate the speaker levels, you can manually adjust each speaker as follows:
- Level Settings:
- Front Balance: Left 10.0dB to +10.0dB; Right 10.0dB to +10.0dB in 0.5dB steps
- Center Level: -20.0dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Left/Right Level: -20.0dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Back Left/Right Level: -20.0dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments (if 2 surround back speakers are connected)
- Surround Back Level: -20.0dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments (if only 1 surround back speaker is connected)
- Subwoofer Level: -20.0dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Distance Settings: Each speaker can be set between 3 to 22 feet in 1 inch steps
- Speaker Size: You can set the size of each speaker to Small or Large
- Surround Position: You can specify the location of each surround speaker. Speakers can be set to Side/Low, Side/High, Behind/Low, or Behind/High.
Multi-Channel Subwoofer Level: You can increase the level of the multi-channel input subwoofer channel signal by +10 dB. (Subwoofer levels from DVD players are generally 10 dB lower than that of SACD players.)
Dynamic Range Compressor: allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track, select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Digital Decoding: You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
Auto Calibration: The STR-DA5200ES is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections and the polarity of the speakers, check the speaker size, angle, level, and frequency characteristics, and calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position. The microphone has a 19-1/2' cord attached and has a threaded insert on the bottom so it can be mounted to a tripod.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. The adjustment range is 0 to 300 ms in 10 ms steps if the sampling frequency is less than 48kHz, and 0 to 150 ms if the sampling frequency is 88.2 or 96 kHz.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front, center, surround, and surround back speakers from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB steps. Up to 5 different EQ settings can be stored.
USB Input: The receiver has a front panel USB input for listening to music on compatible USB devices. Audio formats that can be played back include ATRAC, MP3 and WMA. Files that have DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright protection cannot be played back. You can use the receiver's remote to control the playback modes of the USB device. Compatible USB devices include the following:
- NW-E002 / E003 / E005
- NW-A1000 / A3000
- NW-A605 / A607 / A608
- NW-E503 / E505 / E507
- NW-E403 / E405 / E407
- NW-E303 / E305 / E307
- NW-E205 / E207
- NW-HD1 / HD2 / HD3 / HD5
- MicroVault USB Storage Media:
- USM16A / 32A / 64A / 128A / 256A
- USM32U2 / 64U2 / 128U2 / 256U2 / 512U2
- USM32D / 64D / 128D / 256D / 512D / 1GD
- USM128E / 256E / 512E / 1GE / 2GE
- USM512EX / USM1GEX / USM2GEX
- Pavit Series USB Storage
- AZ-RM128P, AZ-RM256P
Note: Other USB devices cannot be used with this receiver.
Multi-Channel Input: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, and DTS processing, it also has a 7.1-channel input for use with an external multi-channel decoder (SACD, DVD-Audio, etc). When using the multi-channel input the STR-DA5200ES's speaker set up circuitry is bypassed, so all bass management and speaker level adjustment must be made on the connected component.
Preamp Outputs: The STR-DA5200ES is equipped with eight preamp outputs in a 7.1-channel configuration, to allow you to use the receiver as a preamplifier. The pre outs include Front Left and Right, Center, Subwoofer, Surround Left and Right, and Surround Back Left and Right. External amplifiers can be connected to any or all of the pre outs.
Bi-Amplifying: The surround back amplifier channels can be used for bi-amplifying a pair of front speakers with dual speaker terminals. Once the shorting bars have been removed from the speakers, you can connect the front left and right speaker terminals to the high (or low) side of the speaker's terminals, and the left and right surround back speaker terminal to the low (or high) side of the speaker's terminals.
Three Zone/Three Source Operation: This receiver allows you to output line-level stereo audio and composite video signals from a connected component to a 2nd zone, regardless of the source selected in the main zone. In addition, you can output line-level stereo audio only from a connected component to a 3rd zone. You will need separate receivers/amplifiers and speakers for amplifying the audio signals in the 2nd and 3rd zones, and a TV/monitor for displaying the video signals in the 2nd zone. If desired, you can assign the surround back amplifier channels to a pair of Zone 2 speakers, and still enjoy a 5.1-channel surround source in the main zone. The audio signals are variable, and the volume can be controlled by a supplied 2nd/3rd Zone remote control (RM-AAU009). From the remote, you can select any source (except Phono and Multi-Channel) connected via analog inputs, and, in some cases, control the basic functions of the connected source component.
Picture-In-Picture: When the Picture-in-Picture function is activated, you can view in the PIP window the video of the source selected for Zone 2, or of a source connected to the External Video jack. Note: HDMI video signals are not output while the PIP window is displayed.
XM Ready: Using the optional XM Mini Tuner and Mini Tuner Home Dock, you can take advantage of the variety and sound quality of XM Satellite radio. XM offers over 150 channels of music, news, sports, and talk radio and even has weather and traffic information in several major markets. The channel number, channel name, channel category, artist name, and song title are listed on the STR-DA5200ES's display. Up to 30 XM stations can be stored as presets and recalled in the same way AM and FM stations are. A subscription to XM Satellite Radio is required.
Tuner: The STR-DA5200ES has 30 presets each for AM, FM, and XM, for a total of 90. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency or XM channel number.
Two Channel Mode: The 2 channel button sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
Analog Direct: The Analog Direct feature amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and input source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters. For example, the two HDMI sources can be displayed as DVD and Satellite.
On Screen Display/GUI: You can use the receiver's on-screen Graphical User Interface (GUI) to make various adjustments to customize the receiver.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps: 100%, 60% or 0%.
Dual Remotes: The STR-DA5200ES comes with two separate remotes: the RM-AAL005 for the main zone, and the RM-AAU009 for the 2nd or 3rd zone. Since both remotes are IR, an IR repeater system is needed in order for you to control the receiver from the 2nd/3rd zone.
Main Zone Remote: The main zone remote (RM-AAL005) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony video CD players, Sony DVD recorders, Sony tuners, Sony hard disc recorders, Sony Blu-ray disc recorders, and Sony PSX, plus Sony and other brands of CD players, DAT decks, MD recorders, cassette decks, LD players, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, DSS receivers and cable boxes. Other features found on the main zone remote control include:
- Learning Function: If a remote control command is not stored in the supplied remote, it is possible for the remote to learn the code using the Learning function. Pointing the receiver's remote and the device's remote at each other and pressing specific buttons, the commands of the device are stored in the receiver's remote control.
- Macro Play: The Macro Play function lets you link several commends in a sequential order as a single command. The remote has the capability of 2 Macros with up to 20 commands per macro list.
2nd/3rd Zone Remote: The RM-AAU009 remote is for Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 operations only--you cannot control the main receiver directly with this remote. Using an IR repeater, you can operate both a component in the main zone and a Sony receiver in Zones 2 or 3 from Zone 2 or 3. You can switch the output sources for the Zone 2 and Zone 3 out jacks, switch the Sony receiver's power on/off and adjust the volume in Zones 2 or 3.
Assignable HDMI Inputs: The receiver has 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. The inputs can be assigned to specific sources such as Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, DVD, TV/Sat, Tape/CD-R, SACD/CD, or MD/DAT.
Assignable Component Video Inputs: The receiver has 3 component video inputs which can be assigned to specific sources such as Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, DVD, TV/Sat, Tape/CD-R, SACD/CD, or MD/DAT.
HD Component Video Pass-Through: This unit features 3 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
Assignable Digital Inputs/Output: In addition to the 3 coaxial digital inputs and the 5 optical digital inputs, there is 1 optical digital output to feed a digital recording component, such as a CD or MiniDisc recorder. These digital inputs can be assigned to a specific component, such as Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, DVD, TV/Sat, Tape/CD-R, SACD/CD, or MD/DAT.
Front Panel Inputs: The STR-DA5200ES features a set of front panel inputs with left and right RCA audio jacks, plus S-Video and RCA composite video jacks, a USB input, and an optical digital input.
External Video Input: This single composite video input lets you view an external video source in the Picture-in-Picture window.
USB Input: The front-panel USB Type A input allows you to connect a compatible USB device (such as a digital music player or USB storage media) and listen to music stored on the device.
Speaker Outputs: All the speaker outputs are binding post connectors, including front A left and right, front B left and right, center, surround left and right, and surround back left and right. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs, but they will accept bare wire, single banana, and dual banana plugs. The front A and B speaker pairs are wired in parallel.
XM: This proprietary terminal allows you to connect an optional XM Mini Tuner Home Dock.
Multi Channel Input: Eight analog RCA inputs are used for outboard 5.1 or 7.1 channel processors. Note: The signal fed to the multi-channel input is not output to the MD/DAT, Tape/CD-R, Video 1, or Video 2 analog audio outputs.
Preamp Outputs: Eight analog RCA preamp outputs are used for connecting the receiver to external power amplifiers.
SACD Output: No sound is output from the receiver when you play a Super Audio CD on an SACD player connected to the Optical digital input or Coaxial digital input labeled SA-CD/CD In. You must connect an SACD player via the analog input labeled SA-CD/CD In or the multi-channel analog input.
Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
Control Jacks: Three sets of 3.5mm minijack connectors are supplied for the following control methods:
- RS232C: The receiver can be configured in the menu to receive commands from 3rd party control systems (Crestron, AMX, etc.) via the RS232C port.
- Control S: If you have a Control S-compatible Sony TV, satellite tuner, monitor, DVD player or VCR, you can use a Control S cord (mono mini-to-mono mini) to connect the receiver to the compatible component. The receiver has one Control S In and one Control S out jack.
- Trigger Out: You can use the +12V trigger to turn external equipment on or off when the receiver is turned on or off. In the menu, you can configure the receiver to operate in various ways and areas, including Zone 2 and 3, with individual inputs, or in conjunction with RS232C control. The receiver has a three +12V trigger outputs for the Main Zone, Zone 2 and Zone 3.
- IR Remote: You can connect an IR repeater system to the receiver to send and accept IR command signals to and from other zones, or when the receiver is enclosed in a cabinet. The receiver has three IR remote jacks: IR Out 1, IR Out 2, and IR in.