Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony definitely has a winner with its SXRD projection technology. Most videophiles and reviewers agree that SXRD Silicon X-tal (Crystal) Reflective Display delivers the finest projection TV picture available. The 55" KDS-55A2020 falls right in the middle of Sony's "A2020" line. With speakers placed below the screen, this space-efficient 55" is more compact than 50" models were a few years ago.
High-density image panels reveal the finest details
SXRD is a refined version of LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) display technology. The KDS-55A2020 uses SXRD image panels with full HD resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels. There are other types of 1080p displays, but SXRD boasts the highest "pixel density" of any TV available, as well as the tightest between-pixel spacing. Images possess jaw-dropping clarity, detail and depth, but the most striking quality is a silky smoothness that creates a more filmlike look.
Rich colors and outstanding contrast make the picture pop
The KDS-55A2020's exceptional picture detail is matched by its eye-popping color purity. Three SXRD image panels one each for the red, green, and blue primary colors ensure rich, radiant, rock-steady color.
Sony's Advanced Iris system gives you two ways to optimize picture brightness, contrast, and black level. You can adjust overall brightness to compensate for your room's lighting conditions, or let the "dynamic iris" automatically raise or lower light output based on the content of each scene. A circuit continuously samples the brightness level of the video signal, then opens or closes the iris opening with split-second precision to preserve the natural balance of every scene. It works beautifully.
Connections for up to five HD sources
A top-performing HDTV needs a versatile array of audio/video inputs that will keep your system plugged in now and in the future. The KDS-55A2020 obliges with three component video inputs and two 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs (perfect for connecting Sony's Blu-ray Disc player). A standard PC input lets you use this TV as a jumbo-sized high-res computer display don't worry, digital projection TVs like this one are immune to screen burn-in.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
- 55" widescreen HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio)
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1080p 3-SXRD light engine (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- 2.5-millisecond pixel response time
- 130°(H) x 60°(V) viewing angle
- adjustable/dynamic Advanced Iris for improved contrast and black level
- 10,000:1 contrast ratio
- Wega Engine digital video processing
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction v1 (upconverts lower-quality video signals)
- built-in stereo speakers (12 watts x 2)
- multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 1 S-video
- 3 component video (2 rear, 1 front) accepts signals up to 1080i
- 2 HDMI digital audio/video inputs (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- power consumption: 210 watts
- Energy Star® compliant
- 50-7/8"W x 35-7/8"H x 19"D (pedestal is 37-1/2"W x 16-1/2"D)
- weight: 83.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor (2 years parts on the projection optical block) in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony KDS-55A2020 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Wow.... just wow
I upgraded to this TV from an old 47" HD-ready Samsung, and the difference in picture quality is unbelievable. The regular definition channels look as good as the HD channels on my old Samsung. I really didn't know a big screen's standard definition display could be BETTER than an old school tube TV, but I think that's just the case with this Sony. The other day I turned on my old 27" tube TV in my bedroom, and realized the picture quality wasn't up to par with my new Sony - and this is STANDARD DEFINITION channels I'm talking about!
Sure you can opt to buy an LCD or plasma, and lose a few inches in depth when compared to this TV, but I honestly couldn't tell a difference in picture quality. So if you have an extra few inches, like I do, why pay so much more for a flat screen?
Great TV / Great Service
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I did a lot of research before settling on the Sony 55" SXRD TV, and this set has lived up to all my expectations. The picture is great from the cable box (both HD and non-HD channels), from my DVD player (not HD), and even from my computer. Set-up and connections are a breeze.
Sony's users manual isn't the greatest, but the system is pretty intuitive. Basic functions like watching TV from cable are easy enough to satisfy my wife. Adjustments to picture size, sound quality, etc., can be quickly changed on the remote.
The picture is big, but the design of the set doesn't dominate the room when the picture is off (important to my wife's decorating sense).
Crutchfield is, as always, great to deal with. No pressure, no upsell attempts, smooth delivery, and great tech support.
awesome TV, awesome service
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Just got the TV yesterday. Set it up myself in less than 15 minutes. I am not having my HD service installed until next week, but the regular picture quality and colors are amazing. I also cant believe how big the picture is. When shopping in a big showroom next to other huge TVs, you sometimes lose sight of just how big a 55 inch actually is. When I turned it on for the first time at home, I felt like I was at the movies. I set up my ps2 on the lowest level connection and even games from 5 years ago were absolutely stunning. I then set up my ps3 with an HDMI cable and it was just ridiculous. I have only had the TV for 48 hours so I cant make any comments on durability yet, but set-up and picture out of the box are better than I had hoped for. I heard a lot about how showroom pictures are not the same as what you get at home, but I honestly am getting a great picture on standard definition, I cant imagine what the HD is going to look like. I researched TVs for two months, and visited a lot of showrooms. For the price and the completely helpful service I have received both times I called about my order status and delivery, I recommend Cruthfield wholeheartedly. No upsale, no hassle, friendly helpful service. Dont deal with the big store nonsense or the uncertainty of little no-name stores to save (maybe) a few bucks. Some of the less reputable stores are not covered by the manufacturers warranty. If anything about my opinion changes, ill write again. Until then, Crutchfield gets my wholehearted 5/5, and the sony kds55a2020 gets my 5/5.
What's in the box?
- 55" SXRD High-Definition 1080p rear-projection TV
- RM-YD010 wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty sheet
- On-line product registration information
- Required Public Statement for GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used in this Television
- Warning sheet concerning removing remote and manual before discarding packing materials (attached to TV)
- "Sony Customer Support" sheet (attached to TV)
Features and Specs
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Picture In Picture||No|
|Audio Output Power||12 watts x 2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Yr/2 Yrs Optical Block|
|Labor Warranty||1 Yr/2 Yrs Optical Block|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home|
|Power On (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Standby (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Footprint Width (inches)||37-1/2|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||16-1/2|
|Analog Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Video Inputs||7|
|Digital Inputs & Outputs|
SXRD Technology: SXRD is a refined version of LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) display technology. SXRD employs three Silicon X-tal Reflective Display panels, which aid in the response time of image changes and movement. SXRD delivers high-level resolution, greater contrast ratio, faster response speed and film-like reproduction compared to conventional devices. SXRD also creates highly accurate, natural colors because the 3-panel design displays all the colors, all the time.
HDTV: The KDS-55A2020 has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals. With its HD-compatible component video and HDMI inputs, the TV can also display programs in High Definition from set-top boxes, Blu-ray Disc players, HD-DVD, and high-end DVD players. In addition, the TV also includes an NTSC tuner for analog broadcasts.
Native Resolution: The KDS-55A2020 has three high-definition SXRD image panels, each with 1920 x 1080 pixels. Each panel has over 2 million pixels so there is no loss of detail. SXRD preserves every pixel of the source and brings the full 1080 lines to the screen without interlacing, displaying the signal at 1080p. The resulting picture has incredible clarity and a smooth, film-like quality.
WEGA Engine Video Processor: The latest generation of WEGA Engine is a fully digital signal-processing path which includes video processing functions that are designed to improve overall picture quality. Among the key functions of the WEGA Engine are:
- Green, Blue and White Color Enhancer: The green, blue and white color enhancer circuit selectively adjusts common natural colors like green, white and blue color levels for a more vivid image.
- Digital MPEG Noise Reduction: The digital MPEG noise reduction circuit reduces MPEG artifacts such as "block noise" and "mosquito noise" caused by compression used in digital broadcasts used to maximize bandwidth.
- Digital Contrast Enhancer: The digital contrast enhancer circuit processes every field automatically selecting out details and optimizing contrast for each scene. Adaptive processing improves the low contrast parts of the picture providing crisp and vivid images with high contrast.
- DRC (Digital Reality Creation)-MF V1: The DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent by digital mapping processing, the DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes
CineMotion: The CineMotion feature will automatically detect film content and apply a reverse 3-2 pulldown process, displaying moving pictures more clearly and more natural looking.
Optical Engine: The Sony optical engine provides a high-resolution picture from corner to corner across the entire screen. It also renders an image with high-brightness utilizing a 120W UHP (Ultra High Pressure) Lamp (Model XL-5200) that you can easily replace.
Note: No lamp life information is provided. When the lamp near the end of its life, a message appears every time you turn on the TV.
HDMI and PC Inputs: Designed for maximum versatility, the KDS-55A2020 is equipped with a comprehensive range of input interfaces. The HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) is the first industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. HDMI technology supports enhanced or high definition video, together with multi-channel digital audio to provide matchless image and sound reproduction. A D-Sub 15 input also allows connection to your PC, allowing you to use your high-resolution KDS-55A2020 TV as a computer monitor.
Advanced Iris: This advanced iris shutter opens and closes automatically according to the incoming signal level. This results in brighter whites and better overall contrast in dark scenes. There are two automatic and five manual iris settings.
- Auto Iris:
- Auto 1: recommended option for viewing programs that have larger variation in brightness from scene to scene
- Auto 2: recommended option for viewing programs that have less variation in brightness from scene to scene
- Manual Iris:
- Max: the brightness is about the maximum level
- High: the screen is at a high level of brightness; suitable for TV viewing in a brightly lit room
- Medium: the brightness is about the standard level
- Low: the screen is dimmed but contrast is to the maximum; suitable for TV viewing in a room with low lightning
- Min: the brightness is about the minimum level
Preset Picture Modes: The TV features two Preset Picture Modes to choose from to make setup simple.
- Standard: standard picture settings suited for most normal viewing
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
Custom Picture Mode Settings: Custom settings allow adjustment of the following:
- Black Corrector: enhances the black areas of the picture for stronger contrast
- Gamma: adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture
- Clear White: emphasizes the white and light colors
- Live Color: makes colors more vivid
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature color by color
- Detail Enhancer: sharpens picture definition
- Edge Enhancer: enhances the outline of the picture
Picture Settings: The TV's picture settings allow you to adjust the following levels to enhance your viewing experience.
- Picture: adjust the picture contrast
- Brightness: brightens or darkens the picture
- Color: adjusts color intensity
- Hue: adjusts green tones
- Sharpness: sharpens or softens the picture
Color Temperature: This feature allows you to adjust the white balance of the picture. You can choose from the following modes.
- Cool: gives white colors a bluish tint
- Neutral: gives white colors a neutral tint
- Warm 1 and 2: gives white colors a reddish tint
DRC Mode: The television features two DRC modes.
- High Density: creates a high-resolution picture with 4x density for high-quality sources
- Progressive: this mode is recommended for normal viewing of moving pictures
DRC Palette: The DRC Palette allows you to customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) for input sources.
Noise Reduction: This feature reduces the noise level of connected equipment and the VHF/UHF or cable inputs. You can choose from Auto, High, Medium, Low or Off.
Wide Screen Modes: You can choose Auto Wide to automatically change the screen mode to best fit the current program, or independently select a default setting for each video input (including TV tuner). While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. Choose from the following screen options:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 screen, keeping the original image as much as possible
- Normal: displays the 4:3 picture in its original size when the original source is 4:3; when the original source is 16:9 the picture may be compressed horizontally
- Full: enlarges the picture horizontally to fill the screen when the original source is 4:3; when the source is 16:9 it will display the 16:9 picture in its original size
- Zoom: enlarges the original picture without distorting the aspect ratio
4:3 Default: This feature allows you to select the default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. You can choose from the following.
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 screen, keeping the original image as much as possible
- Normal: displays the 4:3 picture in its original size when the original source is 4:3
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally to fill the screen
- Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that fills the wide screen
- Off: turn this feature Off to continue using the current Wide Mode setting when the channel or input is changed
Display Area: This feature allows you to adjust the screen area displaying the picture. You can choose from the following modes.
- Normal: displays the picture in the original size
- -1 or -2: enlarges the picture to hide the edges of the picture
Horizontal/Vertical Adjustments: The TV features the following horizontal and vertical adjustments.
- Horizontal Center: moves the position of the picture left and right
- Vertical Center: moves the position of the picture up and down (available only Zoom mode)
- Vertical Size: adjust the vertical size of the picture (available only in Wide Zoom and Zoom modes)
Game Mode: The setting is optimized for playing video games.
Sound Mode: You can choose from 3 different Sound Modes.
- Dynamic: enhances the treble and bass
- Standard: suitable for spoken dialog
- Custom: allows you to store your preferred bass and treble settings
Note: You can set up a Sound Mode independently for the TV input and each Video input from 1-7. The Sound Mode settings are automatically saved up selection.
TruSurround XT: This feature simulates a surround sound effect when viewing stereo programs.
BBE: This feature gives the television's sound more impact by compensating for phase effects in the speakers
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Volume Offset: You can adjust the volume of an input (TV or video) relative to the others, so when you change from one input to the next the volume remains constant.
A/V Sync: When the digital audio output is connected to an outboard amplifier you can adjust the synchronization to account for any audio delay.
Program Guide: This TV is equipped to show program information if it is available from the station. The Program Guide lets you review program information, and select both analog and digital channels.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture on the right side while the program continues on the left.
Favorite Channel: This feature allows you to list up to 16 of your favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
Show/Hide Channels: This feature allows you to show or hide channels that appear in the program guide and when you use the CH+/- buttons to channel surf.
Channel Label: You can assign a label, up to seven characters (letters and numbers), to each TV station.
Input Label: You can label each of the A/V inputs to reflect the actual connected component. If an input isn't being used, label it Skip so you don't have to toggle through it when changing inputs. The A/V inputs 1-7 can be labeled DVD, Cable Box, Satellite, BD (Blu-ray Disc), VCR, Receiver, DVR, Game, Camcorder, Edit, Skip or left blank. The PC input is labeled PC, Skip, or left blank. The Edit function allows you to create a custom 10-character label.
Parental Lock: The Parental Lock settings allow you to set up the TV to block programs according to their content and rating levels. The Parental Lock setting is protected by a 4-digit password. You can choose from the following Parental Lock settings.
- Off: no programs are blocked
- Child: maximum ratings of TV-Y, TV-G, and G are permitted
- Youth: maximum ratings of TV-PG, and PG are permitted
- Y. Adult: maximum ratings of TV-14 and PG-13 are permitted
- Custom: this mode allows
you to select a specific rating; you can choose from the following
- Movie Ratings:
- G: all children and general audience
- PG: parental guidance suggested
- PG-13: parental guidance for children under 13
- R: restricted viewing, parental guidance is suggested for children under 17
- NC-17 and X: No one 17 or under allowed
- TV Ratings:
- Age Based:
- TV-Y: all children
- TY-Y7: directed to children age 7 and older
- TV-G: general audience
- TV-PG: parental guidance suggested
- TV-14: parents strongly cautioned
- TV-MA: mature audience only
- FV: fantasy violence
- D: suggestive dialogue
- L: strong language
- S: sexual situations
- V: violence
- Age Based:
- Movie Ratings:
Power Saving: You can view the picture with reduced power consumption by selecting the Power Saving mode. The picture becomes darker while the black level is enhanced.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Timers 1/2: You can use the timers to turn the TV on, set the duration time the TV will remain on, and tune to a specific channel at two scheduled times.
Cooling Mode: If the TV will be operated at an attitude of 5,000 feet or higher you can adjust the Cooling Mode from Normal to High.
Optional TV Stand: The TV can be mounted on the optional, matching Sony SU-RS11X stand (item # 158SURS11X, sold separately).
PC Compatible: In addition to the audio/video inputs, you can connect a computer to this TV for use as a computer monitor. The D-Sub 15 input (Input 8) on the rear panel can accommodate the video signal from most PCs. A 3.5mm (1/8") mini-jack input is provided for PC audio.
PC Resolution: The following PC computer video resolutions are supported:
- 1360 x 768, 47.7 kHz horizontal frequency, 60 Hz vertical frequency
- 1280 x 768, 47.8 kHz horizontal frequency, 60 Hz vertical frequency
- 1280 x 768, 47.4 kHz horizontal frequency, 60 Hz vertical frequency
- 1024 x 768, 60 kHz horizontal frequency, 75 Hz vertical frequency
- 1024 x 768, 56.5 kHz horizontal frequency, 70 Hz vertical frequency
- 1024 x 768, 48.4 kHz horizontal frequency, 60 Hz vertical frequency
- 800 x 600, 46.9 kHz horizontal frequency, 75 Hz vertical frequency
- 800 x 600, 37.9 kHz horizontal frequency, 60 Hz vertical frequency
- 720 x 400, 31.5 kHz horizontal frequency, 70 Hz vertical frequency
- 640 x 400, 37.5 kHz horizontal frequency, 75 Hz vertical frequency
- 640 x 400, 31.5 kHz horizontal frequency, 60 Hz vertical frequency
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including DVD players and changers, Blu-ray Disc players, DVRs, VCRs, cable boxes, and satellite receivers.
HDMI Inputs: The TV features two HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) inputs that provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped device, such as a cable or satellite set-top box, Blu-ray Disc player, HD-DVD or DVD player, or A/V receiver. Both HDMI inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i video signals. You can also connect a DVI-equipped device to the TV via an HDMI-DVI adapter cable. Since a DVI connection does not output audio, you will also need to connect an audio cable from the DVI-equipped device to the TV or audio system. One of the two HDMI inputs has a corresponding audio input.
Component Video Inputs: The component video input will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The TV features 2 component video inputs on the rear panel and 1 component video input on the front panel.
PC In: The PC input on the rear panel of the Television allows you to connect the TV to a personal computer's video output connector via an optional HD15-HD15 cable, sold separately.
Audio Out: The TV has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can choose Fixed or Variable audio output.
Optical Output: You can use the TV's optical digital audio output to connect a Dolby Digital/PCM-compatible digital audio device, such as an audio amplifier.