Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's TV expertise on display
Sony's 55" KDL-55EX640 serves up 1080p high-def images with startling clarity and detail. Thanks to this model's LED backlighting, you'll enjoy natural, lifelike colors with rich contrast and LED's energy efficiency doesn't hurt, either. Expect everything you watch to look its very best, from Blu-ray movies to YouTube clips. Motionflow blur reduction keeps the picture looking smooth when the on-screen action picks up pace.
Watching more on the web
More and more people these days are turning to the web for day-to-day viewing, so a TV's Internet smarts are important. The KDL-55EX640 includes built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network, home to thousands of movies, shows, games and more. You can also stream movies instantly from Netflix® or listen to Pandora® Internet radio through the TV. Sony includes a USB Wi-Fi® dongle so you can enjoy entertainment pulled from the web or a PC on your home network without connecting an Ethernet cable.
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen with black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- LED edge backlight for enhanced picture contrast
- Motionflow XR 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- 1-tuner picture-in-picture
- Internet-ready Smart TV — has built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network (on-demand movies and music), Netflix®, and more (broadband service required; subscription/fees required for some online services)
- Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network (USB adapter included)
- built-in web browser
- find the latest info about this TV's Internet apps at Sony's website
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- built-in stereo speakers (8 watts x 2)
- remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 composite video
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 4 HDMI v1.4
- PC input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- 2 USB ports for connecting a camera or thumb drive (included Wi-Fi dongle occupies 1 port)
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 19-3/8"W x 12-3/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 50"W x 30"H x 2-3/8"D (31-3/8"H x 12-3/8"D on stand)
- weight: 50.9 lbs. with stand; 41.2 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why choose an LED-LCD TV?
Reason #1: Awesome picture quality. The LED backlights in these higher-end LCD TVs can give you better picture contrast and more lifelike colors than sets with typical fluorescent backlighting. Reason #2: They're more energy-efficient than plasma or regular LCD TVs, helping you lower your monthly electric bill and helping the environment.
Sony KDL-55EX640 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Beautiful Picture Outstanding Sony Value
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
First off I would like to say this is my 5th Sony flat screen TV in my house. This model was purchased to upgrade our living room TV, a Sony 42V4100 which we will move to the basement to connect to a PS3 for gaming only. I was choosing between these 3 models, this 55EX640 and a 50EX645 and a 60EX645. We sit only 10 feet from the wall the TV is mounted on so we felt the 60" TV was too big. I already have a CAT5 connection available where this TV hangs so the wireless connection was of little interest to me. So I chose the 55" model much to the disapproval of my wife who thought the 55" TV would be too big and wanted to get the 50" TV. I could not justify paying the same or more for a smaller TV when we would not use the built-in wireless connection. I found a scratch-n-dent offer for the larger 55" TV so I ordered it with full confidence that Crutchfield would stand behind the purchase. Now almost a month later and several Blu-ray movies played from a connected Sony BD player I could not be happier. I was very concerned that the picture would not be as good as the 42V4100 which we have received several comments on outstanding picture quality. My concerns have subsided with this TV producing an outstanding picture from HD SuddenLink cable and stunning images from BD. My only knock at all would be the sound but we added a Sony HTCT260 soundbar and could not be happier!
Pros: Stunning brilliant picture with vibrant colors Attractive styling with carbon-fiber textured bezel Lower power consumption Plentiful connections Variable volume from analog connection for private headphone listening Easy setup Manual controls on the side
Cons: Sound quality direct from TV
Picture was disappointing....could be that calibration is more complex than it used to be....but... I could never get a really pleasing picture. Maybe it was just this set, because it also had an occasional problem with audio when the set was turned on. Sometimes the audio would only come on when the set was restarted. I have owned many Sony TV's and this is a first for this unhappy outcome. I returned it while I decide what to do.
Pros: Crutchfield return policy.
Awesome TV !!! (KDL-55EX640) Best picture I have ever seen!!! This TV replaced a Sony Rear Projection KDS-60A3000. The main reason for this purchase is it can be wall mounted. I am a No-Frills Default Kind of guy. I have 3 computers (2 Desks, 1-Lap) for the internet so I will probably never use this TV to access the internet. Also I don't care for 3-D because the glasses are to heavy and I already wear eye glasses. I really wish someone would make a flatscreen TV that you can choose your own options and features. The price could be determined by the amount of features you desire. My only regret is that this TV doesn't come in a 60 inch version. I have HD Programming from Directv and the HD images are absolutely stunning!!! I thought my previous Sony Rear Projection had a great picture.
Pros: Picture, Wall Mountable
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
We received our Sony just a few days after ordering. It came in very sturdy packaging without any damage whatsoever. My husband had no problems setting it up. And he is mad about the picture quality. He says he can see the tears on the football players faces now! We are extremely satisfied with our purchase from Crutchfield and a human answers the phone when we've called.
Pros: High customer rating for the TV. Excellent picture quality. Terrific vendor service.
What's in the box?
- 55" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- Guide stand
- Metal neck
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD075)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Wireless LAN adapter (UWA-VR100)
- USB Dock
- Seven 5mm x 16mm machine screws (with flat-/lock-washers installed)
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Table-top stand assembly diagram (taped to TV)
- Limited Warranty Information
- "Attention" note (En/Fr/Sp)
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- End User License Agreement
- USB Wireless LAN Adapter Operating Instructions
Features and Specs
Edge LED Backlight: The Sony Bravia KDL-EX640 series TV utilizes edge LED backlighting for dynamic contrast, smooth motion performance, and energy savings inside a slim designed cabinet. This technology sharpens image contrast giving an amazingly crisp picture you can see. The ultra-thin backlight system also allows for a slimmer, sleeker design.
Clear Resolution Enhancer: Fine details and textures appear in whatever you're watching, even in flat areas. Powered by Sony's advanced noise reduction algorithm, this technology boosts image clarity with heightened contrast and depth.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
1080p Resolution: The Sony KDL-EX640 series television has a HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p). All video signals from standard definition and high definition sources are displayed at 1920 x 1080. The Sony KDL-EX640 series TV is equipped with HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The KDL-EX640 series features four HDMI inputs. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. The HDMI input will accept 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The HDMI 1 input shares a 3.5mm audio jack with the television's PC input. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the 3.5mm audio input is used and separate minijack audio cable must be connected.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video input instead.
- Composite Video Input: The TV is also equipped with a composite video (480i only) input.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MotionFlow XR 240: Sony's MotionFlow XR 240 technology combines 120 frames-per-second with an advanced backlight blinking system to simulate a 240 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 240 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between 3 settings - High, Standard, Off.
CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content. There are two settings.
- Auto 1: Provides smoother picture movement that the original film-based content.
- Auto 2: Displays film-based content with picture expression close to the original by applying a film-specific process.
Light Sensor Technology: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger.
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Sports: Optimizes picture quality for viewing sports.
- Game: Used for gaming.
- Graphics: Optimizes picture quality for viewing graphics.
- Photo: For standard viewing of photographs.
- Custom: Allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, Sharpness, Noise Reduction.
Note: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- LED Motion: Lights up the backlight adequately, reducing blur in movies, but the brightness decreases
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
MPEG Noise Reduction: This feature reduces the picture noise in MPEG-compressed videos. This is effective when viewing a DVD or digital broadcast. You can set the level of noise reduction to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via PC-input or HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program other external input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. If you have your PC connected via HDMI, you cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from a TV program and external input (except for PC) at the same time. One picture will be displayed as the main image, while to other is displayed in an sub window. You can flip-flop images and switch audio between the two images.
Sound Mode: You can customize the bass and treble or use one of the three preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: Enhances both treble and bass.
- Standard: Suitable for spoken dialogue.
- Clear Voice: Suitable for spoken dialogue.
- Custom: Allows you to customize sound settings (Bass, Treble, and Balance).
Steady Sound: Steady Sound equalizes volume levels so there is consistent output between programs and commercials.
Bass Booster: The Bass Booster feature produces a fuller sound for more impact, by emphasizing the bass sounds.
Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog audio output is used to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (119MCON2M, sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner on the TV, or Dolby Digital surround sound from a Sony Bravia Internet app, via the television's network connection. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, RCA, or USB.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony KDL-EX640 series LED-LCD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony KDL-EX640 series LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV also includes a wireless LAN adapter (which plugs into the TV's USB port) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network via WiFi. The included WiFi adapter provides a wireless network connection for your TV with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Bravia Entertainment Network: Once the TV has been connected to your home network (via Ethernet or WiFi), you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony LED-LCD TV screen via Bravia Internet Video, Widgets, Yahoo Connect TV, or the built-in web browse. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while Bravia Internet Widgets allow you to easily access local news, sports headlines, and social media feeds. Yahoo connected TV provides additional online news, sports, weather, and shopping apps; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL.
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony TV. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps.
- Bravia Widgets: Bravia Internet Widgets deliver interactive content when your TV is connected to the Internet. Widgets are small downloadable applications that provide easy access to interactive content when your TV is connected to the Internet. You can display a variety of information on the screen. You are able to download these widgets directly to your TV screen to quickly access news headlines, weather updates, or play games while you watch TV. See what your friends are up to and view their latest postings on Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr; all without interrupting your TV viewing experience.
- Yahoo Connected TV: Yahoo Connected TV provides news, weather, sports, finance, and shopping apps from Yahoo.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony LED-LCD TV. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Bravia Network Entertainment Library: Currently the Bravia Network Entertainment Library contains the following online content and widgets. (as of 4/5/2012).
|Bravia Internet Video|
|Movies||Video Unlimited: Video Unlimited is the ultimate source for the latest hit movies, classics and TV shows from every major studio. Forget monthly subscriptions or late fees. Watch what you want, when you want. Buy or rent titles in SD, 1080p HD or 3D (select titles) up to 28 days before Netflix or Redbox.|
|Netflix 5.1: Unlimited Movies & TV episodes: For only $7.99 a month, instantly watch unlimited movies & TV episodes streaming over the Internet to your Sony TV.|
|Hulu+: Hulu Plus lets you watch current hit TV shows, classic series, and acclaimed movies anytime in HD for $7.99/month with limited advertising.|
|Flixster: Get the hottest new movie trailers from Flixster.|
|Amazon Instant Video: Amazon Instant Video lets you search, browse and rent your favorites instantly, right from your couch. Choose from over 90,000 movies and TV shows, including the latest new releases|
|SnagFilms: The best Indie movies on demand.|
|The Wiggles: Access to the Wiggles & Friends channel.|
|Crackle: The next-generation video entertainment network with hundreds of movies, TV shows and original series from the vast Sony Pictures library.|
|Music||Music Unlimited: Music Unlimited offers you unlimited access to millions of songs from every major label. Forget syncing MP3 files across multiple devices; simply connect to the cloud to instantly experience the music you love anytime, anyplace. Enjoy timeless favorites or dare to try something new; all without paying for each track or album.|
|Pandora: Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
|Slacker: Slacker is a free personalized radio service with millions of songs from thousands of artists. Simply select your favorite type of music from one of over 120 expert-programmed genre stations. As you listen, give feedback and the station becomes personalized just for you.|
|Singing Fool: The Singing Fool music video collection: rock, pop, rap, R&B, country and more. Thousands of titles means there's something for everyone on Singing Fool.|
|Berliner Philharmoniker: Enjoy one of the world's best orchestras directly from your connected Sony TV.|
|MoshCam.com: Over 800 full length concert videos recorded in Sydney, Australia's leading music venues including Jane's Addiction, Gary Numan, Ben Harper, John Butler Trio, The Hives, Blondie, Jarvis Cocker, Public Enemy and many more.|
|Photos||Photobucket: View your photos and videos and share them with friends and family for free.|
|Picasa: Google's free, integrated photo-sharing where you can view all of your photos from your account.|
|Shutterfly: One of the largest photo sharing and personal publishing services. Login and view your account's content on the Sony TV.|
|Social Media||YouTube: The world's most popular online destination, comes to your Sony Connected Device. This forum allows people to discover and watch millions of originally-created videos.|
|Sports||XOS College Sports: Offers the largest digital library of college sports content, spanning 75+ years of competition. Watch full games, original programming, season highlights and documentaries both past and present. All the best conferences, teams and sports are here.|
|NHL Vault: Gives you access to over 800 classic games, as well as full length and condensed game replays with no blackouts.|
|GolfLink.com: Built for golfers, and covering over 21,000 courses, GolfLink.com brings you everything you need to track and improve your game.|
|Billabong's: Snow, Surf, Skate and Wake action from around the globe, featuring Billabong's all-star athletes, swimwear and fashion models.|
|Lifestyle||AOL HD: Watch the latest in technology from Engadget and TechCrunch, catch up on the latest celebrity gossip from Huffington Post, preview the latest movies from Moviefone, or even learn how to cook like a pro from personalities such as Curtis Stone, Sam Talbot and Gail Simmons - all from AOL HD.|
|eHow: Watch the latest videos from Howcast, your source for the best how-to videos. From how to write a resume - to how to survive a bear attack, Howcast shows you how to do just about anything; wherever and whenever you want to know how.|
|Dr. Oz: Entertaining, high octane, multi-topic hour that is equal parts life-saving information combined with an "embarrassment-free zone" sensibility where nothing is off limits or out of bounds. The show is all about what impacts viewers, their families, their health and their well-being.|
|Livestrong: The destination for health, fitness and lifestyle videos. Take responsibility and live an active, healthy lifestyle every day.|
|Tara Stiles: Useful and fun yoga routines for everyone.|
|Style.com: The definitive voice of fashion online, providing comprehensive coverage of the major fashion shows and authoritative reports on seasonal trends.|
|elgourmet.com: With original contents for those who know how to enjoy the pleasures of life, elgourmet.com offers 24 hrs of uninterrupted programming for experts in fine living.|
|Epicurious: Learn how to prepare dishes from around the world, tour celebrity kitchens and get tips on entertaining.|
|WealthTV: WealthTV is the premier luxury lifestyle and entertainment cable network that gives you a vicarious look into the American Dream. From the fastest cars to the most exotic destinations, WealthTV allows you to travel the world and live the good life without having to leave your living room.|
|uStudio: Professionally-produced video clips and how-to videos. Named 'Best of Web' by BusinessWeek readers in 2008.|
|DailyMotion: Engages your world with video of your interests and hobbies, eyewitness accounts of recent news and distant places and everything else from strange to spectacular.|
|News||NPR: Acclaimed audio podcasts from National Public Radio featuring news, talk, and entertainment.|
|NewsLook: Whether you're interested in anything ranging from World News and US Politics to Recipes and Celebrity Gossip, NewsLook's topic based video RSS reader has everything you're looking for available in real time. Watch news on the go or from the comfort of your home on your connected Sony TV.|
|Widgets||Facebook: Millions of people use Facebook everyday to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet.|
|Twitter: Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news. Get breaking news, headlines, and top stories from leading news sources, designed for the big screen.|
|Flikr: Flickr is the best way to store, sort, search and share your photos online. Flickr helps you organize that huge mass of photos you have and offers a way for you and your friends and family to tell stories about them.|
|Yahoo Connect TV|
|Yahoo Connect TV||Yahoo Finance/News/Weather: Get stock quotes, business news, and market updates plus fast access to your Yahoo! portfolio, on your TV. Choose a location and get a snapshot of current weather conditions, the 5-day forecast and more, on your TV.|
|Yahoo Sports: View breaking sports news, headlines, scores, and videos from the leading internet sports site designed for Internet TV.|
|Fantasy Football: The web's #1 fantasy football game comes to your Sony TV|
|ESPN Score Center: The ESPN ScoreCenter TV app gives you access to latest scores, upcoming games, stats, and even more! On demand, and right on your TV screen. Browse through multiple sports such as NFL, MLB, and the NBA. The ESPN ScoreCenter TV app also puts you in the driver seat by enabling you to customize your TV experience selecting your favorite sports and teams.|
|Home Shopping Network: HSN Shop by Remote interactive shopping gives you the ability to purchase items using just your TV's remote control. It's easy, secure and the fastest way to buy HSN products.|
|Ebay: Get real-time updates, place bids, and monitor your favorite items on Ebay from your Sony LED-LCD TV.|
|Disney: Experience the magic of Disney anytime. Rock out to music videos and laugh along to clips from your favorite Disney stars. See what TV shows and movies are coming Ssoon and much more. All from Disney|
|Opera Internet Brower|
|Opera Internet Brower||Sony.com: Access to Sony official website|
|Gracenote Music Service: Links to the Gracenote Music Service which contains more than five million tracks for identification and recommendations.|
|URL Searches: Browse the internet via keyword & URL searches.|
Note: Visit the Sony Entertainment Network for the latest internet content. Bravia Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG), music (MP3WMA/LPCM), and video (AVCHD/MPEG) files stored on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
USB Port: The Sony LED-LCD TV features two USB (type-A) ports for sharing your photos (JPEG) or videos (MPEG1/MPEG2/H.264/WMV), and listening to music (MP3) from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32.
- Photo Playback Auto Start: The TV automatically displays the thumbnail view screen when the TV is turned on and a digital still camera or other USB device storing photo files is connected to the TV's USB port.
- Picture Frame: Allows you to display a photograph on the screen for a selected period of time. After that period, the TV automatically switches itself into standby mode.
PC Compatible: A 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal. The television can be used as a monitor for your PC through the TV's RGB HD-15 input or HDMI 1 input. The TV supports the following PC resolutions - VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA, SXGA and HDTV. When a PC is connected to the TV and the PC input is selected, the PC settings screen is available.
- Wide Mode: Select from Normal (original), Full 1 (enlarge picture keep original aspect ratio), or Full 2 (enlarge picture to fill display area).
- Sharpness: Phase (fine tunes overall sharpness), Pitch (adjusts uneven sharpness)
- Position: Horizontal Center (moves the position of picture left/right), Vertical Center (moves position of picture up/down)
- Auto Adjustment: Automatically adjusts the display position and phase of the picture when the TV receives an input signal from the connected PC.
Favorites: The Favorites function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite TV content. The Favorites menu manages your preferred TV channels, external inputs, media files, Internet content, and widgets for quick and easy access. The Favorites feature provides quick access to your frequently used items, such as preferred TV channels or external inputs. In addition, your favorite media files, Internet content. and Widgets can be shown in the Favorites screen.
Scene Mode: You can access the following scene modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: No optimized picture or sound according to the input source.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Input/Channel Label: You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit channel labels to your preference.
Close Captions (CC): The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony LED-LCD TV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers On and Sleep timers.
- TV Timer: The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Input/Channel Block: This feature allows you to block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. The tested TV contained software version v1.153 ( as of 5/3/2012) with an immediate update (v1.158). Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Wireless Remote Control: The TV comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the television. The remote is designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI. The remote offers a dedicated Netflix button to instantly access your Netflix account on the Sony TV.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player:
- Automatically turns the "Bravia" Sync-compatible equipment on and switches the input to that equipment when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu.
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected equipment when the equipment starts to play.
- Automatically turns the connected equipment off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- AV Amplifier:
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on. This function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound.
- Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera:
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
Tabletop Stand: The Sony television comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The television weighs 50.9 lbs with the stand attached. The tabletop stand allows the television to swivel 15° left or right.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 300mm and a vertical spacing of 300mm). The screw holes all accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 41.2 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.75" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.