Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's 16:9 widescreen Hi-Scan XBR® models this 57" model and the 65" KP-65XBR10W are compelling reasons for movie lovers to stay home. The 16:9 aspect ratio is 33% wider than a standard 4:3 TV screen of the same height, and much closer to the way movies are originally filmed.
Sony's Super Fine Extended Definition MicroFocus picture tubes produce a 28% smaller "beam spot" than previous designs, for sharper focus, higher contrast, and a brighter image. The built-in protective screen features a multi-layer anti-glare coating that really helps. To see these TVs at their very best, connect a DTV tuner or a high-performance progressive-scan DVD player (like Sony's incredible DVP-S9000ES).
All of your viewing will be more enjoyable thanks to Digital Reality Creation (DRC). It "upconverts" your analog video sources to 960i resolution. When you enhance video sources with DRC especially DVD scan lines just seem to disappear, leaving a smooth, filmlike image.
If you don't already have a home theater setup, the KP-57XBR10W gives you a head start right out of the box, with built-in Pro Logic decoding, 3 built-in speakers (left, right, center) plus outputs for a surround pair, and 100 watts of total power!
- Hi-Scan 1080i Display (Hi-Scan component video input accepts all 18 DTV formats when connected to an (optional) external DTV tuner and displays them at 1080i or 480p; also accepts 480p output from a compatible DVD player)
- 16:9 screen aspect ratio
- anti-reflection coating on protective screen
- Super Fine Extended Definition MicroFocus picture tubes and 5-element MicroFocus lens system
- Digital Reality Creation (DRC)
- 3D digital comb filter
- Advanced Velocity Modulation Scanning
- 2-tuner PIP with Multi Image Driver
- Flash Focus™ digital convergence system
- MTS stereo reception
- Dolby® Pro Logic decoding
- audio power: 20 watts x 5
- speaker system with built-in left, right and center speakers, plus outputs for a surround pair
- V-Chip parental control
- multibrand remote (DVD/VCR/DBS/cable) with glow-in-the-dark buttons
- 5 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 1 rear-panel NTSC component video (Y/Pb/Pr)
- 1 rear-panel Hi-Scan component video (Y/Pb/Pr or RGB/HV; accepts 1080i/480p/480i)
- 2 RF inputs
- 2 sets of audio output jacks (fixed and variable)
- 54-3/8"W x 55-1/8"H x 26-7/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor, 2 years parts on the picture tubes
FREE In-home delivery! Because of its large size, the KP-57XBR10W will be delivered to any accessible room in your house or apartment. Check the TV's dimensions (above) to make sure it will fit through doorways, stairwells, and around corners. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
Sony KP-57XBR10W Reviews
What's in the box?
- 57" Wide-screen rear projection television
- RM-Y907 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 57" Coaxial cable
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty card
- Product Registration Card
- Note on antenna connection
- Note on using a DTV receiver
- Sony at Your Service card and registration
Features and Specs
|Picture In Picture||2 Tuner|
|Audio Output Power||20 watts x 5|
|Parts Warranty||1 YR/CRT 2|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Type of Warranty Service||---|
|Power On (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Standby (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Footprint Width (inches)||---|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||---|
|Analog Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Video Inputs||5|
|Digital Inputs & Outputs|
|System Link||Control S in/out|
Hi-Scan 1080i Display (DTV Receiver Compatible): Two component video inputs allow you to connect an optional DTV receiver or a source with component video outputs (either standard NTSC or 480p, such as DVD players). This television is capable of receiving 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i digital TV formats. However, this unit is not capable of displaying a 720p format signal as it is. When the 720p format signal is received, it is converted into a 480p format signal. Note: One input is for use with normal NTSC component video only. When using a Digital TV receiver or a DVD player with 480p output, you must use the Video 5 component input.
Widescreen: This 57" projection television has a cinema-like 16:9 aspect ratio.
DRC (Digital Reality Creation): Allows you to enjoy a very high resolution picture from any standard NTSC image by using digital processing to turn all NTSC images to 960i resolution (which is about 4 times the resolution of a standard NTSC image). This helps to give you a finer, more detailed picture and decrease the visibility of scanning lines by doubling the number of scanning lines and pixels per line for four times the original picture resolution. DRC is not available when Video input 5 is used.
3D Digital Comb Filter: Sony's best comb filter uses frame memory to compare each TV scanning line with the corresponding line in the previous and following frames - in addition to the lines above and below. This gives maximum resolution and reduces video noise.
Advanced Velocity Modulation Scanning: This system varies the electron beam speed to render high-contrast picture edges more effectively, giving you superior picture detail.
Flash Focus All Digital Alignment System: With the touch of one button, you can converge the picture by aligning the red, green, and blue picture tubes. This allows you to watch a perfectly converged picture without having to spend a long time manually converging the picture or having to call in a service technician. A series of cross hatches appear on the screen and the convergence is set in about 30 seconds. Note that the set should be allowed to warm up for about 30 minutes prior to convergence and the set should be converged when it is first used.
Microfocus Picture Tubes: Uses an extended neck, reducing beam spot size by 25% for a highly detailed, sharp picture.
Microfocus lenses: Made up of 1 glass and 3 acrylic lenses for a flatter focus plane.
Brightview Dual Component Screen: Delivers 10% better color contrast and 30% higher brightness than Sony's previous designs.
Multi-Image Driver: Gives you the following functions (not available from Video input 5):
- Two tuner Picture in Picture
- Twin View: Allows you to watch two channels simultaneously, both in a reduced screen size. You can change the size of both pictures as desired, and can zoom in on either of the two pictures, alternate sound between the two pictures and freeze the two pictures.
- Channel Index: Allows you to display up to 12 channels simultaneously and select whichever one you want. The current channel is displayed in a reduced size in the center of the screen while up to 12 other channels appear around the main screen. The smaller images are updated once a second.
- Favorite Channel: Allows you to directly access up to 8 channels.
Dolby Pro Logic Sound System: Allows you to enjoy high-quality surround sound without having to use a separate A/V receiver and loudspeakers. The unit uses two 4" tweeters and two 6 3/8" woofers for the mains and two 4" speakers for the center channel. Optional rear channel speakers (not supplied) can be connected to the spring clip terminals on the rear of the projection television. Power output is 20 watts for all 5 channels.
Sound Modes: Besides standard Dolby Pro Logic or stereo, you can also select 3 Stereo, Simulated surround for mono sources, Live, or Game modes
V-Chip Parental Control: This allows you to limit the shows that can be viewed based on the television rating system. This system uses a user selected 4-digit password to block programs from children based on TV Ratings and contents; Movie Ratings and Unrated programs. Note that the unit has three preselected categories (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or you can select the exact restrictions you want by using a Custom setting. After setting Parental Control "On", you must enter the password to view blocked programs. Note that if you forget the password you can enter the master password of 4357 which allows you to create a new password.
Sleep Timer: You can select 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
- Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, Movie, Game or Pro. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments. The Movie setting displays a finely detailed picture for low light environments. The Game setting is optimized to display graphics. The Pro setting displays a picture with minimum enhancements.
- Picture Adjustment: Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, and Sharpness can be adjusted for each mode.
- Color Temperature (Color temperature): You can select Cool, Neutral or Warm. The Cool setting gives the white colors a bluish tint. The Neutral setting gives the white colors a neutral tint. The Warm setting gives the white colors as reddish tint.
- NR (Picture Noise Reduction): This feature reduces picture noise and can be turned On or Off.
- Dynamic Picture (Black Intensity Adjustment): You can select On or Off. When set to On, this feature emphasizes the black level and produces a bolder dynamic picture.
- Sound Adjustment: You can adjust bass, treble and balance.
- MTS/SAP: You can select Stereo, SAP, or Mono.
- Speaker: You can select All on, L/R Off, All off, or Center In which lets you use this unit's center speaker as your center speaker when using a receiver with Dolby Pro Logic.
- Effect: You can select Pro Logic (standard Dolby Pro Logic), 3 Stereo (the sound of the rear channel is output from the main speakers), Simulated (adds a surround effect to mono programs), Live (simulates a concert hall), Game (for video games) or Off.
- Surround Level: Allows you to adjust the sound levels of the unit's center and rear speakers and the balance between the main left and right speakers. Note that a test tone is included.
- Daylight Saving: You can turn auto daylight saving time On or Off.
- Current Time Set: Allows you set the current time.
- On/Off timers: Two Timers allow you to set an On/Off time for a maximum of 6 hours
Wide Screen Mode Menu:
- Auto Wide: You can select On or Off. When set to On, the television automatically displays a picture with an ID-1 (aspect ratio recorded) signal of 480i format in an optimum wide screen mode. Additionally, it displays a normal 4:3 picture in Normal mode, a letterbox picture in Zoom mode and a 4:3 squeezed picture in Full mode.
- Wide Mode: You can select Normal, Wide Zoom, Zoom, or Full for the 4:3 or letterbox picture to fill the 16:9 screen.
- V Center: Allows you to adjust the position of the picture vertically within the screen (available only in Zoom and Wide Zoom modes).
Channel Set Up Menu:
- Channel Skip: After Auto Set Up, you can erase unwanted TV channels from the channel preset memory.
- Channel Caption: Allows you to label up to 32 stations with up to 4 characters each.
- Cable: Can be set to On or Off. Should be set to On if the television is connected to a cable system and set to Off if the television is connected to an antenna.
- Auto Program: The television automatically programs all receivable channels. This feature can be turned On or Off.
- Favorite Channel: Allows quick access to up to 8 favorite channels that you select.
- Channel Fix: Locks the selection of this unit's input when it is being used with external equipment such as a cable box.
Set Up Menu:
- Parental Control: Allows you to block TV programs that are unsuitable for children.
- Caption Vision: Allows you to select CC1, 2, 3 or 4; Text 1, 2, 3 or 4.
- Select Out: Allows you to select which input source is output from the A/V output on this unit.
- Language: Allows you to select English or Spanish for menu displays.
- Video Label: Allows you to use preset labels to label Video 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. You can label Video 1 VHS, 8mm, Beta, LD, Sat, DVD, AV Receiver, Skip, or Video 1. You can label Video 2-4 VHS, 8mm, Beta, LD, Sat, DVD, Skip, or Video 2-4. You can label Video 5 DTV, DVD, Skip, or Video 5.
- Direct Play: Allows you to switch the input mode from the TV to a Sony VCR, Laserdisc or DVD Player when the playback button on the remote control is pressed.
- Freeze Mode: Freezes the picture into a still. There are two modes, Normal which freezes the whole screen and Twin, which freezes the desired picture on the left side of the screen while the normal picture is displayed on the right side of the screen.
- DTV Input: Used to select the correct input when an optional Digital TV Receiver is connected to this set. You can select RGB when the G/B/R/HD/VD jacks of Video 5 have been used or Y PB PR when the Y/PB/PR jacks of Video 5 have been used. If you select the wrong input the picture color will not be correct.
RM-Y907 Remote: The remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other A/V components. Several controls are located under a lid that covers the top half of the remote. A joystick allows you to move the on-screen selector in eight directions, making menu navigation simple and efficient. The numeric keypad, volume control and channel up/down buttons glow in the dark (green).
The remote controls the following VCRs:
|Admiral (M Ward)||Aiwa||Audio Dynamic||Bell & Howell (M. Ward)||Broksonic|
|Funai||General Electric||Go Video||Goldstar||Hitachi|
|Instant Replay||JC Penney||JVC||Kenwood||LXI (Sears)|
|Signature 2000 (M. Ward)||Sylvania||Symphonic||SV2000||Tashiro|
The remote controls the following DVD Players:
The remote controls the following DBS:
Sony General Electric RCA/PROSCAN
The remote controls the following cable boxes:
Gemini Hamlin/Regal Jerrold/G.I. Macom Magnavox Oak Panasonic Philips Pioneer Samsung Scientific Atlanta Tocom Zenith
The remote controls the following Laserdisc Players:
Sony Panasonic Pioneer
Front Panel Inputs (under lid):
- Video 2 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack.
Rear Panel Inputs and Outputs:
- Video 1 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack.
- Video 3 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack.
- Video 4 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack, and Component video jacks (P/Pb/Pr). Note: This input is for use with normal NTSC component video only. When using a Digital TV receiver or a DVD player with 480p output, you must use the Video 5 component input.
- Video 5 (DTV) Input: This video input is for use with Digital TV sources (such as a Digital TV set top box) or a DVD Player with 480p component video output. Besides a stereo audio input there are a total of 5 video jacks which are all RCA jacks. Two of them are HD and VD which are found on some Digital TV Boxes. The other three are the component input which is Y/G, Pa/B and Pr/R. This component input is used when you have a DVD player with 480p output, a Digital TV receiver with component output, or is used along with the HD and VD input if you have a Digital TV receiver with G/B/R/HD/VD video output. Please note that different digital TV formats have varying optimal convergence alignment so the Flash Focus feature should be used when you switch between formats. Also, the following functions will not function when using the Video 5 input; Freeze, PIP including Twin View, Channel Index, Favorite Channel, Select Out, Direct Play or Parental Control.
- Out: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack.
- Aux Coax Input: Female RF coax input.
- VHF/UHF Coax Input: Female RF coax input.
- Control S: Mono mini-jack input and output.
- Rear Speaker Output (8 ohm): Spring clip left and right rear speaker outputs for optional surround speakers.
- Center Speaker Input: Spring clip connector. This input is used to send the center speaker output of a Dolby Pro Logic receiver to this unit so that the center channel speaker of this unit can be used. Note that this input presents an 8 ohm load and will handle 60 watts nominal, 120 watts maximum.
- Audio Outputs: Two sets of stereo RCA jacks, one is fixed and the other is variable.
Warranty Note: Picture tube parts warranty is 2 years.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.