Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
World's first curved LED-LCD TV
Sony's KDL-65S990A doesn't look or sound like a typical HDTV. Its screen is gently curved, to provide a more immersive viewing experience, similar to sitting in a movie theater. That slight curve enhances the sense of depth in every scene.
The KDL-65S990A is certainly the most practical curved-screen TV we've seen. It's the first one that's wall-mountable, and to make that possible, the back of the TV doesn't match the curve of the front — it's flat. That means the body of the TV is actually thinner in the center than at the sides. Sony cleverly uses that extra space on the right and left sides to create resonance chambers for the powerful built-in speaker system.
TRILUMINOS LED backlighting
When you're watching the KDL-65S990A, you'll notice that the colors really pop. Sony is currently the only TV maker using TRILUMINOS Display LED backlighting to create remarkably pure, lifelike colors. This new-generation "quantum dot" technology achieves a wider color range. Even hard-to-reproduce shades like deep reds and emerald greens are displayed beautifully. Sony's "Dynamic Edge" edge-lit LED backlight system essentially divides the screen into regions, each of which can be dimmed independently. This is a form of "local dimming," and it provides excellent picture contrast with black levels that get really black.
Sony TVs have long been known for their powerful video processing. The new X-Reality™ Pro chip enhances picture quality by analyzing and correcting images, resulting in impressively natural detail and color. You'll see the benefits of X-Reality Pro on everything from Blu-ray discs to Netflix® movies to video clips from your smartphone. X-Reality Pro enhances detail and reduces video noise in a sophisticated way. It actually draws on a database of real patterns, shapes and textures to display a startlingly lifelike picture.
The built-in front-facing speakers are angled in multiple directions to create a spacious, detailed soundstage.
A new angle on sound
The KDL-65S990A features an innovative multi-angle speaker configuration. A total of eight front facing speakers — six main and two "surround" — are angled in multiple directions to create a virtual surround sound experience. There are four speakers per side, and on each side the top speaker actually points slightly outward to bounce the sound off the room's walls, creating a slight wraparound effect. The inward facing speakers are precisely angled to deliver specific sounds, like dialogue, directly toward viewers.
Watching more on the web
The KDL-65S990A includes built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network, home to thousands of movies, shows, games and more. You can also stream movies instantly from Netflix® or listen to Pandora® Internet radio through the TV. Built-in Wi-Fi® lets you enjoy entertainment pulled from the web or a PC on your home network without connecting an Ethernet cable. Wirelessly streamed HD video can look surprisingly good.
In addition to standard Wi-Fi operation, Sony's Wi-Fi Direct Mode completely bypasses your wireless router. The next time your friends want to share photos or videos from their smartphones, they can wirelessly "throw" the content straight to this TV. Also, if you download the free Media Remote™ app you can turn your iPhone®, Android™ phone or Sony Tablet™ into a versatile remote.
- 64.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- curved screen with glossy finish, black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- displays 3D images when you wear Sony's active glasses (4 pairs of glasses are included)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- TRILUMINOS LED backlight with local dimming for vivid colors and superior picture contrast
- Motionflow XR 480 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- X-Reality PRO video processing optimizes picture texture, outline, contrast and color
- Internet-ready Smart TV — has built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network (on-demand movies and music), Netflix®, and more (subscription required for some services)
- supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- Skype-ready (requires Sony camera, sold separately)
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- built-in front-facing 8-speaker sound system (10 watts x 4)
- remote control
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone as a remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 64-7/8"W x 13-1/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 64-7/8"W x 33-1/8"H x 4-1/2"D (34"H x 13-1/4"D on stand)
- weight: 106 lbs. with stand; 100.5 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why choose an LED-LCD TV?
Reason #1: Awesome picture quality. The LED backlights in these higher-end LCD TVs can give you better picture contrast and more lifelike colors than sets with typical fluorescent backlighting. Reason #2: They're more energy-efficient than plasma or regular LCD TVs, helping you lower your monthly electric bill and helping the environment.
Sony KDL-65S990A Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Bought as a "Scratch and Dent". It was 16 months old judging by the manufacturer's sticker. It was made in Japan which was a confidence builder. It had a few noticeable backlighting issues but, overall the picture quality was very good. The front firing speakers gave a nice fake 'surround sound'. Normally garbled dialogue from some broadcast shows was clear with plenty of volume. The delivery by UPS Freight and Crutchfield's local vender (Atech, Santa Rosa CA). was outstanding. The TV did not have the original packaging but, Crutchfield did a good job re-packaging this large and heavy (125#) container. Once I got it hooked-up and calibrated it streamed a nice Netflix picture and sound with my attached ROKU box and I was very pleased until I began to explore the installed WIFI applications. None of them worked. I contacted Crutchfield for a little support - that's what I got. Courteous but, not much more than you could get from the product manual. They provided a number to contact Sony; After over 2-1/2 hours of phone wait and 2 hang-ups the Sony support based in India was practically incoherent between the accent and the poor phone connection. It was a monumental waste of time. Nothing was accomplished. The TV could not be 'Reset' for a reboot = a must return defect. Crutchfield approved return but, not easy moving and repacking. IMO Crutchfield should have 'wiped' the old settings and checked ALL functions before shipping this pretty beast.
Pros: Good picture and better than average sound. Bargain priced. Great Crutchfield Customer Support.
Cons: No WIFI or full functionality. Basic remote. Terrible Sony customer support and very skeptical about Crutchfield's quality control on evaluating and pre-shipping "Scratch and Dent" items.
Great TV That Deserves Respect
The KDL65S990A is Sony's premier HD set for 2013 that has been under served by professional reviewers. I don't understand this, as it produces blacks that rival all but the best plasmas, including my Panasonic 65ST50, and colors are extremely accurate and rich. The passive 3-D is the best I've seen. The curved screen adds depth to the image without being a distraction. The side speakers are very good, rivaling all but the very best sound bars.
Pros: Designer looks, curved screen, side speakers, passive 3-D, black levels and shadow detail, triluminous color, attached from the factory stands (but easy to remove if wall mounting), two included remotes.
Cons: Some clouding that can largely be calibrated out and rarely shows itself when watching anything other than all black screens, remote not backlit, heavy. Not full array local dimming.
Truly Outstanding TV!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Okay, I'm not a technophile, but I am really impressed with this TV. The Sony KDL65S990A is huge (65 inches) and heavy (over 100 lbs.), but the picture quality is truly outstanding -- the colors really pop! I think the curved screen does indeed enhance the picture quality. Since the TV is a bit wider than most at the ends, Sony was able to install really good speakers. Even the bass is good -- it's like having two soundbars, one on each side of the TV. I have a Sony Home Theater System, but for everyday viewing, the TV's speakers are fine. Note that the TV comes with 4 passive 3D glasses. I like the fact that they don't require batteries. Tyler at Crutchfield was very helpful in answering my questions and I got a really great deal on an "open box". Everything was brand new and set up was easy. I am completely satisfied with this TV and the excellent service from Crutchfield.
Pros: Truly outstanding picture quality and surprisingly excellent sound quality. Outstanding service from Crutchfield (as always!)
Cons: This TV is a monster - huge and heavy! This may be a concern if you have a small room or plan to wall mount. Otherwise, make sure you have a 70 inch wide, heavy duty TV stand!
Newest of the New and One of the Best Period
So I went to Harrisonburg VA to shop for a TV for Christmas, I was looking for an upgrade over my 35" 1080p 120Hz Samsung. The sales people greeted me and showed me this unit first and as I comparison shopped the 40 to 50 plasma and LCD sets they had on hand (even the new 4000k resolution sets) none of them left a better impression. The high resolution and the subtle curve made everything look more 'real' and 3 dimensional in the store. I loved the ability to watch an LCD screen up close off to the side. The screen is 65" but it doesn't dominate/ take over a room.
Pros: The curve enhances the sense of motion and the perception of depth The blacks are deep and true, colors are lifelike and have a nice pop The WiFi connection is the easiest way to stream Netflix movies possible, good job SONY With a High Def cable or Blue Ray source the TV looks fantastic, with low definition cable stations this TV still looks great, I think this is extremely important that a premium TV looks good ALL the time
Cons: As the feet are on the edge of the TV you need a WIDE stand (I will be mounting it on the wall soon) The HDMI cables I was using on my previous TV did not work with this TV, get a nice HDMI 3 or 4 cable The curved screen is seldom noticeable and the only time I noticed a negative artifact was during a news scroll across the bottom of the screen the speed seemed inconsistent
What's in the box?
- 65" LED-LCD TV
- IR remote control (RM-YD087)
- RF remote control (RMF-YD001)
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Four 3D glasses (TDG-500P)
- Operating Instructions (Setup Guide)
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet
- Limited Warranty
- End User License Agreement
- "Attention" note
- Unpacking note
Features and Specs
Dynamic Edge LED Backlighting w/ Local Dimming: Dynamic Edge LED backlighting with local dimming delivers pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes that pop with vibrant color. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, contrast is boosted in just the right areas for a more realistic picture.
TRILUMINOS Display Technology: Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display technology creates incredibly true, natural shades of colors; just the way you want them. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with natural skin tones. It's all thanks to a new TRILUMINOS display that gives images a heightened sense of depth.
Curved Screen: Surround yourself with a more immersive entertainment experience. The slightly curved screen provides a greater sense of depth to every scene by expanding your field of vision, while delivering a more natural viewing experience. It also helps reduce eye fatigue. In addition, the slight curvature of the screen is engineered to produce a wider angle of visibility which will help your friends sitting at varying angles to see more and have a more comfortable view of the picture than traditional flat screens.
X-Reality PRO Engine: Sony's X-Reality PRO Engine lets you enjoy a vivid, lifelike picture experience by analyzing each scene pixel-by-pixel so you see sharpened images, amazing contrast, and fine detail. Blu-ray Disc movies, cable TV, satellite TV, and even Web videos each place unique demands on the processing circuits of a TV. The X-Reality PRO Engine helps get the best results from these different video sources by analyzing texture, outline, contrast, and color reproduction. The X-Reality PRO Engine will then analyze each scene pixel-by-pixel across 3-dimensions (Width, Height, and Time) and uses sophisticated pattern matching to optimize the picture, ensuring you always get the best images possible.
MotionFlow XR 480: Sony's MotionFlow XR 480 technology combines 120 frames-per-second with an advanced backlight blinking system to simulate a 480 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 480 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between various settings.
- Standard: Provides smooth picture movement for standard use.
- Smooth: Provides smoother picture movement for film-based content.
- Clear: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content.
- Clear Plus: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
- True Cinema: Images, such as a movie created in 24fps are reproduced at the original frame rate.
1080p Resolution: The Sony KDL-S990A series television has a HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p). All video signals from standard definition and high definition sources are displayed at 1920 x 1080. The Sony KDL-S990A series TV is equipped with HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The KDL-S990A series TV is fitted with four HDMI inputs to connect your high-definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, and AV receiver. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video (480i only) input instead.
- Composite Video: The composite video input will support 480i video signals only.
Note: The TV has a RF-coaxial input and built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MHL Compatible: The HDMI 2 input is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 2 (MHL) input using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Sony TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 2 input. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Passive 3D Technology (w/ glasses): The Sony KDL-S990A series LED-LCD TV uses the same Passive 3D technology used to power 3D films in today's movie theaters. The Sony LED-LCD TV creates stereoscopic three-dimensional images using polarized glasses (4 pair included), making it ideal for 3D movies and games. This passive 3D technology offers wider viewing angles, no "flicker-effect", and less eye strain. To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D. You can even adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference.
Note: The Sony LED-LCD TV can display in 3D via 3D broadcasting or when the TV is connected to a compatible device, such as a 3D-ready Blu-ray player with 3D content. The TV must be connected to your 3D source via HDMI (v.1.4) and you must wear the included passive 3D glasses in order to see these images in 3D (three-dimensional) format.
Automatic Intelligence: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
|Captions||stretches the picture horizontally to fill a 16:9 screen, while fitting captions in the screen|
Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Adjustments: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
- Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Cinema: 1 (suitable for a theater-like environment), 2 (for basic home use).
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Sports: Optimizes picture quality for viewing sports.
- Animation: Optimizes picture quality for viewing animations.
- Game: Standard (provides standard picture suitable for games), Original (adjust the game picture according to your preference).
- Graphics: Optimizes picture quality for viewing graphics.
- Photo: Standard (optimizes picture quality for viewing photographs), Original (enhances the visual warmth of photographs), Vivid (enhances contrast, sharpness, color of photographs), Custom: (adjustment of detailed settings for viewing photographs and storing your preferred settings).
- Custom: Backlight (adjust brightness of backlight), Picture (adjusts picture contrasts), Brightness (adjusts brightness of picture), Color (adjusts color intensity), Hue (adjusts green and red tones), Color Temperature (adjusts the whiteness of the picture), and Sharpness (adjusts sharpness of picture).
- Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features
- Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
- LED Dynamic Control: Optimizes contrast by adjusting brightness in individual sections of the screen.
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Resolution: The Resolution function adjusts detail and clarity of the picture.
- Detail Enhancer: Enhances the details of the picture.
- Edge Enhancer: Enhances the edges of the picture.
- Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Smooth Gradation: Creates smooth gradations on flat surfaces of the picture.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
- Digital Noise Reduction: The LED-LCD TV provides
Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) to help eliminate noise and create a clear
- MPEG Noise Reduction: MPEG Noise Reduction enhances detail in whatever you're watching with meticulous processing. It even helps clean up video from DVD, digital broadcasts, USB and PC sources so the picture looks pristine and vivid. You can set the level of noise reduction to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Dot Noise Reduction: Dot Noise Reduction reduces the dot noise level of video images. Set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Detailed Picture Setup: The Detailed Picture Setup menu
further fine tunes your video sources.
Color Space: Adjusts the color space of the original video or photo to an image quality appropriate for the source.
- x.v.Color: This is a video color space that supports the xvYCC international standards and enables a wider color gamut for vivid representation of colors in the natural world, such as the brilliant hues of flowers and the wide array of beautiful ocean hues
- Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
- HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
- CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program or external analog input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. You cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from the component video or HDMI inputs in the main window and a TV program or external analog input in the sub window. You can switch audio between the two images.
Angled Speaker System w/ S-Force Front Surround: The S990A's multi-angle speakers provide sound you wouldn't expect from a TV. The 40 watt front facing speakers are angled in multiple directions for excellent results. S-FORCE Front Surround provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. S-Force Front Surround simulates 5.1ch surround sound, with an enlarged sweet spot that everyone in the room can enjoy. You can active a 3D mode to generate a virtual three-dimensional sound effect to match your 3D video.
Note: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount/Floor Stand" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Preset Sound Modes + 7-Band EQ: The TV offers five preset sound modes (Standard, Music, Cinema, Game, Sports). The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
Advanced Audio Settings: The TV offers additional audio adjustments to enhance the television's sound.
- Sound Enhancer: The Sound Enhancer reproduces clear sound by complementing high-frequency bands.
- Sound Booster: The Sound Booster enhances both treble & bass in order to reproduce a more dynamic sound.
- Voice Zoom: Makes voice clearer by lowering background sound.
- Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs.
- Advanced Auto Volume: The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and USB input can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. HDMI and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI IN 1 port. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony KDL-S990A series LED-LCD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony KDL-S990A series LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony LED-LCD TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG), music (MP3/WMA/LPCM), and video (AVCHD/MPEG/WMV) files stored on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Sony Entertainment Network: Once the TV has been connected to your home network, you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony LED-LCD TV screen via Bravia Internet Video, Opera TV Store, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL. The Opera TV Store lets you download additional apps. Click here for a full list of Sony Entertainment Network content.
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony TV. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular online movie services; Netflix(5.1ch), Hulu Plus, Video Unlimited, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, and more. You can also listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; Pandora, Music Unlimited, Slacker, NPR, and more.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store provides a collection of additional downloadable web apps that are optimized for TV viewing. These apps range from videos (viewster), weather (AccuWeather), news (Associate Press), social networks (Facebook/Twitter), photo albums (Flickr), games, and more.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony LED-LCD TV. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Bravia Entertainment Network content requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
Skype Ready: You can enjoy free high-definition Skype-to-Skype video calls from the comfort of your living room through this Sony TV. Simply attach the Sony compact microphone/camera (158CBR100, sold separately) and see your friends on the big screen. Or, you can use your MHL-connected mobile phone as your camera.
Screen Mirroring (via Miracast & NFC): Using Miracast and Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, you'll instantly be able to view exactly what's on your smartphone's screen on the TV. Movies, music and apps are automatically scaled to fit the larger TV screen. Your smartphone must be WiFi-enabled and support Miracast or NFC. The TV's NFC tag is located on the back of the RF remote control. Currently only select Sony Xperia Android-based smartphones are compatible with this TV's NFC tag function.
Triple USB Ports: The Sony LED-LCD TV features three USB (type-A) ports for sharing your photos (JPEG) or videos (MPEG/H.264/XviD/WMV9), and listening to music (MP3/WMA) from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32.
- Photo Playback Auto Start: The TV automatically displays the thumbnail view screen when the TV is turned on and a digital still camera or other USB device storing photo files is connected to the TV's USB port.
- Photo Frame: You can enjoy looking at a photo, listening to music, and viewing the clock/calendar at the same time. To prevent any type of burn-in, the position of the photo, clock, and calendar are switched automatically every hour. The TV will automatically shut off after 1, 2, 4, or 24 hours of Photo Frame mode.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Favorites: The Favorites function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite TV content. The Favorites menu manages your preferred TV channels, external inputs, media files, Internet content, and widgets for quick and easy access. The Favorites feature provides quick access to your frequently used items, such as preferred TV channels or external inputs. In addition, your favorite media files, and Internet applications can be shown in the Favorites screen.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
- Content Information Search: This feature searches for information about the TV program you are watching, or the currently playing music title/artist name on your TV, from an Internet database.
- Related Search: When the TV is connected to the Internet, you can search for related content while watching various content on the TV.
- History: This feature displays the last five sources you have selected from TV, external inputs, network apps, media server, and USB.
Scene Select: You can access the following Scene Select modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: Optimizes picture and sound quality for general content.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Animation: Lets you enjoy watching an animation with superb picture and sound quality.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Input/Channel Label: You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit channel labels to your preference.
Close Captions (CC): The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony LED-LCD TV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers On and Sleep timers.
- TV Timer: The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
i-Manual: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV's full owner's manual can be accessed on the TV using the remote's i-Manual button.
Dual Wireless Remote Controls: The TV comes supplied with an IR remote control and RF remote control for wireless operation of the television. The remotes are designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI. The IR remote offers a dedicated Netflix button to instantly access your Netflix account on the Sony TV and a numeric keypad. The RF remote control provides an on-screen numeric keypad.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player:
- Automatically turns the "Bravia" Sync-compatible equipment on and switches the input to that equipment when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu.
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected equipment when the equipment starts to play.
- Automatically turns the connected equipment off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- AV Amplifier:
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on. This function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound.
- Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera:
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
TV SideView Remote App: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the Sony KDL-S990A series TV and browse its content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (5.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.2+). Simply download the this app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store onto your compatible device. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony LED-LCD TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
USB Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the USB mouse and enter text with the USB keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial/IR Ports: You can connect the 3.5mm serial and IR ports to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Tabletop Stand: The Sony television comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand. The table-top stand allows the TV to swivel left or right 15-degrees. The television weighs 106 lbs with the stand attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a spacing of 400mm (h) x 400mm (v). The screw holes accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 100.5 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.25" from the wall.