Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's Grand Wega models have become some of our best-selling big-screen TVs. Their latest XBR '950 series is especially exciting our first rear-projection LCD TVs to include a built-in tuner for receiving over-the-air digital TV signals. Prepare yourself for the eye-popping beauty of free local HDTV broadcasts (HD-compatible antenna required).
There are two key factors that determine the picture quality of "fixed-pixel" TVs like this XBR Grand Wega: the pixel count of the display panel(s), and the video processing circuitry. The KDF-70XBR950 uses three LCD elements (one each for the red, green, and blue signals), and each is packed with over one million pixels (1386 x 788 better than 720p). The equally important video processing is powered by the Advanced Wega Engine System, which consists of three technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Enhanced Direct Digital II: The first step in the digital processing chain, Direct Digital II includes an integrated 3D digital comb filter. This new circuit improves the video signal-to-noise ratio by reducing the number of digital-to-analog conversions.
- Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction V1: Upconverts NTSC (analog) signals to near-HD quality. This latest version of DRC lets you adjust the amount of enhancement based on the quality of the input signal, so you'll see clear, stable images no matter what the video source.
- Multi-Image Driver (MID X): Specially designed for "fixed-pixel" TVs, MID X's primary job is to scale (convert) all incoming signals to match the display's 1386 x 788-pixel resolution without degrading signal quality. It also provides unique picture-and-picture features like Twin View with scalable windows.
Don't confuse this 70" beauty with "old school" rear-projection tube TVs. The KDF-70XBR950's slim, sculpted cabinet is only a little deeper than your typical 27" TV! Besides saving space and weight, LCD panels eliminate misconvergence and other performance limitations of tube-based big-screen TVs, while virtually eliminating the potential for image "burn-in." (This is a great TV for videogame fans.)
To really see Sony's XBR Grand Wega technology at its best, feed this TV your most demanding sources: 1080i and 720p HDTV broadcasts, or progressive-scan DVD (480p). They'll knock your socks off! The TV automatically converts all input sources to a high-resolution progressive output for a picture that is crisp, flicker-free, and effortlessly realistic. A variety of viewing modes lets you re-size the squarish 4:3 aspect ratio of conventional analog signals to fit the Grand Wega's wide screen you can enjoy its breathtaking 70" picture at all times, without those distracting black bars!
Hooking up a DVD player, VCR, TiVo recorder and PlayStation is no problem because the KDF-70XBR950 has a total of 7 A/V inputs. You'll find 2 HD-compatible component video inputs, plus 4 composite/S-video inputs. Digital video inputs include DVI for compatibility with new-generation satellite HD tuner boxes (and even a few DVD players), plus 3 i.LINK® inputs for use with compatible A/V components (but not computers). And here's a bonus for owners of Sony Memory Stick® digital cameras a front-panel Memory Stick slot so you can enjoy your digital photos in life-sized color and clarity!
Sony's matching SU-GW3 stand will really show off your new XBR Grand Wega.
- 70" HDTV (displays all signals at 788p)
- built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner
(receives and decodes over-the-air HDTV/SDTV signals)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1386 x 788 pixels
- 130°(H) x 60°(V) viewing angle
- Uniform Brightness Screen Technology
- high-contrast protective screen with double anti-reflective coating
- Advanced Wega Engine video processing
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction V1 (upconverts non-HD sources)
- CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing
- dual 181-channel NTSC tuners with Twin View 2-tuner PIP
- SRS® TruSurround and BBE® sound enhancement circuitry
- multibrand remote control
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
(accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 1 rear-panel DVI digital video input with HDCP copy protection
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable signals
- 3 i.LINK (IEEE 1394) inputs (2 rear, 1 front)
- optical digital output for Dolby® Digital
- Enhanced Memory Stick slot (JPEG/MP3 playback)
- 30 watts total power (5 x 2, plus 20 watts for woofer)
- 71-3/4"W x 45"H x 25-1/2"D
- weight: 204 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony KDF-70XBR950 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I purchased this TV over 5 years ago. It was a great TV however, this is a poorly manufactured TV! Parts of the TV around the bulb have warped and melted!
As it turns out Sony is aware of the problem and they extended the Limited Extended Warranty for Certain 2003 and 2004 Televisions Exhibiting Warping of the Lamp Access Door. The certified Sony repair man informed Sony of the problems with the TV and I was contacted by Sony about next steps. They informed me that they no longer make some of the parts needed to fix the TV. They offered me a new LCD 52 inch TV at a $900 discounted price (my out of pocket cost would be $750 dollars) to replace my 70 inch $6000 TV....something is wrong here! I did not take that offer and they are reviewing my request for a replacement TV.
I have had this TV since Jan 05, and it has been great! Yes, I have had to change the projection bulb a couple of times but the picture quality is excellent. The only drawback is a common one with older LCDs, the dark black colors on the screen are a little faded, and good luck moving it because it is huge.
Yes, it only has 1 DVI connector in the back which is compatible with HDMI(Just get a HDMI to DVI cable). In response to a post here, the PS3 works fine on it and you would be hard pressed to see a difference between 1080p and 1080i. I have been very happy with it and I believe it was worth the 6k I paid for it at the time.
The reviewer above is misinformed. First off, HDMI and DVI are totally compatible, Instead of buying a DVI to DVI wire, you buy an HDMI to DVI wire. No compatability issues with the PS3 or other hdmi products at all. Second, there are currently no movies or broadcasts in 1080P. HD broadcats are either 720P or 1080I which this TV supports. When there is 1080P content, then it will be a shortcoming. Until then, this is an amazing 70 inch screen.
No HDMI or 1080P
How can this tv be considered true HDTV when it doesn't even support 1080P. It doesn't even include a single HDMI imput. So basically it can't even be hooked up to a Playstation 3 that is coming out in less then a year.(only through composite). Both are Sony Products. Sony really dropped the ball on this one. Stay away on this one or look at either a Samsung, Sanyo, Toshiba, Hitachi etc. Sony is supposed to be the Best but its not the case with this television.
No HDMI = No Thanks.
What's in the box?
- 70" Widescreen LCD projection TV
- RM-Y914 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 1 Cleaning cloth
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty card
- "Features and Notes on Viewing your LCD Projection TV" sheet
- "Use of Cleaning Cloth" sheet
- Required Public Statement For GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used In This Television
Features and Specs
|Resolution (pixels)||1386 x 788|
|Picture In Picture||2 Tuner|
|Audio Output Power||5 x 2/20 x 1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||---|
|Power On (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Standby (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Footprint Width (inches)||---|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||---|
|Analog Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Video Inputs||7|
|Digital Inputs & Outputs|
|System Link||Control S|
HDTV (ATSC) Tuner: The KDF-70XBR950 has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, so you don't have to purchase a separate digital set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV signals.
Native Resolution: Since the KDF-70XBR950 has a display resolution of 1386 x 788, all input signals will be displayed at 1386 x 788.
WEGA Engine System: Sony's Proprietary WEGA Engine System consists of 3 key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Enhanced Direct Digital II Circuitry: The first step in the digital processing system, Direct Digital II circuitry with integrated 3D Comb filter, increases signal-to-noise ratio when converting the signal from analog to digital by reducing the number of Digital to Analog conversions.
- Digital Reality Creation Multifunction V1: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent, while doubling the number of vertical and horizontal lines. This results in four times the density for quality sources, such as DVD, satellite, and digital camcorders. The Video Menu allows you to select high-density, progressive, or CineMotion output. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
- Multi-Image Driver (MID-X): The Multi-Image Driver maintains the integrity of a converted signal by minimizing image loss in the scaling process, providing unique flexible Twin-View picture and picture features.
CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3/2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
Wide XGA LCD Panels: This television features three 0.87" wide XGA LCD panels, one for each RGB (Red, Green, and Blue) signal, that each resolve 1.09 million pixels for crisp, precise picture detail.
Superfine Pitch Lenticular Screen: With a screen pitch of just 0.098 mm, this screen controls the spread of light to increase the viewing angle both vertically and horizontally.
Optical Engine: The Sony optical engine provides a high-resolution picture from corner to corner across the entire screen. It also renders an image with high-brightness utilizing a 120W UHP (Ultra High Pressure) Lamp that you can easily replace.
3D Digital Comb Filter: Sony's 3D digital comb filter analyzes picture information horizontally, vertically and over time. You will get high resolution under most picture conditions.
High Contrast Protective Screen: This television has a screen with a scratch-resistant dark tint surface that increases black level, resulting in brilliant colors.
Double Anti-Reflective Coating: This treatment is applied to the high-contrast screen so pictures remain vivid and contrast remains rich and vibrant. In addition, the double anti-reflective coating eliminates glare from room lights.
Twin View: Using the Multi-Image Driver, Twin View allows you to watch two programs side-by-side with the ability to zoom in on one picture and listen to the program in the selected window. You can watch pictures from two different sources (1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i) simultaneously.
Note: Only the left Twin View window can display 1080i, 720p, and 480p sources.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
Favorite Channel: This feature allows you to store and quickly access 16 of your favorite channels.Favorite Channel Preview: This feature allows you to preview up to 16 favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
Video Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, or Pro. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments. The Pro setting displays a picture with minimum enhancements.
Wide Screen Modes: You can select a default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. If the 4:3 Default is set to anything but Off, the wide screen mode setting changes only for the current channel. When you change channels, the wide mode is automatically replaced with the 4:3 Default setting. You can choose from the following screen wide screen mode options:
- Wide Zoom: select to enlarge the 4:3 size picture, while the upper and lower parts of the picture are condensed to fit the 16:9 screen
- Normal: returns the 4:3 picture to normal mode
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the wide screen
enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect
ratio that fills the 16:9 screen
- Note: Wide Mode is not available while in Twin View, Freeze mode, or when viewing 1080i and 720p sources.
Vertical Center: This feature allows you to move the position of the picture up and down in the window.
Vertical Size: This feature allows you to adjust the vertical size of the picture.
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Sound Effects: To enhance the sound, you can choose one of the following effects:
- Virtual Dolby: provides Dolby Pro Logic surround sound
- TruSurround: adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs
- Simulated: adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel.
Memory Stick Viewer: This television has a front-panel Memory Stick slot that is compatible with JPEG images taken with Sony digital still cameras and MPEG1 movies taken with Sony digital cameras and camcorders. You can use Memory Stick Duo if you have a Memory Stick Duo adapter. In addition to images, the Memory Stick Viewer will play back MP3 files.
Memory Stick Index: The Memory Stick Index displays thumbnail images of the files stored on a Memory Stick. You can individually highlight and display any image in the Index.
Viewing Still Images: When viewing a still image, you can increase or decrease the magnification. When you zoom in on the image, you can pan across the photo using the transport buttons on the remote. In addition, you can rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise.
Playing Movies: When viewing a movie on a Memory Stick, you can enlarge the movie window for easier viewing. During playback, you can pause the movie or move to the previous or next movie on the Memory Stick.
Slide Show: You can view JPEG images or MPEG1 movies in a Slide Show. The Slide Show menu includes the following options:
allows you to select background audio to play during the Slide Show:
- Play All: plays all MP3 files on a Memory Stick
- Piano: plays the MP3 file stored in the TV's internal memory
- List of MP3 Files: displays a list of all MP3 files found at the top level (root) of the Memory Stick
- Complete List: displays a list of all available MP3 files on the Memory Stick
- Transition Effect:
allows you to select an effect to be used when advancing to the next file in
the Slide Show:
- Fade: uses a cross fade
- Wipe (up, down, left, right): uses a linear sweep that moves across the screen, revealing the next image while covering the previous image
- Random: randomly cycles through all transition effects
- Slide Duration: allows you to specify a timed slide advance after a selected time interval; you can select 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or 5 minutes
- Repeat: plays the Slide Show repeatedly
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, laserdisc players, DVD players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers.
i.LINK: The TV has three i.LINK inputs, one on the front panel and two on the rear-panel, allowing the display to be used with compatible i.LINK-equipped A/V components.
Note: These terminals are not intended for use with personal computers.
Video 7 DVI-HDTV In: Although the TV has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, this input allows you to connect an optional digital set-top box. This input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and a DVI-D terminal. The DVI-D terminal can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-D terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers.
Note: The DVI-D input will accept 1080i, 720p, and 480p signals.
Component Video Inputs: Although the TV has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, these inputs allow you to connect an optional digital set-top box. The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
Optical Out: The TV has a rear-panel Toslink optical digital output with a plastic protective cover.
Audio Out: The TV has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can select one of the following audio out settings: Fixed or Variable.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.