Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Sony BDV-E780 is home theater made simple and convenient. You won't need to figure out which components are 3D-ready and will work together. This system is matched and ready to give you exciting 3D entertainment. It also makes surround sound easy to manage. Its five compact speakers include two wireless satellites and a subwoofer. Find yourself wrapped up in your favorite Blu-ray movies, concerts, TV shows, and video games without being tangled in speaker wire.
Blu-ray opens new dimensions in site and sound
Blu-ray movies offer incomparable image quality and 3D draws you right into the middle of the story. Simply hook the player/receiver up to your 3D TV via an HDMI cable, pop in a 3D movie, and put on your 3D glasses. You'll also experience the new high-resolution audio formats found on Blu-ray discs, with enough built-in amplification to give you dynamic, atmospheric, wraparound sound. Best of all, the included speakers are matched to the system. Two wireless surround speakers ensure easier placement without having to run wire all over the room.
Endless hours of digital entertainment
The BDV-E780 lets you play a variety of online content on your TV, like instantly available movies from Netflix® and videos from YouTube™. Or listen to PANDORA® Internet radio and Slacker played through the system's speakers. Streaming music, video and photos from your networked PC is made simpler with DLNA networking capability. And you can connect to your network with an Ethernet cable, or if you're wireless, the built-in Wi-Fi® receiver has you covered. You can also enjoy music and videos stored on your iPod® or iPhone® through the included iPod dock.
The 'E780 comes with Sony's automatic speaker calibration, making setup a snap. Just place the speakers around your room, put the included microphone in your favorite listening position, and let the system calibrate itself to deliver the best possible sound in your room. You can even control this system with your iPhone, iPad® or compatible Android™ phone when you download a free Sony media app — a nice extra for times when you can't lay your hands the remote.
- home theater system with 3D Blu-ray Disc player/receiver, 5 speakers, and a subwoofer
- wireless surround speakers
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, and music from a number of sources, including Netflix®, YouTube, PANDORA®, and Slacker® (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- find out the latest info about this system's Internet apps at Sony's website
- learn more about the Sony Entertainment Network
- Wi-Fi® capability built in for an easy link to your wireless network
- iPod®/iPhone® dock included
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- 2 USB inputs for connecting a digital camera, MP3 player or thumb drive
- BRAVIA® Theatre Sync simplifies remote operation for compatible Sony TVs and components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- control the player and access detailed movie information from your iPhone, iPad® or compatible Android phone (requires free app)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy setup (microphone included)
- speaker wire and remote control included
- viewing high-definition 3D Blu-ray content requires a 3D-compatible HDTV and 3D glasses
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- plays 3D Blu-ray discs, standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs, MP3, WMA, AAC CDs, SACDs and JPEG CDs
- plays AVCHD video files recorded on HD camcorders and burned to DVD
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p via HDMI output
- video upconversion for DVD (via HDMI)
- built-in Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro Logic® II, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, DTS-ES, and DTS-HD audio processing
- 6-channel amplifier (167 watts x 5 for speakers and 165 watts for subwoofer)
- 2 HDMI inputs
- audio inputs include stereo, coaxial digital, and optical digital
- video output for TV includes composite, component video, and HDMI
- receiver: 16-15/16"W x 2-15/16"H x 12-1/2"D
- front speakers: 4-1/8"W x 12-11/16"H x 4-1/8"D (each)
- center channel speaker: 12-7/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 2-1/16"D
- rear speakers: 3-3/4"W x 9-1/3"H x 3"D (each)
- subwoofer: 8-5/16"W x 13-1/4"H x 16-3/8"D
Transform your TV experience
Enjoy rich, robust sound that puts you right in the middle of your favorite movies, TV shows, and video games. Powered home theater systems come with speakers and a subwoofer plus the amplification to drive them. Many of these systems feature low-profile consoles and ultra-compact speakers for minimal visual clutter. Some include a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player for enjoying movie and concert discs.
Sony BDV-E780W Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Easy to install and great sound (especially great sound when playing blu-rays). I have my uverse cable box running through the receiver to the ARC channel tv to use the sound system with my cable as well. There is an issue with the HDMI connection between the cable box and receiver than causes a small picture distortion. This can be fixed by unplugging the HDMI from the cable box and reconnecting it after each boot up. I have read that this is actually a handshaking issue between the cable box and receiver with an HDMI connection, and is no way a reflection of the Sony system. Just be aware that there may be an issue if you have uverse and plan to do this connection with HDMI.
love the wireless rear speakers
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Bought this to have rear speakers without wires and they work great. After moving them from the floor to the table we noticed how much better they work. I actually thought someone was making noise in the other room when it was the sound from the show. Great system for the price.
really like the system, challenge to set-up internet connection
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Really like the system, but it was a challenge to get things like Netflix to work with the system. Setting up the system itself was easy enough. One clarification, the rear speakers are not really wireless, they hook up to the small amp box in another part of the room, so they do not need to plug into the main box. Nice system. works with the apple TV
What's in the box?
- Integrated Blu-ray/DVD receiver (HBD-E780W)
- Wireless surround amplifier (TA-S300WR)
- 2 Wireless transceivers (EZW-RT50)
- Passive subwoofer (SS-WSB105) with attached 10' length of speaker wire terminated by a proprietary connector
- Center-channel speaker (SS-CTB103)
- 2 Front speakers (SS-TSB107) with attached 10' length of speaker wire terminated by a proprietary connector
- 2 Surround speakers (SS-TSB106)
- IR wireless remote control (RM-ADP059)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- iPod/iPhone dock (TDM-iP30)
- 42" miniUSB-to-USB cable
- Setup-microphone (ECM-AC2) with attached 13.5' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector
- 4' Composite video cable
- One 7' length of speaker wire (with bare-tinned wire on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- Two 10' lengths of speaker wire (with bare-tinned wire on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- FM wire antenna
- The Chronicles Of Narnia 3D Blu-ray disc
- Easy Setup Disc (DVD-video)
- Quick Setup Guide (Eng/Spa)
- Operating Instructions
- Speaker Installation Guide
- Limited Warranty
- Online Product Registration
- Software License Information
Overview: The Sony BDV-E780W Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theater System includes an integrated 3D-ready Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver and a 5.1-channel speaker system with a wireless surround amplifier for the rear speakers. The Sony BDV-E780W offers the latest Dolby Digital (Plus & TrueHD) and DTS (HD Master Audio & High Resolution) formats for Blu-ray and features Digital Cinema Auto Calibration to optimize your home theater experience. It also provides HDMI 1080p upscaling for your DVD collection and supports 3D video content. In addition, it supports iPod/iPhone (via included dock) and USB device connection via its front-panel USB port, as well a internet access to select Internet content via its rear-panel Ethernet port or built-in WiFi.
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDV-E780W is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R (ver.1.1/1.2/1.3), BD-RE (ver.2.1)|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, Super Audio CD|
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDV-E780W is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Much Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet via the rear panel Ethernet terminal.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.
MPEG-4 Playback: The Sony BDVE-570 Blu-ray home theater system supports playback MPEG4 video files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. The unit can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 filers per folder.
JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. Still images on your disc can be viewed in a Slide-Show as well as rotated 90-degrees left or right. The unit can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 filers per folder.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The BDV-E780W supports MP3/WMA/AAC audio files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. When stopped and restarted, playback resumes at the same point as long as the tray hasn't been opened and the player hasn't been turned off. The unit can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 filers per folder.
SACD: Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range - some 64 times higher resolution then CD - Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just cannot hear on a normal CD.
Dual HDMI Inputs: The Sony BDV-E780W is equipped with two HDMI (ver.1.4) inputs to let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver/cable box or game system for high definition video and audio. Both HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and video up to 1080p, as well a 3D content.
Note: Video signals from the HDMI inputs are only sent out through the unit's HDMI output to your television. There are no composite, S-video, or component video inputs.
Video Outputs: The Sony BDV-E780W features two high-definition video outputs (HDMI, Component) and one standard-definition video output (composite).
- HDMI (ver.1.4): The BDV-E780W's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television. The HDMI video output support 3D, ARC, Deep Color, and x.v.Color.
- Component Video: The component video resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. If the HDMI output is set to 1080p, the component video output is fixed at 1080i. When a copyright protected Blu-ray disc is played, the maximum component video output resolution is 480i.
- Composite Video: The composite output is always live and fixed at 480i. It can output video when playing a Blu-ray Disc.
Note: Video signals from the BDV-E780W's HDMI inputs are only sent out through the unit's HDMI output to your television. You cannot output video from the receiver's HDMI inputs through the unit's component or composite video outputs.
3D-Ready: The Sony BDV-E780W lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. You can also connect your 3D-compatible Satellite/Cable box or 3D-ready gaming system to any of the unit's HDMI inputs and output the 3D video signal to your 3D-ready television via HDMI.
Note: 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
1080p HDMI Output with DVD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDV-E780W is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i.
24p True Cinema: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDV-E780W will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Deep Color: The Sony BDV-E780W supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the unit and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.
x.v.Color: The BDV-E780W supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Screen Settings: The Sony BDV-E780W features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the display configuration
for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9 wide screen television. You can select
from the following:
- Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV
- Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - Auto and Video.
- Auto: The player automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method.
- Video: The conversion method suited for video-based material will always be selected regardless of the content.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
S-Master Digital Amplifier: The integrated Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver is equipped with an S-Master Digital Amplifier for superb accuracy, clear separation of signals, and balanced sound reproduction using a digital-to-digital process. It is designed to be highly efficient, producing minimal heat, while taking up 1/4 of the space of conventional amplifiers. The amplifier is rated at 167 watts x 3 (Front Left, Front Right, and Center) at 1kHz in 3-ohms with 10% THD; plus 165 watts x 1 (subwoofer) at 80Hz in 3-ohms with 10% THD. The rear surround speakers are powered by a separate wireless surround amplifier that is rated at 167 watts x 2 (Rear Left & Right).
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration: The BDV-E780W is equipped with an Auto Calibration function to achieve ideal surround sound settings for your room. With the included microphone placed at the listening position, Sony's DSP automatically analyzes speaker placement and sets the delay times and output levels. The microphone has a threaded insert on the bottom so it's compatible with a tripod. Speakers configuration, speaker distances and output levels can also be manually set.
Manual Speaker Setup: If your prefer, you can setup the receiver and the connected speakers manually by using the receiver's manual speaker setup menu. You can adjust the level of each speaker from -6 to +6 dB in 0.5 dB steps and set the distance for each speaker from your main listening position (0' to 23' increments).
Surround Modes: The Sony BDV-E780W incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
|Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode:||The Auto Format Direct
(A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select
the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as
multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Standard or Multi
|Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||In this format, the surround speakers output stereo sound with an expanded frequency range and a subwoofer channel for deep bass is independently provided. All six channels in this format are recorded separately for superior channel separation.|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Designed as an extension to Dolby Digital, the audio coding technology supports 7.1 multi-channel surround sound.|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8-channels of multi-channel surround sound.|
|DTS||DTS||This format comprises of stereo rear channel and there is a discrete subwoofer channel in this format. DTS provides the same 5.1 discrete channels of high quality digital audio.|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio||Developed as an extension to DTS, it supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround.|
|DTS-HD Master Audio||DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression. It corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz and maximum of 7.1-channels.|
|DTS-ES (Discrete/Matrix)||DTS-ES (Discrete/Matrix) delivers 6.1 channels of discrete or matrixed audio. Movies encoded in DTS-ES will dramatically intensify the DTS surround effect with the addition of a surround center-channel speaker.|
|DTS 96/24||DTS 96/24 offers a higher quality level of multi-channel audio (up to 5.1 channels) for standard DVDs. The "96" refers to a 96kHz sampling rate (compared to the typical 48kHz sampling rate.) The "24" refers to 24-bit depth, compared to 16-bit depth used for CD sound, which means there is more audio information present.|
|DTS Neo:6 (Cinema/Music)||DTS Neo:6 takes 2-channel (stereo) audio and completely transforms it into up to six full-bandwidth matrix channels of surround sound. Your home theater system will produce six and five separate channels, respectively, to match your speaker layout. DTS Neo:6 can also generate a center surround channel from 5.1 material.|
|Dolby Pro Logic||Dolby Pro Logic||Dolby Pro Logic transforms stereo sound into 4-channel surround sound with mono surrounds.|
|Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie)||Dolby Pro Logic II creates five full-bandwidth output channels from 2-channel sources. The result is enhanced sound field directionality that approaches the quality of discrete 5.1-channel sound.|
|Sound Modes||You can select a suitable sound mode for movies or music. You can choose from Auto, Movie, Music, Sports, Game Rock, Omni-Directional, 3D Surround, Hall, and Night.|
|Two Channel Stereo||The 2 channel button sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two-channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi-channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.|
Note: 7.1 channel surround formats will be downmixed to 5.1 channels. The system's built-in Blu-ray player supports all formats. The unit's HDMI, optical, and coaxial digital inputs do not support multi-channel LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the integrated Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Audio Settings: The BDV-E780W allows you to adjust the following audio settings:
- AV SYNC: When the sound does not match the picture on the TV screen, you can adjust the delay between the picture and sound.
- Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, Standard, and Wide Range.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Sony BDV-E780W features both analog (stereo RCA) and digital (optical/coaxial) audio inputs.
FM Tuner: The BDV-E780W features a built-in FM tuner and stores up to 20 FM preset stations.
Note: There is no AM tuner.
Wireless Surround Kit: The TA-SA300WR Wireless Surround Amplifier Kit gives you a way to place the system's rear speakers in the back of your home theater room without having to run wires from the Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver. The kit includes a 2-channel amplifier and two wireless transceivers. One wireless transceiver plugs into the back of the TA-S300WR while the other plugs into the back of the BDV-E780W. The BDV-E780W is able to wirelessly transfer the rear audio signal to the TA-SA300WR surround amplifier by using a wireless 5.8GHz frequency connection. The surround amplifier has proprietary speaker terminals that match the speaker wires supplied with the home theater system. The TA-SA300WR must be plugged into an AC outlet and speaker wires run from the surround amplifier to the rear speakers. The surround amplifier is rated at 165 watts x 2-channel (in 3-ohm at 1kHz with 10% THD).
Note: The TA-SA300WR measures 8.0625" wide x 2.3125" tall x 9.3125" deep.
Satellite Surround Speakers: The Sony BDV-E780W Blu-ray home theater system features two satellite surround (rear) speakers. Each speaker consists of a bass-reflex cabinet and features a single 2.1875" x 3.1875" cone-type, full-range driver. Each speaker comes with five integrated rubber feet so they can be placed securely on top of your shelves or stands. Each speaker also features a single key-hole slot and 5mm threaded insert slot on its rear-panel to allow you to mount the speakers vertically on a wall (key-hole slot requires optional mounting screw and the 5mm threaded insert requires optional bracket). In addition, each speaker comes with speaker wire which connects to the spring-clip terminals on back of the speaker and the proprietary plugs on back of the included wireless surround amplifier
Note: The surround (rear) speakers are not magnetically shielded.
Center-Channel Speaker: The Sony Blu-ray home theater system features an acoustic-suspension center-channel speaker which consists of one magnetically shielded 1.1875" x 2.375" cone-type, full-range driver. The center-channel speaker comes with four integrated rubber feet so it can be placed securely on top of your TV, shelf or stand. The center-channel speaker also features two key-hole slots on its rear-panel which allows you to mount the center-channel speaker horizontally on a wall. In addition, the center-channel speaker comes with a 7' length of speaker wire which connects to the spring-clip terminals on back of the speaker and the proprietary plugs on back of the AV receiver.
Note: The center-channel speaker is magnetically shielded
Front Speakers: The Sony BDV-E780W features two 2-way front speakers with a separate tweeter (0.75") and woofer (2" x 3") that deliver premium sound with better highs and lows. The front speakers are uniquely designed to provide a wider "sweet spot"; so even when you're watching with the whole family everyone will enjoy great sound. The front speakers employ an acoustic-suspension cabinet an non-removable grille. Each front speaker features a small pedestal stand which allows you to place the speaker on a table-top, shelf, or stand. There is a keyhole slot on the back of each front speaker to mount them on your wall (pedestal stand must be removed). In addition, each front speaker feature an attached 10' length of speaker wire which connects to the spring-clip terminals on back of the speakers and the proprietary plugs on back of the AV receiver.
Note: The front speakers are not magnetically shielded.
Passive Subwoofer: The home theater system features a bass-reflex, passive subwoofer with a down-firing 7" woofer and down-firing port. The subwoofer includes four integrated rubber feet to place the unit securely on your floor. In addition, the subwoofer features and attached 10' length of speaker wire which connects the proprietary plugs on back of the integrated Blu-ray Disc/AV receiver.
Note: The subwoofer is not magnetically shielded.
Speaker Wiring: The integrated Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver uses color-coded 2-pin proprietary jacks for the front, center, and subwoofer outputs. The color-coded 2-pin proprietary jacks for the surround speakers are found on the wireless surround amplifier. Speaker wires, terminated with color-coded plugs, are supplied. Each length of supplied speaker wire has tinned wire on one end, and a color-coded proprietary plug on the other for easy hookup. The color-coded plugs are white (Front Left), red (Front Right), blue (Surround Left), gray (Surround Right), green (Center), and purple (Subwoofer).
LAN (100) Port: Connect the system's rear-panel LAN (100) terminal to your Internet modem or router using a CAT-5 network cable (Ethernet cable sold separately) to access Internet video and music content or update the unit's software.
Built-in Wi-Fi: In addition to the BDV-E780W's Ethernet port (LAN) connection, you can also easily connect wirelessly to your home's broadband network using the system's built-in Wi-Fi.
Note: Requires home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
DLNA Certified: DLNA allows you to share music (MP3/WMA), video (MPEG2), and photo (JPEG) files between DLNA compatible devices using your DLNA home network and the Sony BDV-E780W. The system can recognize up to 20 folders and 999 filers per folder from a DLNA server. A DLNA network can be setup hardwired (using Ethernet port) or wirelessly (built-in WiFi).
Note: Requires home network and DLNA enabled device (such as a Windows PC).
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
BRAVIA Internet Video: The Sony BDV-E780W lets you instantly access millions of online entertainment choices from BRAVIA Internet Video. Using your home network and broadband connection, you can access a wide variety of movies, videos, music, and more. This can be done through the Blu-ray player's Ethernet terminal or built-in WiFi. Currently BRAVIA Internet Video offers the following online content (as of May 2011).
|BRAVIA Internet Video Entertainment Library|
|amazon instant video||Berliner Philharmonic||blip. TV||concierge.com||Crackle||CinemaNow|
|Slacker||Sony Pictures Television||Style.com||Tara Stiles||ustudio||vTuner|
|Video Detective||Videocast.com||Vudu||Wired||YouTube Videos||Yahoo!|
Note: BRAVIA Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
Web Browser: Once you have connected to the Internet via the BDV-E780W's Ethernet terminal or built-in WiFi, you can browse select websites (text-based only) by entering a URL address. Some web-pages may be to large for download.
Note: Requires a broadband internet connection. This is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service.
Favorites: This function displays the Internet contents added to the Favorites Lists. You can save up to 18 favorite Internet selections.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote Metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the unit's internet connectivity. This easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen. You can also access select internet apps including YouTube and Qriocity to find related entertainment
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony BDV-E780W features an Ethernet port and built-in WiFi to connect to the Internet via your home network and features rear-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's rear-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Dual USB Ports: The Sony BDV-E780W features a front and rear panel USB (type-A) port:
- Front Panel: The front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to play photo (JPEG), videos (MPEG), and music (MP3/WMA/AAC) files on a connected USB device. The system can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The unit can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 files per folder.
- Rear Panel: The BDV-E780W features a rear panel USB (Type-A) port which allows you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blue-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content and other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Note: Not all USB devices are supported.
iPod/iPhone AV Dock: The Sony BDV-E780W includes an iPod/iPhone dock (TDM-iP30) which allows you to playback music and videos stored on your iPod/iPhone through the Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD home theater system. The iPod/iPhone dock connects to the unit's front-panel USB port and your television's composite video input. The iPod/iPhone is controlled by the receiver's remote (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen is locked). Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while docked (when receiver is On).
- Music Playback: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, you can listen to music stored on your Apple iPod/iPhone through the Sony BDV-E780W. The USB connection bypasses your iPod/iPhone's DAC and uses the receiver's built-in DACs for better sound quality. Song/artist information and elapsed time are displayed on your connected TV screen. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music using the on-screen menu and remote control by Playlist, Artist, Album Genre, or Song. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions.
- Video Playback: The included iPod/iPhone dock also lets you watch videos stored on your iPod/iPhone through the BDV-E780W and your connected TV (via composite video). The dock plugs directly into your TV's composite video input. You can access Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, Rented Movies, and Video Playlists stored on your iPod/iPhone using the receiver's on-screen menu and IR remote control
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, the Sony BDV-E780W supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of July 2011).
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the receiver and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Quick Start: This feature shortens the startup time from standby mode. When the Quick Start Mode is turned on the standby power consumption is higher.
Parental Control: The Sony BDV-E780W offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
Child Lock: You can deactivate the buttons on the main unit to prevent unauthorized operation.
Dimmer: You can adjust the lighting of the unit's front panel display from Bright or Dark.
Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Sleep Timer: You can set the system to turn off after a preset time period, so you can fall asleep listening to music, The time can be preset in intervals of 10 minutes.
Auto Standby Mode: If any button on the player or remote is not pressed for more than 30 minutes, the player automatically returns to standby mode.
Wireless Remote Control: The supplied IR remote control provides wireless operation of the home theater system. It is also preprogrammed to operate Sony and other manufacture's televisions.
Bravia Theatre Sync: When the Sony BDV-E780W is connected to a Sony TV via HDMI, you can operate the system with simplified controls. In addition to audio and video transmission, control functions are transmitted via the HDMI cable. This feature works with a select number of Sony Bravia TVs. The simplified controls include:
- One-Touch Play: By pressing "Play" on the unit or the remote, the TV turns on and is set for the DVD input mode automatically.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can switch the sound to come out of either the TV or the BDV-E780W's speakers.
- Remote Easy Control: You can control the basic functions of the system via your Sony Bravia TV's remote when the system's video output is displayed on the TV screen.
- Language Control: When you change the language for the on-screen display of your TV, the system's on-screen display language is also changed.
- Routing Control: When you perform One-Touch Play on the connected component, the system turns on and sets the system's function to HDMI1 or HDMI2, and your TV's input is automatically set to the HDMI input to which the system is connected.
- System Power Off: When you turn the TV off by using the "Power" button.
Mobile Device Control: You can turn your iPhone, iPad, or compatible Android phone into a versatile remote when you download the free "Media Remote" app. Enjoy basic remote functions, a full QWERTY keyboard, plus search for information about the movies you're watching on YouTube, Wikipedia, Twitter, and many BRAVIA Internet Video services.
Note: Application must be downloaded from the iTunes application store or Android Market application store. Check Android Market from your device for compatibility. Requires that the Blu-ray Disc Player and remote device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).