Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Capture your memories in full high-definition video
This camcorder will help you capture everything from big once-in-a-lifetime events to those everyday special moments with your friends and family all in crisp high-definition detail. Take great-looking shots of people thanks to the face priority feature, which gives the faces you choose on the touch-panel the best exposure and focus in the frame. And smile shutter will snap stills of those people smiling and looking their best.
The touch-panel LCD screen on the HDR-CX150 allows you to quickly search the menu, easily playback what you've shot, and organize your footage so you can find it when you're ready to show it off.
Storage and Formats:
- records high-definition AVCHD video to 16GB built-in memory
- internal memory holds from 85 minutes to approximately 4 hours of video depending on the video setting
- for extra storage, add SD or SDHC memory cards or optional Memory Stick® PRO Duo cards
- maximum video resolution: 1920 x 1080
- Exmor R CMOS sensor for improved detail and lower noise
- Dolby® Digital 2-channel audio from built-in zoom microphone
- 2-11/16" widescreen touch panel LCD
- 25X Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® optical zoom lens (digital zoom to 300X)
- face detection recording with Smile Shutter still image capture
- simultaneous video recording and photo capture
- digital photo mode takes 1.57-megapixel (effective) still images
- SteadyShot® image stabilization with Active Mode
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 2-1/8"W x 2-1/4"H x 4-1/2"D
- weight: 9 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- AC adapter/charger
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- A/V and USB cables
- supplied software
Shoot videos for posterity or posting online
From birthday parties to YouTube antics, camcorders let you capture moments you can share with friends and family, or the world at large. Most newer camcorders save your videos to built-in digital memory or a removable memory card. Some models come with a built-in hard disk drive that gives you much more storage. For maximum portability, check out our smaller cams that fit into a pocket or purse. For high-def videos that look awesome on your HDTV, go for a slightly larger model with a better lens and image sensor.
Sony HDR-CX150 Handycam® Reviews
Average Customer Review:
sony camcorder review
The Sony Handycam HDR-CX150 can easily fit into the jackets pocket. It is expensive and lacks features like the capability of capturing 3 megapixel images and the 25x zoom lens. For recording, there is no button for touch and release operation, I don't like the touch screen for zooming we have to press it down.
There are touch screen options for spot focus and spot metering.
What's in the box?
- Digital camcorder
- NP-FV50 Lithium-ion battery (6.8V/980mAh)
- AC-L200C AC adapter with attached 67" DC output cord (DC Output: 8.4V/1.7A)
- 5' AC power cord
- 58" Component video cable (with 3 RCA component video plugs and stereo RCA audio plugs on one end and proprietary plug on the other end)
- 57" Composite video cable (with RCA composite video plug and stereo RCA audio plugs on one end and a proprietary plug on the other end)
- 62" USB cable (with Type A USB connector on one end and Mini B 2.0 connector on the other end)
- Sony Handycam software on CD-ROM
- Operating Guide (English/Spanish)
- Notes on compatibility of AVCHD disc
- Notes on using SD memory cards
- Limited Warranty card
- Online Product Registration card
- Accessories brochure
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||2.7|
|Total Pixel Count||4,200,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||1,350,000|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Optical Zoom||25 x|
|Digital Zoom||12 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Built-in Memory||16 GB Flash Memory|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||180 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||1,570,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||Yes|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3, 16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
USB 2.0 High Speed
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
2.7" Touch Panel LCD Screen: The Sony HDR-CX150's 2.7" (16:9) LCD screen provides excellent viewing clarity with improved resolution. The 230,400-dot (960 x 240) LCD screen rotates up to 270 degrees for multiple viewing angles providing sharp and detailed images for monitoring or playback. Mirror mode allows you to view a mirror-image of the subject you are shooting in the LCD screen when the screen is rotated 180 degrees, but the image will still be normal when recorded. In addition, the LCD doubles as an "on-screen" touch panel, allowing you to navigate through the menu system by touching the LCD screen. The LCD also features an adjustable brightness and color level. You can also power on this camcorder by simply opening its LCD display (if you close the LCD while the camcorder is recording, the camcorder stops recording).
Note: The camcorder does not have a separate viewfinder.
16 GB Internal Memory: The CX150 has an internal flash memory of 16 GB, which will allow you to record video and still images. Because some of the memory is used for system management and/or application files, only 15.5 GB of the memory can be used for recording capacity. The internal memory can record and store 1 hours 25 minutes of high definition video footage (1920 x 1080, FX mode), or 3 hours 55 minutes of standard definition footage (720 x 480, HQ mode). When recording video, the camcorder records in 2ch audio using the built-in microphone. The video can be shot in either a standard definition 4:3 or high definition 16:9 aspect ratio.
Memory Cards: In addition to the 16 GB internal memory, the CX150 can also record video and still images to optional memory cards. You can choose from Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark2) or PRO-HG Duo, or SD/SDHC Memory cards up to 32 GB.
Recording Formats: This camcorder captures high definition video footage in the AVCHD format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264), and standard definition video in MPEG2. Audio is recorded in Dolby Digital 2-channel using the built-in microphone. Still photos are recorded in JPEG format.
Image Sensor: The HDR-CX150 is equipped with a 1/4" "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor with ClearVid Array with a gross pixel count of 4,200,000. The camcorder has 1,010,000 effective video pixels in 4:3 mode and 1,350,000 pixels in 16:9 mode. For still images, there are 1,570,000 effective pixels in 4:3 mode and 1,180,000 pixels in 16:9 mode.
Dynamic Range Optimizer: The D-Range (Dynamic Range) Optimizer function adjusts the exposure and contrast of an image to counter the effects of high-contrast shooting condition, allowing for a great shot every time. The D-Range Optimizer suppresses "blackout" in dark areas such as shadows and "whiteout" in bright areas such as skies. As a result, the captured image appears as natural as the original scene.
x.v.Color Technology: x.v.Color technology enables the HDR-CX150 to capture nearly twice as many viewable colors as the standard RGB color range, resulting in more natural, life-like images. You can even experience this expanded color range on your HDTV when you connect your camcorder to an x.v.Color-capable display monitor via HDMI.
Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar Lens: The CX150 is equipped with a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens. The F1.8-3.2 lens has a 25x optical zoom and a 35mm equivalent focal length of 37-1075mm for 16:9, and 45-1325mm for 4:3 videos and photos. The 30mm filter diameter lets you add optional wide angle and telephoto conversion lenses.
Digital Zoom: The camcorder features a 12x digital zoom that can be activated to increase the overall zoom to 300x. Because the picture is processed digitally, the picture quality deteriorates the more you zoom in. The power zoom lever can be moved slightly for a slow zoom, or moved further for a faster zoom.
SteadyShot Image Stabilization: The CX150 features SteadyShot image stabilization to compensate for camera shake. There are two levels of SteadyShot, Standard and Active Mode.
Low Lux: You can record bright color images, even in dim light (3 lux) in the Low Lux mode.
Focus Modes: The Sony Handycam HDR-CX150 features Manual, Auto Focus, Spot Focus, and Tele Macro modes.
- Manual Focus: With manual focus, you can manually adjust the focus of the camcorder using the touch panel. Manual focusing also allows you to control the focus in difficult situations where either the environment or the subject does not allow the camcorder's auto focus to perform optimally, such as when shooting through a window or in a crowded environment.
- Auto Focus: You can also select automatic focusing. When using autofocus, you can choose to focus on a subject in the center of the screen or with Spot Focus, focus on an off-centered object. The minimum distance between camcorder and subject while maintaining sharp focus is approximately 13/32" (wide angle) and 31-1/2" (telephoto).
- Spot Focus: You can select and adjust the focal point to aim it at a subject not located at the center of the screen.
- Tele Macro: This feature is useful when shooting small subjects, such as flowers or insects. You can blur out backgrounds and the subject stands out clearer. You can recorded subjects as close as 15" in Tele-Macro mode.
Face Detection Technology: Made possible by the BIONZ image processing engine, Face Detection technology recognizes up to 8 faces anywhere in the frame and by selecting the most prominent, automatically controls focus, exposure, and color to help capture smiling faces brightly and clearly for video or photography. Face Detection technology also helps make skin tones look natural without affecting other colors in the image. The AVCHD camcorder allocates encoding bits on detected face areas prior to encoding other parts of the picture, making them sharper and clearer. In still picture mode, Face Detection technology also sets the flash level to optimize picture clarity.
Smile Shutter Technology: Smile Shutter technology lets the camcorder automatically take still photos when your subject smiles, even while shooting high definition video. You can also set the sensitivity (High/Medium/Low) and choose child, adult, or auto priority.
Exposure Modes: The Sony Handycam HDR-CX150 features the following Auto, Manual and Scene Select Exposure Modes:
- Manual Exposure: Manual Exposure allows you to fix the brightness of your picture manually. You can adjust the brightness when the subject is much brighter or darker than the background.
- Auto: Select this mode to automatically record pictures effectively without the preset scene select modes
- Scene Select Modes: The following Scene Select modes
are available to suit your specific shooting requirements:
- Twilight Mode: maintains the darkening atmosphere of the distant surroundings in twilight scenes
- Twilight Portrait: enables you to take photos of people and background using a flash
- Sunrise/Sunset Mode: maintains the atmosphere of situations such as sunset and sunrises
- Landscape Mode: allows you to shot distant subject clearly
- Fireworks Mode: select to record all the splendor of fireworks
- Portrait Mode: brings out the subject such as people or flowers while creating a soft background
- Spotlight Mode: prevents people's faces from appearing excessively white when subjects are lit by strong light
- Snow Mode: help with shooting in very bright white conditions
- Beach Mode: prevents people's faces from appearing dark in strong light or reflected light.
Spot Meter: You can adjust and fix the exposure to the subject, so that it is recorded in suitable brightness even when there is strong contrast between the subject and the background, such as subjects in the spotlight on a stage.
Spot Meter/Focus: You can adjust the brightness and focus for the selected subject simultaneously. This function enables Spot Meter and Spot Focus at the same time.
Manual Exposure: You can fix the brightness of a picture manually. You are able to adjust the brightness when the subject is too bright or too dark.
White Balance Adjustment: Sets the color balance to the brightness of the recording environment. Your choices are:
- Auto: The white balance is adjusted automatically.
- Outdoor: The white balance is adjusted for the following conditions: Outdoors, night views, neon signs and fireworks, sunrise, sunsets, under daylight fluorescent lamps.
- Indoor: The white balance is adjusted for the following conditions: Indoors, party scenes and studios where lighting conditions change quickly, and under the video lamps or incandescent-like color lamps.
- One Push: The white balance will be adjusted according to the present ambient light.
- Manual: You can adjust the bluish and reddish tones manually.
Back Light: You can use the Back Light function to automatically adjust the exposure for backlit subjects.
Guideframe: The Guideframe displays a frame around the recorded images and allows you to check the subject's horizontal and vertical position.
Data Code Function: The camcorder automatically records time codes along with the images you shoot, so you can display the date and time during playback or editing.
Bravia Sync: You can operate this camcorder with the remote control of your 2008-up Sony Bravia television when connected together via HDMI.
Visual Index: The Visual Index allows you to view back 16 of your still images and/or videos at one time on the LCD screen from the camcorder's internal memory or optional memory card.
Date Index: You can search for desired images recorded onto the camcorder's internal memory by date. You cannot use the Date Index function for images recorded on Memory Stick PRO Duo or SD/SDHC media.
Internal Memory/Memory Card Information: This feature allows the camcorder to display the internal memory or memory card information so you can check the approximate amount of free space left for recording.
Formatting: You can delete all the images on the internal memory of the camcorder to recover recordable free space by formatting the camcorder.
Protect: You can protect movies and photos to avoid deleting them by mistake.
Multi-Language Menu: The camcorder allows you to select between English, French, or Spanish for the unit's menu language.
Video Recording: The Sony HDR-CX150 allows you to record video on the built-in 16 GB internal memory, or to an optional Memory Stick Pro Duo or SD/SDHC memory card. When recording video, the camcorder records audio in Dolby Digital 2ch audio using the built-in microphone. When recording, you can choose to record in high definition (HD) or standard definition (SD). In the default setting, movies are recorded with high definition image quality on the camcorder's internal memory. You have the following HD and SD choices of video recording resolution quality:
- High Definition Recording Mode:
- AVCHD 24Mbps (FX): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1920 x 1080 format (highest quality)
- AVCHD 17Mbps (FH): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1920 x 1080 format (high quality)
- AVCHD 9Mbps (HQ): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1440 x 1080 format (average quality) (Default)
- AVCHD 5Mbps (LP): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1440 x 1080 format (long play quality)
- Standard Definition Recording Mode:
- SD 9Mbps (HQ): records in 720 x 480
|Video Recording Times|
|Recording Mode||16 GB Internal Memory||32 GB
|HD FX||1 hr 25 min||2 hrs 55 min|
|HD FH||1 hr 55 min||3 hrs 50 min|
|HD HQ||3 hrs 50 min||7 hrs 45 min|
|HD LP||6 hrs 35 min||13 hrs 10 min|
|STD HQ||3 hrs 55 min||7 hrs 55 min|
Wide Select: When recording with SD (standard definition) image quality, you can select the recording aspect ratio according to the TV connected: 4:3 or 16:9. When in HD mode the camcorder is automatically set to 16:9.
Smooth Slow Recording: The camcorder features Smooth Slow Recording which increases the record rate from 60 fields per second (fps) to 240 fps for 3 seconds, allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion video and play the clip back in slow motion for 12 seconds.
Fader Modes: You can select from "Black Fader" or "White Fader." You can add these modes to currently recorded pictures for fading in or out.
Face Index: Face Index makes it easy to find and play back the right video scene. Using Face Detection technology, Face Index indexes your video footage according to the faces detected in each scene. When it's time to play back video, simply search for what you want by selecting from among the detected faces displayed in the index
Film Roll Index: Like chapters in a book, Film Roll Index helps you easily find desired scenes in video footage. When using this feature, the camcorder previews the beginning of scenes and can create scene indexes set at specified display intervals (3, 6, or 12 seconds and 1 or 5 minutes).
Highlight Playback: The camcorder selects a number of short scenes at random, puts them together, and plays them back as a digest of your high definition image quality (HD) movies with music and visual effects. Highlight Playback uses several criteria: including Face Index, Smile Shutter technology, Dual Capture and time range, to identify and compile key scenes into a short, entertaining movie complete with music and transitions.
Note: You cannot record a scene and specify it as highlight scene. Scenes are selected randomly and differ each time during Highlight playback.
Create Playlist: You can create a playlist of your favorite videos for playback. A Playlist is a list showing thumbnails of the movies that you have previously recorded and selected. You can add a maximum of 999 movies with HD image quality or 99 movies with SD image quality to a Playlist. The original movies are not modified even if you edit or delete the movies in the Playlist.
Divide Movies: The Divide Movies feature allows you to divide movies on the internal memory of the camcorder. You cannot restore movies once they are divided.
Digital Still Image Recording: The HDR-CX150 can record JPEG still images on either the unit's built-in 16 GB internal memory or on an optional memory card.
Image Resolution: You can record still images in the Photo Recording mode, and while recording a video (Dual Recording). You can also capture a still photo image from a recorded video. The following resolutions can be selected:
- Photo Recording Mode:
- 2048 x 1536 (4:3)
- 2048 x 1152 (16:9)
- 1600 x 1200 (4:3)
- 640 x 480 (4:3)
- Dual Recording Mode:
- 2208 x 1244 (16:9)
- 1664 x 1224 (4:3)
- Photo from a Movie:
- 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
- 640 x 360 (16:9)
- 640 x 480 (4:3)
Self Timer: This feature starts to record your still image in about 10 seconds after the "Photo" button is depressed.
Slide Show: You can automatically play back images stored on the internal memory of the HDR-CX150 or from an optional memory card.
Playback Zoom: You can magnify still images from about 1.1 to 5x the original size during playback on the camcorder's LCD monitor.
Image Delete: Images may be deleted one at a time or all at once.
Battery: This unit operates on the NP-FV50 InfoLithium rechargeable battery, and the optional NP-FV70 and NP-FV100. The InfoLithium system exchanges data about its actual power consumption with the camcorder for a more accurate estimate of recording time available. Cold temperatures will increase battery consumption.
Battery Display: At the touch of a button, battery information is displayed on the LCD screen when charging and when the camcorder is turned off. The display will show how much the battery is charged, in 10% increments and the recordable time left when using the LCD screen or in the viewfinder.
Battery Life: The approximate recording, play back, and charging times, in minutes, using the supplied NP-FV50 and the optional NP-FV70 and NP-FV100 battery packs:
|Battery Pack||Continuous Recording||Typical Recording Time||Playback Time||Charging Time|
Note: Typical recording time shows the time when you repeat recording start/stop, switching the MODE lamp, and zooming.
Auto Shut Off: When powered by the battery the camcorder can be set to turn off automatically if not used for 5 minutes.
A/V Output: This camcorder features a proprietary Audio/Video connection for use with the supplied composite or component A/V connecting cables for displaying the camcorder's contents on your television. An optional S-Video cable is available for connecting the camcorder to a TV with S-Video inputs. The component video output can be set to 480i or 1080i/480i.
mini-HDMI Output: High definition video can be output and seen on your connected High Definition television. Using the camcorder's mini-HDMI port. The camcorder's HDMI Output supports up to 1080p. The mini-HDMI output can be set to Auto, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or 480p for HD contents and Auto, 480i or 480p for SD contents.
Note: The camcorder does not come supplied with an HDMI cable.
USB Port: The camcorder has a mini-USB version 2.0 jack for connecting to a PC via the supplied USB cable. Connecting the camcorder to a PC via USB allows the computer to access the information on the camcorder's internal memory or memory card. You will be able to download still images and video files to your computer.
Memory Card Slot: The camcorder features a memory card slot for recording video or still images using Memory Stick Pro Duo or SD/SDHC memory cards. Still images and video are recorded on the internal memory in the default setting.
DC In Jack: The DC In Jack is for use with the supplied AC adapter and charger.
Included Software: The included software allows you to transfer images and video from the camcorder to a computer and view and store transferred images/videos. The supplied CD-ROM includes:
- Picture Motion Browser Ver.5.0
- Handycam Handbook
- Product Registration
Picture Motion Browser Software: You can enjoy the following functions after installing the supplied Picture Motion Browser Software on your PC:
- Importing images to a computer
- Viewing and editing imported images
- Creating a disc
- Uploading movies and photos to websites
Computer Requirements: Picture Motion Browser is for Windows users only and is not compatible with Macintosh computer.
Picture Motion Browser (Windows only)
Windows XP SP3 (64-bit and Starter Editions not supported)
Windows Vista SP2 (Starter Edition not supported)
Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz or faster
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz or faster
(Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz or faster is required when processing HD FX or HD FH movies.)
XP: 512 MB or more (1GB or
more is recommended)
Windows Vista/Windows 7: 1GB or more
|Hard Disk Space||Disk volume required for installation: Approximately 500 MB (10 GB or more may be necessary when creating AVCHD format discs. 50 GB maximum may be necessary when creating Blu-ray discs).|
|Display/Graphics||Minimum 1,204 x 768 dots|
|Software||DirectX 9.0c or later|
|Others||High Speed USB 2.0 port, Blu-ray disc/DVD burner (CD-ROM drive is necessary for installation)|