Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's DAV-DX255 makes it easy to add detailed home theater sound and crisp DVD playback to your TV. This system includes a 5-disc DVD changer/receiver, five speakers and a subwoofer. The compact satellite speakers are perfect for rooms where space is tight.
With 1,000 watts of power and built-in surround processing, this system delivers room-filling sound for both movies and music. Load DVDs, CDs, and MP3 mix discs in the 'DX255's 5-disc changer, or connect an iPod® or MP3 player to the front-panel audio input to listen to your favorite tunes. An audio/video input lets you hook up a VCR, digital video recorder, or video game console.
And Sony's made setup easy, too. Speaker wire is included, so you're ready to hook up the speakers right out of the box. And a handy auto calibration feature makes it a snap to get this system adjusted properly for your room. Just place the included microphone in your favorite listening position, and the DAV-DX255 automatically sets its own speaker distance and delay settings.
5-disc DVD/CD changer/receiver:
- plays DVD-Video discs, DVD-Rs & DVD-RWs, and DVD+Rs & DVD+RWs
- plays CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, & Pro Logic® II processing, for surround sound from DVD, VHS, and stereo sources
- selectable progressive-scan playback for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- 6-channel amplifier (143 watts x 5, plus 285 watts for subwoofer)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration
- digital tuner with 30 AM/FM station presets
- 1 stereo analog audio input
- 1 front-panel minijack audio input for connecting an iPod® or MP3 player
- video output for TV (composite, S-video, component video)
- 16-15/16"W x 3-3/8"H x 16-9/16"D
- 2-9/16" woofer
- 3-15/16"W x 8-2/3"H x 3-3/16"D
Center channel speaker:
- 2-9/16" woofer
- 10-1/4"W x 3-3/4"H x 3-7/16"D
- 2-9/16" woofer
- 3-5/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 3-1/4"D
- 6-5/16" driver
- 9-1/2"W x 14-3/4"H x 15-3/8"D
- remote control
- speaker wire included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Sony DAV-DX255 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great sound, easy set up with the auto calibration feature. More than enough power for most. It would have gotten 5 stars but there is no audio out. A bummer if you want to copy family DVD's with this machine.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I am surprised at how "basic" this product is... very few options... very little power. I would not recommend this - pay more for a robust product.
It's worth it!
I bought this system for a gift to my husband. I researched for over a month to find the best system for the $$$ I could spend. NONE of the reviews I read mention, though, that it's a little more difficult to hook the Sony up if you have an older TV. After buying a modulator, and trying again, we finally had to call customer tech support at Crutchfield (THEY are wonderful)-we had everything correct except 1 wire, which promptly fixed our little problem.
The system sounds excellent. We have a long, galley-style living room, and the sound is almost like being at the movie theatre! Watching a bowling tournament on TV yesterday, I swear, it sounded like being in the bowling alley! Definitely worth the price, and it's not as complicated (I'm sure) if you have a newer television :)
Don't be afraid to call Crutchfield for service-they're super nice and very helpful!!!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I didn't have high expectations for this unit. I was looking for a sound system for our living room TV. After hooking it up, I was very satisfied with the ease of setting up, the automatic sound leveling, and the fact that this contains an AM/FM tuner. A truly great value for the money.
Where is the power
This system is advertised at 143 watts x 5. My sony 925 has 110 watts x 5. I wish They would set a standard on this. The 925 sound's 2 time's as powerful as this system with less power. how is this? The pickup mechanisem on the DVD player is very slow. it scan's for 20-30 sec. Don't get me wrong this is a great system but for a small bedroom theater. That would be awsome. Later Glenn
the dvd player works excelent, the sound quality is great even though the cost isnt that high. it is a good product for the money
What's in the box?
- HCD-DX255 5-Disc DVD/CD changer/receiver
- Two SS-TS52 front speakers
- Two SS-TS51 surround speakers
- SS-CT51 Center speaker
- SS-WS52B Passive subwoofer
- RM-ADU003 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with slip-on "F" connector on one end
- 5' Composite video cord
- Four 16.5' lengths of speaker wire with color-coded proprietary terminals on one end and bare wire on the other end
- Two 50' lengths of speaker wire with color-coded proprietary terminals on one end and bare wire on the other end
- Calibration mic with attached 18' cord terminated with male mini-jack plug
- Sheet of 4 self-adhesive rubber pads
- Operating Instructions
- Installation sheet
- Product registration card
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Important Safeguards sheet
System Overview: The Sony DAV-DX255 is a home theater system offering an integrated an 5 DVD/CD changer/receiver with five voice matched satellites speakers for front, surround and center use and includes a 6.375" passive subwoofer.
S-Master Digital Amplifier: This unit is powered by the exclusive S-Master Full Digital Amplifier. It's high-efficient design allows for minimal heat, and takes up 1/4 of the space of conventional amplifiers.
Sound Fields: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of sound fields to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The sound fields include:
- Auto Format Direct Standard: This mode automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS or standard 2-channel) and performs the proper decoding necessary.
- A.F.D. MULTI: This mode lets you playback all types of discs from multiple speakers.
- Dolby Pro Logic: This mode uses monaural rear speakers in 5 channel surround.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Movie: This mode uses five full bandwidth channels from a 2 channel source. Designed for television programming.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music: This mode uses five full bandwidth channels from a 2 channel source. Designed for music.
- 2 Channel Stereo: With this mode you can play any source with just the left and right speakers.
- Headphone 2 Channel Stereo: Listen to any sources through your headphones in 2 channel. The multi channel surround formats are downmixed to two channels.
- Headphone Virtual: This mode outputs the sound as surround sound from your headphones. This mode is effective only when a multi channel source is played.
Disc Changer System: The DVD changer section of the integrated receiver/DVD changer consists of a playing unit and a stocker. The main tray transports the discs in and out of the unit while a sub-tray moves the discs to and from the playing unit. When discs are not being played, they are stored in the stocker. On the front panel, there are 5 individual disc buttons. When a specific disc button is pressed, the stocker moves up and down to position the disc for playback.
Note: Noise may come from the disc changer when changing discs or turning the system on and off. This is just noise produced by the operation of the internal mechanisms and does not indicate a malfunction of the unit.
Disc Compatibility: The Disc changer can play the following discs.
- DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
- Video CD, DVD-VR
- CD, CD-R, CD-RW
- Data-CD (CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW) containing MP3 audio tracks, JPEG image files, and DivX video files
- Data-DVD (DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW) containing MP3 audio tracks, JPEG image files and DivX video files.
Playback Functions: The disc changer has various functions for playing back of your discs.
- Scan: You can locate a point on your disc quickly by playing it in fast forward or fast reverse.
- Slow Motion: You can watch your DVD frame by frame in two speeds.
- Freeze Frame: You can pause a frame of the movie and use the search keys to move frame by frame.
- Search for Title/Chapter/Track: You can search for a particular title or track by entering its number or time code.
- Picture Navigation: This mode allows you to search for scenes by dividing the screen into 9 subscreens to find the desired scene quickly.
- Resume Play: When you stop a disc, the system remembers the point where you stopped. As long as you do not remove the disc, the unit will pick back up where you left off when you push play.
- Program Play: You can play contents of a discs in the order you want by arranging the order of tracks on the disc to create your own program. You can program up to 99 tracks.
- Shuffle Play: You can have the system shuffle the tracks of your CD to play them in a random order.
- Repeat Play: You can play all the titles, tracks or albums on a disc or a single title, chapter, track or album repeatedly.
Multi-Disc Resume: When activated in the menu, the resume playback point can be stored in memory for up to 40 different DVD video/Video CD discs.
A/V SYNC: When the sound does not match the picture on the screen, you can adjust the delay between the picture and sound.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2 and Joliet formats. Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums and each album can have a maximum of 300 tracks.
JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2 and Joliet formats. All JPEG files on a disc can be played back in a slide show. Additionally, you can rotate any selected image 90 degrees counterclockwise. Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums and each album can have a maximum of 300 images.
MP3/JPEG Discs: You can select to play either MP3 or JPEG files on discs recorded with both types of files. If you place MP3 files and JPEG files in the same album, you can play a slide show with sound.
Slide Show with Sound: You can play a slide who with sound by first placing both the MP3 and JPEG files in the same albums on a DATA-CD or DATA-DVD.
PBC (Playback Control) Playback: PBC playback allows you to play Video CDs interactively by following the menu on the TV screen.
Progressive Scan Output: This unit may be set to output a progressive scan or interlaced video signal from the component video output. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film-like, with more fine detail and less flicker. Progressive-scan viewing requires a TV with a progressive scan-compatible component video input.
Dynamic Bass: This feature allows you to reinforce bass frequencies.
Auto Calibration: The D.C.A.C (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration) can set the appropriate surround sound adjustments automatically. Plug the calibration mic into the front jack of the DAV-DX255 and set the mic at ear level from the ideal listening and viewing area. You should make sure that all speakers face the calibration mic and there should be no obstructions between the mic and the speakers.
Screen Setup: You can select the aspect ratio of the connected TV to 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan Scan, or 16:9.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for discs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback of any disc according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 40 discs.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the unit off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set between 10 and 90 minutes in 10-minute increments.
Display Dimmer: You can set the display to one of two brightness levels.
Tuner: This system has a PLL quartz-locked digital synthesizer AM/FM Tuner. You can store up to 20 FM and 10 AM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. You can assign a name of up to 8 characters for each preset. FM tuning is done in 0.1MHz steps and AM tuning is done in 9kHz or 10kHz steps.
Front Speakers: The DAV-DX255 is equipped with video-shielded front satellite speakers (SS-TS52). The front satellites use a single 2-5/8" cone type woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure. The speakers feature a set of spring clip terminals on the back panel. Two M5 threaded inserts are included in each speaker for optional wall mounting brackets or stands. You can also use the provided keyhole slot to hang the speakers on a wall using a single screw. Two 16-1/2' lengths of speaker wire are provided for the front speakers.
Rear Speakers: The DAV-DX255 comes with video-shielded rear satellite speakers (SS-TS51). The rear satellites use a single 2-5/8" cone type woofer in a slightly smaller bass-reflex enclosure than the front satellites. The speakers feature a set of spring clip terminals on the back panel. One M5 threaded insert is included on the back of each rear speaker for optional wall mounting brackets or stands. You can also use the provided keyhole slot to hang the speakers on a wall using a single screw. Two 50' lengths of speaker wire are provided for installation of the rear speakers.
Center Channel Speaker: The center channel speaker (SS-CT51) uses a single 2-5/8" cone type woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure. The speaker has a set of rear-mounted spring clip terminals for use with the supplied speaker wire. The driver is covered by a non-removable, dark grey metal grille. Two keyhole slots are provided on back of the center speaker for easy wall mounting. A 16-1/2' length of speaker wire is provided for the center speaker.
Subwoofer: The system is equipped with a passive subwoofer, which features a video-shielded, front-firing 6-3/8" cone woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure. The main unit provides the power for the subwoofer with an output of 285 watts. A 16-1/2' length of speaker wire is provided for the subwoofer.
Speaker Setup: To obtain the best possible sound, you can set the unit for the size of speakers you have connected and their distance from the listening position. You should also adjust the level and balance of the speakers to the same level using the test tone. You can indicate if you have placed the surround speakers behind or to the side of the listening position. If you do not connect the center or surround speakers, you can configure the unit to adjust the output signals to the connected speakers. After setting the front speaker distance, the default for the other speakers is set accordingly.
IR Remote: The DAV-DX2550 comes with a remote (RM-ADU003) that is pre-programmed to operate this system and a number of functions on Sony brand TVs.
- TV Power
- Video Input
- Volume Up and Down
- Channel Up and Down
- Number buttons 0-9 for direct channel accessing.
Theatre Sync: The Theatre Sync function allows you to turn on your Sony TV and the DAV-DX255, change the system mode to "DVD", and switch the TV's source to the proper input with one button push. You must first register the TV's input source connected to this system. If the initial code transmitting time of the remote is not sufficient to turn on the TV, you can set a time of 0.5 seconds (default) to 4 seconds.
Audio Input: This unit features one analog (stereo RCA) audio input, labeled "TV/VCR" on back of the unit, for use with a TV, VCR, satellite receiver, game console, or other source component. There is also a mini-jack input on the front panel labeled "Audio In" to use with a portable MP3 device or other audio source. This input is also used for the Calibration Mic.
Note: There are no video inputs on this unit.
Video Monitor Outputs: You can connect your TV to the system via composite, S-Video, or component video cables, depending upon the type of video input on the TV. The component video outputs can be set to progressive scanning for a better picture, if the connected TV is compatible with HDTV or EDTV signals.
Head Phone Output: There is a single head phone output on the front of the player to connect your head phones to when you want to listen to music or a movie in private.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.